PDA

View Full Version : MILLS "Exhibitionist" dvd

DJMAYA
22-06-2004, 10:53 PM
ummmmmmm....

ive just viewed this dvd and firstly i have to say that Mills makes some massive tunes and ive heard some great mixes,

but what is up with this dvd thing?? am i missing something?
id have rather watched him play on 1 turntable to be honest.

weird!!!

Stella Boy
22-06-2004, 11:01 PM
It's decent viewing after a night out.

Frank Dogshit
22-06-2004, 11:42 PM
too true!

as is that i love techno dvd for a good snigger at how god damn commercial it seems! :lol:

drift9
23-06-2004, 03:38 AM
it makes for interesting viewing i guess.

i would have prefered a live one though... from a few years ago.

but that's just me.

People
28-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I've to say I agree with all 4 posts above.

Not even close to what I had aspected

eyes without a face
28-06-2004, 06:23 PM
ive got it and i think its really really good

neko
28-06-2004, 06:27 PM
too true!

as is that i love techno dvd for a good snigger at how god damn commercial it seems! :lol:

the ILT dvd is funny after a night out.
i love the bit where sven vath comes running onto the stage, and he's tagging everyones hands on the way like hulk hogan or something! :lol: :clap:

Frank Dogshit
28-06-2004, 06:33 PM
i watched it again on sunday and i must admit it really is quite impressive.
the mixings fast and furious and although some of the mixing is out he corrects it within about a second. everything on the dvd is so precise and well thought out.

by the way can anybody tell me who the 2 guys are who do the live thing in the middle of the dvd? i was quite peppered at the time and couldnt make out who it was :doh: .

tioneb
28-06-2004, 06:46 PM
i watched it again on sunday and i must admit it really is quite impressive.
the mixings fast and furious and although some of the mixing is out he corrects it within about a second. everything on the dvd is so precise and well thought out.

by the way can anybody tell me who the 2 guys are who do the live thing in the middle of the dvd? i was quite peppered at the time and couldnt make out who it was :doh: .

random noise generation .. two of the burden brothers :doh:

davethedrummer
28-06-2004, 08:02 PM
we were so hammered when we watched it
that we didn't even realise there was more than 1 mix
so i only saw the foirst one
which i really enjoyed.
since then everyone has told me that's the best one and all the others are shite.

oh well........

aren't jeff mills posts banned????
they should be.

neko
28-06-2004, 08:13 PM
isn't the first one the girl playing chico la?
think it is anyway, i like cristian varela in it where he plays the wolf.
also sven vath playing LFO freak

Daire
28-06-2004, 08:32 PM
they should be.

:clap:

tioneb
28-06-2004, 09:42 PM
we were so hammered when we watched it
that we didn't even realise there was more than 1 mix
so i only saw the foirst one
which i really enjoyed.
since then everyone has told me that's the best one and all the others are shite.

oh well........

they should be.

the axis mix is the best of all , true ... well its just becasue the tracklisting is......axis

Buttman
28-06-2004, 10:15 PM
I really liked the ambient mix, I think the name was Tomorrow Mix.

Stella Boy
28-06-2004, 10:51 PM
[quote=Frank Dogshit]random noise generation .. two of the burden brothers :doh:

These 2 made me laugh. Not for their knowledge and influence on the detroit scene (which IMO is un-questionable) but because when the younger brother talked it reminded me of the impression Eddie Murphy did on his RAW video. :lol: :crackup:

Sunil
28-06-2004, 10:54 PM
These 2 made me laugh. Not for their knowledge and influence on the detroit scene (which IMO is un-questionable) but because when the younger brother talked it reminded me of the impression Eddie Murphy did on his RAW video. :lol: :crackup:

hehe, their performance on that was a highlight.. Two really down to Earth dudes who just wanted to have a jam, and they did it well.

Francisco Scaramanga
29-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I love the DVD, I reckon the purposemaker mix is my favourite. There is some quality tunage going down in all of the mixes though. The only thing I don't get, is what is he doing with his hands? It seems to me that there are loads of times when he is moving his hands over the mixer, fast as lightning, but not actually doing anything with them. Strange. It kind of adds to my "Jeff Mills is a space alien" theory.

Tony
29-06-2004, 02:27 PM
the dvds been on the floor of my living room for about 3months now, no one in my flat has watched it, hmmmm.

Rhys
30-06-2004, 03:08 AM
It has some good points but i can't help thinking it would have been a better representation of the Mills experience if it was just one 3 hour mix filmed in a club so you get the atmosphere a bit.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rapture on Sky showed some videos of some techno dj serts instead of the usual Judge Jules, Anne Savage nasties?

yeswehavetheright
30-06-2004, 05:32 PM
It has some good points but i can't help thinking it would have been a better representation of the Mills experience if it was just one 3 hour mix filmed in a club so you get the atmosphere a bit.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rapture on Sky showed some videos of some techno dj serts instead of the usual Judge Jules, Anne Savage nasties?

This would have been much better!!
As it stands, the DVD is ok and worth a look but to be honest I haven't managed to watch a whole mix yet as I just get bored :roll: :roll:

Probably good to watch when your wasted. Actually, does he actually do any mixing in the shop window as I haven't found a mix yet where he does? Quite dissapointed actually!

tioneb
30-06-2004, 05:46 PM
I love the DVD, I reckon the purposemaker mix is my favourite. There is some quality tunage going down in all of the mixes though. The only thing I don't get, is what is he doing with his hands? It seems to me that there are loads of times when he is moving his hands over the mixer, fast as lightning, but not actually doing anything with them. Strange. It kind of adds to my "Jeff Mills is a space alien" theory.

are you dj ??? i think everyone who djs here can agree with me on the fact that everyone hes doing with the mixer is hearable...

dont mess up with what hes doing with the decks / records that sometimes can be heard only in his headphones when hes cueing.

neko
30-06-2004, 06:33 PM

rapture is shite isn't it? :lol:
they show the same old crap they've been putting on for the last 3 or 4 years

Francisco Scaramanga
01-07-2004, 01:30 PM

are you dj ??? i think everyone who djs here can agree with me on the fact that everyone hes doing with the mixer is hearable...

dont mess up with what hes doing with the decks / records that sometimes can be heard only in his headphones when hes cueing.

Watch it again, there are definately points when his hands are moving without any results. I do play out, so I do know that cueing records etc, wont be heard in the mix, but its not what he's doing with the records I'm talking about. Watch him on the faders, there are points when he is simply tapping the fader, but not actually moving it. I thought perhaps it might have something to do with counting beats/bars/measures, but I'm not sure. He also seems to move his hands from fader to fader and over the eq knobs as well, touching them, but not actually adjusting them in any way (and he is moving those hands REALLY FAST). Perhaps its just a sort of check to make sure all his levels are right, only he does it with his fingers as well as his eyes (and I should add, he is doing this ALOT).

I'm not slating him, I absolutely love him, so much so that I have watched the DVD enough to notice the above points. As I said, it adds to my space alien theory. Or maybe robot is more apt, he is just like programmed to mix records fast and move his hands all over the mixer really quickly.

Also, its not just me who has noticed this, I have spoken to DJ's who have warmed up for him or gone on after, and they noticed the same crazy manic hand movements that don't always result in anything.

Koenig
01-07-2004, 02:00 PM
the ILT dvd is funny after a night out.
i love the bit where sven vath comes running onto the stage, and he's tagging everyones hands on the way like hulk hogan or something! :lol: :clap:

Just before that bit, he is being interviewed backstage and gets a call to go on and says in a very Arnie sounding voice 'I must play now!' :lol:

Stella Boy
01-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Watch it again, there are definately points when his hands are moving without any results. .

Maybe because he's running through the EQ's to make sure they are set right for the mix. He's so quick at mixing that this might be the safest way of checking things are OK. :crackup:

tioneb
01-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Watch it again, there are definately points when his hands are moving without any results. I do play out, so I do know that cueing records etc, wont be heard in the mix, but its not what he's doing with the records I'm talking about. Watch him on the faders, there are points when he is simply tapping the fader, but not actually moving it. I thought perhaps it might have something to do with counting beats/bars/measures, but I'm not sure. He also seems to move his hands from fader to fader and over the eq knobs as well, touching them, but not actually adjusting them in any way (and he is moving those hands REALLY FAST). Perhaps its just a sort of check to make sure all his levels are right, only he does it with his fingers as well as his eyes (and I should add, he is doing this ALOT).

I'm not slating him, I absolutely love him, so much so that I have watched the DVD enough to notice the above points. As I said, it adds to my space alien theory. Or maybe robot is more apt, he is just like programmed to mix records fast and move his hands all over the mixer really quickly.

Also, its not just me who has noticed this, I have spoken to DJ's who have warmed up for him or gone on after, and they noticed the same crazy manic hand movements that don't always result in anything.

well i instinctively started to mix a few years ago in a similar way like jeff mills ...just becasue i was inspired by the mix up compilation

i do not try to explain i mix like jeff mills, hes far better than me ... but many epople already told me i am tweaking the eqs like a nerd ... how do you explain that i have been doing this without having seen him and being just inspired by some sets i could download on the net ???

just to explain that to produce some effects the fast EQ moving isnt something to look good, but is just necessary .

yes of course a big part of mills is the visual aspect ... many people enjoy seing him as much as they like his music ... and i think in this way he was the one who desserved doing the frist dvd-mix in the was he did.

tioneb
01-07-2004, 09:40 PM
i should add that there are djs who are very tight with equing, and that u cant really hear what they're doing as they are so "progressive"

a good example is laurent garnier, with who you often cant even feel when he throws the bass of the tracks hes mixing ... (except whe does some "cut the bass" effects of course)

i ve bee recently trying to mix the bassdrums in this smooth way (its pretty hard when they sound different) and sometimes when it wokrs out well , you could see that the bass eqs are moving but cannot really hear the difference

278d7e64a374de26f==