PDA

View Full Version : who cares about where your music reachs?

djlukas
30-06-2004, 08:24 PM
hi...

i posted this in another msg board becose i want peoples opinio about this!

leaving in brazil is very hard for djs... couple of srtists like glenn wilson, henry, wittekind, dsp where here and they saw ouer record shops... its all old shit and the new stuff that come here are usually the most comercial techno in the market...

the thing is...

who from you guys really care about it?

i have talket to some producers/label owners and some of then really worry and try to make their records start reaching here but others dont give a ****...

everyone knows that brazil is very good for techno... hard techno is played almost all over the country and in many amazing parties so there are many guys wanting to come and play in brazil... i have told many guys that the most easy way to come over is having a big mane on world techno scene becose the big party promoters here think like in most of the world... bring big names for big parties... not the best but we can understand why its like this...

getting your records to be played by the main artists here ore in any country will make your name bigger... your names will be in charts from important local artists and the techno freks will start asking whose track was that the local dj played... you guys know the drill... i dont have to explain it all...

sooo... the question again... if you guys want to reach new places i think the best way is making your music reach this place... then you get to go there dont you think?
dont you guys care that there are people trying to play your music and cant find it to buy?

well... lets see what people will answer here... i have talked to a few people about it but its allways nice to get new opinions and points of view!

respect from brazil

Lukas

Dustin Zahn
30-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I think this is a problem of the distributors and record shops moreso than the labels.

jake
30-06-2004, 10:16 PM
make ur own records make ur own sound and make ur own following.

basslinejunkie
30-06-2004, 10:19 PM

if only it was that simple :roll: ;)

Evil G
30-06-2004, 10:46 PM
when shopping tunes to labels, is it fair play to want to know who their distributors are? i know that it's difficult for new lables to get worldwide distribution - there are just too many labels for the distributors to carry them all.

Dustin Zahn
30-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Brazil faces similar problems the states do really. There are so few shops that pick up smaller distributors that it is ridiculous. The very few shops in the U.S. that get their hands on anything Jaxx or Pure Plastic related (for example) are snatched up right away. I've been begging the shop here to buy into smaller distributors but they're being pussies about it. Record buying in the U.S. is a ****in' joke as well. While sometimes it's the fault of the label for not getting itself out there, the distributor plays a very big part of the problem as well.

I think distributors need to drop about half their roster and focus on pushing their roster harder to more shops and people around the world. The reason the numbers are horrible is because you can't get half the shit except for in select areas.

davethedrummer
30-06-2004, 11:14 PM
well to be honest, the problem lies within the economy of brasil
not with the record labels or distrinutors in europe.
there is a very high import tax on all records from outside brasil ,this is something that means record shop owners will only buy what they know will sell , so they are much less likely to take a chance on more underground styles of music and unknown labels etc.
(this tax comes from the old days of rock and roll and hence brasil used to manufacture their own records which made imports expensive guaranteeing that the average punter would by brasilian product. obviously this is a situation that has changed enormously , punters have changed and so have their demands)
also i found many of the staff in brasils record shops to be largely unknowledgable of who is really doing it in the music scene right now , they tended to have a knowledge of more commercial things.
also ordering from the internet is costly as you run into this import taxation problem again , and sometimes your records don't even get into the country, they just dissappear.
brasil still has a third world economy regardless of what you've heard in respect of parties etc and there is some serious corruption and red tape going on there.
we exist outside of that most of the time , but if you ever get caught up in it you'll see how unjust and frustrating it is.

i can see your point lukas i really can but it's not the labels or artists at fault
what needs to happen is this ridiculous tax needs to be lifted to make it feasable for the record shops to start trading like the rest of the world also the government need to realise how much revenue could be genarated from this happening (money for their pockets but at least we get some new tunes!!!)
i know nils from eukatech is trying to start a brasilian shop so that's a start.
but if i were you.
get the brasilian people together on the internet along with as many labels artists and distributors worldwide as you can, and petition the government about the import taxes , bring the prices down or better still have it abolished and then you can enter the real world of fair trade.

that's about all i can suggest.
i'm really sorry but i've been over this so many times before and so far no solution has come.
it could even be worth clubbing together buying a plane ticket and sending someone over to the uk or germany just to buy records.
it's not so crazy , the guys in caracas use to go to new york regularly.

anyway there's no answer to your question except for

yes we care!!!!!

but no there's not a lot we can do!!!

:cry:

The Overfiend
01-07-2004, 02:42 AM

Son you're in La, and from what I hear you guys are the scene out there.
I'm on the east coast and it's hard enough to get a party going without having people turn into high school snobs. Brazil is a lil bit low on the funds and I can see where Lukas's concern is coming from. But I can also see the distributors concern of the fact that out of this huge continent of south america they would really be selling records to maybe 10 people the most.

DROID
01-07-2004, 01:07 PM
damn techno is alot ****in work to produce,support, sell, and throw parties for....i need a new gig :P

djlukas
02-07-2004, 01:33 AM
i think henry is becoming a brazilian over the years...

waw man... you know the country almost better tahn me... you said it all...

i see that its no falt of producers ore labels... i have tryed a couple of things that you guys sugested and they did not work but other things i did not try yet so i guess the best to do is just go after a solution!

you guys shure helped...

Lukas

dbit
02-07-2004, 07:28 AM
god!!! Hey, do you know who DOT is? The same issues, the tax issues.

And DROID, goddamn I ****in feel you. I've never seen such a cause with so many starving artists loving to starve and go into debt, and create new identities to avoid debts, and move around, and eat cheese sandwhiches, and some fly around and look cool and people think they drink kristal, and they go home, and eat cheese sandwhiches, and, yeah, they eat more cheese sandwhiches, and get fat sitting in the studio, and then, well, eat more cheese sandwhiches.. anyone got any cheese? I'm ****ing hungry!!

:eh:

Ritzi Lee
02-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Like Dustin told:
USA distributions don't buy EU stuff.
It's too expensive. (Euro / Dollar rate)

tekku7181
02-07-2004, 09:16 PM
i agree w/dustin's post --- and its so annoying not being able to get 90% of the records i want in any nyc shop --- sonic groove does the best at bringing in the more obscure less popular quality stuff but its not a hard techno orientated shop and vinyl market gets a lot of good hard techno but not from the smaller labels...

i need to move to europe and starve over there i think

Rog
03-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Ritzi Lee,

thats bullsh*t mate - you just havent looked into it enougth. I know a company US based (east coast) that imports direct from most of europe!!!

I bought tons of uk stuff in the us at a cheaper rate (but it was distribution rate)

As for Brazil - if you send parcels un"marked" with no shop detail and invoice - you pay lower tax, thats what i will be doing at some point for grooverzm because I CARE MATE :clap:

Dustin Zahn
03-07-2004, 01:23 AM
I know of a shop that already does that here in the states. If you want records without the taxes PM me, but I won't put the company in jeopardy by posting it in public.

And Rog, I think the records Ritzi Lee and I are speaking about are much different than what you're speaking of. I know for a fact that they barely come into the states because the distributors will admit it themselves, and they want to fix it.

jonnyspeed
03-07-2004, 01:48 PM

:clap: The london scene is run by a bunch of guys who said this is london techno and set up a record plant. SP Groove is somewhere there on the same model - but yup I agree = when the Brazilian scene grows and franking stops just sounding like latin versions of european tracks its unlikely to attract the attention of exporters.

jonnyspeed
03-07-2004, 01:48 PM

:clap: The london scene is run by a bunch of guys who said this is london techno and set up a record plant. SP Groove is somewhere there on the same model - but yup I agree = when the Brazilian scene grows and franking stops just sounding like latin versions of european tracks its unlikely to attract the attention of exporters.

jonnyspeed
03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
and you forgot to say about the high import tax in Brazil - maybe something to do with it???

djvartan
05-07-2004, 12:57 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rog
05-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Dustin Zahn, give me an example and I'll tell you what they had.. imported! and ready to distribute!

from...

getafix/dirtybass/all suf collective stuff/planet rythem/combat skillz & various hard german techno labels/havock etc.. i'm not arguing with you dude! but its all there!!

pm me if you want the companys name..

Dustin Zahn
05-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm speaking of a lot of stuff similar to Jaxx distribution and Pure Plastic distribution's catalogs. If they carry that stuff on a regular basis I'd be a fan.

Joseph Isaac
05-07-2004, 09:44 PM
I think distributors need to drop about half their roster and focus on pushing their roster harder to more shops and people around the world. The reason the numbers are horrible is because you can't get half the shit except for in select areas.

Well put.

DJPAUZE
06-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Sup lukas my man! I read the posts here and like you said Henry said it all down to the point. In my opinion to strive there you gotta buy online. Its the only way to survive. Thats what i was doing down there and thats what you will have to continue doing because Techno Records just won't cut it for ya.

Good Luck
Take Care
Frankie Pauze :twisted:

PS: Lukas you ****in rock brotha, u can do shit with old records on three decks like no one else can. So keep your head up your time is coming!

DJVirulent
06-07-2004, 10:47 AM
One thing that sort of peeves me off right now about US techno buyers in general is the fact that, despite rising costs, most shops still view domestic labels (and especially labels cut here) as "inferior". Unless it's shipped over and pressed/mastered/distributed in Europe, most people will not buy it...period. Even worse, those well-meaning souls here who DO ship their own labels across the pond for mastering/distribution can expect numerous problems (such as massive delays) simply due to the trans-Atlantic nature of the relationship. Two of the tracks I've had released on European-distributed US labels this year were both almost two years old by the time they were released!

I can understand there was a time when this was a logical argument, as for a few extra dollars you got a record that just sounded so much better...but times have changed. Right now Rhythmic is distributing a whole mess of quality labels such as Infrastructure, Pacific Technics, Azure, Enemy and (BSP alert) Beretta Music to name a few, and the mastering and cutting on most if not all of these labels is done by Tim Xavier who is by far one of the most naturally-talented pair of ears for that sort of thing. I think that US techno buyers need to give the hard-working artists and label owners in their own country a fair shake for once, and think twice before buying up everything coming out of ELP Medien while eschewing such domestic distributors.

As far as buying online, I agree. I live in a college town where the local record shop hasn't a clue about what real techno is, and as such their bins are full of the newest trance/DnB with the occasional year-old techno record from some bigger label. Therefore, if I want to stay current it's either I order online or go shopping in Chicago/Detroit...and even then I rarely find what I really want with the latter option. It's a necessary evil, I suppose.

Dustin Zahn
06-07-2004, 06:36 PM
At the same time, while it's quite arguable...there was a whole lot of crap coming out of the U.S. for quite a while as well. Things are getting a lot better and there is a lot of cool labels popping up, but for a while there were only a couple non-ur/detroit related labels that carried the same quality rate as the european labels imo. Now that computer production is becoming the norm, we're starting to see solid producers popping up all over and I think the stereotyping on record orders is slowly begining to fade to black.

jake
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
http://users.rcn.com/peter-kelly/electro.jpg
ur music needs to reach the streets!!!!!

ANDROID
07-07-2004, 04:58 AM
I'm with Dave the Drummer!!!!Lukas give me your adress i will mail you few promos and if i would live in Brasil i would use "FINAL SCRATCH" download for free play all brand new music all night + your own.

Fabrizio
07-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Android, the matter is that some people dont see final scratch with very good eyes here, they kinda have a predigism against it bcs you´re not buying and paying for the records.

Fabrizio
07-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Also forgot to mention that is kinda hard to get the all the latest and the not so popular tracks on the internet....

There was a campaign here called "Pro-Vinyl" wich had as a goal to end with the Vinyl import tax so they distributed some info, made a website and bottoms but that was all, they were supposed to make a document and deliver it to the government but they actually never did.... Very sad :cry:

278d7e64a374de26f==