PDA

View Full Version : Glitch techno

teknorich
26-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Been listening to lots of minimal techno in the last couple of years, but been getting more into the Glitchy sound recently. Still minimal, but not as chilled and dubby, more rough, chunky, weird. Been listening to people like Magda, some Matthew Dear sets (though not all as he can get quite jazzy), some stuff on Shitkatapult. Anyone recommend some names for me to hunt mixes?? Want weird, glitchy, distorted techno, but still 4 to the floor, not wonky. Any Magda soundalikes that I should check out??

MangaFish
26-05-2004, 05:23 PM
if i'm understanding what your after correctly, the label 4x4 has some good stuff on there

dirty_bass
26-05-2004, 06:20 PM
4x4 is most definitely not glitch techno
hmmm I know what you mean, but I am looking for the same thing myself

massplanck
26-05-2004, 06:29 PM

try BPitch/Kompact/Force Tracks for this type of stuff.

MangaFish
26-05-2004, 07:37 PM

4x4x13 clanging was the track i was thinking of.

is there any examples of glitch techno i could listen to?

jonnyspeed
26-05-2004, 08:31 PM
You mind find alot of what you are looking for in the wonkier labels. Alot of Neue Hiemat has 4/4 releases. Mark Hawkins in very interesting stuff. You also might like the stuff on 4x4 - there are generally 4 styles = funky, clanky, hard and deep.

jonnyspeed
26-05-2004, 08:42 PM
here's a good start. Wanna tell us which releases on Shitkatapult you liked? - as its a pretty varied label it might give us more of a clue :lol:

Shitkatapult catalogue at Music-Head.de (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.filter-alle2.sort1-artist.sort2-titel.eq_label-Shitkatapult.html)

rock on!

g
26-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Been listening to lots of minimal techno in the last couple of years, but been getting more into the Glitchy sound recently. Still minimal, but not as chilled and dubby, more rough, chunky, weird. Been listening to people like Magda, some Matthew Dear sets (though not all as he can get quite jazzy), some stuff on Shitkatapult. Anyone recommend some names for me to hunt mixes?? Want weird, glitchy, distorted techno, but still 4 to the floor, not wonky. Any Magda soundalikes that I should check out??
Perlon, Areal, lots o stuff. You might want to look up Villalobos's mix cds and scan the tracklists, good place to start. Stuff coming out on Minus soon as well. Mathew Jonson is another. also peep the tracklist from hawtin's march 10 '04 peel session.

Esox Lucius
26-05-2004, 09:05 PM
you heard much thomas brinkmann stuff? you might like it, check out basic channel aswell and stewart walker, might not be what you are looking for but worth a try.

teknorich
27-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Basic Channel/Maurizio etc is too dubby/gentle for me. I've got a few things from the Force Inc label, Klang etc. Tracks like "Tod eines Hippie Maedchens" by Reinhard Voigt are just superb.
You're right with some Villalobos stuff; he can get too jazzy sometimes, but when he gets glitchy/clicky it's superb (I love his remix of "Kiss tomorrow Goodbye" by Auch).
Just downloaded the Daniel bell album last night, and some of that is wicked. Really minimal, literally just beats and beeps. Good stuff!

teknorich
27-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Am also liking "Shufflephunk" by Hawtin, though it's a bit lightweight.

serox
27-05-2004, 12:43 PM
i thought this was 'bleepy' techno ?:) or 'wobbly techno'

teknorich
27-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Hmm... you may be right. (This whole pidgeonhole thing leaves me muddled!)

Basically, I understood Glitch as minimal techno, but dirty, ****ed up, bleepy and weird. Magda style!!

Basic Channel etc is minimal, but all very smooth, pleasant almost easy-listening. I'm looking for a rougher, weirder, nastier version!!!

serox
27-05-2004, 12:57 PM
need mp3 examples i think, so many names for techno now is just silly:)

i like the records that go boom boom boom

teknorich
27-05-2004, 12:59 PM
No mate, I'm not with you at all. I much prefer the ones that go

"bang bang grr bang bang click click....."

Am limited by technology, so you'll just have to imagine your own samples!

Tony
27-05-2004, 01:08 PM
come on people, your showing yourself up here!!
4x4 is not glitch
neue heimat is not glitch

try anything from the kompakt distibution
perlon playhouse
anything from berlin at all
statt musik
klang
ongaku
pasta musik
silke maurer
revolver
cynosure
force inc
force tracks
edit records
klitekture
punkt music
delay
cytrax
seventh city
minus
isophlux
hipass
parotic
tektite
ungleich
elements on bpitch but not all
spontan
palette (getting more and more glitchy)
background
a touch of class

theres a few to start with.
there are so many labels, but this country is just so far behind europe on textures like this. its embaressing.

to quote the inner cover of the seminal artificial intelligence compilation on warp records

'its not all thump thump nose bleed!'

teknorich
27-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Tony, thank you.

serox
27-05-2004, 01:13 PM
damn, i could not name 10 records from my box.
all i know is what the record sounds like, i can never remeber labels :(
becomes a pain when record shoping and i need to listen through everything for the 100th time.

ncw
27-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Check out Taylor Deuprees' 12s on Audio.nl, also Tomas Jirku on Traum and Trapez...
Nick Rapaciolli - Compare/Skima (Vertical Form)
High Tide - Bits'n'Pieces (Punkt Music)
Anything by Thomas Brinkmann..

teknorich
27-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm just discovering this style, but I'm really getting into it.

Cheers!!

Tony
27-05-2004, 08:27 PM
ooooh, punkt music, very nice!!!

jonnyspeed
27-05-2004, 11:08 PM
come on people, your showing yourself up here!!
4x4 is not glitch
neue heimat is not glitch

only trying to help. Dunno what glitch is then. sorry!

Tony
28-05-2004, 01:00 PM
sorry dude, had pondered that you may have thought i was being rude to you, not the case at all :-)

its poss that that track you mentioned could fit in, but i think i've hit the nail on the head for the chap.
nice one for contributing :-)

jonnyspeed
28-05-2004, 02:45 PM
no worries - not offended. Actually, with a touch of research, I'm a fan of techno on a raw glitch trip. b'in looking for such tunes myself - and never new it. German stuff has always been somewhere I've not really explored, until this year, simply because I find most schranz dull, badly produced and predictable - not all but most (only my opinion)

Sativae and Neue Heimat have jumped from zero to hero, and really seem to be going down well when I play out - so I'm hungry for new interesting tunes - especially ones with programming rather than just a single loops with simple changed to filters and rides = which my 5yo niece can knock up on her bontempi.

jonnyspeed
28-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Man, what the fudge am I on about?

Dave Tarrida - Life's A Glitch

schlongfingers
28-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Man, what the fudge am I on about?

Dunno mate, booth Sativae and Neue Heimat have ALWAYS been top labels, they haven't suddenly started doing anything different - just top class experimental techno.

jonnyspeed
28-05-2004, 10:42 PM
no I mean't zero-to-hero in my record box - wasn't a reference to bad-to-good quality of the label. :oops:

schlongfingers
29-05-2004, 05:08 AM
no I mean't zero-to-hero in my record box - wasn't a reference to bad-to-good quality of the label. :oops:

oops sorree :twisted:

278d7e64a374de26f==