PDA

View Full Version : Have ya or will been or be converted

Jutt
30-06-2004, 05:47 PM
To CD DJing

I realy can see me self doing it in 2005 and hiding away the decks.

At the mo as I make me own tunes and some times purchase MP3S of big names I can see the use of a CD deck more often.

Does anyone else feel they have or are being converted into cd mxing?

DJ SPUDIE
01-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Never tried it to be honest m8. Would nt mind giving it a bash though

EmotionComplex
01-07-2004, 02:35 AM
not converted but i intend to use cds in future sets along side the standard turntable, its all technology, you use what you feel does the job and a lot of the time a cd deck will open the oppurtunity to play upfront matieral and test out own productions that wouldnt be availibe before.

i intend to purchase a paid of the new technics cd turntables at the end of this year but im not scrapping vinyl, just adding to the possibilities in my sets :)

techno_smack
01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Nothing beats spinning two records !!!! :shock:

messyfuture
01-07-2004, 11:09 AM
i have had a pair of pioneer cdj 500's for nearly 8 years, and sold them a couple of years ago to get the cdj1000's

i have never used vinyl,

but i got to have a go on the new technics cd decks and i'm pretty sure they will convert alot of djs from vinyl

I still like my pioneers better though!!

networkacid
01-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I have used a CDJ or similar several times before when playing one of my own or a friend's tracks in a set. It's very easy to get the hang of and I could definitely look at incorporating it into my DJ gigs, if they were standard at all venues parties (which I'm sure they will be soon, most places have them now)

Yoshimitsu
01-07-2004, 01:34 PM
im gonna look into using em but ill never forget vinyl i hope

NooNoo
11-07-2004, 03:45 PM
I use Cd decks for about 25-40% of my set usually. I don't think i'll ever prefer em to good old vinyl, but, they're a must for playin unreleased/upfront/home made/rare and deleted stuff you couldn't get on vinyl ect ect.

romelpotter
11-07-2004, 08:34 PM
no no no no no no no no no no.......only to play my own stuff before a vinyl release

TripleX
12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
no way :nono:

slavestudios
15-07-2004, 12:15 AM
as a 3rd or 4th sound source, but they'll never replace vily for me. they dont even smell the same :lol:

DJ Corbzy
15-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Replace - Never.

Used as a tool alongside - Most definetely.

MARKEG
15-07-2004, 09:30 AM
i don't play cd's out at all. but only because i really can't be arsed to spend a week or so learning just how to us them properly. i got one of those cheaper cdj ones - the small pioneer silver ones - about 2 yrs ago and i really don't like using it. i just find it much more difficult to control the pitch ie because it's digital you have more precise pitch setting. and when you use the jog whell to nudge it in tempo, it jogs that little bit too much. perhaps it's time for me to invest in a better one.

also, if i put alot of my set on cd i'd constantly worry about whether or not the club had cd decks. i know all it would take would be a mention of it by chrissi when we do a dj booking but what about those randon free parties where all you have is a set of 1210's. you'd be screwed!

tbh i do so love vinyl, but that's one probably because i've spent the last god knows how many yrs mixing with vinyl. perhaps if i made the effort and gave cd's a real go it would make my life much easier.

piginabush
15-07-2004, 10:00 AM
had a go on my mates CD decks and found it really easy to mix :shock:

the only thing that puts me off is seeing the state of some of the CD setups in clubs, and the state that they are in..... battered, unloved sulking in the corner bits of kit :rambo:

However, if they had a pair of these.....

http://store5.yimg.com/I/djgear_1800_310287978

in every DJ booth I would definately give it a go :clap: :clap: :clap:

DJ Corbzy
15-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I'll try and make use of any CD facilities if a club has them, if not vinyl all the way...

Got to get my own CD player soon...

DJDion
16-07-2004, 02:18 PM
No, CD and MP3 mixings way too easy.
Seems like a cop out to mixing with vinyl. IMHO.

cascade
25-07-2004, 07:23 PM
i understand what you mean by using cds is easier.
ive just got a job at a local bar using old numark cdn22's in very bad condition. Although the play button is always delayed when you press it you can still convincingly mix with them for someting like a small club. not ideal for serious djing but great for small bars etc.

ive got a pioneer cdj-800 coming this week so i can get to grips with some serious cd mixing.
http://www.jvsl.de/djplanet/images/cdplayer/pioneer_cdj800_400x389.jpg
Fair enough i wont be totally converting to cd but will use it regularly along side vinyl, for a few reason's: concising my collection, playing my produced tracks/remixes, personally produced outros, intros effects etc.
i also see it as another fun way to mix and how to add more flavour to your sets, live remixs and loopings etc.

deffinatly a tool im getting into.

DJTrubass
25-07-2004, 08:19 PM
pritty expensive to buy one, i simply cnt afford to buy them + u cant get hold of the new tunes out on cd can you?

Hakka
25-07-2004, 08:41 PM
i don't play cd's out at all. but only because i really can't be arsed to spend a week or so learning just how to us them properly. i got one of those cheaper cdj ones - the small pioneer silver ones - about 2 yrs ago and i really don't like using it. i just find it much more difficult to control the pitch ie because it's digital you have more precise pitch setting. and when you use the jog whell to nudge it in tempo, it jogs that little bit too much. perhaps it's time for me to invest in a better one.

also, if i put alot of my set on cd i'd constantly worry about whether or not the club had cd decks. i know all it would take would be a mention of it by chrissi when we do a dj booking but what about those randon free parties where all you have is a set of 1210's. you'd be screwed!

tbh i do so love vinyl, but that's one probably because i've spent the last god knows how many yrs mixing with vinyl. perhaps if i made the effort and gave cd's a real go it would make my life much easier.

When watching M-Zone's set early this year at the Grove, about 75% of his set was on cd man.

Hakka
25-07-2004, 08:43 PM
I personally dislike the CD mixing idea. Vinyl requires more skill in my opinion and keeps record companies earning money. I can get any track (even pre-release some times) on MP3 easy. I only download MP3 so I know what a track sounds like start to finish so I can then go and buy it on vinyl.

I love the idea of playing my own productions via mp3/cd, as that means I would be able to play a very original set. I don't like the idea of playing other peoples music via MP3 as it seems so wrong.

I would only want to play out something I've bought or created my self...

Jutt
29-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Can ya see labels offering it as an alternative?

Reason I ask....

At the mo, my DJ set up cosist of one Gemini XL500 ( :oops: it mixes fine and I can use it :lol: ;) )and a CDJ100.

This is due to the other Gemini deck buggering up.

This is getting rather annoying when buying vinyl as I never get to mix it straight away I have to burn half it not all and lose the sound quality through the conversion.

At the mo IMO offer a download which is ideal for it as ya can buy half ya tune selection in vinyl and then download the other in MP3 hence saing alot of time.

Can you see places like German Trance or anthing like that offering mp3 download?

cascade
30-10-2004, 04:55 PM
it would be a good idea to be able to pay for new tunes online then download them instantly, you dont have to wait for delievery then, but mp3 isnt a great sound format and waves are too big.

i only use cd decks on my weekly spot but thats cause the music i play (commercial crap :doh: ) is mainly on cd and doesnt really get released on vinyl. so cd decks are ideal. no one in the bar wher i work uses the technics, the bar itself has 6 technics 1210's and all 10 or so of the djs who work there bring there own pioneers and never touch the vinyl.

as far as using it with trance im all for it, i can get some of the commercial trance tracks that i play like PVD & tiesto on cd, with all the mixes instead of them being spread over 2 vinyls,

anyone seen the maxi cds? the dance tracks that should be on vinyl but with all the remixes on one cd and for the price of the vinyl.

these maxi cds are becoming more common in the commercial trance and dance scene but i dont think scot project and uberdruck will be released on cds aswell as vinyl for a long time.

ive bee recently ripping alot of my best vinyl and trying to get a collection of trance on my hard drive that i would have on vinyl so i can incorporate the advanced features of my cd player into my set.

so in conclusion im all for cd/vinyl emulation and will be using it along side vinyl (not replacing it) until the next digital revolution happens.
:clap:

S/E
04-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I will not fully convert, but I have implemented use of CD players into my sets to play tracks of my own or that my friends have made. Vinyl is still tops for me however! There is something much more aesthetically pleasing about playing records.

fatcollective
09-11-2004, 06:35 PM
playing records is as original as it comes ....2 dex and a mixer....not really into CD decks or final scratch although FS is made to use with decks, i just think its killing the record (underground) business and its not fair. DECKS N RECORDS ALL THE WAY! ;)

Scott Kemix
09-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I think they r good for playin out a few unreleased tracks, as an option, but they will never ever be able to replace the original vibe! **** cd mixin :nono:

Luke Revival
17-11-2004, 12:13 AM
I must admit I use CDs alot!

Mark, get a CDJ 800. Far superior to the CDJ100s which you have and easy to carry about!

Rydel
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I thought I'd never do it, but did anyway... Been playing lot's and lot's of house recently, and altho we bought FS at the studio, I'm not using it for every gig. I've got looooooot's of stuff on CD's lately, so when I play house, I do play quite some tracks from CD. But when playing techno, there's nothing like 3 technics beneith my fingers, with or without FS.

Traxx
04-01-2005, 12:37 PM
How much you pay for your cdj 800 cascade?

oldbugger
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
i have had cdj500's in my set up now for over 5 years, i wouldnt say its easier at all to be honest (maybe the newer ones are) to me they are a great addition to any set up, but its always to run alongside turntables
at the end of the day, who cares how the sound is processed, its what comes out of the speakers that matters, i'm just more comfortable with vinyl though.

icb
06-03-2005, 12:32 PM
I prefer vinyl, there is a much better feel to it........ better sound, and top class production like techno is suppose to be played on vinyl.....if I played trance or even house, i would definately use cds......

cascade
09-03-2005, 07:51 PM
How much you pay for your cdj 800 cascade?
ive got 2 now, lol, sorry for the late reply only just seen it.
got one locally for 475, rip off.
hahah
and got the other form
www.djstore.co.uk
450 with a free pioneer cd wallet.
get em while ya can
;)

278d7e64a374de26f==