PDA

View Full Version : should you wear earplugs when u go out?

sash
08-06-2004, 12:05 AM
i was just wonderin how many people (if any) wear earplugs when they go out to a club.

I suppose the last thing an aspiring techno producer would want would b to b half deaf. Is this a stupid question. Will i look like a dork?

dan the acid man
08-06-2004, 12:15 AM
i dont no, but you do see alot of people wearing them nowaday's, i dont think it's anything to be ashamed of, it's just another silly macho thing about being hard cos you can listen to music really loudly without ear plug's.
if i started getting concerned about my hearing, then i would go and buy some

mrbenn
08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Im thinking about getting myself a pair of custom made earplugs. They cost about £150 but I think there worth it. You get them custom made for your ears and you can choose how many Db's they cut.

This tottally isnt a stupid question mate, your hearing is one of the most important things, & once its ****ed your never gonna get it back. Ive noticed my hearing get worse recently, I often have to ask people to repeat things they say.

Id recomend getting your own custom made, alot of my friends have them & they work alot better than the bog standard cheap ones. hope that helps ;)

the_psychologist
08-06-2004, 12:31 AM
yeah, bring them along at least. if things get really loud, i put them in, and then pull them out enough to limit the sound to a good level. waking up with ears still ringing is a bad thing. plus, you never know where you'll be sleeping after certain parties, and it's always handy to have ear plugs to shut out the noise.

sash
08-06-2004, 12:32 AM
They should make earplugs look cool or somethin. Maybe gold carat plugs? The chicks would dig em i reckon! Especially if someone cool like the fonz endorsed em. He could b cruisin around on his bike with his plugs half hangin out goin "eeeeeeeeh!"

Jimfish
08-06-2004, 01:11 AM
yeah its well worth thinkin about m8.. my hearing is shite in my left ear.. quiet and muffly, as u can imagine its really annoying in the studio. so take care dem ears!

VOMATRON
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
They should make earplugs look cool or somethin. Maybe gold carat plugs? The chicks would dig em i reckon! Especially if someone cool like the fonz endorsed em. He could b cruisin around on his bike with his plugs half hangin out goin "eeeeeeeeh!"

LOL man :lol:

"funny" that you should post this now, my ear went deaf today, after mixing for to long in headphones..you know...volume jsut goes up..up..UP...and then suddenly it happened :cry:

i hope itll be gone by tomorrow...

sash
08-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Im thinking about getting myself a pair of custom made earplugs. They cost about £150 but I think there worth it. You get them custom made for your ears and you can choose how many Db's they cut.

What will they think of next?

Orange
08-06-2004, 03:27 AM
now i definately put the plugs in when i go out to the big clubs cause sometimes the soundsystem is just cranked up to a rediculously stupid level, and plus once you get used to wearin plugs, you don't have to worry no more, and you can relax.

technoticau
08-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi, noob here

yeah I've two pairs of plugs: one for sleeping and one for outside. I usually put them on when the sound level starts getting there. Tinnitus (tintinitis) is a serious problem for people in the music industry, SO TAKE CARE OF YOUR EARS. As far as I know there is no 100% cure for it either. (Doctors are still doing research on it) . And as far as how it looks, well what's more important? your looks or your hearing?

;)

tioneb
08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
its been one year i have custom earplugs. paid them 120€. they consist of some special filter that has a flat attenation ie same for all the frequencies (-15 dB). that means u hear the sound exactly the same as without wearing them.

this is really comfortable not to be hurted on heavy soundsystem, or to chat near the speakers like i did on friday =)

AcidBastard
08-06-2004, 07:50 AM
I just feel bad for the people who get all doped out on E, and then stick their head in the speaker, or sit right NEXT to the speaker... That is the worse thing you can do, tis a shame.

Personally, I think you should wear them until you want to hear that certain someone play their set...Take them out, and feel the music that way, then just pop them back in, juuuuust an idea :wicked:

death on a stick
08-06-2004, 11:46 AM
The human ear did not evolve to listen to amplified sound. If you go to places with amplified sound and you don't use earplugs, you're either ignorant or stupid. Simple as that. EVERYONE who goes clubbing should invest in them, or risk losing one of the things dearest to you - music.

death on a stick
08-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Personally, I think you should wear them until you want to hear that certain someone play their set...Take them out, and feel the music that way, then just pop them back in, juuuuust an idea :wicked:
That's a surefire way to deafness. Don't do it.

killarava2day
08-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I purchased custom moulded ER15's a few years back, and when you get used to them, you'd never put yourself in a naked situation again.

In fact, I find it easier to DJ with them on than off. I forgot them one night and nearly thought about not playing due to the loudness in the booth. They can really flatten loud sound and make beat matching a breeze cause the kick becomes quite distinct and clear.

teknorich
08-06-2004, 12:42 PM
It's a good point. Everyone's had a night out where their ears were still ringing all the next day (if not longer!) but hardly anyone does anything about it. I guess earplugs just aren't common enough at the moment, and people would feel embarrassed wearing them in the club. This is something that needs to be changed though.

duncandisorderly
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
every time i play out i leave the place promising to get a pair of ear plugs and asking everyone to repeat everything two or three times. by the next time i play i have forgotten how bad my ears hurt and ring after a few hours abuse in front of deafening speakers once again.

really need to get some ear plugs!

herman
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
i have been wearing earplugs (er-15's) for about 3 years now and after an incident where i lost them last year and had to do a gig without them i can safely say i wouldn't play without them now , i really can't understand how anyone who plays or goes to a club a lot can do without them now.

dirty_bass
08-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I`ve been thinkin about investing in custom plugs

tioneb
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
i have been wearing earplugs (er-15's) for about 3 years now and after an incident where i lost them last year and had to do a gig without them i can safely say i wouldn't play without them now , i really can't understand how anyone who plays or goes to a club a lot can do without them now.

hmm mine are not same brand, but i definitely cant mix with them...

thats a problem for my ears thgough at all the places ive played i could manage to lower the booth volume and that it wasnt in huge rooms

MangaFish
08-06-2004, 09:05 PM
for a year or so now i've been thinking of getting the custom made ear plugs. but from what i read you need perfect ears to start with.

i suffer from major wax build ups etc so i dont think i'll be medically fit to have my ears moulded :cry:

sash
09-06-2004, 12:08 AM
[quote="AcidBastard"]I just feel bad for the people who get all doped out on E, and then stick their head in the speaker, or sit right NEXT to the speaker... That is the worse thing you can do, tis a shame.

[/wicquote]

Yeah i reckon just about everyone would have some kind of funny story relating to people gett'n fuked up n gettin too close to the speakers.

I remember this one party, this dude was like up to the speaker cone doin this ritual type shit like it was some kind of god. U know the party's on when shit like that starts happenin!

The Divide
09-06-2004, 02:15 AM
I am unfortunate to have hearing problems in my left side after a blow from some cunt outside a club. Perforated it. It's like having a lowpass filter on the left side cutting off the very highs. It gave me tinnitus too. Its a ****ing nightmare but like everything you learn to deal with it and work around it. Its always worth finding the clubs sweet spot where its not too loud and everything sounds nice. Ide recommend wearing earplugs anytime, nothing wrong with that. I sometimes wear one the ****ed side because its really sensitive to certain frequencies (rock and roll and speed garage frequencies esp :lol:).

GAMMA303
22-06-2004, 10:39 AM
My friend Greg Sandler was djing one night and felt dizzy after playing. Went back to his hotel, fell asleep, woke up the next morning with blood coming out of his ear and years later still suffers from hearing loss. though he regained some but i don't think hes more then 50% in that ear.

Yikes!

I want to get some of thoose noise reduction fitted ear pieces. Expensive but seem worth it.

karlo
22-06-2004, 11:21 AM
i`ll be very short; sometimes, YES!

davethedrummer
22-06-2004, 11:53 AM
i got tinnitus now
it started about a year ago.
i invested in some custom made plugs which were great.
but i lost one. and they cost a fortune.
soi bought some cheaper ones from elacin in germany
they aren't quite as accurate but they are stil designed for music listening
and they work.
but i have trouble playing wiht them in.
i always have them with me but i don't always wear them.
i used to play drums from when i was 14 yeasr old
so i guess my ears are pretty ****ed
however this weekendd i did wear my plugs and shall be doing so from, now on. i just can't lose the rest of my hearing.
there are apparently some methods for rducing tinnitus
but i've yet tp find out what they are.

just about everyone i know who has a serious career in djing has had problems with their ears
maybe we can for some kind of deaf/techno appreciation society when we reach our 60's ( assuming we get that far )
actually that really isn't funny.
wear ear plugs . look like a prat and be proud . and cough up for the good ones too they're worth it and the foam ones apparently are useless according to the ear doctor i saw.

don't get tinnitus like me. it rings everyday from morning to night
both ears although my actual hearing aside from that is o.k.
they are 2 separate things tinnitus and deafness.
but man tiunnitus is annoying!!!!!!
silence is now a thing of the past.
ambient music is accompanied by a very loud whine (about 1k)
sometimes listening to music can be uncomfortable.

it's definately earplugs for me from now on.

techno_smack
22-06-2004, 12:30 PM
so, do u actually wear em under ur headphones while ur mixing?

And can someone please point me towards where i can get a decent pair?
How much will it cost for a decent pair?
I think it is such a wise investment.

Thanx alot

ampassasinbirmingham
22-06-2004, 01:38 PM

i think i will be geeting a set of these within the next two weeks. Where can i get them herman. And whats the procedure, how do you get them fitted- do it yourself or go somewhere for it to be done.?

Buttman
22-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I suppose the last thing an aspiring techno producer would want would b to b half deaf. Is this a stupid question. Will i look like a dork?

Looks only matters in swingers' clubs.

The Divide
22-06-2004, 02:21 PM
i got tinnitus now
it started about a year ago.
i invested in some custom made plugs which were great.
but i lost one. and they cost a fortune.
soi bought some cheaper ones from elacin in germany
they aren't quite as accurate but they are stil designed for music listening
and they work.
but i have trouble playing wiht them in.
i always have them with me but i don't always wear them.
i used to play drums from when i was 14 yeasr old
so i guess my ears are pretty ****
however this weekendd i did wear my plugs and shall be doing so from, now on. i just can't lose the rest of my hearing.

just about everyone i know who has a serious career in djing has had problems with their ears
maybe we can for some kind of deaf/techno appreciation society when we reach our 60's ( assuming we get that far )
actually that really isn't funny.
wear ear plugs . look like a prat and be proud . and cough up for the good ones too they're worth it and the foam ones apparently are useless according to the ear doctor i saw.

it's definately earplugs for me from now on.

I have problems with my left ear, sometimes I wear an ear plug when in the studio because its really sensitive to certain harmonics. Pianos, squelchy synths etc.

It does my head in tho because it’s a lot harder to understand whats going on in the mixdown so I usually take it out after about 2 seconds. I don’t even monitor at loud levels, infact I have it at about the same level as my mum has the TV . If I do within about 10 mins of having it turned up it feels like someone’s put a lowpass on it.

How do you find it in the studio, do monitor at a low level or just go for it?

I don’t have a pair of custom made ear plugs, I do have some that are supposed to just turn down everything instead of muffling certain frequencies tho

Apparently theres no cure for tinnitus, however there is a lot of ways of distracting yourself away from it. Its there 24/7 for me. It gets louder if I have the sound up. You could try having a fan near bed at night. If you focus on the sound of the fan it takes your attention away from the BIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound

Depressing

Worst thing is that someone has done this to me, sometimes when I cant sleep at night I think about murdering the skumbag :evil:

The Divide
22-06-2004, 02:26 PM
I think about murdering the skumbag :evil:

Well maybe not, does make me mad tho

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 03:59 PM
That sucks.

herman
22-06-2004, 04:23 PM

i think i will be geeting a set of these within the next two weeks. Where can i get them herman. And whats the procedure, how do you get them fitted- do it yourself or go somewhere for it to be done.?

http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/location.php if you follow that link you should find a dealer near to you, you have to go in and have moulds made of your inner ear which is basically like have blue tac injected into them , then they send off the moulds for the plugs to be made will probably cost around the £165 mark and takes about a week to have made. might sound expensive but heed the warnings from others on the board if you do keep abusing your ears you will end up with tinnutus or worse.

Yoshimitsu
22-06-2004, 04:40 PM
never realised how easily hearing probs can develop. Gonna have to sort out these plugs @ some point

Stella Boy
22-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I've learnt the hard way about excessive noise to your hearing. My ears have had a hammering from sound systems for over a decade, my girlfriend nagging and put that next to the unbelievable noise you get from watching drag racing for over 20 years and you get tinitus and a damaged ear. I've got plugs sorted out and should be here soon. It's just a bitch they are so expensive but put that next to the cost of losing your hearing and it's not that bad.

The Divide
22-06-2004, 09:52 PM
It's just a bitch they are so expensive but put that next to the cost of losing your hearing and it's not that bad.

Thats a really good point!

killarava2day
22-06-2004, 11:50 PM

I concer about your tinnitus too. Over time though you manage it, and you actually get so used to the frequencies being produced by your ear that you ignore them.

During the first six months when it became apparent the I had problems I suffered from mild anxiety...quite frustrating. I'd clinch my jaw which would produce a high pitched squeel to try to confirm whether the tinnitus was louder/softer etc, so much so that I damaged my right joint which now clicks every time I open my mouth. Went to visit a dentist to see whether my wisdoms were a problems, not so.

I can't tell whether it's raining outside without a visual these days, the list goes on. However under testing conditions, the audiologist has given my ears a clean bill of health.

I had read that some clown in the USA got severe tinnitus due to sorting coke for years and years, hmmmm...

MangaFish
23-06-2004, 12:39 AM
i got tinnitus now

i have these clip-on magnetic ear rings that are supposed to reduce tinnitus. they are cheap (otherwise i wouldnt have been able to afford them) but i cant say that they work as i lost mine w/in weeks of buying them :doh:

sadly its not 'scientifically' proven to work even though research and statistics have proven otherwise :neutral:

from memory, i think you only need to wear them a few hours a day as well

pm me if your interested and i'll have a look to see what i can find

MangaFish
23-06-2004, 12:42 AM
During the first six months when it became apparent the I had problems I suffered from mild anxiety...quite frustrating. I'd clinch my jaw which would produce a high pitched squeel to try to confirm whether the tinnitus was louder/softer etc, so much so that I damaged my right joint which now clicks every time I open my mouth. Went to visit a dentist to see whether my wisdoms were a problems, not so.

i shouldnt laugh but... :lol:

The Divide
23-06-2004, 12:59 AM
i suffer from major wax build ups etc so i dont think i'll be medically fit to have my ears moulded :cry:

Leave the wax in, it would make a wickid sound insulator. Seriously, it holds your ear drums down and they will be less likely to get damaged.

Have them waxed when you become a pensioner, it will be like been reborn :lol: :lol: :lol:

killarava2day
23-06-2004, 01:49 AM
i shouldnt laugh but... :lol:

I agree, it's hard not to laugh :(

davethedrummer
27-06-2004, 05:25 AM
i'm looking around about this tinnitus thing.
found a couple of interesting sites

http://www.ear-tinnitus.info/ear.html
http://www.tinnitus.org/

try these out if you are interested.even if you don't have it you may find some of the info useful.

more links for earplug please
but try these guys you may find those plugs a lot cheaper than you think.

www.sonicshop.de

look after your ears guys
;)

dan the acid man
27-06-2004, 11:50 AM
great links :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==