PDA

View Full Version : Beefing up DJ Mixes

steelgrooves
02-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Whats the best way to maximize the volume in a dj mix using sound forge?

Have a couple of nice live mixes and i want to beef them up. There is no saturation or distortion in the audio so any suggestions?

DJZeMig_L
02-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I use the powercore's master x3...

otherwise a tinny bit of antares tube and then waves C4 followed bit a slight touch of ultramaximizer..

Z

steelgrooves
02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
so do you aplly that over the entire wave. or just on sections that need it.

Kevin Gorman
02-07-2004, 08:16 PM
try putting it all over it!! see what happens, if you don't like the results there is always undo ;)

DJZeMig_L
02-07-2004, 08:22 PM
u can do small 1-1,5 db increments or decreases on areas that are really low or loud... but if u keep yer levels under control while mixing u shouldn't really need 2!

Z

tekara
03-07-2004, 06:53 AM
I use the powercore's master x3...

otherwise a tinny bit of antares tube and then waves C4 followed bit a slight touch of ultramaximizer..

Z

interesting advice Z, quick question: i tried adding Antares Tube effect to the set in soundforge but i think Sonic Foundry products only support DX plugin support and not VST right? Cause the last time i checked my antares installer it came in VST format :(

thanks

DJZeMig_L
03-07-2004, 11:09 AM
probably, but I would think there is also a dx version... not really sure sorry!? :(

Z

steelgrooves
03-07-2004, 04:27 PM
probably, but I would think there is also a dx version... not really sure sorry!? :(

Z

There is

180mph
03-07-2004, 05:15 PM
interesting advice Z, quick question: i tried adding Antares Tube effect to the set in soundforge but i think Sonic Foundry products only support DX plugin support and not VST right? Cause the last time i checked my antares installer it came in VST format :(

thanks[/quote]

but there is a handy little thing you can get called a "vst convertor". it converts vst to dx(or at least pretends to!, but either way it works). dont know who makes it or where to get it... i got mine years ago, but if you send me your mail address to baz180mph@warpmail.net i will gladly send it on.

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 03:14 PM
You could try a compressor with lookahead and a ratio of about 3:1 low threshold (compressor practically always doing something), long release (1000-10000ms) fast attack (0.2ms), try waves C1 ... should keep it all up front. Otherwise you could always load the thing into a sequencer type program and draw in volume changes where needed.

Wack the thing through a touch of L1 ultramaximiser afterwards but don't over do it or it'll sound horrid! Remember (as bob katz would say) that you aren't trying to make the hottest CD ever, people have volume controls and can just turn the thing up if they want! But making the levels so it never feels like it goes quiet on you is probably important ... manual tweaking would probably give the best final result.

You could do C1 in addition to what MigL's talkin' about up there. I'd do any manual level riding and/or the C1 trick first before the other processes.

278d7e64a374de26f==