PDA

View Full Version : Best Cros-Over producer

jonnyspeed
20-06-2004, 03:49 AM
after lots of people complaining that too many hard house procers are commiting crimes again techno :)

So on the positive side...Which artists have made the jump init techno from another genere electronic or itherwaise?

Spark
20-06-2004, 04:17 AM
Lenny Dee
Dano
Lady Dana (she play now also techno besides hardhouse :eh: )

sash
20-06-2004, 04:44 AM
fatboy slim can do pretty much anything he wants....genius!

eyes without a face
20-06-2004, 10:25 AM
the success of an artist who is trying their hand to something new usually depends on where they are coming from, e.g Picotto and Fergie coming from the hard dance scene and trying to become "techno". Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, i cant think of many people who have achieved it, but the only one who really does stand out for me is Sven Vath. He used to be really into all that eurotrance nonsense years and years ago, and now he really is a techno legend.

Tiptoe
20-06-2004, 11:27 AM
well i have to big up alex calver here because his was a name i assosiated with hard house. read an interview and listened to some tunes and all he buys and makes on his own is techno and its not bad either. copy of hydraulix 24 anyone?

Trip Head
20-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Lenny Dee

Definetly

Some quality techno releases.

duncandisorderly
20-06-2004, 01:26 PM
well i have to big up alex calver here because his was a name i assosiated with hard house. read an interview and listened to some tunes and all he buys and makes on his own is techno and its not bad either. copy of hydraulix 24 anyone?

that hydraulix 24 goes off... :clap:

DJ Corbzy
20-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Yeah I'd say Alex Calver and Picotto.

Sunil
20-06-2004, 01:40 PM
but the only one who really does stand out for me is Sven Vath. He used to be really into all that eurotrance nonsense years and years ago, and now he really is a techno legend.

have to disagree there, Vath pushed and was behind much of the good trance that was about, before later moving over fully to techno. As a producer he's done a lot more trance than techno, and his trance releases are miles ahead of any techno he's done. There seems to be an undue amount of praise steeped Vath's way when it comes to techno, and I really do wonder why? What's he done that's been so great or important?

Scrawny
20-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't know production wise if he has done anything ground breaking but as a dj though he's not to bad, I like his taste in music. Saw him do a 3 hour set at I Love Techno Outdoor last summer and really enjoyed it. All those sounds of the season mix cds he brings out always have cracking tunes on them aswell. Sounds of the second season probably being the best.

MangaFish
20-06-2004, 05:13 PM
from what i gaver, alex calver never 'cross-ed over'. his always produced and spun techno.

its just he got famous for being in the hardhouse circit as well.

i guess he was just unlucky that the hardhouse crowd picked up on him 1st :lol:

Stella Boy
20-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Umek, Liebing, Picotto to name just 3.

Paul Nisbet
20-06-2004, 06:59 PM
umek and liebing couldnt really crossover the same as picotto can... he has about every style of jock u can think of spinnin his stuff?

MangaFish
20-06-2004, 07:27 PM
to be honnest, pretty much all DJs that have been on the circit long enuf would have had to 'cross over' from one style to another at some point in their time.

after all, thats the only way how dance music has servived - by reinvention

carl cox used to play regga (if the artical i read about him is true), half the older trance dj's used to play hardcore. why limit yourself to one style per life time?

Stella Boy
20-06-2004, 07:46 PM
umek and liebing couldnt really crossover the same as picotto can... he has about every style of jock u can think of spinnin his stuff?

Umek's loops stuff has been played by house, prog, tech house & techno jocks all over the world for some time now and I've seen trance and hard house guys coming into record shops asking for Liebing stuff purely because they've heard there favourite DJ play it. As for Picotto, he got jaded with hard house and started to knock out techno. Obviously he's gonna sell to a larger audience because he's been a massive name in the hard house scene for some time and with such a large following you'll find they will follow what he plays but to say every style of jock plays his stuff is a bit o.t.t.
Have you seen the line ups for his nights in Ibiza ? Some of the nights are very strong with some top class techno DJ's whom alot of Picotto fans will not have heard of before. For that, I respect the guy.

anx
20-06-2004, 11:31 PM
i know of an artist that should have stuck with techno. nick sentience. seriously. i have some of his old records on a lable called sentience from like 98 i believe and they were pretty ass kicking tracks i think he is a very talented producer, but wastes his talent on shite. just my opinion tho. maybe he really loves it or something.

Tiptoe
20-06-2004, 11:35 PM
i know of an artist that should have stuck with techno. nick sentience. seriously. i have some of his old records on a lable called sentience from like 98 i believe and they were pretty ass kicking tracks i think he is a very talented producer, but wastes his talent on shite. just my opinion tho. maybe he really loves it or something.

you got any links to some of his older stuff. would be interested to hear it

Paul Nisbet
21-06-2004, 07:40 AM

Umek's loops stuff has been played by house, prog, tech house & techno jocks all over the world for some time now and I've seen trance and hard house guys coming into record shops asking for Liebing stuff purely because they've heard there favourite DJ play it. As for Picotto, he got jaded with hard house and started to knock out techno. Obviously he's gonna sell to a larger audience because he's been a massive name in the hard house scene for some time and with such a large following you'll find they will follow what he plays but to say every style of jock plays his stuff is a bit o.t.t.
Have you seen the line ups for his nights in Ibiza ? Some of the nights are very strong with some top class techno DJ's whom alot of Picotto fans will not have heard of before. For that, I respect the guy.

He never really made hard house imo, he managed to come over from trance (where he was massive) and secure his place amongst the techno big names... succesfully. I really havent seen anyone ave the ability to do that, fair enough on umek.... but house, prog and tech are all closely related. TRANCE AND TECHNO however, different all together. From goin gettin his tracks played from oakenfold and dave pearce, to gettin them played by carl cox, c liberator and liebing (btw, even found out david morales was playing a funky mix of one of his tracks a couple of summers ago)... madness.

death on a stick
21-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Kevin Martin (aka The Bug, God, Techno-Animal etc.)

Evil G
21-06-2004, 03:03 PM
what do you guys think about Timo Maas?

he's not my fave, but he is versatile. the first track of his i heard was breaks, and i was surprised when i discovered that he also makes trance, house and some techno.

Si the Sigh
21-06-2004, 03:16 PM
I like Timo Maas's stuff. He has produced some really good tracks over the years.

Sunil
21-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Only sussed out that Techno Animal stuff the other day, picked up a 12" called "Babylon Shaker", it's deadly.

massplanck
21-06-2004, 07:06 PM

Only sussed out that Techno Animal stuff the other day, picked up a 12" called "Babylon Shaker", it's deadly.

aha at last i know who that dude on the cover of anorak was..

http://stat.discogs.com/A/142639-1073328871.jpg

TechMouse
21-06-2004, 07:44 PM
I like Timo Maas's stuff. He has produced some really good tracks over the years.

Or, more to the point, his production team has made some quite good tracks over the years.

MangaFish
21-06-2004, 11:11 PM
what do you guys think about Timo Maas?

he's not my fave, but he is versatile. the first track of his i heard was breaks, and i was surprised when i discovered that he also makes trance, house and some techno.

i love that track he did with kalis (sp?) although the flip side was definatly the better side

DJVirulent
22-06-2004, 02:50 AM
When I opened for DJ Dan a long time ago, he played a whole mess of Umek/ReLoop tracks amidst the big disco house. That says something right there.

As for Picotto, his stuff is usually hit or miss with me. He did an awesome track called Pegasus a few years back, and his Athos 1 stuff is pretty good (especially that Brandy J Kat track on the Primevil EP). However, I've heard some tracks of his considered "techno" and they were straight up garbage.

DJ Preach from Montreal is pretty good at working serious crossover material, and it's usually quality. That "Stars" EP he did is just right for a clubby slot in your set, whereas I've heard a lot of trance DJs bang it as well.

davethedrummer
22-06-2004, 12:00 PM

aye man!
"robotics" full blown 002
top shelf!!! ;)

GAMMA303
22-06-2004, 01:59 PM
i liked when timo did Kinetic Atom "Borg Destroyer" on Phuture Wax an awesome track there don't think ill ever be gettn rid of that one.

i think Mauro Piccotto is great i really like where hes gone with most of his stuff. but i even got some of his downtempo /ambient stuff that i think is really good to listen to as well. he proves himself very versatile.

but i never fully considered him a hard house jock though very close i always thought he was more on the trancey side of things. but thats all nikels and dimes anyway.

yea i keep hearing these hard house guys talking about how they are all gettin into techno over here in the bay and then i here them play out and most of them sound like they are still playing energy at 150 bpms. also a good amount of them are trying to adopt into the psy scene as well. but when they play out HARD NRG still.

ACK!

jonnyspeed
22-06-2004, 07:00 PM
man, how bad was my spelling that night :oops: I blame stella

anx
22-06-2004, 10:12 PM

aye man!
"robotics" full blown 002
top shelf!!! ;)

also quite love your break the system down mix on the other release too.
i have to dig out both tracks now...i bet they are covered in dust!

jonnyspeed
23-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Lots of good rave DJ have crossed over

Mickey Finn = from rave supremo to drum&bass god
Trevor Rockcliffe = from top rave boy to lame tech-house

boo to you trev

DJ Corbzy
23-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Would you class Andreas Kramer as a cross over artist, he never really made much techno way way back did he??

Now he's techno all over!

278d7e64a374de26f==