PDA

View Full Version : non-techno tunes that find their way into your box

MangaFish
26-05-2004, 12:04 AM
i'm thinking like radioheads tune which sounded almost techno like (forget the name of the tune) being played in a set

or maybe you just love sticking an s-club 7 acappella over pontape :lol:

TechMouse
26-05-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm not averse to the odd breaks track dropped in for good measure.

You have to judge it well though... and it needs to be really tough breaks.

AcidBastard
26-05-2004, 12:46 AM
I have some Pink Floyd records I like to mix in on occasion, and it gets really good crowd reactions.

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Man, I got loads of stuff I play in a techno set that isn`t techno.

Some Front 242
Underworld
Phat Planet by leftfield (limited rmx)
An andrew weatherall remix of living colour`s auslander
NIN remixes
Loads of ambient stuff
Some industrial bits and bobs
Some Fluke
all sorts really

TechMouse
26-05-2004, 02:32 AM
Nine Inch Nails... bring it on...

Si the Sigh
26-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Plenty of breaks in my box at the moment...

T
26-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Can techno only be playedf as part of a purely techno set?? not in my book. On My pals rig we play everything form dub, hip hop, breaks, electro through to drum & bass and techno covering the full spectrum of music we love. So plenty of techno and non techno stuff finds it's way into our boxes.

Some stuff I palyed at the weekend included some Universal Project, Chris Su, BMB, LFO, Dexorcist, Forshaw, PAS, Source, Vibert.

gumpy green
26-05-2004, 12:27 PM
survivor -eye of the tiger.
bit of hip hop...eg krsone, koolkeith(just for short messages in my mix, not whole songs)
hiphop/electro styled beats with cutting/scratching on top
europe- the final countdown.
danny minogue has found her way in once or twice b4 too.
some accapellas

Its nice to add a wee bit flava to a mix and if done right it goes down a storm.

The last time i played out i dropped europe- the final countdown(just the chorus) 10 mins b4 the end of the night, just to let everyone know it was the FINAL COUNTDOWN to the night......they pretty much all luved it then went mental for the last 10 mins........some were even still signing it in their head on the monday 2 days later......lol......4 hrs o techno and they leave with europe in their heads....hahahahaha.

Play whatever you think sound good but try and work it around your techno....ie build it up as banging as you can then for the chill out after a wee bit hip hop saying that "that shit was funky, ima monkey, not a junkie, i wanna go chunky........ now its time to get back to the program"...then drop the tecno back in.

teknorich
26-05-2004, 01:03 PM
FSOL - Papa New Ginuea.

Old, but sweet...

TripleX
26-05-2004, 01:44 PM
i sometimes mix rock´n roll in, if it ain´t too fast

TripleX
26-05-2004, 01:45 PM
sticking an s-club 7 acappella over pontape :lol:
:lol:

MangaFish
26-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Can techno only be playedf as part of a purely techno set?

i've never been one to still to genres. (mainly because i cant tell one genre from another :lol: )

i was thinking more abstract tunes you wouldnt expect to hear in a techno club but work wonders

MangaFish
26-05-2004, 05:29 PM
survivor -eye of the tiger.
The last time i played out i dropped europe- the final countdown(just the chorus) 10 mins b4 the end of the night, just to let everyone know it was the FINAL COUNTDOWN to the night......they pretty much all luved it then went mental for the last 10 mins........some were even still signing it in their head on the monday 2 days later......lol......4 hrs o techno and they leave with europe in their heads....hahahahaha.

hehehe - thats quality

anx
26-05-2004, 10:19 PM
henry ended of with sex pistols - god save the queen last friday, we all went nuts and started moshing

networkacid
26-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit... Just to **** with peoples heads.

KLF - 3AM Eternal... If I'm feeling cheeky.

jonnyspeed
27-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Ray Keith EPs
On U Sound LPs
Selected VCF = 'Acid War' and 'Acid Air Raid'

matt303
27-05-2004, 06:50 PM
i mix the Rapture 'house of jealous lovers' up alot at home, but don't play out enough to have the balls to drop it in an hour set.

Inquisitor
27-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Lots of electro-pop from the 80s(from tears for fears to gary numan, and of course depeche mode etc) can go together very well, if the timing and all is suitable. Also stuff from laibach and some other industrial shit...depends on the type of the set...

g
27-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Sheila E - Glamorous Life
Bananarama - Cruel Summer
Tool - Faaip de Oiad
stuff from Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden... that gets some looks ;)

gary_human
27-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Ive been known to drop Missy Elliott's original (not no cheesy house mix) 'Get Ur Freak on' over some Crystal Distortion track and used to drop Kosheen's Hide U over Squat 001 for the chemical generation - used to blow the roof off!!!

I love dropping anything that will mix over techno or them weird Noodles / V/Vm Records like DJ Jerome does, you just gota be confident, cheeky and stupid enough and then you get know for your own style - love the fact someone drops tears for fears and 80s pop - AWESOME DUDE!!!!

I heard DJ Rush play the original Three is the magic number at Lost once - I didnt expect that!!!

:lol:

serox
28-05-2004, 12:09 PM
depeche mode, many.

yorkie
28-05-2004, 12:39 PM
i think that mixing other styles into a techno set can really pay off. it is a lot easier to do this than with other more clean cut genre's such as the likes of Digweed, Sasha, Oakenfold style prog-trance. this is one of the things i really like techno.

putting in to many non-techno tracks into a set can spoil it though. i feel that moderation is the key. you can pretty much get away with playing anything in a tachno set as long as this moderation is adherred to (IMO anyway ;) )

yorkie
28-05-2004, 12:40 PM
:oops: should have checked the spelling before posting that last post

d'oh

you get the drift though i'm sure

serox
28-05-2004, 12:50 PM
would be nice to have a edit function here, has it been disabled in the admin area :?:

davethedrummer
28-05-2004, 11:09 PM
don't get a chance to play much non-techno out
for fear of a promoter who's just spent his lifes savings
on me (ahem not quite ) running over and saying " WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING????"

having said that plethora in hackney every second thursday has provided and excellent venue for all tired old jocks to play what they want as long as it isn't free party techno

i've been spinning bit's of house and minimal acid , breaks, hip hop and new wave/punk

great fun. we all need to do it some more i'm sure.

disco diva
28-05-2004, 11:16 PM
what ya gonna play on mon at Twist Henry?? :?:

romelpotter
28-05-2004, 11:23 PM
i have a tape where i mixed that "rabbit" track by chas and dave, it was funny as **** but it was mixed well though hahahaha :twisted:

davethedrummer
28-05-2004, 11:51 PM

you've got me there!

DJMAYA
29-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Lionel Ritchies 'allnight long'

plus yea im playn loadsa house and a wee bit breaks at the mo. doing 5 hours sets in bars so go through house breaks and techno.

acidchild
29-05-2004, 06:16 AM
I would play the hell out of DEVO if could ever find some vinyl. Especially the songs "That's Good" and "Peek a Boo" =o] I got some older industrial cuts i like to throw in every now and then. Noise Unit, etc.

disco diva
29-05-2004, 08:39 AM

you've got me there!

well whatever it is, im sure it'll be ace, looking forward to it, see you mon ;)

MangaFish
29-05-2004, 12:19 PM

you've got me there!

well whatever it is, im sure it'll be ace, looking forward to it, see you mon ;)
groupie :P

maily
29-05-2004, 02:58 PM
LSG: black series / subraumstimulation :love:

278d7e64a374de26f==