PDA

View Full Version : Hoovers on Juno

Jutt
03-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Whilst getting a few good sounds on me Juno ( nothing major though) I still cant get a hoover sound

Any one point me in the right direction of getting a savage hoover?

mux
03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Depends on the Juno. :)

Which Juno are you using? With an Alpha Juno-1 or Juno-2, one big secret is the "Joey Beltram Trick"; use the "chord memory" feature and map five octaves of C to a chord - then every time you hit a note, you've got five octaves of that note. :)

Evil G
03-07-2004, 07:35 PM
on a juno 106, use a square wave, turn on the chorus, a wee bit of portamento, and fiddle with pulse width.

acidchild
03-07-2004, 10:09 PM
It's the preset called "What The?" on the Juno-1/2. You;ll have to edit to though, as the EG Attack is set a bit high.

StoQ
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
hmmm interesting but, sorry what do yaa mean hoover sounds? can U post a sample of this sound? I really want to improve my english in techy-talk on forum :D

Jutt
04-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Ya like the typical old skool hoover

"whoooooooooooooooooooooooooomph" ;)

Evil G
04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
a hoover is a big thick sound, sortof like a siren, but deeper, with less pitch bend. used a lot in old school hardcore, as well as older acid techno and acid trance. not used much anymore, except in hard house.

acidchild
04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Think Dominator, Prodigy's Charlie, and alot of the old Belgian Techno from the early '90s.

Evil G
04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Think Dominator, Prodigy's Charlie, and alot of the old Belgian Techno from the early '90s.

yup, the hoover in "The Dominator" is classic.

Barely Human
04-07-2004, 07:39 PM
hmmm interesting but, sorry what do yaa mean hoover sounds? can U post a sample of this sound? I really want to improve my english in techy-talk on forum :D

These are 2 pretty standard "hoover" sounds -

www.the-iq.net/audio/hoover1.wav

www.the-iq.net/audio/hoover2.wav

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 03:07 PM
I created one on a Trinity once when someone left one in the studio for a few weeks, sounded the same more or less as the J Edgar patch on the Alpha 2 we had once. Used a Pulse/Square wave with LFO'd PWM and an envelope on the pitch, fastish attack slower release, sustain at maximum.

Came out like the hoover 2 patch in the link IQ kindly gave. Imagine you could get link 1 by changing the pitch envelope. You may need extra oscillators or chorus (as above) to make it fat enough for you.

Not sure if there's anyway of getting the Juno 106 to modulate the pitch with the filter envelope so it may depend on what Juno you have...

Evil G
05-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Not sure if there's anyway of getting the Juno 106 to modulate the pitch with the filter envelope so it may depend on what Juno you have...

there isn't an automatic way, but the stick can modulate both the pitch and the lfo, so with some manual playing it can be done.

StoQ
06-07-2004, 12:59 PM
thx all of you guys, especially IQ for the links. Now i know what the hoover is. Every day i learn something [from boa of cuz]...

Jutt
06-07-2004, 06:41 PM
This is the sort of sounds im after

I have some think something similar.

Parameters :lol:

AcidMutant
10-09-2004, 11:46 AM
I spent years messing with my Alpha Juno but couldn't create that sound till the other week - I found some parameter settings on the net. I don't have em with me but here's the rough guide...

Set the wave forms to PWM Square (3 I think) and PWM Saw (also 3 I think) and the Sub on (3 I think - don't think this is PWM editable), noise off.

Then set the PWM rate to about 100, same for chorus. I think you need set the PW/PWM rate quite high (100-127).

Set the LPF filter to off (cutoff 127, resonance 0, env 0) and HPF to off.

Set the VCA envelope to gate (GT).

Now here's the real trick to making it 'hoover'...

It's all to do with the envelope affecting the pitch. Set the DCO Env Amt to 64 and type to standard "|\-\" or "D|\-\" (so you can affect the amount via the velocity).

Now setup the envelope - it should be a fast attack (0-48) to full (127). Then an initial fast decay (roughly 50) to 1/2 way (64) then a slower decay (60ish) to closed sustain (0 - the actual note pitch) and zero release time.

Hope this helps! ;)

Jutt
10-09-2004, 04:37 PM
cheers m8 Ill give it a whirl!! :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==