PDA

View Full Version : What is Techno ?

G-whizz
05-07-2004, 11:03 AM
After reading plenty of threads about weather particular tunes are techno or not .
I just want to know what is techno to you ?

death on a stick
05-07-2004, 11:28 AM
OK.

Paul Zykotik
05-07-2004, 11:36 AM
I don't really have a set definition. If I like a tune and it fits in to a set with other tunes I like then I'll play it. It doesn't always have to be groundbreaking, it doesn't always have to be underground, it doesn't always have to fit in with what the accepted template of techno is - all it has to do is sound good ;)

G-whizz
05-07-2004, 11:37 AM
OK.

ok as an example in the one night in hackney thread you got some people who wouldn`t class that as a techno tune . As there seems to be plenty of people who wouldn`t class a lot of london stuff as techno.
so what does make a techno tune or what is it about acid techno that makes iot not techno .....

G-whizz
05-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't really have a set definition. If I like a tune and it fits in to a set with other tunes I like then I'll play it. It doesn't always have to be groundbreaking, it doesn't always have to be underground, it doesn't always have to fit in with what the accepted template of techno is - all it has to do is sound good ;)

thank you :)
thats a bit more like it !

gumpy green
05-07-2004, 11:44 AM
After reading plenty of threads about weather particular tunes are techno or not .
I just want to know what is techno to you ?

music made with the use of technology as oppossed to conventional instruments.

Tiptoe
05-07-2004, 12:53 PM
hell what is techno! Its too harder thing to categorise on a chat forum because there are so many forms of it. You can have shit like dj amok plays that are some people's idea of what techno is and then you can have people wh like marco bhailey who play lighter stuff but its still techno its just too broader genre to go through everything classed as techno.

Evil G
05-07-2004, 04:47 PM
it's common for techno to have a negative defn. ie, we don't say what it is, we say what it isn't. if you hear a track with a 4/4 kick and it isn't house or trance, it's probably techno.

some people would say that acid techno is actually trance, due to the synthy melodies and build ups. doesn't mean you have to like it any less though.

basslinejunkie
05-07-2004, 05:06 PM
hell what is techno! Its too harder thing to categorise on a chat forum because there are so many forms of it. You can have shit like dj amok plays that are some people's idea of what techno is and then you can have people wh like marco bhailey who play lighter stuff but its still techno its just too broader genre to go through everything classed as techno.

exactly my view also.

jonnyspeed
05-07-2004, 05:09 PM
well it ain't hard house or trance. so no shit rolling snares before the kick off or woop woop sounds for gay blokes to er... dance to. yes dance.

dirty_bass
05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
hmmm
interesting question
very subjective, the only answers that you will get will be based on personal opinions.

And maybe that is it.
Techno is forward thinking electronic music, that is so braod in scope, it can be defined to fit you and your personal tastes.

Not many forms of dance music, cover such a broad range of emotions and styles.

MangaFish
05-07-2004, 07:19 PM
hmmm
interesting question
very subjective, the only answers that you will get will be based on personal opinions.

And maybe that is it.
Techno is forward thinking electronic music, that is so braod in scope, it can be defined to fit you and your personal tastes.

Not many forms of dance music, cover such a broad range of emotions and styles.

this i agree with.

i would also say, techno to me is music thats interesting and flows with or w/o the beat. its all to do with interesting rhythems etc. theres alot of tunes i wouldnt really call techno but they arnt hardhouse/trance/etc. i just call these 'techy'. cant be arsed to slot everything into a name bracket

_kynd_
05-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Techno is a feeling......

You know IT when you feel IT!

azerom04
06-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Techno is the B*ast*rd love child between disco and 80's synth pop.

Its not what you think it is, it sounds different to what you thought it was and if you don't feel it you will never understand it. :love: :love: :love:

AcidBastard
06-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I agree with dirty_bass that techno is a personal opinion and prefrence.
For me, Techno is something that's tough, agressive but overall has a really nice groove to it.

dan the acid man
06-07-2004, 12:19 AM
for me, its music with a groove, a soul and a bit of dirt.

djvartan
06-07-2004, 04:56 AM
techno= my fav. music

:crackup: :cool: :love: :eh: :clap: :doh: :twisted: :rambo: :evil: :shock:

MangaFish
06-07-2004, 08:34 PM
I agree with dirty_bass that techno is a personal opinion and prefrence.
For me, Techno is something that's tough, agressive but overall has a really nice groove to it.

personally i find techno to be the only genre that can be tough and intensive w/o being agressive

Miromiric
06-07-2004, 08:38 PM
techno is when i get down with my mates on the floor with few pills in our pocket and when bassline overwhelm us and we all start dancing and then my friend comes and say "what a beautiful song!" and then we dance all night long in deep, deep extacy.

The Divide
06-07-2004, 08:41 PM
techno is when i get down with my mates on the floor with few pills in our pocket and when bassline overwhelm us and we all start dancing and then my friend comes and say "what a beautiful song!" and then we dance all night long in deep, deep extacy.

lol

davethedrummer
06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
boomtssboomtssboomtsschugga chugga chugaa womph! boomtssboomtssboomtss

etc etc......

davethedrummer
06-07-2004, 10:18 PM
abstract electronic music
held together with a strong 4/4 pulse?

MangaFish
06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
someone once said to me "techno is the essance of all dance music only with the bullshit taken away"

i kinda see his point

miss bass
06-07-2004, 11:23 PM
deep, dark n dirty .... mmm

Col
06-07-2004, 11:54 PM
real techno tells no lies. the pretenders fall away.

Ritzi Lee
07-07-2004, 07:29 AM
How funny.
If we replace the word 'techno' by 'house'
everybody seems to know what's house.

* house is a feeling.
soul, groovy, funky,
and sometimes with a bit of dirth....

and still it doesn't explain the definition of techno or house.
there's an essential difference between the 2 styles. or not??

teknorich
07-07-2004, 07:35 AM
"music made with the use of technology as oppossed to conventional instruments."

So Britney Spears is techno?!?

Don't kid yourself that all thses pop artists use the real instruments when producing their records. It's cheaper and easier to use studio effects and synthesised sounds.

miss bass
07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
haha, good point!!! And what do they use on her voice to make her sound like a 5 yr old?

Its real squeaky!

278d7e64a374de26f==