PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth getting a mixer without outboard gear?

eyes without a face
23-10-2002, 03:54 AM
is it really worth me getting a mixer wihtout any outboard gear i.e synths, drum machines to go thru it? il have my midi controller keyboard, can i put that thru my mixer and can i use my mixer without the said outboard gear?

please advise me

cheers

MARKEG
23-10-2002, 04:35 AM
Basically mate, your mixer is for 'sounds' to be mixed together. NOT MIDI. you'll plug things like JACK or PHONO inputs into your mixer (that come from soundcard outputs or keyboard outputs), mix them together, and then add effects from any outboard effects that are routed through the mixer (including compression).

Your MIDI controller keyboard will be routed through a MIDI card or USB into your computer. This will basically send signals to your computer telling it what notes to play. then these notes are either (A) converted to sounds via VST instruments and sent to your soundcard outputs or (B) used to send signals BACK to your keyboard telling it what notes to play and the resulting output is fed from the back of the keyboard to the mixing desk via jack outputs (providing your midi keyboard has internal sounds)

The reason's why I use a mixer are simple

(A) I have alot of MIDI keyboards/Sound Modules/Drum Machines that I want to merge into the mix via their JACK output and:

(B) I have an 8 output soundcard that sends sounds from VSTinstruments and AUDIO tracks (ie WAV files) and I want to merge then into the mix too..

(C) I have outboard effects and compressers - these can only be added through an external MIXER.

(D) Working this way makes your tracks sound less digital and much WARMER - the problem that I hear from people who just send me tracks computer based are that they sound flat. Having a set up like this adds analog warmth you simply can get from just a computer.

PS MY recommendation is a Mackie 1604 VLZ.... you won't regret it and it'll make you get more into music production.

Hey - can anyone add anything else to this?

Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/22/02 10:37:42 pm

eyes without a face
23-10-2002, 05:17 AM
thanks alot mate, still a bit miffed tho

im considerin buying a eurorack channel mixer this week, just trying to work out wether its gonna b worth it or not

im getting a terratec 6x fire card too

DJZeMig_L
23-10-2002, 09:18 AM
can also use a mixer 4 live mixing performing... eventually u might want 2 do so... U will eventually want some outboard gear... also having a mixer can take so of the preassure out of yer CPU!!

Behringer is cheap... some mixers are OK others are absolute cr**.. I had a 2442 and it was a piece of sh***

the higher ones are good... and some of the small models add a nice touch on the sound...

Just make sure u try different brands ...

My advise Mackie, Spirit, Allen & heath...

I just love the sound of the "spirit mixers" especially if u overdrive a channel (excessive use of gain... this makes the nicest Kicks, Snares, Claps.. and distorted rides)..

Z

eyes without a face
23-10-2002, 04:43 PM
im guessing that getting a mixer would be a good idea then, it is only 85 pounds for the 8 channel behringer eurorack and even if i dont use it straight away i will get the hang of it

here are some pics of the card i was planning on getting

"> ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Audio/DMX6fire2496/Images/DMX6fire2496_Board_and_Module_S.jpg [/image]

would this b adequate as u said that each output from my card goes into a seperate input on each mixer channel, so im rite in thinking that if i wanted to have at least 8 channels i would need a souncard with 8 o
Edited by: eyes without a face at: 10/23/02 10:58:18 am

Anonymous
17-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Man... If you plan on using no outboard sends or insert fx to your mixer there is really no reason to buying one. At least not to add warmth or to help glue the mix together by buying a crap behringer desk. Even the bigger eurodesk 24/4´s totally suck. My conclusion; if you plan to keep most of your recording and tracking software based without any outboard gear in perticular, but want to bring something extra to the final mix, simply run your two channels through a decent analogue signal processor and run them back into the soundcard. After all you have a mixer in your software sequenser so use that and save your money and buy a good quality mixer later if needed instead of a cheap behringer or mid range mackie which you´ll end up throwing in the garbage.

DJZeMig_L
18-12-2002, 02:10 AM
Observer is right .. though might want 2 buy an ext. Mixer if u plan 2 play live by using a multiple outs soundcard... but I don't think this is the case...!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==