PDA

View Full Version : CLASSIC TECHNO SET. should i or shouldnt i ?

slavestudios
25-06-2004, 02:49 AM
i'm in a bit of a sticky place...

at the 'perpetual' club night in belfast (my techno night that i run & play at) we're havin a summer party.

we usually have techno for 5 hours in the main room & dnb in the backroom for 4 hours, but the back room is out of use, so were doing a summer party with house, hip hop, dnb, breaks, techno.. the lot. opening early (7.30-2.30) and no cover charge for the first 2 hours, free cds.. that kinda thing

i'm playin the last 75 minutes and i usually play hard nasty linear techno (amok, wittekind etc) BUT its a summer party, and rather than just blast it out again, i was thinkin of doing a set of my old fave techno trax. u know, obvious shit like Spastik & Forklift & My Definition Of House, Booster, The Alarms, Chemicals remix of packet Of Peace... all that kinda stuff & sequencing it in a really cool order...

BUT, i'm not totally convinced. i think it would work with the whole summer party vibe, buts its also very easy to write off as 'lazy'

ive never done a classics set and ive been playin with the idea for years now...

what ya reckon ? just once ? for the hell of it ?

AcidBastard
25-06-2004, 03:07 AM
I say go for it, just start out your set with the classics and see how the crowd reacts. If everyone is totally groovin' to it, just keep the tunes playin and give the people a chance to hear "older" tracks. But if the crowd hates it, just change it to whatever you normally spin.

That's what I would do if I was in your situation, because it's always good to try new things :dance:

Stella Boy
25-06-2004, 08:02 AM
It's your night so you should know whether the crowd you get are gonna be into it. I say go for it.

Komplex
25-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Or start off with what u usually play and then finish it all off with the oldies to wind the party down.

networkacid
25-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Classics are always good for the last set of the night I reckon... Go for it!

gumpy green
25-06-2004, 11:04 AM
defo go for it......good to change things up a bit now and then....

im sure yall rockthaplacefullstop.

Mind you yer sets ive heard(banging) are the BOMB.

slavestudios
25-06-2004, 01:56 PM
hi grumpy :lol:

think i'll go for the classics. it is a party after all

grumpy, the live show is gettin tighter & tighter.

must get a cd over to ya from the cork gig i done a month ago. sounding tight.

i'll email ya later. tix etc

gary_human
25-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah mate - give it some!!!

You could always go 'old' then 'new etc. etc.

Whatever I bet it'll sound rockin - good luck man!

gary_human
25-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah mate - give it some!!!

You could always go 'old' then 'new etc. etc.

Whatever I bet it'll sound rockin - good luck man!

NUCLEUS
25-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Go for it. About 75% of da time i DJ i play old skool tech, rave and hardcore. What i have found is starting the set with 3 or 4 New 100% floor fillers, then whacking in a couple of oldies. I have found that if you keep the new skool even or more than classics, you will keep most of the dance floor. Some of the classics go off when pitched up. I find that alot of the crowd luv pitched up classics. My self i keep it around 137/139 bpm.
Do want u want, but i have found this is a good method ;)

slavestudios
25-06-2004, 02:29 PM
k. its on :twisted:

cant wait to hear 'It Doesnt Matter' on a big rig again off the back of Forklift

Komplex
25-06-2004, 02:41 PM
gumpy green - thats my new favorite avatar.
[/quote]

gumpy green
25-06-2004, 02:53 PM
gumpy green - thats my new favorite avatar.
[/quote]
cheers, altho i did steal it from some forum somewher....never made it myself....

in the matrix movie when filming----ther cameras has one problem, they just cant film ice cream cones within the matrix, or you would have saw it in the movie......little did they know i was hiding in the back wi ma new phone......obviosly better than ther cameras....mon' the nokia's.

Numeric
25-06-2004, 04:13 PM
I say go with the classics man, for the summer vibe...

278d7e64a374de26f==