PDA

View Full Version : Whats the greatest DJ set you have every heard??

Fake DJ
03-06-2004, 05:31 PM
And why?

TRB
03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Mark EG at a Loca 2002

Was amazing, the crowd screaming, Mark smilling and breaking records... insane night!

A lot of people here are waiting the next Mark Eg gig and will be soon!!! uhuu!

In second place , Christian Varela 4 decks set at a Loca 2002 too.

:cool:

dfndr
03-06-2004, 05:52 PM
jay denham @ lifka...

groover'z
03-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Chris Liberator @ SP Groove 3 Years!

He played an amazing 3 hours set + the jam session's 4 hours which was the best thing I've ever heard, mixing brand new stuffs with old ones.

The Overfiend
03-06-2004, 06:30 PM
James Ruskin @ Limelight.
It was so perfect it was flawed.
3 tables 2 hours. Had the place rocking, anyone from New York that was there can co sign the fact that that place was rediculously jumping.

jake
03-06-2004, 07:59 PM
jeff mills @ spundae - intense 3 deck action for the consumate professional.. relentless mixing and relentless cheering everytime a new record came on.. played everything from seawolf to dj rush

richie hawtin @ demf - classics, newies and originals. gravitational arch of 10 tore the house down and everyone was going nuts.

octave one @ 430 west - the way a live act should be :-p (oops this is a dj thread)

dave clarke @ demf - hard ass mixing and a super packed house made his goofy usual tracks sound fresh.

daniel @ aca world sound festival - moontribe founder brought some serious downwards pain to beautiful acapulco!!!!

stacey pullen @ oracle 99 - bad ass all around and no donna summer sampling songs thank god

derrick may @ every party - what a g.. nuff said

jake
03-06-2004, 08:05 PM
oh yeah adam beyer and marco carola on 4 decks.... DAMN!!!!!

disco diva
03-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Loads, but most recent would be D.A.V.E The Drummer on Monday morning. ;)

Capone
03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Carl Cox @ Sir Henry's, Cork - FACT 2 Tour, March '97

Unbelievable night. Great warm up from Trevor Rockcliffe, Cox blew the place apart, brilliant crowd, UNREAL atmosphere, great tunes, great system, and all in one of THE greatest clubs of all time. Can't ask for more than that really!

The Overfiend
03-06-2004, 08:23 PM
jeff mills @ spundae - intense 3 deck action for the consumate professional.. relentless mixing and relentless cheering everytime a new record came on.. played everything from seawolf to dj rush

richie hawtin @ demf - classics, newies and originals. gravitational arch of 10 tore the house down and everyone was going nuts.

octave one @ 430 west - the way a live act should be :-p (oops this is a dj thread)

dave clarke @ demf - hard ass mixing and a super packed house made his goofy usual tracks sound fresh.

daniel @ aca world sound festival - moontribe founder brought some serious downwards pain to beautiful acapulco!!!!

stacey pullen @ oracle 99 - bad ass all around and no donna summer sampling songs thank god

derrick may @ every party - what a g.. nuff said
props for the listing, straight up.

Stella Boy
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Frank De Wulf - Ark '94 - He loved his set so much he played twice in 1 night.

Derrick May - Back To Basics '94. My first experience of hearing him and it blew me away. 250 people crammed into a low ceiling, sweaty basement.

Grooverider - T&C '95 - Back in the day when the tunes you heard from the rider were not heard anywhere else. He even dropped some dutch 4/4 hardcore :shock:

Surgeon - Last ever Orbit. The set was perfect for me, certainly went through the classic tunes which made the orbit what it was.

Beyer & Carola on six decks for 4 hours - Orbit. Beyer totally showed Carola the way that night. To say he was on fire is an understatement.

ncw
03-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Me, in my bedroom, with two copies of the anfield rap, tripping, for 19 hours. PROPER!

DJMAYA
03-06-2004, 09:53 PM
hahahha!!

big ups to the dj playing to himself. that always sounds great to me too :doh:

nah id have to say Henry Cullen here in NZ 2003 on 3 dex

and the reason why , was the amount of smiles on peoples faces( and his)

ooooooo big ol sweetie.

jonnyspeed
03-06-2004, 11:22 PM
without a doubt - Richie Hawtin. Because he is a genious.

For pure entertainment - Pet Duo

sash
04-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Dave Clarke - 2001 - Melbourne (He just put his head down and really went for it. I was so awstruck i just stood there thinkin "what the f*ck?)

Renato Cohen - 2004 - Melbourne (3 decks, tight as a nuns nasty, technically flawless)

DAVE the Drummer - Melbourne 2004 (absolutely fu*k'n rockin party music until the dust fu*ked up his decks 3/4 through his set :( )

Tsuyoshi Suzuki - Melbourne - 2001 (techno/ trance set but more like warm uplifting psychadelic techno that created the most amazing vibe. Ive never heard anything since like it. Saw him do a psy trance set this year but i hate psy trance)

Evil G
04-06-2004, 12:50 AM
DAVE the Drummer - here in Calgary at the Emerald Cafe about 3 years ago, i think. He was supposed to play a big party in Red Deer (100 km away), but it got shut down by the cops before it even started, so a few of us back in Calgary quickly grabbed a venue, the djs, announced it on the net, and about 200 people got one of the best shows ever.

Everybody played wicked sets, but Henry's was the best. He had the place still rocking at 8:30am!

g
04-06-2004, 01:14 AM
that particular time hearing Fix/Flash was like no other, ever.

re the original question..
richie hawtin - jak o'lantern, windsor, october 28, 1995 -- i think my eyeballs are still wobbling

buncha other mid-90's hawtin things. barn party! the lodge!!

jeff mills - sickness/recovery, windsor, august 3, 1996 -- mills in the middle of some field, killing people

derrick may - metroplex anniversary party, detroit, early 1995 -- good lord.

derrick may - music institute closing, detroit, 1989 -- speechless.

surgeon - just surgeon.

ampassasinbirmingham
04-06-2004, 01:48 AM
as g said many a surgeon set

but the one that stands out for me was the set he did at last years split. 5-7:30am caned it all the way.

Speedy J @ atomic jam may 2001. this set got me into techno

TheRev
04-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Richie Hawtin - Twilo - Feb 2002 - For the first 45 minutes my mouth was dropped wide open and I was in complete awe of what he was doing. After that...I was in aftershock for 4 hours :P

Methodixxx
04-06-2004, 04:17 AM
JEFF MILLS @ home in Sydney around '99 I think..... OH MY GOD!!! I was standing (as best I could without going too spastic) on the stage next to his record box for over 3 1/2 hours drooling!!! Was just when I had started properly 3 deck mixing and I was in awe :love: He was playing all the stuff I was into, mixing sooo unbelievably well (better than any recording I've heard of his, I've never seen someone come close to that display of skill) and the crowd was going ape shit!! And then after the set we had like a 30 min convo about all sorts of shit (don't beleive the hype, he's a great guy) as the club emptied and they started cleaning it... defining moment, I knew I was doing what I wanted to do at that point!

Carl Cox - back when I was young wipper snapper... freaky!

Ritchie Hawtin on numerous occasions over the years... the man is pure quality and I was lucky enough to chill with him too one time he was out here and he's a ****in champ!

Methodixxx
04-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Oh, and hopefully DJ Misjah will be in this list after Friday 25th of June... We have him coming out for my Mainline night and I can't wait... 3 decks, final scratch and a loop machine! :rambo:

DROID
04-06-2004, 09:16 AM
jay denham @ demf 2001

millsy @ spundae

:clap:

serox
04-06-2004, 11:32 AM
richie hawtin at ILT 2000 (maybe was 1999?) played a hard techno set. great set wikkid tunes.

also marc acardipane live at a party in germany in 1996.

Francisco Scaramanga
04-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Jeff Mills @ Sankeys, about 3 years ago

Derrick May @ Sankeys, about 2 years ago

Surgeon @ HOG in the Custard Factory, last year sometime.

Esox Lucius
04-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Derrick May @ Atomic Jam tent, Global Gathering
Suburban Knight @ Voodoo
Ben Sims @ Voodoo
DJ Bone @ Voodoo

Tiptoe
04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
claude young at the orbit 01.12.01 (my birthday night out) Hacker and miss kitten had just finished and she played when duves cry (great tune but in the orbit come on) i had just come out of the toilet being sick and looked over the side and this big black guy just stopped the record started scratching with his elbow then banged the tune in. Ruff arse mixing all night with ruff arse tunes in the best club that ever was. The memories!

Rog
04-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Groover'z - nice to see you on here dude! Email soon.

Best Set I've Ever heard... ummmm to many to mention.

For me - its alot about the environment etc as well - outdoor partys will always have a better buzz for me..

I cant answer the question - not yet.

Numeric
04-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Dunno about the best ever, but i'll never forget Surgeon at Voodoo's Millenium party...

:clap:

hiroprotagonist
05-06-2004, 04:18 AM
quality thread!

my favorite live mix was at an outdoor party in an abandon fair grounds. i found a tiny little hut of a building that was completely empty except for a dj spinning this interesting electronic music. i went in and started dancing and didnt stop for 4 hours. ever. it was the first time i heard techno and ill never forget it. i couldnt walk for a week i was so sore. that was music so good it actually injured me!

adam beyer at some club in LA. i cant remember much of it except that he decimated the entire dancefloor. it was great. all these people were there to see some tech house live act and right after they got a right ass whipping from mr beyer. his mixing was unbelivable and the tracks were relentless. there wasnt time to take a breath.

one of dylan drazens sets on his web page....ill have to find it again later. starts off interesting and rather slow and then ends completely insane to where youc ant tell where one track ends and the other begins. unbelivable

conflict
05-06-2004, 12:18 PM
My favourite was hearing dave the drummer in Warsaw Poland play 3 hours of mayhem,got the place absolutely rocking!!It was a wicked night aswell

Splendid

Ian
08-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Mark EG at Further... Tornadoes, Mayhem, Tents and Techno.

Seriously, we all thought we were gonna die and Mark brought it so hard and smooth. It was an absolutely flawless mix, which is insane considering there was rain falling onto the decks.

evanrees
08-06-2004, 10:26 AM
JEFF MILLS @ home in Sydney around '99 I think..... OH MY GOD!!!

Dammit i missed that one. Actually...

Don't think i was quite 18 then.

xfive
08-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Richie Hawtin - Twilo - Feb 2002 - For the first 45 minutes my mouth was dropped wide open and I was in complete awe of what he was doing. After that...I was in aftershock for 4 hours :P

Dude I think you mean 2001 (Twilo closed in 2001).... I was there, and yes, I was in complete awe as well. Not to mention the intense vibe that club has. Best I have ever been to - blows Nation in DC out of the water.

I was completely sober that night and danced my ass off from 12-5 running on pure adrenaline.

Amazing

herman
08-06-2004, 07:59 PM
derrick may - braintree barn 1989

dj cheese - uk fresh 1986

maybe heard better over the years but these two are the most influential to me anyway.

The Overfiend
08-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Do you still have your name plate belt buckle and kangol?

Stella Boy
08-06-2004, 08:53 PM

:lol: :cool:

MangaFish
08-06-2004, 09:02 PM
derrick may - braintree barn 1989

braintree in essex?
i live there (although its nothing to be proud of)

speed-it-up
08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Agree with the person who rated Claude Young. Saw him and Colin Dale on same bill at Orbit and the music was top.

Also at Orbit, Sven Vath (96 time) managed to play a set with loads of subliminal rythms and the place just WENT OFF.

Went and saw him a few years later and had to leave cos the last tune he played was such a pile of toss. How times change.

Immersion live (I believe, though was a little worse for wear) at Glastonbury Traveller Field (1999?) was also memorable.

Tiptoe
08-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Agree with the person who rated Claude Young. Saw him and Colin Dale on same bill at Orbit and the music was top.

Also at Orbit, Sven Vath (96 time) managed to play a set with loads of subliminal rythms and the place just WENT OFF.

Went and saw him a few years later and had to leave cos the last tune he played was such a pile of toss. How times change.

Immersion live (I believe, though was a little worse for wear) at Glastonbury Traveller Field (1999?) was also memorable.

Yeah was shit last time he played. Cheesy cheesy techno. Very poor night!

Stella Boy
08-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Yeah was shit last time he played. Cheesy cheesy techno. Very poor night!

He's an entertainer more than a DJ, always has been. I'd still go and see him play just for the crack. :cool:

tioneb
08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
mills @ fuse, sptember 2002

3h30 set ... from house to evil had techno, from dark stuff to disco .... one of the most eclectic set ive heard from the man, and an astonished crowd of teenagers discovring that mills doesnt spin only purpose maker, can be tight & flawless for over 3 hours on three decks , and that he can rock you with unexpected music

Stella Boy
08-06-2004, 10:19 PM
mills @ fuse, sptember 2002

3h30 set ... from house to evil had techno, from dark stuff to disco .... one of the most eclectic set ive heard from the man, and an astonished crowd of teenagers discovring that mills doesnt spin only purpose maker, can be tight & flawless for over 3 hours on three decks , and that he can rock you with unexpected music

My kinda set, you jammy fukcer. :shock:
A flawless mix by mills these days is as rare as a girlfriend who swallows :crackup:

drift9
09-06-2004, 03:44 AM

yeah--i also gotta say this one did it for me too. a great set and a great vibe really made for a night on that one.

and, yeah, that Ruskin set at Limelight was incredible as well (opening for surgeon, yeah?). while not the smoothest set in the world , the guy took a ton of risks so i overlooked it. plus, the track selection is probably one of the best i've heard in one set.

anyone who would ever accuse techno of being "meat head" i would have to just point that set out to them.

herman
09-06-2004, 01:15 PM

antonio mate you know i do ;) old school for life

braintree in essex? .

yeah back in the late 80's the barn was one of the only places to hear acid house and techno in this area some real legends played there including lil louis , derrick may , frankie bones , eddie richards etc etc

Jimfish
09-06-2004, 01:17 PM
man, i would have loved to have been just that bit older to catch them early days...

djvartan
09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Cari Lekebusch @ Axis Boston(2002 i think)

Methodixxx
10-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Oh yeah.. forgot to mention something about the Mills set I was talking about... he had the 909 damn cranking too! Dropped it into 2 records clean as a whistle... pressed stop on both tracks leaving just 909 action... continued to program bar by bar live and on the fly... and rocked it for quite a while... and I own the 909 he used too ;)

yeswehavetheright
10-06-2004, 06:47 PM
I usually have great trouble remembering anything other than the start or finish!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

tioneb
10-06-2004, 08:49 PM
A flawless mix by mills these days is as rare as a girlfriend who swallows :crackup:

LOL well man youre right : mills is tight many times, and there are loads of girls who swallow.

Analbumcover
10-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Jerome Hill @ the building next to the sea of fridges on Carpenters Road last year.
Adam Beyer at|Atomic Jam about 5 years ago. Like having someone hammer nails into your skull for two hours.
Dave Clarke at Pontins in Southport after I'd given up on him for being a dull twat and then he pulled out 2 hours of outrageous non stop (but danceable) turntablism.
James Ruskin most times I've seen him.
Ben Sims @ Lost Weekend Nottingham
D.A.V.E - too many great sets to pick one.
Derrick Carter every time

azerom04
18-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I've seen loads of great sets but the two which stand out the most in my mind are,

Ellis D - Universe Sept 1992 - Never seen some many people loose it that much all at once.

Producer & Loftgroover - Martha's Swansea May 1994 - The producer blew it up, then loftgroover took the place to bits. Proper hands & knees stuff.

180mph
18-06-2004, 11:20 PM
chris lib @ tivoli dublin

first time chris played here. i was completly out of it and chris was makin a serious rackit!!! when all of a sudden he dropped "e's are workin".. i will NEVER forget that moment!!!! :lol:

but for pure class mixing... possibly zeb @ our old squat in hackney in '99... tiny little workshop area, sunday night after party.. bout 50/60 people... zeb rocked it and i had to play after him... shit myself and ended up playing some ****ed up stuff to try and continue with the magic... didn't work! just showed him up to be even better... still, was a rockin night!!!!

snooch
19-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Mark EG at Further... Tornadoes, Mayhem, Tents and Techno.

Seriously, we all thought we were gonna die and Mark brought it so hard and smooth. It was an absolutely flawless mix, which is insane considering there was rain falling onto the decks.

I saw that shit too! My tent was right next to the main tent and we ran in the main tent when the wind and rain started and mark eg messed us up! Great night considering 80kph winds. The weather set the mood and Mark took it from there.

davethedrummer
19-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I've seen loads of great sets but the two which stand out the most in my mind are,

Ellis D - Universe Sept 1992 - Never seen some many people loose it that much all at once.

Producer & Loftgroover - Martha's Swansea May 1994 - The producer blew it up, then loftgroover took the place to bits. Proper hands & knees stuff.

ahh yes producer....
i played with him at north once.
i was live and he was djing straight after me
as i was packing up he got going and i can truly say i have never heard hardcore mixed like that before (or since)
he gave it a rythm and a groove at 170 bpm !!!!!!
i suddenly realised that there are loads of crap hardcore djs and up until that point that was all i had heard, the producer put me straight.
perhaps not my biggest ever night , but one rave i'll never forget.

Esox Lucius
19-06-2004, 11:49 AM
the producer is the best hardcore dj there is without doubt, he oozes talent.

azerom04
20-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah the producer always pulls one out of the bag.

I got to play after him last year and his set was rude :lol: :clap:

Just what the doctor ordered.

Lisa Lavish
20-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Loads but a few that are in my head now from recently that really stand out would be-

Dave Clarke Live @the NEC 2003-really enjoyed this set from start to finish,was the best set id heard off dave clarke,live neway!

Dj Godfather @Traffic Dublin 2003-was blown away by what the man could do on the decks,one of the most technically gifted djs ive seen.

Grandmaster Flash @Homelands 2004-Read the crowd brilliantly&put on an amazing show,technically gifted&gets a amazing atmosphere going.

Alex Robotnick Live @ Electric City Dublin 2003-Just really enjoyed his set,played some great old electro tracks&looked like he was having great time playing which is good to see!

T.Rauschmiere Live @Electric City Dublin 2003-one word...LUNETIC! :lol:

Chris Liebing @Temple Bar Music Center Dublin 2004-played a 5hr set&never seen someone so happy to be playing a set from start to finish!!&a great set at that!

MARKEG
21-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Favourite ever sets:

JEFF MILLS - TRIBAL GATHERING 96 (I think it was 96 anyway)
JOEY BELTRAM - THE ORBIT (sometime between 94-96)

acidchild
21-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Pollenation 1993 outside of Madison, Wi. Terry Mullan and Hyperactive. 4 turntables and 2 hours of hardcore techno! ****ing awesome!!

278d7e64a374de26f==