PDA

View Full Version : mac software and VST's

anx
01-07-2004, 03:32 AM
im really leaning towards buying a mac, for work and production, been doin graphic desing on one for a few years now, and i love them....its going to cost me a bunch, so i dont have alot of money to spend on software (i have some tho)

i want to get cubase up on it...i cant afford to buy it tho, is it next to impossible to find that software for mac?? also, if i do find it, are all the vst plugins multiplatform, ie: i can use any plugin on mac as i would a pc

if they arent, does anyone know where i can download vst plugins for macs??

and what are the wav editing programs like?

i still might just go and get a real nice PC, just for cost factor (i use a mac at my parents home, and have access to all the software)...im really torn here

sorry to bring up such an over done subject...but im really having a tough time deciding what to get here....

anx
01-07-2004, 03:40 AM
also i forgot to mention

its going to be a laptop

are there any producers that produce or have produced with just a laptop? what programs did you use?

so far im just going for a laptop and the m-audio ozone midi controller, because i am going to be traveling soon and want to have a portable kit to **** around with.

thanks

professor
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
mac and logic.
OSX uses plug-ins in Audio Unit format. Not vst. You can buy a program that will convert vst to AU.
I have had no problem finding music software for mac and OSX (except of course if you want fruity or sound forge)...
hope this helps...
I use a G4 powerbook (867mhz, 768mgRAM, it screems) with Logic6pro, reason, and recycle. I have reaktor4, but I've had a shit hard time using it with Logic because it's a CPU monster, and it dosen't always play the notes you program!
mac is expensive, but wicked fast and stable for music production.
cheers

Basil Rush
01-07-2004, 04:50 PM
My Mac's lovely. But I've got a PC as well which I occasionally run synths and samplers on, mostly 'cause protools doesn't support other plugin formats very well.

www.osxaudio.com is a good place to visit.

As far as finding software goes it's definitely possible, just a bit more effort.

Don't think I'd want to be without a cheap PC as well though sometimes ...

StoQ
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
My Mac's lovely. But I've got a PC as well which I occasionally run synths and samplers on, mostly 'cause protools doesn't support other plugin formats very well.

www.osxaudio.com is a good place to visit.

As far as finding software goes it's definitely possible, just a bit more effort.

Don't think I'd want to be without a cheap PC as well though sometimes ...

dude if u have 2 comps you have to vst system link .. them ihhihi it rocks

278d7e64a374de26f==