PDA

View Full Version : The One Family Thing

The Overfiend
29-05-2004, 02:30 PM
I know we've discussed this topic before but, did anyone catch on to the idea that Burkat & Klein were trying to get across?

dirty_bass
29-05-2004, 03:10 PM
erm, no, I have no idea what that was all about, I`ve never really been a fan of burkat, but please elaborate

Sunil
29-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I know we've discussed this topic before but, did anyone catch on to the idea that Burkat & Klein were trying to get across?

I dunno, I never looked into it properly, glanced at a few posts here about it at the time, that was it. What was their point anyway? That techno had been infected somehow by egos and backstabbers or something??

The Overfiend
29-05-2004, 03:18 PM
[quote=SummerOfSam]That techno had been infected somehow by egos and backstabbers or something??

Bada Bing Pow!

dan the acid man
29-05-2004, 03:41 PM
i do love a good burkat tune

Numeric
07-06-2004, 03:29 PM
I dug this LP out again last-night for a quick listen, quality...

The message on the sleeve is quality too, and makes sense...

:clap:

Jimfish
07-06-2004, 03:33 PM
what is the message on the sleeve?

karlo
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
quality LP....all they said in that album on cover, girl voice and everything else - ITS TURE!

Whats happend to one family? :doh:

Yes, true!

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 02:51 AM
I love this album.
I seriously invite more people to check it out.

killarava2day
08-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Certainly an LP that wasn't pumped out in five minutes.

Some wicked intro's too.

Neonkind outfit is wicked. I'd be blown away though if Burkat tried a different base rhythm, being those bloody tribal sticks and shit.

Si the Sigh
08-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Yea, I am still loving this! The intros are wicked, and the tracks themselves bang like fu*k! Great album. :clap:

basslinejunkie
08-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Yea, I am still loving this! The intros are wicked, and the tracks themselves bang like fu*k! Great album. :clap:

best album of last year?? i think so,certainly the best album i was able 2 pick up.

Si the Sigh
08-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Yea man, I'll 2nd you on that! :cool:

massplanck
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
A bit cheesy if you ask me.

http://stat.discogs.com/R/211626-006.jpg

massplanck
08-06-2004, 01:28 PM
cover is cool though... loads pics

http://www.discogs.com/view_images/?type=R&wid=211626

basslinejunkie
08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
i see what u mean,does make sense though.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
i see what u mean,does make sense though.

doesnt. if it did they why werent they so concerned when record sales were better. You dont see artists who are not pinned down to one style trying to make amends this way. Same thing with beyer and b's new record. Is Aphex twin worried about the state of techno?

basslinejunkie
08-06-2004, 01:49 PM
hmmm interesting point.it just depends on how much you read in2 it i suppose.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 01:49 PM
eh. what does this album sound like before i make any assumptions?

duncandisorderly
08-06-2004, 02:09 PM
eh. what does this album sound like before i make any assumptions?

sounds like all lars klein and michael burkats records. well produced forward thinking germanic techno with some vocal bits and wierd noises thrown in too.

Si the Sigh
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
...and it all sounds good to me! :rambo:

duncandisorderly
08-06-2004, 02:19 PM
...and it all sounds good to me! :rambo:

:doh: sorry si. no disrespect to the duo was intended :oops: ... i got 'one family' and loads of their other releases. i love em. i think it was a fair description of their stuff though...

Si the Sigh
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I didn't see it as disrespect mate, I was just saying, no matter how you wanna discribe it, it sounds good to me!! :lol: Loving the avatar by the way... :lol:

dirty_bass
08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
What they wrote is spot on.
At least they are saying something, which might at least mean they care. Which is better than all the coolness, exclusion, and cliqueyness you get from a lot of other people.

jonnyspeed
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
There never was a one family of techno that just the pills talking mate - what a load of fackin' hippy bollocks. One Family my arse. Yer very closest mates and (if you are lucky) some of your family will look out for you - everybody else you trust at your own peril. If you beleave otherwise you're a fool, imo.

An that LP - best album of the year? nar.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
There never was a one family of techno that just the pills talking mate - what a load of fackin' hippy bollocks. One Family my arse. Yer very closest mates and (if you are lucky) some of your family will look out for you - everybody else you trust at your own peril. If you beleave otherwise you're a fool, imo.

Dead right Jonnyspeed. I never heard of this "Big Family" bollocks before either. It's the music industry lads, get over it. They're just jealous they aren't Chris Liebing.

Si the Sigh
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok, so you don't like the One Family thing, but surely you have to agree that the tracks on the album are good, even if you think the idea poo!

massplanck
08-06-2004, 03:21 PM

the only people who push this family idea outhere are the groups of people who can goto liebing/jamie lidell/aphex/francois k/horroist/beyer + weatherall gigs all in the one year... and go home & reflect this in their records. hard techno is inbred.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
the only people who push this family idea outhere are the groups of people who can goto liebing/jamie lidell/aphex/francois k/horroist/beyer + weatherall gigs all in the one year... and go home & reflect this in their records. hard techno is inbred.

Yeah, that's a good point alright.

duncandisorderly
08-06-2004, 03:31 PM
I didn't see it as disrespect mate, I was just saying, no matter how you wanna discribe it, it sounds good to me!! :lol: Loving the avatar by the way... :lol:

heeeeeeeeeey! :cool:

massplanck
08-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Ok, so you don't like the One Family thing, but surely you have to agree that the tracks on the album are good, even if you think the idea poo!

the message is just something we have all being saying to each other for the last 10 years. i dont even know why i'm still going on about it but maybe they are right because it seems that there are knives out already regarding this. :oops:

i'm not pissed off that carl cox or whoever makes 10,000 a gig and gets (HAS) to sleep in kingsize beds, coz i couldnt give a shite. I'm just happy that I live in a well-off part of the world and can indulge myself in music rather than eek out a living in a slum somewhere.

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM

Dead right Jonnyspeed. I never heard of this "Big Family" bollocks before either. It's the music industry lads, get over it. They're just jealous they aren't Chris Liebing.

I don't think Klein has an identity crisis with his place in techno, nor Burkat for that matter. Liebing has done his thing and fairly enough Burkat and Klein are definitely doing the thug dizzle. I don't agree with that one at all. As far as the one family thing it has to do with the mentality that at a time anyone who showed enough love for the music another person who may have had some notariety might start to be cool with them because he saw the realness in their heart about the music, nowadays every wants to keep production secrets to self, book their friends and friends of friends, labels wont even listen to your demo unless you know toms brothers sister in laws girlfriend. The one family thing has turned into the uber nepotism elitist thing. As far as liebing? Umm I hope Klein is not trying to be liebing because his sound by far surpasses Chris, but that's my opinion, based on the fact that liebing is not wooden.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 03:56 PM
nowadays every wants to keep production secrets to self, book their friends and friends of friends, labels wont even listen to your demo unless you know toms brothers sister in laws girlfriend. .

1. why would you want someone else production secrets? unless you wanted to sound like someone else. also check the production sections on countless music boards for no secrets.

2. let them book friends of friends. I'd book mates.. so does everyone else here. They're my family. I bounce shit off them every day and they bounce shit back off me. If they are shit at what they do its different story..

3. If your demo is any good then they will have missed out not you. Maybe the tunes are shite and samey. I dont see Reeko/Fernando and loads of other newbies having a problem getting shit out... Amok et all did it by themselves, got a bit of stick for rushing stuff out but i'm sure will redeem themselves in the future.

you can you can you can.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't think Klein has an identity crisis with his place in techno, nor Burkat for that matter. Liebing has done his thing and fairly enough Burkat and Klein are definitely doing the thug dizzle. I don't agree with that one at all. As far as the one family thing it has to do with the mentality that at a time anyone who showed enough love for the music another person who may have had some notariety might start to be cool with them because he saw the realness in their heart about the music, nowadays every wants to keep production secrets to self, book their friends and friends of friends, labels wont even listen to your demo unless you know toms brothers sister in laws girlfriend. The one family thing has turned into the uber nepotism elitist thing. As far as liebing? Umm I hope Klein is not trying to be liebing because his sound by far surpasses Chris, but that's my opinion, based on the fact that liebing is not wooden.

Maybe they aren't jealous, I still question their motives for all this though. I mean if Burkat or Klein were on the CLR agency, getting 2 grand sterling a gig with business flights would they still be complaining? I see this image/message they are trying to get across to be rather futile, and just a continuation of back biting that goes on within the German techno scene.

Btw. Who says labels won't listen to stuff unless you know someone they know or are in the click? Can you back this up?

dirty_bass
08-06-2004, 04:35 PM
I personally, would like to think that techno attracts open minded people. And has a good collection of intelligent philosophy and out of the box thinking.
Yeah it is a music industry, but we don`t have to behave like all the other ****s in the other parts of the industry. We have our people in all the parts of the chain. Pressing, distribution, printing, booking etc.
So we can change things.
The problem with this scene is shown with the comments in this thread.
Call me a hippy
But Love is Better than Hate.
And I want more brothers in the world I move in than Enemies and aqquantances.
So the one familly thing can work, if we wanna make it work.
but most people wanna perpetuate the negativity that is prevalent these days, fueling their fragile little ego`s with the quick fix of a negative action.

Sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about, and am actively trying to make a difference.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about, and am actively trying to make a difference.

and you are by posting up your thoughts , as is everyone else who mucks in.

these type of forums work better than any message scrawled on a record

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 04:42 PM
nowadays every wants to keep production secrets to self, book their friends and friends of friends, labels wont even listen to your demo unless you know toms brothers sister in laws girlfriend. .

1. why would you want someone else production secrets? unless you wanted to sound like someone else. also check the production sections on countless music boards for no secrets.

2. let them book friends of friends. I'd book mates.. so does everyone else here. They're my family. I bounce shit off them every day and they bounce shit back off me. If they are shit at what they do its different story..

3. If your demo is any good then they will have missed out not you. Maybe the tunes are shite and samey. I dont see Reeko/Fernando and loads of other newbies having a problem getting shit out... Amok et all did it by themselves, got a bit of stick for rushing stuff out but i'm sure will redeem themselves in the future.

you can you can you can.

I wasn't saying me myself dude.
I'm well sorted.
I am well understanding that it all leads back to techno, but yes nepotism and ego were the points that I would think are being made here, not quality control, and someone crying please listen to my demo.

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 04:45 PM

Maybe they aren't jealous, I still question their motives for all this though. I mean if Burkat or Klein were on the CLR agency, getting 2 grand sterling a gig with business flights would they still be complaining? I see this image/message they are trying to get across to be rather futile, and just a continuation of back biting that goes on within the German techno scene.

Btw. Who says labels won't listen to stuff unless you know someone they know or are in the click? Can you back this up?
ummm look at most major label releases, a lot of nepotism no?

massplanck
08-06-2004, 04:48 PM

no. just alot of mates into the same style of /thinking/doing.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I wasn't saying me myself dude.
I'm well sorted.
I am well understanding that it all leads back to techno, but yes nepotism and ego were the points that I would think are being made here, not quality control, and someone crying please listen to my demo.

But ego is just another human trait and which is not just confined to techno. Golfers can have egos . So can champion melon growers.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 05:02 PM

Bigger names sell more records, hence why Mills records on React and not Steve Bicknell, or why Marco Bailey records on Primate and not Tim Baker. If someone's tracks are up to it and they send them to the right people, they will get released eventually; and if Liebing wants to put out a Picotto mix or indeed Burkat a Klein mix then that's their business. The elitist/"You scratch my back" thing is rife to a degree in techno, but it's not a big issue as far as I can see. Who are the people that are being really affected by this or being kept out? There's no-one being really hard done by in this at all. Let the good music just stand up and be counted, as all this techno equality politics and propaganda is a load of shite and a waste of energy.

dirty_bass
08-06-2004, 05:59 PM
as all this techno equality politics and propaganda is a load of shite and a waste of energy.

Once again, my point is proved eloquently.

More love, less hate. Communication is the key, there is too much cooler than Jesus stuff going on.
We can make this more than just another section of the music industry.
Why accept the same normality prevailent in all other music genre`s/business in general.

hmmm

Maybe I`m banging my head against the wall, but if techno is just "I`m alright Jack, Look after no.1", personal gain, then it`s no better than capitalism and the promotion of self over community.

I think we can be better than that.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 06:15 PM
as all this techno equality politics and propaganda is a load of shite and a waste of energy.

More love, less hate. Communication is the key, there is too much cooler than Jesus stuff going on.
We can make this more than just another section of the music industry.
Why accept the same normality prevailent in all other music genre`s/business in general.

hmmm

Maybe I`m banging my head against the wall, but if techno is just "I`m alright Jack, Look after no.1", personal gain, then it`s no better than capitalism and the promotion of self over community.

How groovy would the techno scene be under communisim?
Eastern Europe broke free recently and guess what.....

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 06:25 PM

Tell us about CL-Recordings? How did the label come about? Which artists are signed to the label?

CLRecordings is the main Label, we have four sublabels by now; CLAU, Stigmata, CLretry ( Remix Label) and CLREvo ( stuff from Album remixed) So far on CLR I release mostly my tracks. But all together including all sublables I already released tracks and remixes from Adam Beyer, Speedy J., Steve Rachmad, Mauro Picotto, Smith and Selway; Toneman and many more. Wich is really nice, most of them gets close friends by now; DJing quite often together and sometimes we went together for vacation. I hear often that people think there is a big competition between us, but its totally not wich makes me happy and it makes loads of fun to work like this.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Perhaps so, I just don't think you should be reading into all this so much. Too much undue drama is being injected into this subject/situation. Better off talking about how the music could be improved rather than about how the big names hog the spotlight with their buddies.. that's just the way things are, you can't change those people.

No-one's arguing that there shouldn't be techno communities that look out for one another, of course there should, but we're talking about the Burkat/Klein album here and what it's saying... to me it says very little that is new or indeed constructive, nor does it point to a solution.

dirty_bass
08-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Communism as an idea was cool, but abused.
What does this have to do with anything.
Are you a hater?
Why the negativity?
Isn`t the world dark enough?

massplanck
08-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Communism as an idea was cool, but abused.
What does this have to do with anything.
Are you a hater?
Why the negativity?
Isn`t the world dark enough?

I'm not a hater. I'm extremely happy with (my version) of the techno scene at the moment.

I'm the one who said we should all shut up and be thankful for what we have in this life. i.e the luxury of pissing about with electronic music.

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 06:50 PM
[

No-one's arguing that there shouldn't be techno communities that look out for one another, of course there should, but we're talking about the Burkat/Klein album here and what it's saying... to me it says very little that is new or indeed constructive, nor does it point to a solution.\

Sometime just pointing out the problem on their scale is enough to wake people up to do something about it, or even just know that it exists. ;) I love Sunil an Planck so I don't want them to think I'm going to give em the titty twister. But I'm loving the fact that this discussion is going the way it is. And Steve No Fret. Remember the future will come soon enough.

massplanck
08-06-2004, 07:03 PM
[quote="SummerOfSam"]

Sometime just pointing out the problem on their scale is enough to wake people up to do something about it, or even just know that it exists. ;) I love Sunil an Planck so I don't want them to think I'm going to give em the titty twister. [quote]

I have three nipples so I hope you have three hands. :shock:

Maybe they were right. If they hadnt released this record and someone hadnt started here we would never had this discussion about how shite (some people think) the scene is. So something got us talking again... The One Family Record. I do wanna hear it. Sunil is it in your record mountain?

Sunil
08-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Sometime just pointing out the problem on their scale is enough to wake people up to do something about it, or even just know that it exists. ;)

True enough.

Sunil
08-06-2004, 07:13 PM
The One Family Record. I do wanna hear it. Sunil is it in your record mountain?

No not this one. I do like Burkat and Klein, have been interested to hear it...

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Msn me when you guys both get a chance fellas, I'll hook u up.

Numeric
09-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Regardless of the message on the sleeve, this release should be in everyone's techno collection...

278d7e64a374de26f==