PDA

View Full Version : New audio experiments

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 04:18 PM
ok well, as part of my frive to dig deep, and experiment more, I`ve begun my new journey to take my techno who knows where.
Here is my first semi-complete outing to a different sound, but this is more a stepping stone to somewhere else.
Let me know your opinions

http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/Beauty_Ripped.mp3

xfive
26-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Well... let's see here ;)
First thing I noticed was the DnB style percussion that carries it's way through the track - good stuff.
The hi-pitched 'hook' synth was a cool sound - somewhat electro tinged, as was the main beat.
I think the kick could be a bit beefier - unless you were trying to go for that dampened sound... but that kinda leads me to the next thing -
I was waiting for the main beat to drop - whatever it may have been... just something to make me groove.
Granted I am only making these comments based on this thing standing up for itself, which sometimes is not very necessary at all. I enjoy making and using techno that is supposed to be more of a mixing tool. But if you are trying to have this be something that stands on its own... I think it needs a bit more balls :rambo:

I do like all of the sounds and ideas ... maybe just add some more layers.

That's my $0.02 :)

Cheers,
-Chris

xfive
26-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Ah also just wanted to mention that I'm listening on headphones so I'm sure my mileage may vary when it comes to how this sounds compared to if I had played it on the studio monitors.... but usually things sounds pretty damn decent on 'em.. ;)
I'll try to check it out again once I get home.

-Chris

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 06:18 PM
No, all fair comments I think. Although ona big rig, I think this would pound, I`ll test it at the weekend)

I`m gonna add some more percussion loops over the top

xfive
26-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Although ona big rig, I think this would pound, I`ll test it at the weekend)

Agreed - I can hear hints of the nice deep bass - I'm sure it will pound on my sub at home :)

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 07:27 PM
hints!!!

if I hint any more sub in, I`ll blow me monitors, it` appears to me the mid range that needs beefing up

xfive
26-05-2004, 07:41 PM
hints!!!

if I hint any more sub in, I`ll blow me monitors, it` appears to me the mid range that needs beefing up

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I said - these headphones aren't anything to write home about (typical silver sonys....)
heheheh

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Well, I`ve added some heavier percussion now, same link.

I`m gonna work on a twisted lead and some ****ed up vocals over the next couple of days.

I may be dissapearing up my own asshole with this stuff, but I`m seeking a new sound

dan the acid man
26-05-2004, 08:30 PM
nice track, really nice crisp top end, lot's of sub, can only just tell it's there on my hi-fi speaker's but it's there (i'll have to get some monitor's sometime), i agree on it missing some mid range though.

xfive
26-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Hmmmmm
I dunno about the percussion that comes in before and after the break... gives it a bit of an offtime feel.. like someone dropped in a record at the wrong time.. heh .. And it drowns out some of the hi end.

Am I smokin' crack? :lol:

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 09:36 PM
no, your right, it definitely gives an off time, what the **** kinda feel.
I`m still working through so this is by no means a final eq mix

dirty_bass
27-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, I`ve tweaked and edited, and I think this is now the final version before vocals and mastring, same link as before.

xfive
27-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah I like this much better. The eq tweak on the off time perc helped it mesh in well without screwin up the groove. Be sure to post the final one ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==