PDA

View Full Version : What`s inspiring you right now?

dirty_bass
20-06-2004, 11:07 PM
What`s giving you inspiration at the moment(musically)?
I`m talking any genre.
And Why?

At the mo, I`m listening to

Fratres and Tabula Rasa, by Arvo Part. for his minimal, yet musically complex composition.

Lots of Steve Stoll, for his excellent and experimental production and his use of polyrhythms

Lots of Kodo (japanese Taiko) , for their complex and monumental pounding drums.

Clock DVA, the Hacker, and sound mirror, for the total digital feel, and for the beats.

Tiptoe
20-06-2004, 11:24 PM
am really liking producers who are fusing electro with techno. I really like digital beats in techno at the minute. If people like david carreta. In fact if anyone can recomend me some stuff like this would be most greatfull

MARKEG
21-06-2004, 12:32 AM
who inspiring me?

hmmm...

hard techno wise. it's patrik skoog all the way. i'm just in awe of his sound. every single damn thing i just can't believe how good his sound is. even after all these years.

style wise? alot of droney electronic music is featuring heavily in my car playlist as well as some great albums i've aquired recently such as the oliver ho 'soft machine' album and miss kittens recent beast :)

ppl wise? everyone on this board. it's incredible how much you can get influenced by what you read eh??!

VOMATRON
21-06-2004, 12:48 AM
been listening to a lot of older italo disco..not the too cheesy stuff..more the darker things..getting into a lot of old house that i didnt like just a year ago(one thing leads to another i guess)

also been gettin into some neo-folk and 80's gothic/deathrock w/e things and have also dusted off some of my old metal records :)

VOMATRON
21-06-2004, 12:51 AM
@tiptoe: try getting some kiko stuff...dunno if you know it, you probably do, but especially wonderman ep, and the remix of david carreta inside out on hot banana

DJMAYA
21-06-2004, 01:09 AM
hmmm Basement Jaxx work is got me at the moment. massive work!

got some remixes recently of Plug it in and Rende vu and they rock.

People inspire me all the time. they make me laugh and cry, they make me sick and they motivate me.
especially groups of people coming together.

DJ Corbzy
21-06-2004, 01:12 AM
hmmm Basement Jaxx work is got me at the moment. massive work!

got some remixes recently of Plug it in and Rende vu and they rock.

People inspire me all the time. they make me laugh and cry, they make me sick and they motivate me.
especially groups of people coming together.

Yeah I love Basement Jaxx man, Kish Kash is a quality album.

Tiptoe
21-06-2004, 01:19 AM
@tiptoe: try getting some kiko stuff...dunno if you know it, you probably do, but especially wonderman ep, and the remix of david carreta inside out on hot banana

no but am going to check out cheers.
Also like amrk says pat skoog is one of the better producers out there. really tuff beats and made so well.
Also think James Ruskin, Paul Damage/bailey will be pushing boundries this year too.
Dirty you too seem to be knocking out some cool stuff and have some good ideas. (Tiptoe wipes his brown nose :lol: )

DJ Corbzy
21-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Technowise I'd say producers like Pat Skoog, Damon Vallero, Schall & Rauch, Westwood Bros. and Kay D Smith are inspiring me!

Inspiring me to buy techno! :clap:

killarava2day
21-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Schall & Rauch, Westwood Bros. and Kay D Smith

Add in Katz and aren't the first two the one in the same :?:

Patrick DSP
21-06-2004, 04:20 AM
no one right now

i guess i'm in a slump, or i'm looking for something that just isn't there.

MrAcid
21-06-2004, 04:22 AM
chris liberator , dave the drummer and eric sneo...

they're inspiring me

SlavikSvensk
21-06-2004, 08:21 AM
2 dollar egg -graphit ep (klang)

really heavy soul (compilation cd of 70s soul and funk influenced by acid rock)

Sunil
21-06-2004, 10:20 AM
2 dollar egg -graphit ep (klang)

Yeah, wicked record. They use some cool techniques, that cut and paste style is good in minimal techno if not overdone i.e. People just ripping Akufen. These guys pull it off nicely though, it's pretty deep too.

Col
21-06-2004, 10:38 AM
ruskin, mulero, wunsch, reeko, makaton, grovskopa etc, etc, etc

im really loving this stuff at the moment, so dark, yet so artistic. amazing.

Numeric
21-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Dean Rodell, Glenn Wilson (as always) and Patrik Skoog...

:clap:

techno_smack
21-06-2004, 12:29 PM
the sweet female vocals, in hardcore tunes.

DJVirulent
21-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Since I'm working on clubby, melodic tech-house stuff for a few labels, I've been drawing a ton of influence from both Leandro Gamez and Joris Voorn. I've never heard a crap record by either of them, including Leandro's pre-2000 bangers on Fieber. Joris nails the Detroit-with-an-edge vibe with amazing regularity, and Gamez is possibly the only producer who can still rock strong basslines while still sounding fresh.

As far as the harder, darker stuff is concerned, I agree with everyone here about Skoog. I've been buying his (and Headroom's) stuff since the Evil Deception days, and it's all really cool. Although I miss the heavy industrial influence that the older Headroom material exhibited, I think the double-shot of Mankind records Skoog did a bit ago (16 and 17) is probably his finest solo work to date. It's perfectly mixed, bangin', yet intricate with a very hypnotic feel. Although the Mhonolink record that came out immediately afterwards on Mankind was a better seller and more anthemic, Skoog's records just resonated with me a whole lot more.

Also, Dustin Zahn's stuff has always been pretty inspirational. That kid is just amazing, and don't let him argue otherwise on this board. ;)

Rog
21-06-2004, 12:49 PM
what inspires me.. is "sample potential!"

i watch a film and think... ummm that would be a wicked sample, as for then trying to make the chewn.. well - its the limitations of my pc.. and my knowledge! :doh:

i enjoy funky house b/lines - but they are never "deep enougth" also like most things with "acid" so im trying to make bass heavy acid.. i have no examples of what im on about.. sorry! :dontevengothere:

DJ Corbzy
21-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Also while this thread is here, I'm loving the British Murder Boys aka Surgeon and Regis, 'Don't give way to fear' is ****ing amazing! And also 'Rule by Law'...

Great stuff... ;)

DJ Corbzy
21-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Schall & Rauch, Westwood Bros. and Kay D Smith

Add in Katz and aren't the first two the one in the same :?:

I'm not sure mate?!?

But yeah I'd put Katz in there too and Furnee...

massplanck
21-06-2004, 06:14 PM
death metal\the mover\subhead\zhark records\christian vogel

massplanck
21-06-2004, 06:22 PM
As far as the harder, darker stuff is concerned, I agree with everyone here about Skoog. I've been buying his (and Headroom's) stuff since the Evil Deception days, and it's all really cool. Although I miss the heavy industrial influence that the older Headroom material exhibited,

[quote]

this shit really excited me alot around 2000-01. what they **** happened?

massplanck
21-06-2004, 06:23 PM
damn computers. do you think they will ever catch on?

g
21-06-2004, 06:58 PM
'nother vote for 2 Dollar Egg - Graphit EP
Ruskin has always been an inspiration
Murder Ballads - The Complete Collection - M.J. (Mick) Harris & Martyn Bates
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
and apparently just about everything going on in Madrid these days

Stella Boy
21-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Also while this thread is here, I'm loving the British Murder Boys aka Surgeon and Regis, 'Don't give way to fear' is **** amazing! And also 'Rule by Law'...

Great stuff... ;)

You wanna try get hold of some of Paul Bailey's new releases. Pure class. To me it comes across a bit meloncholic and moody with a real twisted fukced up dark edge. It's pure class and he is certainly the man of the moment. :clap:

eyes without a face
21-06-2004, 08:05 PM
different people for different reasons but here is a few

Mark Broom - for sheer production skillllzzzzzz, this geezer really can knock up a track and ive been playing alot of his stuff lately

James Ruskin - been up there for years now and still going strong, always consistent on the decks and production is to die for at times, love it

Chris Finke - one of da boys and rightly so! Wikid Dj and wikid geezer too, props to him!

and some of the younger boys like Reeko, Grovskopa etc im loving at the moment.

non electronic then id have to say Super Furry Animals (as always!), Ben and Jason, Nick Drake, The Flaming Lips all mainly for absolute songwriting talent

:)

eyes without a face
21-06-2004, 08:07 PM
jesssssuuuusss ive missed the daddie out there....

Ben Sims - nuff said!

:)

waldhaus
21-06-2004, 10:52 PM
industrial hardcore, some new german hiphip, jazz

dan the acid man
21-06-2004, 11:01 PM
techno wise, then like lot's have already said, skoog, also henry never fails to inspire, steve, your neon rain is never off my turntable, x booty01 is the only tune that competes for the most play's with it.

other genre's then its got to be white zombie's album astro creep 2000, i managed to find it at the back of a cupboard after searching for it for weeks :love:

kelis:milkshake, just because it's as catchy as hell
iv'e even been listening to some old guns n roses lately

massplanck
21-06-2004, 11:24 PM
other genre's then its got to be white zombie's album astro creep 2000, i managed to find it at the back of a cupboard after searching for it for weeks :love:

ya bollix. this i want.

g
21-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Ben Sims
talented dj but... yawn.

dan the acid man
21-06-2004, 11:43 PM

ya bollix. this i want.

they made some great album's, this one is my favourite though, i think you can pick it up pretty cheap at amazon

dirty_bass
21-06-2004, 11:53 PM
White Zombies La Sexorcisto was the best.

sash
22-06-2004, 12:08 AM
* pounding grooves/ pattern play - the sounds r killing me. Everything i wish i could produce

* acid techno - i just have this urge at the moment to go hard..

* glitch house - not even sure if that's what it's called. Real minimal shitt. Matthew Dear type flavour....

* death/ black metal - i wouldn't have a clue who's who, but i just put the metal show on the radio and find some psycho's goin totally off and i love it.

SlavikSvensk
22-06-2004, 12:18 AM
best black metal=emperor "in the nightside eclipse"

Evil G
22-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Dug out some old stuff for nostaglia's sake and was surprised by the NIN "Broken" and "Fixed" ep's. Some of the hardest sounds and craziest programming ever, regardless of genre.

dirty_bass
22-06-2004, 01:39 AM
NIN. Trent Reznor cops a lot of flack, but his produciton skills piss all over most techno producers. The man is a genius in the studio and some of his stuff is really really evil.
Eraser is feckin nasty.

ANDROID
22-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Mauro Picotto pretty good today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adverse
22-06-2004, 06:11 AM
*sigh*

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 07:12 AM
slayer
dj blass

Patrick DSP
22-06-2004, 07:33 AM
slayer
dj blass

your mama

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 07:39 AM
slayer
dj blass

your mama

I'm going to slap the shit out you. :twisted:

Patrick DSP
22-06-2004, 07:42 AM
http://bbs.jitterjaw.com/images/avatars/2528740c1f5cb0c3dc.gif

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Fawker. Back on topic bitch!

dan the acid man
22-06-2004, 09:05 AM
lover's tiff :roll: :lol:

BloodStar
22-06-2004, 09:46 AM
There's lot of good music out, which inspires me. There's lot of shitty music which inspires me too, in some ways, indeed. It gives me better point of view, which way to follow and what part of which music will stay in my head.
I hate Plastikman's clicky minimal stuff.. also the rock or metal guitar stuffs. I like lot of genres of electronic music,. I like hiphop, guys like PhiLifeCypher,SwollenMebers,Dilated Peoples and also the turnatblists, QBert, and rest of ISP and many more. While talking about techno there's several guys who can interpret their way of "techno" and all of them do it very well.
Alexander Kowalski makes massive basslines, I like. His music has a soul for me. When we're talking about more rollin stuffs, I really love MichaelBurkat and Lars Klein. also Slobodan, is quallity...

GAMMA303
22-06-2004, 10:22 AM
im digging a lot of the Magik Muzik stuff right now, a lot of the tech trance stuff great percussion lines, groovin bass and cool samples, plus i like a lot of the white noise builds.

Outside of that staying in the Country has really inspired me as of the late, coming back to my roots. has really grounded me and makes me feel whole again. hence the inspiration.

davethedrummer
22-06-2004, 12:08 PM
outkast , coldplay , timbeland , bobby friction and nehal , john peel!!!!
eminem , dre , keane , umek , mates running decent techno labels and working for a pittance , ant , geezer , darc marc , final arscratch, my new g4 powerbook :love:
scissor sisters , basment jaxx , the streets , audio bullys ,
underground house music. chris cunninghams videos , the matrix trilogy ,
ooooooh lotsa stuff!!!!! :cool:

Rog
22-06-2004, 12:55 PM
i suprised how much notice, and attention the streets received.. the first albulm is massive - the second is growing slowly.. all good!

and if you like dre/eminem etc... check out the invasion disks by dj green lantern!!! oh my god!!! disk 3 - track 3.. av it! :crackup:

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Surprized to see how much commercial hip hop is on this topic.
I would have expected more props to RJ D2 or El-P, Madlib and Mf Doom.

BloodStar
22-06-2004, 05:28 PM
forgot to mention french hip hop. I AM,freeman,and so on.... it's very good

g
22-06-2004, 06:00 PM
in general hip hop does nothing for me... just for the sake of being contrary ;)

altho i do have a timbaland instrumentals cd that i really dig. same with some neptunes stuff. it's just that 9 out of 10 vocals make me want to jam forks in my ears.

Joseph Isaac
22-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Regis is heavily influencing me. World Politics is for some reason influencing my music as well more than it has before...

The Overfiend
22-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Love and truth inspire.

matt303
22-06-2004, 07:45 PM

Me too, there is so much good shit out there, that is actually hip hop, not rap/rnb/urban etc. I know you disagree, but aesop rock blows me away everytime.

As for inspiration, a friend of mine gave me Another Fine Day - Salvage, which is awesome. I had an idea about music i would like to hear, and then BAM, it actually exists.

dan the acid man
22-06-2004, 08:02 PM
ooh yeah, john peel is inspiring, his shows never fail to impress me :love:

Trip Head
22-06-2004, 09:24 PM
ooh yeah, john peel is inspiring, his shows never fail to impress me :love:

Yeh he's excellent, you go through such an incredible variety of styles and quality music listening to hiw show :clap:

killarava2day
22-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Coles new one on Holzplatten is nice
And still love Holgi Stars LP on Kiddaz

quazkvas
23-06-2004, 07:06 AM

Me too, there is so much good shit out there, that is actually hip hop, not rap/rnb/urban etc. I know you disagree, but aesop rock blows me away everytime.

dj vadim, shadow, cut chemist, tribe called quest, blackstar aka mos def and kwali, dj premier, jon keneddy, noel zancanella, massive goes for ninja tunes, pete rock :love: , prefuse 73 lots innit

Mattias Fridell (emb)
23-06-2004, 05:51 PM
What´s inspire me?

Simon & Garfunkel, Dire Strates, Chris Rea, Blackmore´s nigth, Jan Johansson and some other "non-techno" artists.
These guys inpires me to make music, even if it´s not techno producers =)

matt303
23-06-2004, 06:31 PM
[dj vadim, shadow, cut chemist, tribe called quest, blackstar aka mos def and kwali, dj premier, jon keneddy, noel zancanella, massive goes for ninja tunes, pete rock :love: , prefuse 73 lots innit

it most definately is!

MARKEG
24-06-2004, 12:27 AM
look i mentioned this in the dark forum but i think it's really relavant here - bbc radio 3 10.15-11.30 friday nights (perfect for the car). DONT MISS IT. it's amazing. this program is opening my whole mind at the mo. sometimes it gets a little too obscure/rocky/hiphop for me but then there's points where you're seriously on the edge of your seat.

for all you guys out of the uk, follow this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/index.shtml?logo

and then follw the links to 'new music/mixing it' (on the right hand side)....

dirty_bass
24-06-2004, 12:34 AM
look i mentioned this in the dark forum but i think it's really relavant here - bbc radio 3 10.15-11.30 friday nights (perfect for the car). DONT MISS IT. it's amazing. this program is opening my whole mind at the mo. sometimes it gets a little too obscure/rocky/hiphop for me but then there's points where you're seriously on the edge of your seat.

for all you guys out of the uk, follow this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/index.shtml?logo

wow, this rules. Radio 3 rules the day again.

MARKEG
24-06-2004, 12:37 AM
i cant believe it sometimes that i'm in the car listening to radio 3 (shock horror!!!) but i am seriously quite religious about this program at the moment. i'm hearing so much difference on this show...

MARKEG
24-06-2004, 12:46 AM
if anyone's reading this who are not particularly into anything but techno, i recommend following this link, and listening to it whilst doing something constructive (like designing your website or something). it really is such a great show :)

Jimfish
24-06-2004, 12:51 AM
oooh, better check it then.. i think you mentioned this a while back. they'll have at least one more listener this week thanks to you..

dont think i didnt see that secret edit button!

MARKEG
24-06-2004, 01:04 AM
check it out and then let me know hehehhehehe ;)

dan the acid man
24-06-2004, 01:12 AM
oooh, it sounds good, i would have never thought of listening to radio 3

Patrick DSP
24-06-2004, 01:29 AM
I FOUND IT!!!

how could i be so blind. what inspires me is what i listen to every night before i go to bed!!!

old radio dramas from the 1930's 40's and 50's.

stuff like dragnet, night beat, the great gildersleave, life of luigi, the shadow, the 3rd man, all those great great shows.

i think my collection has grown to over 500 hours of these shows. i'm very addicted!!!

oh yeah brian eno, flood and old beatles records for production value.

dirty_bass
24-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Flood, now that is one seriously talented producer

dan the acid man
24-06-2004, 02:43 AM
you still cant beat the revolver album by the beatles :love:

The Overfiend
24-06-2004, 02:52 AM
Anything Rick Rubin has that shit turned to gold sound to it as well.

Adverse
24-06-2004, 04:40 AM
Anything Rick Rubin has that shit turned to gold sound to it as well.

TRUE ****ING THAT

Evil G
24-06-2004, 11:56 PM
another trip down memory lane that has me thinking:

yaz - upstairs at eric's - 1980

a very odd mix, from cheeze to really twisted, all electronic, at a time when digital watches were still a novelty.

Kangxi
25-06-2004, 05:14 AM
Hi Everyone,

Last month I went to see the Indian "national treasure" Zakir Hussein at a big f off symphonic hall here in Portland - - friends took me, I wasn't doing anything that night, yada yada yada. Had no idea what to expect.

Now I know why the Indians call him a national treasure, no need for quotes. Hussein is a tabla player, so you might be forgiven for thinking, "and?" But if you saw this man sit down and play (by himself and with others) your jaw would have to be soldered back onto your melon. I have never heard or seen anything like it. the level of complexity in the time signatures and the utter command he has over two simple drums was astounding.

I bring this up because the whole time he was playing there was an intensity equal to what one would feel right in the middle of a lucid club set at a venue with perfect sound. I mean, great "time" is great time whether its mixing or some geez wailing away on a tin bucket! If you happen across some of his recordings you might want to check it out, esp. you producers.

Rave on, tabla freaks.

Patrick DSP
25-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

Last month I went to see the Indian "national treasure" Zakir Hussein at a big f off symphonic hall here in Portland - - friends took me, I wasn't doing anything that night, yada yada yada. Had no idea what to expect.

Now I know why the Indians call him a national treasure, no need for quotes. Hussein is a tabla player, so you might be forgiven for thinking, "and?" But if you saw this man sit down and play (by himself and with others) your jaw would have to be soldered back onto your melon. I have never heard or seen anything like it. the level of complexity in the time signatures and the utter command he has over two simple drums was astounding.

I bring this up because the whole time he was playing there was an intensity equal to what one would feel right in the middle of a lucid club set at a venue with perfect sound. I mean, great "time" is great time whether its mixing or some geez wailing away on a tin bucket! If you happen across some of his recordings you might want to check it out, esp. you producers.

Rave on, tabla freaks.

Is he the same guy that asks the crowd to name a sound and he'll mimic it on his tabla? If so, I’ve heard his work. It is truly remarkable.

Kangxi
25-06-2004, 03:57 PM
He did not do that at the show that I saw, but I'd wager he could make his tablas sound like anything he wanted them to be - - a right Korg Triton they were! Chirps, pops, thwacks, moans, basslines, what ever...

Back to the main topic of inspiration, I should note that this guy has undoubtedly been "woodshedding" in the practice room for the better part of the day since he was a child. We should all take a page from that book and work on our music with that type of determination - - I'm sure the results will reflect the effort

Scrawny
26-06-2004, 02:30 AM
coldplay

I know music is all a matter of opinion but seriously......have a chat with yourself!!!!

Scrawny
26-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Radioactove Man, Decal, Ceephax Acid Crew, Luke Vibert etc etc etc

crime
26-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Random sounds from airports, trains, planes and my car..
Hackney Bashment pirates
Villalobos
The sheer darkness of my life right now....

Ritzi Lee
26-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Random sounds from airports, trains, planes and my car..

that's the shit man!
and also different noises from all kinds of electric equipment. :D

dan the acid man
26-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I know music is all a matter of opinion but seriously......have a chat with yourself!!!!

there's nothing wrong with coldplay, they might not be original, but they write some great anthemic songs

matt303
26-06-2004, 06:25 PM
i would say they were original, and infact they have marginally increased my view of the general public, because, for once there is a very popular group, who also write exceptional songs.

Buttman
27-06-2004, 03:48 AM
DAP - double anal penetration.. It has become rather popular on the porn scene lately. I am not too into it but it is eye (?) opening anyway!

Adverse
27-06-2004, 03:50 AM
that sounds sore. sorta like some recent techno :) LOL.

The Overfiend
27-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Are you two bored. :dontevengothere:

davethedrummer
27-06-2004, 05:42 AM

don't have the time to catch up with much underground hip hop
and also sometimes i just like to buy what i've heard on the radio

although i did pick up an album of old b boy classics the other week
and a compilation on rawkus which were both pretty good.

but then i like coldplay so what would i know??

;)

davethedrummer
27-06-2004, 05:49 AM

erm mate...... i didn't say coldplay to the exclusion of all else. i mean luke vibert is ok too but since i shaved my beard off i've found it hard to listen to him with nothing to stroke. ( except the obvious . and i am NOT gonna start wanking to wagon christ )

davethedrummer
27-06-2004, 05:53 AM

yeah know the name , what did he do??? can't remember , probably got some of his productions somewhere :oops:

Patrick DSP
27-06-2004, 06:05 AM

yeah know the name , what did he do??? can't remember , probably got some of his productions somewhere :oops:

Produced and/or mixed for... Depeche Mode, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Soft Cell, Psychic TV, Cabaret Voltaire, Erasure, Nitzer Ebb, New Order and worked with Brian Eno on U2's Zooropa and Achtung Baby Album

Patrick DSP
27-06-2004, 06:08 AM
oh yeah
he did stuff for Jesus and Marychain as well as PJ Harvey.

Adverse
27-06-2004, 08:34 AM

Produced and/or mixed for... Depeche Mode, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Soft Cell, Psychic TV, Cabaret Voltaire, Erasure, Nitzer Ebb, New Order and worked with Brian Eno on U2's Zooropa and Achtung Baby Album

that's a seriously ****ing cool list

Adverse
27-06-2004, 08:36 AM

erm mate...... i didn't say coldplay to the exclusion of all else. i mean luke vibert is ok too but since i shaved my beard off i've found it hard to listen to him with nothing to stroke. ( except the obvious . and i am NOT gonna start wanking to wagon christ )

plug man.. holy shit i'll never get over that.

he's done some pretty eccentric stuff.

plug ep's 1, 2 and 3 are mental :)

Antinoise
27-06-2004, 07:37 PM
The Brighton breaks scene... (Evil Nine, Freeland......etc)... Some pounding funky shit...... Totallyradio.com.....

278d7e64a374de26f==