PDA

View Full Version : DBX166XL compressor as distortion

mux
21-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Holas,

I've been working for a long time on my SH-101 lead sounds, and I think I've finally hit the perfect live lead sound. My current signal path goes SH-101 => ProCo "Turbo Rat" distortion => Boss DD3 "Digital Delay" => Mackie CR1604 mixer. In the mixer insert for that channel, I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer => DBX 166XL compressor. I've added MIDI to the SH-101, so to "play" it live I send it looped MIDI patterns and wank on the faders...

So, I've got the screamy, corrosive lead tone I've always wanted - but a large portion of the distortion is actually coming from overdriving the "output gain" of the compressor - turning it all the way up, and using the limiter knob (right next to it) to throttle the volume down to something reasonable. It sounds *awesome*, some of the best distortion I've heard.

My question is this - I'm doing a similar trick on the other channel of the DBX 166XL, which handles my kick. I use the compression to shape the sound, then use the gain amp to boost the signal way up. About a month after I bought the compressor, tho, the "gain" knob suddenly developed a very nasty trait, where it would suddenly stop passing a signal until I rapped on the knob with my knuckle (!!! that's my kickdrum dropping out !!!).

So, what do you guys think? Is the broken knob related to overdriving this circuit, or just a coincidence? I can't see a high signal physically damaging a pot, but it's enough of a coincidence to be suspicious. The sound is sooooooo good tho - anyone else overdriving their compressors' gain stage for distortion? Am I asking for trouble? Anyone know if DBX stands up well to overdriving? I've heard that Mackie can handle whatever you throw at it, and sounds great, but that other stuff breaks down nastily...

Evil G
22-06-2004, 12:02 AM
one of the first things i discovered about my dbx 166xl was that the limiter distorts when overdriven. most of the time i try to avoid this, but now and then i like to crank the hell out of it. bass from the juno 106 sounds killer when distorted this way, but other instruments come out a little too crunchy in the high end for my taste.

DJZeMig_L
22-06-2004, 10:55 AM
humm I do not know much about electrics but I guess If u really abuse ALL the time there might b a possibility of frying somethin' up!

Also like evil said 2 much distortion makes yer sound a bit mid-range and slightly nassel-nasty... er... which isn't exactly a bad thing, but 2 many of these sounds and the mix sounds smashingly punchy, but looses bass and sounds harsh! :cry:

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==