PDA

View Full Version : Sampling question...

Si the Sigh
23-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I want to create a Hazchem style techno track (London acid style with old skool hardcore samples, stabs & sounds) using samples from Tango & Ratty's Tales from the Darkside. Would I have to contact them about using their samples? Sorry if this seems a dumb question! I feel I should contact them, but my mate says don't bother. Im not trying to get this tune released, just something created for me to play out.

DJZeMig_L
23-06-2004, 11:23 AM
no worries if u ain't aiming 4 a release!

Z

Si the Sigh
23-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok, so if its for a release then you contact the people / artist your sampling from. Cool. Thanks!

DJZeMig_L
23-06-2004, 05:10 PM
U should.

Z

steelgrooves
23-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Thats a good question.

So when Size Triple d sampled nobody listens to techno from eminems song do you think they had to get it licensed and part of the sales went to them or did they just make it and release it with no info on the record.

I was wondering the same about the one Chris Lib and crew did on Yolk.
Same song sampled . (Without Me/M&M)

I mean i can understand if you alter the audio enough and make it sound like something totally different then you probably wouldnt sweat it but when its obvious that its a sample do you need a license to use it?

DJZeMig_L
24-06-2004, 11:59 AM
this has been discussed.
We all have used samples, more criatively, with more changes or not, but the fact is the right way 2 go about it is 2 ask permition.
If it's a small thing no1 will b able 2 take u 2 court as it won't b worth the expense and trouble...

Z

slavestudios
25-06-2004, 01:51 PM
if its a techno producer, go ask.

if its hip hop, just ****in rip them. their entire musical ethos is built on ripping other ppls breaks, so how M&M had the audacity to threaten Leibing with court proceddings if he put out his M&M bootleg is beyond me...

FILTERZ
25-06-2004, 02:09 PM
i think you can use any samples you like in a live situation as long as you dont record or distribute it

slavestudios
25-06-2004, 02:13 PM
i currently have a 'listen to techno' sample in my live set. it gets ****in mangled durin the break too :twisted:

278d7e64a374de26f==