PDA

View Full Version : funky techno

Esox Lucius
16-03-2003, 01:55 PM
what are you`re opinions on it, i mean stuff like umek, valentino etc...personally i can`t stand it, it has to be the most tedious boring form of techno around.

Adverse
16-03-2003, 02:30 PM
gosh, you can't stand it? that's pretty strong statement. how far off is umek fromthe techno you listen too?

eyes without a face
16-03-2003, 02:56 PM
youve got to define funky to b honest. alot of hard techno still has a large element of funk to it, but if u mean music produced by the likes of Umek, Valentino etc then yeah i dont really like it. Umeks done some wikid stuff, but has very quickly become a bit of a workhorse and most of his stuff is to my distaste.

there are some decent funkier techno djs tho, Christian Smith, Justin Robertson to name 2

Esox Lucius
16-03-2003, 03:20 PM
yeah i know it`s hard to define funk, techno in general is all about funk, i mean what is usually classed as funky techno, umek etc.

i would say the techno i am into is very far away from umek, he has produced some half decent tunes a while ago, but say over the last 2 years his productions & sets are very boring and cheesey.

fair enough if people like them, no problem... just not my cup of tea.

krakp0t
16-03-2003, 05:16 PM
how bout' wonky techno?

justin robertson gets hi fives btw.

Buttman
16-03-2003, 05:27 PM
what are you`re opinions on it, i mean stuff like umek, valentino etc...personally i can`t stand it, it has to be the most tedious boring form of techno around.

I agree.. Damn booty music.

observer
16-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I´d say I´m a funky monkey but Umek or Recycled Loops still ain´t my dish. I consider stuff like pure plastic funky.

Esox Lucius
16-03-2003, 09:36 PM
pure plastic is my fav label and rue east my fav producers, i wouldn`t describe it as funky though.

DJZeMig_L
17-03-2003, 01:34 AM
Heya,

I've been stayin' way from this discussion, but here's my 2 cents 4 what it's worth...

I have been playin techno 4 a lot of years now, so a lot of stuff just sound 2 ruff/ simple 4 me .... THEN again a lot of stuff can b very simple and basic and really brilliant all the same... Moving on... not passing any comments on what's good or not I really dig a nice blend of booty, hard techno, tribal, funky,... all things techno... I get 2 c countless djs playing some wicked stuff and wicked skills but the play 2 h of the same ... so after a while it gets boring (2 me!!)... A clear example of this was this 1 time I was playing with Marco Carola, this man ripped the system but with every record I started loosing interest... I love some funkyer stuff some more purist might even call it "gay" ... but I could never play more then some 20m of it... also radical changes sometimes r good but mostly r :cry: So I love 2 mix and match styles, I personaly don't favour much swede tech or even most of the punish stuff Still I love 2 throw down punish 18, 19 with some crazy booty vocals and suddently u get instant funkness with hard grittiness!!

Hope I don't get shot in here,

Each 1 2 it's own,

respect,

Z

Patrick
17-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Yeah, what Z said ! (check my rhyme!)
I agree totally, personally I need a mix'n'match, going through all the styles to keep me interested. Umek gets the thumbs up for that from me.

Techfunk, did you mean just his releases as Umek bore you, or were you including the Mumps, Recycled Loops and Zeta Reticula stuff as well ?

Esox Lucius
17-03-2003, 01:08 PM
I like his zeta reticula stuff on electrix, but techno wise i think he is poor, especially his recycled loops stuff, not too keen on his mumps stuff either, his kemu stuff has to be the worst though.

gunjack
17-03-2003, 01:10 PM
i do not like umek at all. also, the word "wonky" is sooooooo ghey.

miromiric.
17-03-2003, 03:17 PM
recycled loops - hmmmmm i think we had discussion here earlier about recycling other ppl loops.

LOOPS in the name of god!!!

Buttman
17-03-2003, 05:46 PM
recycled loops - hmmmmm i think we had discussion here earlier about recycling other ppl loops.

I have to give them some props even though I think what they do suck because atleast they admit using others loops. Not like Takaaki Itoh sampling Surgeon, Ben Sims sampling Surgeon, Devilfish sampling... Surgeon, etcetera.

Do not get me wrong. I think sampling is perfectly OK if you do anything interesting with it but sampling techno to make techno makes no sense at all to me.

miromiric.
17-03-2003, 06:28 PM
>>sampling techno to make techno makes no sense at all to me

nice thought, i agree on this one with ya.

takaaki samples surgeon??? but i love that guy, why did u have to tell me this?! :( :x

Adverse
17-03-2003, 07:22 PM
he also sampled max duley hehe

miromiric.
17-03-2003, 07:35 PM
noooooooooooooo have mercy on me!!! :cry: :cry:

anyone heard his mixing technique? really poor, even i can mix better then him. but i forgave him all just cause of wols and that sweet tsunami...

gunjack
17-03-2003, 07:55 PM
hey butt/verse, i am gonna ask taka next month.

Adverse
17-03-2003, 08:56 PM
a side electracom 12 answer ep.

Buttman
18-03-2003, 09:14 AM
hey butt/verse, i am gonna ask taka next month.

Just listen to Wols_1. Surgeon ALL over.. Unmissable if you know your Surgeonism.

Dustin Zahn
20-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Heya,

I've been stayin' way from this discussion, but here's my 2 cents 4 what it's worth...

I have been playin techno 4 a lot of years now, so a lot of stuff just sound 2 ruff/ simple 4 me .... THEN again a lot of stuff can b very simple and basic and really brilliant all the same... Moving on... not passing any comments on what's good or not I really dig a nice blend of booty, hard techno, tribal, funky,... all things techno... I get 2 c countless djs playing some wicked stuff and wicked skills but the play 2 h of the same ... so after a while it gets boring (2 me!!)... A clear example of this was this 1 time I was playing with Marco Carola, this man ripped the system but with every record I started loosing interest... I love some funkyer stuff some more purist might even call it "gay" ... but I could never play more then some 20m of it... also radical changes sometimes r good but mostly r :cry: So I love 2 mix and match styles, I personaly don't favour much swede tech or even most of the punish stuff Still I love 2 throw down punish 18, 19 with some crazy booty vocals and suddently u get instant funkness with hard grittiness!!

Hope I don't get shot in here,

Each 1 2 it's own,

respect,

Z

I agree with you for the most part. When I started DJing years ago I had the opportunity to play long sets, sometimes like 4 hours. At first I was just about hard hard ****ing hard techno. But I began to realize that it can get very sickening. I started hearing other styles of music and getting a style down. I'm a very diverese person, so I've grown to play all forms of techno, from ghetto to swechno to mhs techno. It's all great. Dropping the right styles at the right time is all that counts. I will agree some of this funky techno is down right terrible, but then again most music is. I love it all.

As a matter of fact, with over 6 billion people on this earth, I am confident there is great music of EVERY style...but if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough. And yeah, like you guys, I don't waste my time trying to find these tracks half the time.

MARKEG
20-03-2003, 02:10 AM
techno is a huge genre... that's all i'm saying....

Buttman
20-03-2003, 07:55 AM
techno is a huge genre... that's all i'm saying....

Eh.

miromiric.
20-03-2003, 10:54 AM
is it that big really?

DJZeMig_L
20-03-2003, 01:46 PM
I think so... Techno can b hosyer, harder, trancy, bla bla..but If u play house and u move a little bit off line, every1 says imediatelly that u ain't playin' house no more!!

Jus' a little thing... I also mean on my original post mixing diferent styles @ the same time... not just doing slots of thiz and that!!

Z

miromiric.
20-03-2003, 02:12 PM
more likely they try to sell us something CALLED techno all the way...

miasma man
20-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Yes, techno is a huge genre.

I like many different types at different times and in the many different moods that I may be in. This directly influences what I listen to.

I may want something funky (Valentino Kanzani) I may like something messed up, abstract but also funky (Neil Landstrumm & Pacou). I may like something with a bit more soul or substance and live instruments (Heiko Laux & Laurent Garnier). I may just want some hard as muther funkin nails techno cos I had a bad day at work, just split with my girlfriend of 2 years and my mums died (Andres Kramer & Chris Liberator) for example.

But under one mother genre I just luuuuuurve all things techno.

Keep the styles evolving and moving forward = progress. The way to go...

:D

miromiric.
20-03-2003, 08:57 PM
techno has a strict definition and i guess most of the poducers doesn`t fit in it.

Anonymous
20-03-2003, 10:04 PM
techno has a strict definition and i guess most of the poducers doesn`t fit in it.

:shock: Strict Definition?? Are you f*cking insane???!!!

(In the nicest possible way, of course...) :shock:

miromiric.
20-03-2003, 11:17 PM
yes i am!

Techno has some set of rule which are to be followed and breaked in cycling periods. definitely the core of T is inovation, but not every inovation is Techno. i can make something that noone heard before butt that doesnt necesarilly means its T cause maybe it doesnt satisfy some cultural, philosophycal and mathematical standards current Techno music recquires.
Techno is being developed step by step, always breaking the rulez and setting new ones.
so if T is about innovating and reflecting social consciousness how can kanzyani`s techhouse be Techno? maybe it sounds sweet, personaly i dont like it, but it certainly doesn`t satisfy standards.

Patrick
21-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Standards ? Rules ? What the fck? Have I stumbled into an accountancy or a business management forum by accident ? :lol:
Sorry to take the p*ss Miro, but are you suggesting we should be applying IS09000 or Six Sigma standards to techno production ? Surely not. Please no, no, no. Techno can be what it wants to be, there are no boundaries. Never have been, never will be.

miromiric.
21-03-2003, 11:56 AM
but THERE ARE certain rules. denying that is stupid.
what u re saying here is basically WHATEVER u do, NO MATTER how it sounds, which structure it has it is Techno. use your logic skills - if there is no definition then everything is techno.

miromiric.
21-03-2003, 11:59 AM
yes, there r no boundaries, i totally agree. but there are no boundaries in the future. right now we ARE limited by knowledge and TECHNOLOGY we use.

Patrick
21-03-2003, 01:38 PM
but THERE ARE certain rules. denying that is stupid.
what u re saying here is basically WHATEVER u do, NO MATTER how it sounds, which structure it has it is Techno. use your logic skills - if there is no definition then everything is techno.

:lol: No of course that's not what I'm saying. But I was kind of assuming some common sense on our definitions.
Clearly Bob Dylan playing acoustic guitar isn't techno. However, if I record said Mr Dylan playing the same acoustic guitar through a knackered speaker using a mic placed at the end of a garden hose in the bottom of a barrell, then run it through a bank of processors and EFX, syncopate it, quantize it (and do lots of other words like that to it, which I don't really understand but have just read in the producion forum :wink: ) then you could arrive at some thing which is techno.
More likely you would have a f*cking horrible mess, but you could have something great. And it's that infinite possibility which is all important. That's what I mean by no rules, no standards.
The only boundaries we have are the limits of our imaginations. Don't know about you, but my imagination is pretty twisted. :wink: :lol:

Patrick
21-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Bloody hell, I've just invented Techno-trad or Techno-folk. :oops:
Quick Jules and Fairgie, jump on this bandwagon while it's still hot ! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==