PDA

View Full Version : slow techno.......

conflict
25-06-2004, 11:19 PM
i know when i play at home i always love to play at around 132-135 bpm because the music sounds so dam funky,especially all the tribal stuff but when i play out i find that people like it faster and harder.I think you have to have bollox to play a funky set,i've tried it but i always end up laying down some harder beats(145+) it seems to go down better and its easier for the crowd to digest.Maybe its just me.I wannna hear from other dj's who keep it funky and have good response,becaue thats when i would loose it most-proper funky techno.Or maybe there are clubs out there that stick to this policy......

sounds of the techno politics

Stella Boy
25-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Don't know anyone else but I play to the same pattern as I do when getting a set together. I don't pitch up or change my style. It sometimes seems faster in the club probably due to the environment and reactions from the crowd.

Tiptoe
25-06-2004, 11:27 PM
well the way i see it is that a set like that can go down well but at the start of the night mainly. For me when i am on the dancefloor i like it really tuff not necesseraly 145 fast but maybe 138-140 if its really kicking off. Thats in respect to a techno night but if you played a set like that at a club with a broader musical range ie bugged out then i think something like that may go down well. Its just down to where you are. Your right though about when your playing harder more people do get on the dancefloor and i don't think this will ever change. Can't see more people at a techno night on the dancefloor to a slow set than to a quite hard one. Just the way things are i think.

Evil G
26-06-2004, 12:18 AM
i think it has a lot to do with track selection, and the space and complexity of the sounds. a slower track that with deep and interesting sounds and/or dramatic programming can keep people dancing just as well a faster track.

speeding things up can add energy, but obviously can also make it sound too busy. slowing things down usually just makes it sound boring. so i would tend to error on the side of starting with slow tracks and speeding them up.

Greg Dee
26-06-2004, 02:36 AM
It really depends on the crowd/club/event as far as speed goes. Personally i love the funkier stuff around 138 BPM...mmm.

Jimfish
26-06-2004, 01:44 PM
the slower the better i say.. around 130 is great for me everything sounds nice and chunky at that speed..

Tyrisia
26-06-2004, 01:59 PM
During my dj days in Scotland, we ran a night called Indigo, and one of our first guests was Funk 'd Void. He started off with detroit-y stuff at about 130, to a crowd used to me bangin it out at 140+, and kept that pace all the way through. Intial reactions were a bit confused amongst the punters, but by the time he came to playing the likes of Spastik and Sectet Cinema about half way through, the crowd was goin mental.

I looked at the decks and the tracks were all being pitched down by at least -2, and everyone was having a ball. Since then I began to slow it down, and found that with the correct tunes, the crowd still appreciated the music, and I think it gives a more "mature" atmosphere to boot.

slavestudios
26-06-2004, 02:51 PM
theres a time & and a place for it all.

seen marco carolla last week & he didnt go above 135 but it was great. loads of space between the beats.

i love me bangin brainless techno (amok style) but ppl like Slobodan can keep it pumpin that bit slower. they keep the funk & have somewhere to go if need be.

a lil bit of everything is much healtheir than a shit load of one :lol:

Greg Dee
26-06-2004, 05:43 PM
i think its nice to try and keep the pitch as close to zero as possible...it conveys the true intention of the track's producer that way.

Buttman
27-06-2004, 03:51 AM
Well now that is a budget way of life! When you want to chill down just play your techno records at 33RPM! :lol:

TripleX
27-06-2004, 11:15 AM
i like it slow too

networkacid
27-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Just recently been playing a lot of old school sets... most of the rave techno from 91 - 93 is around 128 bpm... been playing at about 130... it's cool. better to dance to as well (unless ur speeding off ya tits!)

So yeah looking at incorporating a slower funkier style into my techno sets as well..

blipnbleep
30-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Well now that is a budget way of life! When you want to chill down just play your techno records at 33RPM! :lol:

actually, I've been calling that "slowtech". Gather up all your techno 45's and play them at 33. Sorta like slow, dubby techno.... :lol:

must admit, i never tried playing any Glen Wilson tracks like that.....

Kevin Gorman
30-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Most of the time I program my sets to increase with speed over time as the set builds up. I bring it past the 140 mark and then bring it back down below 140 again.

sash
30-06-2004, 10:31 AM
It also matters what speed the dj b4 you is playin. U don't wanna create a sudden shock on the dance floor.

GAMMA303
30-06-2004, 10:40 AM
its weird but i always seem to find myself right around 138. sometimes i have to make myself pitch it up during the more driving hours because i can tell the crowd wants it a bit faster then that but once i get going its no problem.

but 90% im right on the mark of 138. pretty strange. but don't usually play too much slower then the low 30's ever.

278d7e64a374de26f==