PDA

View Full Version : YamahaO1v (or similar digital desk) help needed with routing

Chazbloke
02-06-2004, 12:59 PM
i have O1v, with ADAT card, connected to Pulsar Creamware, i can send signals from PC to desk fine on the 8 bus channels through cubase, that's all good..
i want to start using my hardware effects units, so i have hooked it all up as follows:
PC - Desk, OMNI Out of Desk, into effects IN. Effects OUT into Desk channel 9.

i run out of PC 8 channels via the ADAT, so desk has channels 1-8 (digi) and channel 9 is the Output of the effects unit...
i route channels 1-8 OUT of the desk via the OMNI Outs - i've done this as i can see input lights flashing on the effects units...
i turn up channel 9 and get the effect coming through!
but,
if i turn down channel 1-8, so i can hear channel 9 properly, the effects unit doesnt get input and thus no sound!

i know why it's doing that, but what i want is to basicly have channel 9 replace a whole channel (say channel 1).
do i just stop "monitoring" that channel and not route the channel back into the PC when recording down, instead sending (and monitoring) channel 9?
or is there a better way?

cheers,
Chaz.

dulash
02-06-2004, 01:38 PM
I dont quite understand what you mean by replacing a whole channel?
The channel 9 is your effect return, why do you wanna replace something with it?

Chazbloke
02-06-2004, 02:01 PM
well, i dont just want to add effects to what is coming out of channel 1, i want cut channel 1 down and just have channel 9 going instead..
if i have both channels up, it all becomes to much so to speak...
cutting channel 1 out of the monitor/a-dat route is working OK for now..

dulash
02-06-2004, 02:15 PM
You could also do it aux prefade.
But the best way for me is to mix both signals the original and the fx together.

DJZeMig_L
02-06-2004, 02:46 PM
basically run thru the mixer's options and choose 2 have the aux send as pre-fade (normally it works as post-fader, so even if u cranck up the sends, when u lower the dry channel u are also lowering the amount of that channel that is being sent 2 the efx... lets just say that in pst-fader the aux send is no mor that the balance between dry and wet signals.. moving the fader keeps this proportion!)

Z

Chazbloke
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
OK, think i got the problem solved, the "pre-fader" thingy works :)

but now, when i'm linking the 8 digi channels back to the PC to record down, there dont seem to be any effects/eq on the recorded stuff. i've applied on the mixing desk some distortion on the bass and eq'd kick a bit, but i just get normal kick and lame bass when it's recorded...
could always record back via the desk monitor out and sound card in :eh:

DJZeMig_L
02-06-2004, 05:48 PM
2 b able 2 record the efect u have 2 record the efects return! (meaning channel 9)...

Z

Chazbloke
02-06-2004, 06:05 PM
2 b able 2 record the efect u have 2 record the efects return! (meaning channel 9)...

Z

aint just channel 9 that dont get recorded - none of the effects applied on any channels get recorded....stuff gets recorded though, a totally dry signal?

DJZeMig_L
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
M8 the internal efx get routed 2 the master so u gotta record that, but I guess u can run'em 2 the digi outs on a second go (1st one record the dry channels).

Z

dulash
02-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I´ve worked on the 01V and i dont think there are any other ways then recording the master.

messyfuture
02-06-2004, 08:42 PM
there is a 01v user group on yahoo, they have always been able to sort any problems that i have had.

i have a yamha dsp factory with a adat card and i usally just record the adat out of the 01v onto my hard drive

278d7e64a374de26f==