PDA

View Full Version : Groovy, Deep and Dark.

dirty_bass
13-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Here is the almost ready to master version of a tune for a label I am submitting to.
It`s on the commercial, groovy side of techno, with a harsh edge.
I`m still juggling with the EQ and compression, so any tips would be appreciated
http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/Pale_in_the_Flare_Light.mp3

djkilo
13-06-2004, 09:13 PM
i think its absolutely excellent DB ... when its released it'll be in my record box for sure .... THE DAMN BASS ALLMOST BLEW ME HEAD OFF! :doh:

dirty_bass
14-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok, well, this track is finished now, the new version is up at the same address.

Also here is the link to another track going on the same label submittal.
Once again, it`s quite deep and techy, but this time I`ve tried to make te hardest possible club techno I could, yet still retaining a commercial edge.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/Desert_Rust.mp3

djkilo
14-06-2004, 07:04 PM
yeah i like desert rust .... not as much as pale in the flare lgiht but desert rust got a real darkside to it that i can't help but admire

NOICE ONE BRUV

xfive
14-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I actually like Desert Rust a bit more....
Steve... I think the production on these is exceptional as always, but really, does trying to gear towards the commerical side need to lend itself to being formulaic? These tracks don't really jump out at me as anything fresh, both in elements used and in structure.
And it may just be my particular tastes.. so take it with a grain of salt... But I would like to hear your thoughts of the "commercial" side of things.

Cheers,
-Chris

dirty_bass
14-06-2004, 09:17 PM
When you are asked to write something for a label, and they tell you what style they ask for. If they say commercial club techno, there`s no point going all broken beat, click and chop on them.
Is there?

xfive
14-06-2004, 09:31 PM
When you are asked to write something for a label, and they tell you what style they ask for. If they say commercial club techno, there`s no point going all broken beat, click and chop on them.
Is there?
You're right, that's completely understandable.
But what I was questioning more was what commercial club techno means to you, and how maybe you can take the opportunity to take your skills and freshen up a (rather stagnant IMHO) area of the scene... because I know you can :)

dirty_bass
14-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, for my own label, I am attempting this. Commercial techno (ie techno that a lot of people wanna listen to, rather than just my mates) with some different twists.

I`m currently working on a very secret project for the label, whcih if I`m lucky could inject some life into things.

I`m into everything now, after my epiphany at a throbbing gristle concert, I realised that there is no orginal techno out there at all, full stop.
It`s all derivative in some way. My only concern now is to make good music., Whether it be experimental, dark and broken, clubby, lush and uplifting, whatever, I`m not gonna let anyone or anything limit, or define me.

djkilo
14-06-2004, 10:44 PM
YES! You Go MAN! Cuoldn't have said that any better! ;)

basslinejunkie
14-06-2004, 11:03 PM
all of your light tracks have been good DB,sure they mite not be in your face evil techno but its still excellent music ;) plus the dark sides are excellent as well,particulary neon rain and im really,really lookin forward to the track you i.d'd for me being released.keep up the good work,your makin sum excellent music ;) :clap:

xfive
14-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Sounds good man. I'm looking forward to hearing what's in the works.
I am also one who likes to dabble in all of the areas.. (although some I have yet to explore heheh).

And I was in no way trying to diss the tracks - they are good, I just think they were too similar to other things I have heard, where as your usual posts nearly always seem to be different from one to the last, which is admirable :)

Evil G
14-06-2004, 11:46 PM
after my epiphany at a throbbing gristle concert, I realised that there is no orginal techno out there at all, full stop.
It`s all derivative in some way. My only concern now is to make good music., .

word up. as a species we've been staying up late banging drums and dancing for thousands of years. techno is a refinement of that art.

DJVirulent
15-06-2004, 02:57 AM
This is definitely a nice chugging banger with great swing and a solid groove, but IMHO the synths are undermixed. Don't be afraid to bring them out and let them rock. :)

ampassasinbirmingham
15-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Bass- Im feeling desert rust. although not my style, i really like how this is very different to things ive heard. chilling yet hard?

Your productons are always very different. Keep them coming. keep them fresh.

dan the acid man
16-06-2004, 10:08 PM
pale light:
this has got some really nice percussion, the synth stab fit's in perfectly with this aswell, the only thing i was'nt to keen on was the shaker, i thought it might be a touch too loud but what do i know.

desert rust:
again i really love the percussion, especially the extra drum's that come in at around 1.30, they really push the track along nicely, overall i thought the synth's worked well in this, added a nice slightly chilled feel, but not too chilled

dirty_bass
16-06-2004, 11:04 PM
hmmm, you might be right about them shakers. I`ve been pushin the tops a little harder recently, as I allways find my stuff ends up a little weaker in the top end when pressed.
I`m probably over doing it now :doh:

Rog
23-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Desert Rust... ouch ouch ouch!!!

Dirty you've hit a nail on the head for me here - the percussion just snaps up so nicely - pure geniuos - it has what i'd describe as a clonky feel..

You know i have "no additives" when im out.. :!: But sh*t me, this would get me punching the air!!! if this is the commercial side of things - bring it all on - very nice. :clap:

The other link would'nt d/load as of yet! :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==