PDA

View Full Version : reason midi routing

mindgame
26-06-2004, 02:30 AM
i dont know if this is is normal or if there is something i am overlooking but i cant find the answer in teh help manual-

i can have what ever amount of equipment linked in reason but the final sound has to be plugged into midi channel 1..on the very top where you have the MIDI INPUT area, if i select a diff instrument from the drop down list on any other channel but 1 i cannot hear anything..

and on the very bottom with the sequencer i can only seem to select midi (that lil icon) for 1 track at a time..

is this normal??a generqal downside of reason??

are the other channels only meant to be used without outside progs such as CUBASE and what not..
otherwise it seems as if you have to do one track at a time, switching back and forth from track to track and sound to sound to record anything.

what i am looking to do is say link a drum machine and synth and effects or whatever and come up with a pattern for track one..and then do that with new sounds for the other tracks..but i should be able to hear all of them at the same time without have to record first ..

but anytime i want to hear a new sound i have to rewire which set up goes into midi channel 1..

if i am unclear im sorry..please point out what is not clear and ill try to reword..thnx

DJZeMig_L
26-06-2004, 10:11 AM
sorry if I am tottally off... it's 10 am and still no "beauty sleep"... :(

get all your instruments connected 2 a Mixer, each one on a diferent mixer channel.

press the Tab Key, now u see the back of the rack... u can now plug the mixer 2 yer soundcard's main outs (1+2). U can also plug a certain instrument directly 2 another set of outputs BUT u have 2 go into the preferences/ audio page 2 tell reason how many fisical outputs u want yer soundcard 2 use. After this all u need 2 do is plug'em .... mind u most soundcards will play what they received at channel 1+2... so 2 hear 3+4, 5+6 u'd need 2 have all yer outputs connected 2 a external mixer and then U'll b able to play/ hear them...

Don't forget the main outs are 1+2, so that's where most audio streams will play. the others are "AUXILIARY" outputs!

Hope this helps in anyway!

Z

DJZeMig_L
26-06-2004, 10:51 AM
As 2 the midi side of things...

Reason uses "midi" only internaly, meaning that u can't sequence external machines or other virtual instruments. So basically u are limited 2 receiving notes/ controllers from midi (keyboards/ knob boxes) gear 2 fuel reason's instruments...

U can canm never the less do is, use cubase then open reason as a rewire slave 2 cubase. have cubase 2 sequence any external or reason gear!

Z

mindgame
27-06-2004, 05:06 AM
where the part about assigning reason to my soundcards outputs was actually different from waht i was asking, the part about hooking everythign up to a diff channel on the mixer is prob what i am looking for..that way i can then hook the mixers main outs to reasons main outs..

so now i can hear everyhtign at the same time being all i need now is to have the faders i want to hear up.. (assuming this will work after i try it)

the problm i was having was if i want to run multiple set ups of reason gear all at the same time (each set up for a diff sound or part of the song ) i was only able to hear one at a time..
at the very top of reason you have the MIDI INPUT area that is always there..from channel one you select from teh drop down box what instrument/setup you want to hear..but the MIDI INPUT area has like 32 channels..but if i select anythign on any of the other MIDI INPUT channels i cannot hear what i selected..which seems kinda pointless having 31 other midi channels..

however i was aware that you can use CUBASE to trigger reason..i wasent sure if this is what the other 31 channels of the MIDI INPUT area was for.(to be connected to cubase or the likes..).

mindgame
27-06-2004, 07:28 AM
and just to correct myself..now that im in reason the MIDI IN DEVICE has 16 midi channels not 32 - i was mixing it up with the 64 audio out channels..way to go me :clap: :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==