PDA

View Full Version : Best sequencers / hardware etc

miss bass
09-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Im trying 2 produce my own music, at the moment i only have cubase sx, using samples/vsts.

What do u think is the best software 2 produce techno?

I also want 2 buy a synth or a piece of hardware with some good sounds.

I not in2 just makin a banging beat, i want 2 make some mad stuff aswell as some solid tech tunes.

well if any1 can help i would appreciate it!!!!

http://djmissbass.mysite.freeserve.com

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Humm it ain't so easy 2 answer as a lot derive form personal pref. and experience.

Soft.

Logic if u r a mac man
SX for PC

If u want somethin a little simpler but not necessarily less powerfull...
Fruity Loops / Reason

Hardware ...

MPC1000! (others from the mpc range can do the work aswell).

On another note u can easily "addapt" something like an rmx1 or an electribe 4 the job (but I would go with something that as at least 16 parts).

Z

miss bass
09-06-2004, 12:24 PM
yeh i have seen the mpc sampler, seems quite easy once u get in 2 it.

I want something with somw mad sounds to, or just dark atmospheric sounds, klunky noises, dark beats etc.......

erm..... well i aint really a mac man cuz i dont have a mac plus the fact i aint a man......

thanks tho.

:lol:

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 01:54 PM
lol lol... I ain't brit so I use stupid lines line that :doh:

Honestly I would rather get an mf synth and then plug the mpc 2 it mainly for sequencing and for drums/ vocals/ efxs samples ... I would use the synth 2 make so mad sounds! :)

Z

miss bass
09-06-2004, 02:37 PM
haha its cool, ok well thanks 4 your help!!! glad someone decided 2 help me......

:clap:

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 04:49 PM
In this place some1 will help 4 sure missy! ;)

That's what it's all about! :)

Z

xfive
09-06-2004, 05:18 PM
If you fancy attempting to wrap your noggin around synthesis then I suggest you stick with the software for percussion and spend a small bit of cash on something like an Evolver - http://www.davesmithinstruments.com

You can find one for probably around $350 USD used on lists such as Analogue Heaven or the Yahoo Evolver list. I bought mine from Novamusik brand new.

Check it out, its one of the best possible synths you can buy for the cash. Another option would be a Nord Micro Modular, which I'm sure will make it's way into my arsenal soon :)

-Chris

Evil G
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
i'd recommend a synthy synth too.

a sample based synth or sampler will get you up and running sooner, but in the end you'll be limited by the fixed samples. you can only do so much with filters and effects.

a synth with good modulation capabilities will let you be as retarded as you want to be. my favorite synth is the nord modular. now that the G2 is out, prices on the original are coming down a lot.

miss bass
09-06-2004, 06:01 PM
okey dokey, il look in2 that then....

I mean i probably wouldnt buy a sampler because id rather sequence my samples up on a computer and edit them.

But as far as syths go i really could do with one i reckon..... thena again i guess u could have all the equipment in the world , doesnt mean u'l definately make phat music, but it does help!!

what about bassier synths or hardware????

God u can tell im young and in-experienced eh......haha

ampassasinbirmingham
09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
bass. Id go for a good midi controller/keyboard as your first piece of kit/ good monitors if u aint already got some. These will be a god send. dont go thinking about buying a syth thats gonna cost ya £500+, stick to vst's for a while. If you need any advice ask Z migl, he's da boy when it comes to any techy advice. He wont condecend on you either if your a newbie. just ask him anything and he or other members will be able to answer.

Evil G
09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
fat bass is easiest to get with a real analog synth, such as a roland juno 106. just keep in mind that most analog synths are monophonic (unless you spend a fortune), which means they can only make one sound at a time.

the new digital synths, like the access virus, can often play up to 16 parts at once, meaning less clutter in your studio.

you can use either plugins or hardware bass enhancers to fatten up your bass, but once again, it's better if you learn how to make good bass in the first place. better sounds sooner, with less processing later, is a good general rule.

something else worth noting - get some good near field monitors if you don't already have some. they may seem expensive up front and you might prefer to spend the money on actual instruments, but if you can't hear what you are doing, you'll never get the results you are after. they make a huge difference.

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 06:28 PM
for a start if u want 2 get out a bit from the "virtual world" look around 2nd hand shops. Some interesting and "cheap" synths are the novations. Virus is also VERY good, but I luv the easy programing on the Novation, and I guess it's easy 2 learn!

I am a sucker for waldorf (pulse mainly), this might b found really cheap ...

My guess is u can get started on VST Is, the new SX2.2 has the new monologue which can do some really mad sounds. More that the synth it self is knowing what does dreaded knobs do! ;) That's what we're here 4! ;)

Z

mux
09-06-2004, 06:29 PM
I think at this point in your musical career, if you don't know exactly what it is you want, asking people to guide you is not the right way to go.

IMHO, buy a copy of Reason and use it exclusively. If you do that, within a few months it will become apparent to you exactly how you like to work, and what hardware you need to do it. Reason is a huge pile of virtual hardware.

Why drop a bunch of coin on a hardware analogue synth only to find out you are more of a samplist? Try it out in software first.

miss bass
09-06-2004, 06:40 PM
i definately want 2 produce.

i know what i want, studying music tech at college so i do not quite a bit in general bout softwares etc, plus we got an 8o thousand pound studio at college so i know my whereabouts in a studio.

I think some nearfields will be a good move like u said no point in buying loadsa goodshit if in the end its gona sound crap.

Il keep using the vsts 4 now.

Thanks guys!!!!! ;)

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
damn' mux u keep make sense ;) eheh :) Nice 1.

Still I would stick 2 SX as U already know yer way around it!

ONE MAJOR point is find 2-3 Good and easy VST I and stick with them, learn how to mak' em squeal the way u luv. Don't go crazy installing all the new stuff .. learn 2-3 this will make ya a real pro when it comes 2 having yer own sound and making machines do what u need and not just what the "were made 2 do".

Personally I got way 2 many synths installed ... latelly I have found my confortable method around monologue and A1 in Sx.. after 1 year I can still b like :shock: after a few tweaks in A1!

Z

Evil G
09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
good point about keeping it simple. if you get too many new things at once, be they hardware or software, it's a lot to learn, and you'll only learn the basics of each piece. starting out with just a couple, and pushing them to their limits is much better experience.

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 08:56 PM
I did my first 5 releases with a 486 Dx2 PC + roland XP 50! I knew the thing like the back of my hand. I could say we ran the kama sutra preaty extensively between the 2 of us... almost cryed the day I sold it. :oops:

right now I am very much into basic SX synths and a couple of more "obscure" freeware VST I.

Z

miss bass
09-06-2004, 10:01 PM
u spk wise words, i must admit i sit there 4 hours tweaking the 'right knobs' until i get what i want , but yeh the more iv got used 2 those certain synths the more i achieve a better sound.

PLuss it saves me some bob!!!ha.

wow this mesg thing really works......... :lol:

sash
09-06-2004, 11:59 PM
try the mackie hr-824's for monitoring. Remember, u gotta make the accoustics of your working environment half decent otherwise u will always have a false sound, no matter what monitors you use.

sambo
10-06-2004, 02:45 PM
for software: I have no experience in that

but if you want a piece of hardware (to start with), then you should buy a yamaha rm1-x (go check it out @ www.vintagesynth.org ) great sequencer and lots of sounds in it... If you (after a while) feel limited with the sounds, you can always buy yourself another piece of hardware and use it in combination with the yamaha

For a good price and lots of possibillities you should go for the yamaha.

I have it and I'm very pleased with it

used by: justin berkovi, ibrahim alfa, cannibal cooking club,...

EmotionComplex
10-06-2004, 03:09 PM
for software: I have no experience in that

but if you want a piece of hardware (to start with), then you should buy a yamaha rm1-x (go check it out @ www.vintagesynth.org ) great sequencer and lots of sounds in it... If you (after a while) feel limited with the sounds, you can always buy yourself another piece of hardware and use it in combination with the yamaha

For a good price and lots of possibillities you should go for the yamaha.

I have it and I'm very pleased with it

used by: justin berkovi, ibrahim alfa, cannibal cooking club,...

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5156 :)

going for a good price ;)

herman
10-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I did my first 5 releases with a 486 Dx2 PC + roland XP 50! I knew the thing like the back of my hand. I could say we ran the kama sutra preaty extensively between the 2 of us... almost cryed the day I sold it. :oops:

right now I am very much into basic SX synths and a couple of more "obscure" freeware VST I.

Z

:lol: nice list z i can beat that though i think did my first release with an atari ,casio cz 5000,akai so1 and a bass-station hahahah those where the days ;)

DJZeMig_L
10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
ahhaha U cheaky bast*... I got some friends U made amazing things with 2 Comodore amigas!!!

Z

John Ferraris
10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
You could try luring an engineer to your house and then enslaving him/her to do all the work for you. For the price of a bowl of rice per day plus maybe half hour excercise round the garden you get a lot of bang for your bucks. I think its illegal in this country so it may be worth checking that one out before you go ahead with it.

miss bass
11-06-2004, 11:31 AM
nah, :nono: couldnt do that........id feel a right cheat, in fact it doesnt bare thinking about.

All i wanted 2 know was a wicked synth or something!

I can do the rest meself!!!!

Evil G
11-06-2004, 02:55 PM
so if i have some synths, do you want to live in my basement and produce tunes in exchange for food? ;)

miss bass
11-06-2004, 05:13 PM
:doh:

would u like me 2?

yeh ok

Evil G
11-06-2004, 11:12 PM
i heard it works for roland the bastard (living in people's basements and making tunes that is)....

essential
21-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Im trying 2 produce my own music, at the moment i only have cubase sx, using samples/vsts.

What do u think is the best software 2 produce techno?

I also want 2 buy a synth or a piece of hardware with some good sounds.

I not in2 just makin a banging beat, i want 2 make some mad stuff aswell as some solid tech tunes.

well if any1 can help i would appreciate it!!!!

http://djmissbass.mysite.freeserve.com

Hey man your mixer rulez, I just love ****in A&H their mixers sounds gorgeous, ****ing great

massplanck
22-06-2004, 04:36 PM
do check out the yamaha rs7000 before wasting money on synths that you have nothing decent to sequence them with.

nothing beats it .

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/KeyboardsDMI/Product/Main/RSS7000.gif

278d7e64a374de26f==