PDA

View Full Version : psychedelic tekky thumper with measured amounts of funk

Evil G
01-06-2004, 08:00 PM
this was an experiment in mashing different styles together. played it live last month and it went off pretty well, but then again, it was 3am, and i think they would have gone off to almost anything. ;)

comments/criticisms are surely welcome.

cheers

heretec.com/mp3s/funkypsytek.mp3

dirty_bass
02-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Some of the sounds sound a little GM to me, and could do with some dirt n grime, and a little thickness.

I think too many of the instruments sound like digital worksation versions of "real" instruments. Jam some analogue in there mate :twisted:

Your best bet, I reckon, is take your sequence and start experimenting with the sounds, see how far you can push em.

Evil G
02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
thanks for the tips.

there are actually no soft synths in this, but i think i know what you mean about the hard digital sound. i suppose i ended up with that because i wrote this specifically to play live, and i was doing everything i could to avoid sounding muddy. i've seen live pa's clear the floor because they sounded muffled compaired to the dj before them, and i really didn't want that to happen to me.

it's good to know that i have some room to play with more washy sounds, as i have a more atmospheric track in the works.

thanks again!

professor
02-06-2004, 09:22 PM
is that vacal sample from the "bum fights" movie? "you betta get out my m-f business...OK?"
I like the track, although it does get a little busy toward the middle. Is it all hard quantised? Seems really on time and mechanical.

Evil G
02-06-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks, meng.

yes, it the sample is from bum fights, and you are right, the midi is quantized.

cheers.

dan the acid man
03-06-2004, 12:57 PM
there's a nice structure to the track, but as dirty said it's all sound's so clean and clinical, add a little dirt and play around with the sound's a little more and you could be onto a winner with this track

StoQ
03-06-2004, 10:40 PM
hmmm, agree with Dan and Dirty Bass - more analogue!!! :twisted:

RichieV
10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
took a listen as well

The bass in this song is non existant . Definately needs some low end boost .
The sounds are too thin
I find the kick does'nt have enough bottom end
When the drums disapear , the track just sounds way too empty. I think having some ambiant layers of percussion would color the song alot more.

ON a melodic note , i find the bass line and those GM Bell sounds way too dissonant for me . Going from a perfect 4th to diminished 5th over the root chord just sounds weird . But they disapear so iguess it is'nt too distracting.

rythmically , the drums don't groove at all. I can see how you might want to keep them simple with all the synths playing around them but i still find them way too straight and unsyncopated . THat speaks for the groove in general with this song ; way too quantisized.

Evil G
10-06-2004, 06:29 PM
thanks for listening richie.

don't know what to say about the bells sounds. i made them from scratch on the nord modular, and on other sites people have said that the bell sounds are their favorite part in this. different tastes i guess...

Evil G
10-06-2004, 07:52 PM
ON a melodic note , i find the bass line and those GM Bell sounds way too dissonant for me . Going from a perfect 4th to diminished 5th over the root chord just sounds weird . But they disapear so iguess it is'nt too distracting.

good earl, but it's actually in a pentatonic blues scale of F, so C, C sharp riff over the F, G sharp riff actually fits.

dirty_bass
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
haha
it`s techno, **** musical theory right up the pooper mate

RichieV
11-06-2004, 02:36 AM

good earl, but it's actually in a pentatonic blues scale of F, so C, C sharp riff over the F, G sharp riff actually fits.

first off
your tune is in G not F ,
Secondly G# is not in the f pentatonic scale .

Evil G
11-06-2004, 03:17 AM
wow. respect due to richiev!

i was pulling your leg, but you done gone and seen it! it is in G. i guess those violin lessons were worth it. ;)

now, if i'm hitting G, A#, C, C#, D and F, i am in a blues scale, am i not? or am i crazy?

i didn't program it this way on purpose, btw. i just wrote what i wrote. looking at the midi now i can see that all the guitar i used play is still stuck in my fingers.

RichieV
11-06-2004, 03:43 AM
those notes are the g blues scale but regardless of the notes in the scale , combining certain intervals in a certain sequence will just sound weird

and this sounds weird to me . That is all i'm saying.
Forget all the theory crap , to me it just sounds weird and akward.

dan the acid man
11-06-2004, 09:04 AM
if it sound's right it's in, that's my musical scale

romelpotter
11-06-2004, 10:42 AM
wait lets start a techno thoery boooord, were you can find such common phrases like " If we raise the c# to an diminished 7th then will we see a tonal clash with the root fundimental or if the harmonic overtones seemlesly fade with each other, can we introduce a modal augmentation to create feeling with the inversion of the main triads in the synth line"

hehehe techno is about no rules, no set guidelines. just gofor it and enjoy ;) :lol: :lol:

oh and the track needs more involvement with the sounds, the arrangement is ok but i kinda sounds like its from the 80's. In fact it sounds very theorised, if you get what i mean ;) its good though :lol:

Evil G
11-06-2004, 02:52 PM
hehe. techno guys talking about notes is kindof funny, but let's never talk about phygrian modes. :)

anyway thanks for all the feedback. i have something in the works that is quite different than this (darker, more bass, more drums, more textures, more noise). trying not to rush through it, but i'll post it when i'm done, and we'll see if i go too far the other way or what.

cheers

RichieV
12-06-2004, 12:00 AM
you mean phrygian ?

lol

Evil G
12-06-2004, 12:41 AM
what's the use of fancy words if you can't spell them wrong, eh? :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==