PDA

View Full Version : Good Production?

jesus
03-07-2004, 02:47 PM
hello . im new to this music making malarky, so im just wondering what good production is :doh: . ive seen people slating others for being bad, so what is bad and how would you make it good?
if anyone could post examples of a really well produced track and a shitly produced one, and why they are such, that would be mint. any tips on what to look for production wise also, that i can add to me own shit. cheers

DJZeMig_L
03-07-2004, 03:56 PM
uhhhh sh*t is going 2 hit the fan with this 1 lol

Okie... my 2 cents...

Somethin that has personality, originality, doesn't sound like some other very well known producer... Plays very loud without distorting or blowing stuff up (xcept 4 peoples minds) and u can still hear all the fine details!

Z

180mph
03-07-2004, 04:03 PM
uhhhh sh*t is going 2 hit the fan with this 1 lol

Okie... my 2 cents...

Somethin that has personality, originality, doesn't sound like some other very well known producer... Plays very loud without distorting or blowing stuff up (xcept 4 peoples minds) and u can still hear all the fine details!

Z

VERY WELL PUT!!!
unless the production is REALLY bad and lacks any personality people will(should) appreciate it.. everybodies ideas on production seem to differ and differant production styles create differant sounding techno(which is always a good thing)! so unless you're (over)producing "bon-jovi" a little bit of time spent listening to what you are doing should give you good/reasonable production.... (then leave it to some genius to master!!! ... ah mastering, the last of the great black arts!)

techno_smack
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Good production, doesnt always mean good music. Theres lots of well produced tracks out there that desite being all crispy a clean, are still a load of shit. I say just do what sounds right. :eh:

jesus
03-07-2004, 11:38 PM
nice one lads. now ive just got to try and make my stuff like that. could take a while :roll: . out of interest how long did it take everyone to get to a good level of production, and , is it mainly training your ears or just learning the tricks of the trade. coz i can make, say a loop ,but am just not sure whats making it sound wrong. ill post some examples soon.

StoQ
04-07-2004, 12:13 PM
well, EXPERIMENT - is the best way of making interesting tracks,IMO, cuz when u experiment you find out the new creativ ideas, sounds, patterns.
...only my advice, but as it was said you have to know when the track sounds good, if it lacks something... etc.

eyes without a face
05-07-2004, 01:00 AM
its a tough cookie to crack indeed, just take a listen to the tracks and artists that influence u and see whats going on in their tracks, try and learn from them and see what u can apply to ur own stuff.

there is a certain level of professional production that a track needs in order to sound good when pressed/released, but i find generally whatever sounds right to u (and others!) tends to be more often than not correct!

stick at it, and check around in this forum in particular, there must be hundreds and hundreds of extremely useful and at times probably neccessary topics on here now!

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
bad production is the thing that makes a good idea less enjoyable than a half arsed idea produced well...

dirty_bass
05-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Techno has become production over content these days.

Make a good tune first and then produce it well.

Remebember, you can`t polish a turd.

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 04:47 PM
unless you have a turd polisher :)

dirty_bass
05-07-2004, 05:35 PM
all a turd polisher does, is fling shit everywhere. So we all end up covered in it.

dirty_bass
05-07-2004, 05:35 PM
some people say that primate became a turd polisher :roll:

Jimfish
05-07-2004, 09:17 PM

i disagree, production standards in techno are awwwwwwful

Jimfish
05-07-2004, 09:18 PM
bad production is the thing that makes a good idea less enjoyable than a half arsed idea produced well...

exactly

Evil G
05-07-2004, 10:53 PM

i disagree, production standards in techno are awwwwwwful

i think this whole idea of standards and peeps trying to simultaneously sound alike and different is weird. if somebody wrote a techno track, but produced it to sound as clear and transparent as psy-trance, would techno fans like it? or would they throw it back on the pile in search of something that sounds filthier?

i expect it would be rejected, because if it doesn't sound "the same" as other records in the genre it would be no good for mixing.

dirty_bass
06-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, personally, the amount of records I buy has fallen loads.
Because of one reason.

Crap tunes, that have been overproduced.

Shit with money thrown at it.

I`ve got plenty of wicked tracks, where the production is good but could be better, and I cane them on the decks. And people rock out to em.
All the boring, simple repetative, but well produced cack, just doesn`t rock the crowd. nor will it be remembered

eyes without a face
06-07-2004, 12:28 AM
its certainly a strange one!

i think with some producers, and i include myself here, they are trying to find a balance between good production and a raw but "fresh" sound if you know what i mean? i think it stems back to early techno, really american stuff if you will were some of the production maybe wasnt the best due to the technology back then (computers can do anything these days remember!), but the feel and energy of the track was just mindblowing at times! examples include producers like Robert Armani spring to mind and early records on labels like Djax etc etc

i for one really do try to get the best produced sound i can, but if leaving something out of the production process means that my track is gonna have more energy and a better feel then id do it, but on the downside it may mean that technically, the track just doesnt fit somewhere along the line etc

tis a tricky one indeed

wikid topic by the way!!!

Evil G
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Well, personally, the amount of records I buy has fallen loads.
Because of one reason.

Crap tunes, that have been overproduced.

Shit with money thrown at it.

I`ve got plenty of wicked tracks, where the production is good but could be better, and I cane them on the decks. And people rock out to em.
All the boring, simple repetative, but well produced cack, just doesn`t rock the crowd. nor will it be remembered

this is the reason i quit buying breakbeat.

the first generation of nu skool breaks raised the bar in a good way. the breaks records coming out in 99 and 2000 sounded a lot better than the previous stuff, and were also original and good, and i was able to be able to whip the floor into an absolute frenzy. but by 2002, what i call the second generation of nu skool was hitting, and it all sounded the same. every single record had the biggest baddest bass you could imagine, and all of a sudden it meant nothing. there were no more killer tracks to drop. they all sounded equally good, but equally uninspired. it got boring and overdone in a hurry.

now that i'm out of breaks altogether, they seem to be more popular than ever, but as far as i can tell, they are still polishing the same shit.

Basil Rush
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Good production doesn't mean not raw as anything. If it's intended to be raw and it sounds good on a rig then it's approprate and good production surely?

dirty_bass
06-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Obviously good production is important.
But there are too many untalented studio engineers making techno.
They know the technical aspect, but they just make uninspired cack.
A good tune is a good tune.

FILTERZ
06-07-2004, 10:06 AM

Make a good tune first and then produce it well.

Remebember, you can`t polish a turd.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

right on the money

eyes without a face
06-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Baz thats what one of the points i was trying to make haha

and Dirty's right, there are far too many people releasing techno these days who technically might have it nailed, but idea's wise damnnn they shud of just stayed in bed! And as for producers who have their stuff ghost-written for them... well dont get me started on those!!!!

StoQ
06-07-2004, 12:48 PM
hmm, the best idea i think is to post your tracks on BOA and people will say if its crap or something interesting...

278d7e64a374de26f==