PDA

View Full Version : Hoover hoover... and a couple of other q's

John Ferraris
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Right, I understand the principles behind the hoover sound, but I really wanna make one proper sweet. The loop below is a simple attempt at me making a hoover sound on the V-Station. The actual hoover riff is shite, but I'm just trying to get it to 'jump around' a bit:

www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/hoovertest.mp3
www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/vstat_hoover.fxp

Now, as you can see (or hear), it sounds pretty amateurish. What I'm looking for is something dynamic, like the following:

www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/dominator_2.wav
www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/hard_hoover_2.wav

And i also like the sound of the following:

www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/insomniak_hoover.wav

I'm not looking for a cop-out and asking someone to do the leg work for me (or sample the above), its just I really don't know what direction to try. The hoover I made is pretty basic, what steps/principles would be advised to get the above sounds? I don't wan't them exactly, but I wouldn't mind knowing how I can improve my hoover sound n get it to jump about more.

And while we're on the topic of sound synthesis, the way to create that classic rave stab has evaded me for too long now: :twisted:

www.surrender2dance.co.uk/tunes/STAN_STAB.wav

Its used in prety much every olsdschool hardcore tune and I've come close, using a hoover varient by not using a pitch envelope and turning the filter cutoff to about 75-80% and having a high resonance, about 75-80%.

Any ideas?

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Think one of those samples sounds like its' got some reversed samples of hte hoover going on. They both sound a touch more gritty than yours. Your's is quite fun though ... i'm enjoying it - you hardly need the turd polisher or anything! You could just sample the thing and chop it up a bit and see what happens, try something with a bit more grit ... play with teh release control in real time. I had one with different attack curves depending on velocity once.

maybe someone else will have some clearer ideas...

John Ferraris
06-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Some interesting points u've raised. I'll investigate... time to brush of the ol' Dyson ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==