PDA

View Full Version : Not quite finished..

Tyrisia
22-06-2004, 02:48 PM
and I'm not sure if I'm completely convinced by it or not, so if anyone can pass comment, good or bad, I'd like to here them.

Click Me (www.tyrisia.com/black_summer.mp3)

dan the acid man
22-06-2004, 11:46 PM
i love the lead synth in this track, it's pretty gorgeous. overall the arrangement is very good, i love your synth tweak's, they fitted the track well, the only things i would say let this track down is the kick and hat's, the kick is too muddy and souns like it may have too much reverb on it, or it may just need hardening up a little with more compression, the hat's sounded a little too dry and could do with a little less lower frequencies and more top end

Jimfish
23-06-2004, 12:09 AM
getting there now man, production has come one leaps and bounds this last year..

ok, so the overall sound is much improved - the size of the sound has grown but there is still plenty of space.. obviously a few individual parts need a tweak (kick, hats etc) but its heading in the right direction.

love the main synth, nice old skool vibe, i think it would go down well.. BUT.. i dont think it works with that bassline - its far too flat, whip a funky bassline in there and it will be really going somewhere..

Im pleased you have managed to get a bigger sound on the bass though man, but i think this style of bass would suit a harder track or a clubby marco bailey type thing.

have a fiddle with the bass and post it back up - i'd like to hear the lead and the bass working togethor as a team in a track like this, so really try to program somthing funky around that old skool synth.

Tyrisia
23-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Cheers for the comments guys, I'll try a new bass and kick tomorrow, and repost - I'll get there in the end! :lol: ;)

Evil G
23-06-2004, 02:57 AM
nice work so far. the sounds all blend nicely.

aside from what's already been mentioned, the only thing that i would change would be the lead in to the first breakdown. the way everything except the piano stab and the sample faded out evenly seemed a little unnatural to me. some sort of fill coming in while those sounds are fading out might make it less obvious.

cheers

Jimfish
23-06-2004, 04:01 AM
yeah, be bold with the bass.. try and get some tag team action happening between it and the lead

Tyrisia
23-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Well, I decided to fix it tonight, or should I say this morning, seeing as how it's half five and the sun's comin up.

Looked at the kick, think it's ok now, problem was I'd maxbassed it twice and forgot, and just got used to it as the track was being put together.

The ride has had a load of verb slapped on it and about 4 k of low frequency taken out, sounds less obvious now which should do the trick.

The bass I ripped out and started again, tried to make as funky as I could without soundin too obvious, it maybe too loud or too quiet, I'm too tired to tell.

Anyway, I'm off for a cig, coffee, and a well deserved sleep.

Either link will load the new track

Jimfish
23-06-2004, 01:33 PM
better..
sounds to me like youve got a bit of a dip in the mid range tho - i'd get a little percussion in there and eg some low mid onto that lead - also maybe increase the reverb on it a tad and then put a graphic eq on the reverb to get it 'singing'

Jimfish
24-06-2004, 01:29 AM
fiddle about with the synth transition at the beginning of the break too.. maybe extend the note of the last stab before the break to carry right through and use filters to morph it into the new stab pattern.. needs something cool there anyway

Tyrisia
24-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, I did all the stuff u lot thought I should, and it's turned out ok.

Doctored the kick drum to get rid of the muddiness, helped the whole track a lot, and did a final mix down (which hadn't been done previously).

Got rid of the fading out of all-the-track-except-the-synths bit, and tried my best to do something cool just before the break (not my forte :lol: ).

Changed the bass again, much better now I think.

Anyway, I think the actual mixdown is the best I've done so far, so if anyone can be bothered with another download, I'd love to hear comments.

All links now download the new track.

Col
25-06-2004, 06:08 PM
nice track. very warm, i like the synth. something doesnt seem quite right eq wise though. maybe you need a little more percussion in the mid & high range? like previouisly mentioned there is something bugging me about that kick and the hats. i cant put my finger on it. the problems seem very subtle though, this track seems reasonably close to sounding professional. im no one to criticise though. (my tracks are shit :lol: )

this track seems very close to being "there" and it is very likeable. i think its best to wait for advice from someone with a little more production knowledge than myself.

Tyrisia
25-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Cheers for the feedback Col, glad u like it. Yeah - it's one of those where I thinks I've got it sounding ok, and upload it, and then listen to it later, and there's this that and the other buggin me about it. I think the top and bottom of it is that I'm gonna have to completely re-think the kick (spent all afternoon eq'in it) and maybe the hats as well.

I thought I'd sorted the mid range by bringin out the congas a bit, but I can see there's still a hole there somewhere. But it's hard to listen objectively anymore as I've been maxin it for three days now - and it's just plain doin me head in!!

Tyrisia
26-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, put a different kick in it and added a little percussion to the mid to fill out a bit, also, the ride sounded dry not because I wasn't puttin verb on it, but when I looked at the settings, the reverb was eq'd out for the top end, so the ride was still dry with loadsa verb on it :doh: I'm callin it a day on this one for a while, sick of listenin to it now.

Evil G
26-06-2004, 08:49 PM
it's coming along nicely. me thinks the snare is a little thin, and might still have room in the low-mids (around 500-600 hz) for one more sound, but the rest is sounding pretty good.

i like the new kick, and the little blippy thing going into the breakdown did the trick. it doesn't take much sometimes. :) gutsy move with the mangled up beat coming out of the break - nice resolution back too. it made it interesting without being too challenging. nice one!

Tyrisia
26-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks G, I'll look at the snare, but glad u like. I think the new kick has given it a whole new lease of life, I should have changed it earlier, don't know why I didn't. The mangled beat out of the break does work quite well if I do say so myself, kinda a happy accident that one, just forgot to cut out a few audio files, and it just kinda happened :dance: . Thanks again for your comments m8.

dan the acid man
26-06-2004, 10:14 PM
this is sounding so different, the improvements are gettin it in the right direction, i would personally have a harder kick in it and bring it out of the bassline a little more, the synth's are still great :love:

Tyrisia
26-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Cheers Dan, I might just get some creative eq on the bassdrum and compress a little more . I know it's a good kick as it was in a load of samples Jim sent me, and it's far better than anything else I've got, so I'll try and make it work. I'll just squash the hell outa it and see what happens! Thanks for the comments m8!

278d7e64a374de26f==