PDA

View Full Version : will vinyl survive..???

conflict
28-05-2004, 09:25 PM
what with the advent of cd mixers and now final scratch,i'm new to this forum,maybe this has been discussed before,but i'd like to know what everyone else thinks.I personally think as long as there are clubs/dj's/technics then people will keep making/playing them....norrit!!

jonnyspeed
28-05-2004, 09:28 PM
yes

MangaFish
28-05-2004, 09:45 PM
too many people are too anal about vinyl for it too die.

schlongfingers
28-05-2004, 09:50 PM
too many people are too anal about vinyl for it too die.

Agreed. Not anal without reason I don't think though, at the end of the day decks are the most tactile medium for a DJ bya long shot - final scratch is an excellent application because it enhances the decks rather than replaces them, but it is always subject to failure because it's based on processors. I can see it becoming a fixture in many clubs, BUT I think the DJ that relies on it and leaves their vinyl at home is taking a big risk!

dirty_bass
28-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I would love to believe that vinyl will survive, but I don`t think it will.
The market has changed, CD and PC technology is good enough and tactile eough now. Vinyl is too expensive to produce, and really, to poor a medium to record on, in terms of frequency range, longevity etc.

dirty_bass
28-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I also would like to add that a lot of people poo poo the end of vinyl because they are staid and inflexible in their ways.

In the filed of Techno, we need to embrace the oncoming technology and utilise it, it is all about progression after all.
How can we be forward thinking musically, and backward technologically?

Evil G
29-05-2004, 12:01 AM
44/16 cds don't sound good enough to replace vinyl. 96/24 dvd audio might be good enough, but i haven't seen any pitch controllable dvd audio players yet, so i think it will be years yet before vinyl dies (if ever).

Sunil
29-05-2004, 12:21 AM
I also would like to add that a lot of people poo poo the end of vinyl because they are staid and inflexible in their ways.

Maybe they just prefer playing vinyl more than they would fiddling with CDs or using a laptop.. I know I do.

DJMAYA
29-05-2004, 12:29 AM
we are not technology yet!

i think that as long as we are human, some of us will want something tactile rather than a file.

dirty_bass
29-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Don`t get me wrong, I`m not trying to provoke at all, I just think the more that we embrace new technology, the more demand there will be to improve it, and therefore our ability to produce wild and wonderful things will be expanded and enhanced. Rather than the 2 records playing at the same time (or wooohooo 3) that we have been stuck in for the last zillion years.

mauronschillib
29-05-2004, 03:07 AM
omG!! can you see that PICTURE?????

batmans shaggin ROBIN : )

i play mp3s nowadasy

Joseph Isaac
29-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Vinyl itself will live because of audiophiles. Vinyl DJs will die. 10 years.

MangaFish
29-05-2004, 05:49 AM
as long as there are humans mixing, there will be irrational choices of medium.

ie i will always prefer vinyl over CD/MP3 purely because of the buzz i get then i buy new vinyl. the feeling i get when i put the needle on the track. etc

doesnt make vinyl any better or worse to DJ with. its all down to preference.

if you look at how clubs still use 1210s as standard yet other manufactures have gained much ground of late. the same will eb said for vinyl vs x. once clubs are set in their ways, its a job to change them

disco diva
29-05-2004, 08:44 AM
silly question really :roll: ;) It's not about being anal either Laurence. It is about about personal choice!

Im all for technology too etc, but for me, a dj turning up with his bag of vinyl is much better then one turning up with a wee mp3 player or whatever it is they use, see dont even know :oops: ;)

It's worrying, cos before long, will dj's become like some of the so-called LIVE*scratchy chin* PA's?? :eh: Bosh a cd in or whatever, mess about looking like they are spinning of the perfect mix, when really they are not, could this be the future?? :?:

massplanck
29-05-2004, 01:59 PM
we are not technology yet!

i think that as long as we are human, some of us will want something tactile rather than a file.

like a good cd deck.

Sunil
29-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Rather than the 2 records playing at the same time (or wooohooo 3) that we have been stuck in for the last zillion years.

Playing 2-3 pieces of music together is what it amounts to, what's the alternative or technological progression to that going to be then? Playing ten tracks on top of one another? I personally see nothing wrong with using decks.. and at least the DJ is making an honest graft of it, unlike many people I've seen using FS, who have every track synced to the same BPM or their entire set pre arranged on screen.

Sunil
29-05-2004, 03:23 PM
unlike many people I've seen using FS, who have every track synced to the same BPM or their entire set pre arranged on screen.

In reference to the above, I guess it's cool that FS should allow DJs to cue up quicker and what not, I just find the whole process to be too clinical at times.

maily
29-05-2004, 04:02 PM
I just think the more that we embrace new technology, the more demand there will be to improve it, and therefore our ability to produce wild and wonderful things will be expanded and enhanced.

i guess you mean having more "live" music in clubs?
i think that has to be a good way to take our music forward,
but at the moment though technology seems like it may be part of what is holding us back, cos you can't really argue with how reliable a pair of turntables and a mixer are, and i don't think you can't say that for a pc based system (or maybe it's just my athritic athlon),
also i don't know about anyone else but at the moment i'm finding it hard enough to afford new vinyl, never mind a laptop and a few hundred quids worth of software,
my two cents

dirty_bass
29-05-2004, 04:12 PM
this is all good, we need to discuss this stuff rather than just say, vinyl is great and vinyl is shit. Proper dialog will help us all.
More good discussions please.

AcidBastard
29-05-2004, 05:17 PM
The way I see it, is if there will be a demand for vinyl then there will be DJ's around to specifically play vinyl. The rise is CDJ's are certainly going to live an impression on how music will be played at events. It's cheaper to download songs that are hard to find else where, and play them back with good quality. But that doesn't mean vinyl production will stop in the coming years just because this is, and will continue to happen.

Records have been the mainstay in the way people have listened to music since, I dunno, was it the 50's? I don't know the exact history of vinyl, but ever since the creation of CD's in the 80's, people still continue to buy and play the 12". I do realize that the CD whatever they're called, you use to mix is just recent technology, but to be honest I think it could have been done many years ago.

In the future, it is going to come down to a high demand for people with CD tables, they're easy to set up. But when that happens, it will deminish the atmosphere of what one person goes through when someone is mixing vinyl. So as long as there is a demand for DJ's who want to play records, people will continue to press records. And the same can be said for people who want to strictly play CD's.

It is all going to happen, whether we like to admit it or not. It all comes down to how we will all embrace such a dramatic change in what has been the standard for so many years.

Buttman
29-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Vinyl will survive but techno will not.

Suck on that one.

Stella Boy
29-05-2004, 07:02 PM

Suck on that one.

Why ? :scratch:

Buttman
29-05-2004, 07:07 PM

Suck on that one.

Why ? :scratch:

Because everyone is just trying to kick life into the corpse.

Stella Boy
29-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Because everyone is just trying to kick life into the corpse.

I guess that includes yourself then Mika?

You may be correct up to a certain degree but techno will survive for many years to come. It's been on this planet for 30 years and has progressed, regressed and stood still but there's always been a re-invention of what people call "techno" at various points of it's life. To say a music genre will not survive is a wee bit narrow-minded just based on your own views.

dirty_bass
29-05-2004, 08:20 PM
yeah, get a grip, I hate coutry and western, and I think it is irrelavent and shite. But it`s still going strong, and listened to by masses of people.

Techno as a genre will not die, it will evolve. Although having people just be negative for the sake of it Mika, is a little pointless.

AcidBastard
29-05-2004, 11:24 PM
I thought this was a discussion about wether or not VINYL will survive.
Make your own post if you think techno is gonna die, which I think is incredibly dumb to post on a techno messageboard :nono:

dcdn
30-05-2004, 04:04 AM
well, first of all somebody said here that there wasnt any 96/24 sound of dvd audio available, well the new pioneers DVJ-X1's which can play well any of the available cd or dvd discs nowadays. including 96 khz 24 bit sound! they're just like cdj 1000 but than also for dvd's (check www.pioneerprodj.com , still i think (getting back to the subject of topicstarter) in about 15 years from now vinyl will disappear from the scene, just because of the technical revolution nowadays. [/quote]

dirty_bass
30-05-2004, 04:07 AM
the resolution argument for vinyl is just silly.
even 44-16 CD has a better frequency response then vinyl.
+ you can do a lot more in the stereo field then the limitations of vinyl.
And with vinyl the louder and deeper the cut the more space needed for the grooves etc.
+ a lot of vinyl is cut from CD master anyway.
I love vinyl, but I hate producing for vinyl, because you have to compromise on sound.

Evil G
30-05-2004, 04:17 AM
i don't deny that vinyl has it's problems, and on a home stereo i think cds sound cleaner and better, but on a big pa system, i prefer the sound of records. at volume very high volume cds sound tiny and cold to me, while records sound warmer and fuller. that warmth could very well be a result of record's poorer frequency response, but i still think it's preferable. i think that most people find a little harmonic distortion adds to the sound rather than taking away from it.

DJMAYA
30-05-2004, 04:26 AM
that would have to be a mainfactor to this proposed progression.
ie that vinyl is limited as to what freguencies can be used.

i didnt know that but i can totally understand how that could limit us as producers....and also that the desire to be able to write for a more suitable resourse would be strong.

But yea, i can hardly afford to buy records when and if i want , let alone soft/hard/ware.....i can wish and dream though(most days)

wrong country....whooooops :clap:

hahahahhaaha :dontevengothere:

Buttman
30-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Haha hit an achilles there did I not? :lol:

jonnyspeed
30-05-2004, 08:11 PM
silly question really :roll: ;) It's not about being anal either Laurence. It is about about personal choice!

Im all for technology too etc, but for me, a dj turning up with his bag of vinyl is much better then one turning up with a wee mp3 player or whatever it is they use, see dont even know :oops: ;)

It's worrying, cos before long, will dj's become like some of the so-called LIVE*scratchy chin* PA's?? :eh: Bosh a cd in or whatever, mess about looking like they are spinning of the perfect mix, when really they are not, could this be the future?? :?:

Good DJ play to the crowd - which is not really something you can prepare. I agree with the CDs vs box of vynl - my reason is more simple = any fukwitt can mix with CD decks that beat match for you - not really alot of skill in that unless you wrote the tunes.

Miromiric
30-05-2004, 08:19 PM
the future is a cpu randomly mixing in top100 chart and ppl avin it bigtime.
are you so blinded that you really dont see that the point of it all is playing music and not beatmatching? beatmatching is a ****ing necessity.
EVERYONE can beatmatch, its really easy, but only 10 ppl in the world can play good music with balls and brains.

jonnyspeed
30-05-2004, 08:54 PM
:roll: no

DJMAYA
30-05-2004, 09:05 PM
yes i agree.

Djs beatmatch and do it very well.
Musicians make music! now that aintso easy no matter what your using.

maybe the technology will take away sm glitches and allow more musical idea to flow? but then hey, isnt it the glitches that make us human :doh:

dirty_bass
30-05-2004, 10:40 PM
I would prefer my equipment to beat match for me, then I can get on with the bit that takes talent and creativity, the actual selection, and the mixing itself.
Anyone can beatmatch, that doesn`t make you a good DJ.

Jah Shaka plays with one deck. And he fukkin rules the roost.

DJMAYA
30-05-2004, 11:08 PM
yup i understand where you're coming from Dirtybass.

Sunil
30-05-2004, 11:09 PM

That's all down to whether you like what he plays or not. He's a good selector is what you mean?

jonnyspeed
31-05-2004, 07:35 AM
I would prefer my equipment to beat match for me, then I can get on with the bit that takes talent and creativity, the actual selection, and the mixing itself.
Anyone can beatmatch, that doesn`t make you a good DJ.

But when mixing becomes a simple job of programming a CD player it loses any organic human feel and just beomes robotic - like when you hear stuio mixes done on computers for mix CD - fuking rubbish compared to a real DJ mixing in one take, warts and all.

You can keep yer CD players, imo.

Komplex
31-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Getting an ego from playing other peoples music is stupid in the first place, let alone how you play other peoples music...

I don't care what a dj plays music on. As long as the end result sounds good I'm happy. And I'm sure 60% of the crowd think the same way. 30% are chin strokers and 10% are just about to pass out and can't hear the music anyway.

;)

dirty_bass
31-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Getting an ego from playing other peoples music is stupid in the first place, let alone how you play other peoples music...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I`ve been saying this for years.

jonnyspeed
31-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I guess staying vinyl will die is like saying the drum machine will replace live drummers. And as history has shown - each has its own place.

peace :cool:

AcidBastard
31-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I guess staying vinyl will die is like saying the drum machine will replace live drummers. And as history has shown - each has its own place.

peace :cool:

You can also say, as long as people keep drinking beer, they'll keep making beer.... ;)

lunatrick
31-05-2004, 11:39 PM
I don't think wether you mix on cd or vinyl makes any difference, my djm 500 has a beat counter - do i use it ?- could I even be bothered to use it? ....don't think so :lol: but theoretically if i was so poor at beatmatching that I needed to use it I can't see it being any quicker or likely to make me a better dj - anyone who plays techno can beatmatch anyway (ok nearly everyone :shock: )....Ok vinyl is louder, but thats whats the gains are there for....but the one area where cd's have the edge is playing out new material. You've finished a track, burnt it and played it that night...your mate gives you his track - no promo's / dubplates to pay for - just 19 pence or whatever for the blank disc - and it's straight on the decks....I know people can perform live pa's but this isn't as easy as turning up with a wallet of cd's (some of which contain tracks you have written yourself) and a pair of headphones......I'm seriously considering getting some cd decks........not to mention the ridiculous weight of vinyl and (although I haven't researched this) probably the greater environmental impact of it. I've tried tractor but i think I would still like the hands on approach of the platter tbh......

The Overfiend
01-06-2004, 12:53 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I`ve been saying this for years.

Totally Agreed.

Methodixxx
01-06-2004, 01:58 AM
Agreed too..... BUT - everyone might be able to beatmix for a few bars, etc... but can everyone beatmix the whole way through tracks (i.e. it never stops beatmixing on 3 decks) for a whole set....? Or for just 15 minutes for that matter...??? I haven't seen too many that can... and I'm talking damn cleanly too... Using Abelton and other auto mixing stuff is for the people that can't... full stop... don't care what you say in response cause thats my opinion... so nerrr! :lol:

dirty_bass
01-06-2004, 02:25 AM
continuous beatsmixing is fine if you are playing songs that are really empty and boring and need to be mixed (DJ Tools) but with real well produced spaceous tunes, it`s crap

Methodixxx
01-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Hahaha.. Jimmy's and your tunes (and ferny's) sound great layered up on 3... just got to know what to layer them with and how, etc.... I guess that means they "are really empty and boring" then though.... ;)

Everyones got their own opinions, I can't see how you can sit there and say mine is crap.....

El bastardo! hehehehe... :lol:

Evil G
01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
i agree. mixing for the sake of mixing is a little self-indulgent. making it sound good, using whatever techniques available, should be the goal.

dirty_bass
01-06-2004, 02:49 AM
Hahaha.. Jimmy's and your tunes (and ferny's) sound great layered up on 3... just got to know what to layer them with and how, etc.... I guess that means they "are really empty and boring" then though....

Everyones got their own opinions, I can't see how you can sit there and say mine is crap.....

El bastardo! hehehehe...

sorry dude, I didn`t mean to come across as having a dig. I wasn`t dissing you likes, I`m just a little bored of certain DJ`s playing endless amounts of empty DJ tools on 3 decks, and essentially wanking off to themselves. Skill over content.

A healthy balance of the the two is required I think.

Methodixxx
01-06-2004, 03:02 AM
Cool... I think we are on the same track then.... cause an hour of dj tools would cause me a brain hemorage too...

go|plastic
01-06-2004, 10:38 AM

I don't care what a dj plays music on. As long as the end result sounds good I'm happy.

Abso-freakin’-lutely man!!! :clap:

djvartan
02-06-2004, 10:49 PM
it will

sash
02-06-2004, 11:46 PM
mixin vinyl is more fun!

djvartan
02-06-2004, 11:50 PM
the smell the feel the look the sounddddddddd

Sam_Horam
03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, I love the skills.

Rather see someone rip it up than bore the **** of of me.

Fortunately, someone who has got that good usually knows a few good tunes.

AcidBastard
03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
the smell the feel the look the sounddddddddd

Just like Johnny Napalm wrote on his DIP release, "I love the smell of vinyl in the morning."

sash
03-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Vinyl is more sexy!

the_psychologist
06-06-2004, 10:59 PM
well, i made the transition to a laptop rig over the past several months, and i just played my first gig with it Friday.

i made the switvh because i'm moving several times this summer, eventually ending up on the opposite coast. evey time i move my vinyl, i swear it will be the last time. THIS time, it is. i have about 1300 records, and even a smallish collection like mine is a bitch to manage. i realized pretty quickly that a laptop rig was the only way i was going to be able to keep mixing wherever i may be.

all i need is the laptop, soundcard, external mixer (if needed, i can also use the software mixer), and amp & speakers. that means i can just bring my backpack to gigs, which holds the laptop, soundcard & cables, Sennheiser HD-25SPs, and a small wallet of audio CDs as backup. with this setup, i can have more music than nearly any vinyl DJ at my disposal. this past Friday, i also stuck about 20 records in the backpack, and mixed vinyl with the WAV files. the really funny part was having a line of spotters watching me mix. people frowned on technology like CD decks before, but they sure seemed ready to embrace it at that gig (let's face it- things like the iPod have made digital music cool).

for the record, i still don't know of any CD decks or software that will mix the tracks for you right out of the box. i find that most BPM counters are inaccurate enough that you HAVE to know how to beatmatch and make corrections to play a superior set. it comes down to the promoter in the end, as they need to be able to distinguish good DJs from mediocre ones (if they even care).

here's how my rig works:

my iBook runs Traktor DJ. i use an M-Audio firewire soundcard that outputs two stereo sources to an external mixer. i ripped most of my best vinyl to WAV files earlier this year, which allows me to clean up pops and crackles, or even edit them (some tunes are just too long for their own good). i can do these things using the SAME laptop, making it self-contained. when i play, i MANUALLY beatmatch everything, and i DO NOT use "beat grids" (this is something that makes the auto-sync more accurate, but you have to do it for every tune, and they can take time to do). the pitch is at least as good as CD decks, and i mix just like i mixed vinyl, by riding the pitch up and down as needed. i also buy some psytrance on CD, and i rip those tunes to MP3 using methods i researched heavily. they sound great loud, which was confirmed Friday.

now, keep in mind this is merely scratching the surface. i have only described how to use a laptop to replace your basic pair of decks. once you can do the basics, the power of Traktor becomes clear. you can loop either/both tracks, and change the loop position on the fly. you can change the loop length on the fly (creating some sick builds). you can use the built-in filter to do nice EQ effects. you can change the tempo within a HUGE range, and lock the pitch where you see fit (and it works, unlike some CD decks i've used). you can set several different cue points, and jump between them on the fly, effectively remixing tunes to your needs. hell, IIRC you can route live beats from Reason into Traktor and mix tunes with them. you can also use Traktor as a basic sampler and drop beats and others sounds at the touch of a key. this is all done with gear stored in one light backpack. oh, and Traktor now has TWO waveforms, one that shows the next few bars, and one that shows the entire track.

trust me, 1200s DO feel the best for long, solid mixes, but they are simply limited in their scope. Technics has barely changed the design in ages, and they still get premium prices.

frankly, i see CDs as a stop-gap measure, and i try to avoid using them at all. digital technology is about shrinking sizes and reducing unwanted hardware. it makes no sense to produce music on a computer, only to burn CDs and then mix the CDs with two large CD decks. it makes far more sense to produce the music, and then mix it straight from the computers.

whew, more to say, but ramble off for now.

jonnyspeed
07-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Only been out to one night where they used CD all night - it was dull as **** automation - completely lacked any of the rawness you get from decks. software that mixes for you is like buying beat counters for your decks.

no thanks!

Rog
07-06-2004, 12:53 PM
just for instance.. 99.9% of psy partys (free stle) only have cd decks.. but i know that vinyl still does sell.. not as much..

but the cd's just cause mass pirecey of the whole scene - one person can buy your work and copy and put it on the web - this can also be done with a vinyl.. but with cd its more common i think.

I can see vinyl dying - but the cd needs to be good enougth - anybody else read about the cd's that have started to rust, lol what the f*ck - i did'nt know they had any metal element in them.. :crackup:

the_psychologist
07-06-2004, 07:10 PM
CDs just don't make sense in the big picture. if vinyl does go away, then i really believe that software solutions will be the answer.

one of the coolest things about Mac rigs is that you can bring your own harddrive loaded with the OS, programs, and your music, plug it into the venue's Mac using firewire or maybe USB 2.0, then boot from your hard drive and have everything all set to play. that's an amazing idea. ONE external hard drive could be all you need to bring, and it would allow you silly amounts of music.

re: the psy scene, i'm still a bit puzzled as to why they stopped supporting vinyl. most of the vinyl that releases is the progressive stuff, with a few major labels like TIP World that also put out vinyl of their big releases. i still get London techno vinyl, and i fail to see how a globally thriving scene like psy can't support vinyl. if the tiny London acid techno scene can still use vinyl, what happened in psy? the advantage for the psy scene is that so much music releases these days. with CDs, it's pretty cheap for homebrew labels to release albums. i adopted the laptop partly because of this change, as i knew most psy parties wouldn't even have vinyl decks installed, and i dislike CD decks.

and for the record, i don't think vinyl makes it that much more difficult to pirate music. there are groups dedicated to releasing new music for download, and they just rip straight from the vinyl. the techno scene lacks any such pirates from what i've seen.

AcidBastard
07-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I just thought of something while going through all these posts.. As more and more people continue to mix with CD's, which I see happening no matter what... The people who are mixing vinyl NOW, will be called the "old school" DJ's, and they'll continue to make records for DJ's who stick by their turntables...

Just think about it, 20 years from now and EVERYONE is mixing with CD's except for the ones who were mixing in the late 80's early 90's... We'll become like a special act, hahaha...I may be dreaming, but the way things are now, and the way things are GOING to be, I can definitally see this happening.

davethedrummer
07-06-2004, 09:40 PM
well the piano has been around for a few hundred years
and vinyl is an instrument so.........

Miromiric
07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
heh decks are..........

the_psychologist
07-06-2004, 10:06 PM
i think the catering has been going on for a long time already, but mostly in "live" music. i remember how Pearl Jam championed vinyl back in their good days.

i love to use 1200s, and i'll always keep them dear, but just look at how the digital revolution has changed every other form of media. (and it hasn't taken long at all, so try to imagine what will happen as technology keeps evolving at greater rates)

vinyl is just too expensive. over here, we pay $10-11 for a single record, which often means $10 or $11 for ONE good track. compare that to paying $15 for a compilation CD with 10 tracks included, and you can see how skewed things are.

let's be honest- the only people who really "need" vinyl are the turntablists. i have trouble imagining software or CDs being able to match vinyl for their needs, though i HAVE seen DJ Shadow do his live act using CD decks.

uh, anyone interested in offering their own opinions based on personal experience? i know Henry has started using Live in his sets. anyone else, or is this really the home of vinyl junkies?

sash
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM
last year for the first time ever (here in oz), turntables out sold accoustic guitars :rambo:

AcidBastard
08-06-2004, 07:54 AM
last year for the first time ever (here in oz), turntables out sold accoustic guitars :rambo:

Now that's some good news :lol:

jonnyspeed
08-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Vinyl sales are on the increase again...

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/low_res/story.jsp?story=527675&host=5&dir=231

CD will be dead before vinyl.

conflict
09-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Now that whats we like to hear

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Divide
09-06-2004, 11:22 AM
My 2 cents on CD's (as theres been a lot of talk on CD's been the main media on this thread)

A lot of people have been talking about embracing new technology to be more creative. Sounds to me that if you want to be that creative then you should setup a live pa and do your own thing. As sunil said, its all about selection/playing 2-3 tracks, bringing them in and taking them out with passion. Not singing along to music or jamming along on a keyboard. There seems to be some confusion between the jocks and the PA's on this thread. I dont seem why DJ's seem to feel they have to be somekinda technological front man. All they are there to do is play the music they love. Its the music itself that really matters

the resolution argument for vinyl is just silly.
even 44-16 CD has a better frequency response then vinyl.
+ you can do a lot more in the stereo field then the limitations of vinyl.
And with vinyl the louder and deeper the cut the more space needed for the grooves etc.
+ a lot of vinyl is cut from CD master anyway.
I love vinyl, but I hate producing for vinyl, because you have to compromise on sound.

True but this brings a lot of problems. I would much rather people use vinyl, CD's seem a bit tacky to me (seriously). You have a lot of people who seem willing to play out mp3's from as low as 128kb/s which does more damage than good imo. Its easy for artists to try out now mixes on the latest piece of software which is a good thing but....

You have a lot a artists using digital kit for mixdown, digital softsynths, softsamplers, digital mixers, digital sounding fruity loops :P. The final mix will sound digital, thats not the problem. You get all that really high 16k and above (not sure the exact freq) cymblant/irritant sound. What if you dont know how to warm it all up or don’t feel the need to. The thought of having to go out and hear all that come out of the latest digital toy is a nightmare (for me). Yea people press from CD masters, but its the pressing which take off those really high freq's that **** your ears and it does warm it up a little. The pressing makes it more analog imo. I am with Jonnyspeed, CD’s sound a lot colder to me too. Do we really need that little bit of extra bandwidth to move things forwards?

Also if its sold on cd as the main media then its going to have a set tempo. It will be copied via soulseek etc. There’s no control on piracy so artists will get less in a scene that already pays peanuts.

I love Pa's, I love technology. I love CD's/ been able to have something played of cd out live!! I dont like digital sounding kits, crap DAC's.

Bring on the hardware, bring on the pa's. Keep the vinyl :lol:

The Divide
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
As for autolocking bpms and auto beatmatching = I like to think that some effort is been put into not just the track selection but the mixing. Not something a 5 year old can operate but to add to that not a mission impossible dj booth that some clubs have.

I am not too sure about it tho, sure I think its really important that things dont get too easy, you need to be able to feel that buzz when you bring something in and its tight. You feel it more and get more into it. Take that away and its as simple as pressing play on device A, play on device B "yawn" move crossfader, blah, blah.

But does that really matter ?? Is making it easier taking away its soul if at the end of the day it sounds good or the same? If you make it too easy will the next gen bored even quicker??

I dont know :crackup:

Rog
09-06-2004, 04:44 PM
monitoring - another story!!! :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==