PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Tracks

H3lx
25-05-2004, 06:05 PM
H3lx - Scream (http://www.clubbing-ie.com/helix/tracks/H3lx%20-%20Scream.mp3)

^^ Pretty hard, bangin, noisy techno... with a heavy guitar kinda thing

H3lx - Gunpoint (http://www.clubbing-ie.com/helix/tracks/H3lx%20-%20Gunpoint.mp3)

^^ not so banging but still chugs along a fair bit anyway, not happy with the mix of it so ill be taking it back into protools again to mix before i master it, but feedback appreciated (once its not regarding levels, coz i know, oh god do i know lol). im also well aware that the crash just as the synths drop in for the first time is miles off time. again twill be fixed, was kinda in a rush to get it burnt in the studio today before i was turfed out

all feedback welcome

dirty_bass
25-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Hmmm
Well the first tune has a nice pumping loop, that is too low in the mix.
that guitar is way to loud, and if you are using protools, then really, you should dump that sample and use something with more life. refx Slayer is a fantastic guitar synth vst that has loads of live, harmonics, feedback etc.
the riff alone isn`t enough to drive this tune, there definitely needs to be more elements within this track, to make it interesting.

The second track, well, as you said, the levels are all over the place, so really these need to be seriously sorted. The kick and percussion is so muffled and buried it`s really hard to get anything clear apart from that really loud synth.

Dude, I`m assuming you haven`t been making techno for very long, and if this is the case, Pro-tools is a seriously pro environment to be working in, and really before you tackle that, you need to get your basics in order, cos from the sound of this stuff it would seem you are buried in technology.
Basic clean eq will help you out for a start.
And as for levels, well, they should be well sorted out, long before you go for final mastering.

Keep us posted on the progress of this stuff.

H3lx
25-05-2004, 06:45 PM
the first tune is purely reason and cubase, no protools, and was mixed through headphones im not particularly used to yet. ill definitely check out that refx slayer vst, you know if there are any evaluation demos online i could have a look at or anything?

second one was mixed on a pair of circle 5 near fields, in a digital sutdio ive only been using for a week or so and am still getting to grips with (im studying sound engineering and music technology at the moment and passed my digital studio techniques exam a few weeks back, so only now am i getting full freedom with the studio. the second tune was made in reason, cubase, and using an akai s6000, korg ms2000 and nord lead 2, then recorded into protools via an o2r, its my first track in that studio and im still getting to grips with protools in so far as the only things im really comfortable with in it are the very basics. just really using it for arrangement, mixing (not very well at the moment tho lol, but im blaming the circle 5s for that one til im used to them) and effects

making techno about 18 months now i think, but have changed my approach since ive started on this course. next year we'll be working exclusively on a protools hd (i think its hd anyway) rig, so my protooling abilities will steadly increase over the coming 18 months hopefully

wont be mastering the stuff myself, as we've been told its best to leave that to someone with a proven track record, as they'll not only do a better job, but will have a fresh ear when it comes to the track, as opposed to myself who would have heard it a hundred times

cheers for the feedback, it really is much appreciated

dirty_bass
25-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, my advice would be, strip things down, go back to basics, and try to treat each instrument as a percussive element. How does it fir with the rhythm. rather than putting a lead hook over the percussion. Try to put it "in" the percussion..
Does that make sense?

H3lx
25-05-2004, 06:55 PM
yeh it does indeed, an awful lot of sense actually! top bit of advice that

The Overfiend
25-05-2004, 07:04 PM
My personal opinion is that it is borderline recreating the Chris McCormack Remix to Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

The hats need compression and a bit of filtering on a rig it may shock the eardrum. The guitar needs more sinister tones layering and throw some reverb on it other wise you just have guitar stabs. Maybe a lil delay on the alarm give it a softer more ominous tone.
It's not bad by far better than a lot I've heard. But these few points I feel would make the song easier to digest.

H3lx
25-05-2004, 07:06 PM
My personal opinion is that it is borderline recreating the Chris McCormack Remix to Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

The hats need compression and a bit of filtering on a rig it may shock the eardrum. The guitar needs more sinister tones layering and throw some reverb on it other wise you just have guitar stabs. Maybe a lil delay on the alarm give it a softer more ominous tone.
It's not bad by far better than a lot I've heard. But these few points I feel would make the song easier to digest.

which one sounds like that mccormack remix? (havent heard that tune myself to be honest, so its purely incidental)

ill give all those suggestions a go later on! nice one :)

MARKEG
25-05-2004, 09:32 PM
1st thing i noticed about the 1st track is the kick drum was to clippy on the top end.

and i really didn't like the guitar riff. sounded almost trancey i suppose. no real attitude.

hope this helps :)

MARKEG
25-05-2004, 09:35 PM
2nd track: really didn't like the kick drum. it didn't sit at all.

isn't the top riff a total rip off of another track?

come on mate you don't need to blatently sample like this!!!

i'm sure you could create something much better yourself.

MARKEG
25-05-2004, 09:36 PM
PS no offense , just saying my thoughts eh:) ;)

H3lx
25-05-2004, 09:39 PM
2nd track: really didn't like the kick drum. it didn't sit at all.

isn't the top riff a total rip off of another track?

come on mate you don't need to blatently sample like this!!!

i'm sure you could create something much better yourself.

no its not, youre the second person to say that tho

i didnt rip anything off for it, that synth line is a combo of a nordlead 2 and a korg ms2000 in a melody i wrote myself

however im not doubting the fact that people are sayin its exactly like something already out there, coz lets face it, theres only so many melodies completely unmusical people can write with sharps lol

278d7e64a374de26f==