PDA

View Full Version : Innovation...

Paul Zykotik
10-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Saw this quote from another thread...

i think what goes for innovative in techno music today is a load. it's really nothing special.

I'm really wondering if it's possible to be TRULY innovative anymore. It's something I've been thinking for the last two or three years now, that pretty much everything has been done.

What does everybody else think? Is it still possible to release something completely out of the ordinary, or are we stuck in a rut of borrowing samples, making loops etc? Is it down to the fact that as soon as something gets created it gets imitated and pigeon-holed? Is there only so far we can go with creating new sounds or ways of using existing ones?

Just wondering - but ask yourself, when was the last time you heard something that made you step back and go "****, THAT'S INCREDIBLE"

I honestly couldn't say anything has done that to me since about 1998, when I first heard the new direction drum & bass was taking at the time. Is it possible, or are we just going through the motions?

Adverse
10-03-2003, 08:11 PM
the music dropping on emergence records is really pushing an envelope. i love it. this innovation problem lies in the whole "what sells" part of techno. move past that and it can be done.

i encourage everybody on this board to check out emergence

www.emergence-records.com

Adverse
10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
'Just wondering - but ask yourself, when was the last time you heard something that made you step back and go "****, THAT'S INCREDIBLE"'

I was having this conversation the other day and it's true. it doesn't happen. there's few new sounds evolving. (see above)

detfella
11-03-2003, 01:31 AM
We're the people to do something about it. :idea:

I think there's plenty of new (& old undiscovered) music out there, problem i find is that there are too many genres so its hard to keep up with it all. God knows how john peel does it, he must have heard soooo much music and his brain still seems to be intact.

Check out Sonar in Barcalona or All Tomorrow's Parties, they put on innovative artists.....

....have u guys seen the number of different & unique synths, VSTs, effects out there at the moment, its up to the next generation of artists to produce the next twists and it's up to us to believe in them.

-{St o ned}- :shock:

miromiric.
14-03-2003, 10:29 AM
>>I'm really wondering if it's possible to be TRULY innovative anymore

Explain inovative. If u mean something truly original, something that doesn`t have anything to do with the rest of the world, then answer is NO.
inovative for me means development based on technology and experience u possess.
when steve reich made drumming, that was first minimalistic composition in western world (196?.) and, yes, that was pure inovation. but was it truly original? NOP! no, because he built it on ancient african and indian primal rhythms and added the touch of modern world (there`s where inovation steps in).

>>Just wondering - but ask yourself, when was the last time you heard something that made you step back and go "****, THAT'S INCREDIBLE"

Last time? about 2 weeks ago (emergence rec.). then when i first heard PVC records, c. wunsch...but yes, almost entire last year was pretty dry, but something happened when tony put out SCREW THE ROSES. some new force is driving us forward... :arrow:

Buttman
14-03-2003, 03:46 PM
>>>>Just wondering - but ask yourself, when was the last time you heard something that made you step back and go "****, THAT'S INCREDIBLE"

Last time? about 2 weeks ago (emergence rec.).

Naaaaaaaw you are such a sweetiepie! Smoochie smoochie. :oops:

wenna
14-03-2003, 03:52 PM
aciiiieeeeed seems to be on my mind alot lately (hard acid that is- perhaps thats the >.>>) WE HAVE TO SEE

miromiric.
14-03-2003, 05:11 PM
>>Naaaaaaaw you are such a sweetiepie! Smoochie smoochie.

now this is gay!

Buttman
14-03-2003, 07:28 PM
>>Naaaaaaaw you are such a sweetiepie! Smoochie smoochie.

now this is gay!

I would convert for you! :wink:

gunjack
14-03-2003, 08:34 PM
i just signed reeko last night. he is a cool youngsta.

Adverse
14-03-2003, 08:55 PM
DEAF! how's europe man?.. email me!

gunjack
14-03-2003, 10:32 PM
my hotmail is ****ed. also i am going to grenada with victor and dylan drazen in the morning. back after the weekend!

Buttman
15-03-2003, 12:12 AM
i just signed reeko last night. he is a cool youngsta.

Ahh! Which tracks?
Hit me back via e-mail. Love.

278d7e64a374de26f==