PDA

View Full Version : Phat new dual display monitors

Jimfish
09-06-2004, 01:15 PM
check this puppy out!

should be coming to the uk very soon and apparently its only going to be £500!

http://www.doublesight.com/

DJZeMig_L
09-06-2004, 01:51 PM
humm I could have donne with a smaller seperation bar! :(

I got a friend that tryed this specs that u put on yer head, sort of like a 3d/ virtual reality helmet, and he says it works absolutly brilliant, has more than enought detail and the word are is about 3x17" Tft!? :shock:

i've been meaning 2 try. If I do I'll let u know!

Z

Si the Sigh
09-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Just watched the demo on that website. Looks pretty cool! :cool:

Jimfish
09-06-2004, 02:49 PM
yeah the bar is the whackest looking thing about em.. guess thats why its only £500

audioinjection
09-06-2004, 04:19 PM
not bad looking, but that big ass bar gots to go

Komplex
10-06-2004, 03:13 AM
humm I could have donne with a smaller seperation bar! :(

I got a friend that tryed this specs that u put on yer head, sort of like a 3d/ virtual reality helmet, and he says it works absolutly brilliant, has more than enought detail and the word are is about 3x17" Tft!? :shock:

i've been meaning 2 try. If I do I'll let u know!

Z

I was thinking about using something like that too. But then I realised that I wont be able to see the keyboard or my gear with them on ;)

I guess it would still be kind of cool. You would feel totally immersed in what you are doing and your surroundings wouldn't affect your mood.

mux
10-06-2004, 04:49 AM
I guess it would still be kind of cool. You would feel totally immersed in what you are doing and your surroundings wouldn't affect your mood.

The answer to that is called "augmented reality", or AR. The idea is to have semi-translucent screens in front of your eyes, with the interface displayed seamlessly over top of your regular vision. Imagine, you're a carpenter doing renovations, and you load the blueprints for the building you're working on into your AR rig, and you can "see" the wiring and plumbing in the walls *before* you make the first cuts...

This would be awesome for studio use - sit in an empty room with a MIDI controller, seeing the keys but having the AR project a huge gothic organ in front of you. Or go more cyberpunk, and have your laptop running, but a full bunch of gear that only you can see, complete with patch cables hanging in mid-air that you could disconnect and reconnect by just gesturing at them. I guess it'd make it harder for the audience to make a connection with the artist...

The display hardware is already out there - the only hurdle is tracking where the HMD *is* exactly - head-tracking in six degrees is not exactly trivial, the only really useful way we know how to do it right now is mechanical (ie, having the HMD physically attached to a boom or something, so you can detect exactly where it's pointed).

<-- went to school for this stuff. :) Yeah. Useful, hey? Lots of want ads for "virtual reality technologist" in the classifieds? Lots of fun, but obsolete before we even graduated.

DJZeMig_L
10-06-2004, 06:00 PM
they guy that tolled me about it is using 2 play a flight similator, he says u can turn yer head from side 2 side and "see" almost like u had 3 tfts in front of ya!!

Hopefully He'll give me a link or something... I'll let u guys know!

Z

j_s
12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
What are the sort of costs involed with these goggles? Do they compare to typical LCD screen prices?

DJZeMig_L
14-06-2004, 07:30 PM
news as I get'em ... sorry 4 the delay!

Preaty curious meself!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==