PDA

View Full Version : Drugs and Production

Barely Human
06-07-2004, 06:48 PM
With drugs an integral part of dance music today, do they help, or have influence on the music you produce?? I havent touched drugs for over 3 years now, and have never produced a track on them. Do they give you inspiration, or do they just mess up your whole production technique?? Im intrested to hear peoples veiws on this...

FILTERZ
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
i am a bit of a caner ,it can sometimes hold me back , othertimes sends my creativity skyhigh , depends on my life at the time i guess , cant say whether my music would be any different if i didnt take em , you like what you like after all

dan the acid man
06-07-2004, 08:13 PM
as the beatles once said, you can make good and bad music on drugs, you can make good and bad music clean.
i think having tried various things in my time, it will help me to write music for that experience, and i would have thought it does influence the way i write

John Ferraris
06-07-2004, 08:17 PM
I find a tiny bit of weed clears my head of real world stuff as to let me focus n concentrate more, n tends to bring out a lot of stuff from 'within' by going through the mindless motions. A fine line though, too much either distracts me or makes me percieve music all skewify :cry:

audioinjection
06-07-2004, 08:22 PM
i work on tracks sober and listen to them drunk :clap:

DJZeMig_L
06-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Never Tryed drugs, always into the music as it was... Have gotten drunk a few times but very very rarelly touched alchool since more than 10 years now... I wanna have all my focus on the music...
Not preaching though just my own way!

Z

Evil G
06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
tried that once. ended up listening to a 1.2 second loop for 4 hours. :(

mux
06-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I like to carefully divide my studio time - I don't get as much of it these days.

I have a few different mindsets for a few different sets of tasks. For instance, if I'm working on moving a song out of Logic and into the MPC, that takes some time, but is very careful, non-creative work. For that, having a clear head full of coffee is the best.

When I'm originally creating the MIDI loops in Logic - that's not so bad. Nice to have a beer or three and spend an evening making basslines and lead riffs.

When I'm building the "weird bits" in the Nord Modular - now, there, I can have weed! :lol: Easy to get lost in the NMM, but it's a very satisfying kind of lost. This is, for me, what spending time in the studio is all about. Also goes for spending an afternoon working on patches, with no "end" in sight, just making noises for the sake of noises.

I guess it boils down to one thing: if I have a clear destination (a track, or a show, or a deadline of some kind) in mind, weed and/or alcohol tend to hinder the process. If I'm just in the studio to enjoy myself and play with gear, it makes it even more fun.

Tried studioing on a small amount of acid once. Actually got a lot done. Can't see getting anything at all done on a larger amount tho. :)

StoQ
06-07-2004, 09:58 PM
i make music on weed very often. I feel i can hear the sound better on weed. Also my ideas are wider, but it very personal topic cuz, everyone has different feelings on drugs. Also tried makin music with speed [ polish speed's the best ;], but i thing sounds on speed are very distorted for me.

miss bass
06-07-2004, 11:38 PM
i have 2 tell u that i never do drugs and i dont smoke at all, when i go out just the atmosphere and music is enough 4 me. Dont wana be sounding 2 deep, but i really dont see the need in doin drugs, for me personally?call me boring but i just love going out dancing, although i must say i tend 2 find myself just standin listening 2 top djs mix seamlessy / or not!

alot of the time 2 i turn my m8s down 4 going out 4 a drink, apart from being skint, i stop in 2 make tunes, and id rather not waste my money on dancing 2 britney or eminem!

and i love it so ;)

davethedrummer
07-07-2004, 12:19 AM
i dunno really
i've ben in the studio drunk plenty of times
and on various other chemicals , but there really is nothing like doing it straight.
i've recently tryed to stop drinking at gigs and i must say i'm playing better as result.
although i'm slightly more tense than i was.

slavestudios
07-07-2004, 02:58 AM
the only drug that messes up my ability in the studio is alcohol...

apart from Guiness or a nice merlot (but in sensible qualitys)

the craziest thing ive evr done drug/studio wise is K. wrote a live set with an MC once & everytime we stared a new session, the K came out. when we came to do the gig, i couldnt remember the trax & just stood there laughing at the machines. all the trax were sequenced but i had fills & mutes & a desk to play with, but i just couldnt get it together...

smoke of hash is the staple though. and good strong coffee....

i hate drunk ppl in the studio. period. even me

Miromiric
07-07-2004, 10:46 AM
i go down with my mates in the studio and get loads of smack and we trip all nite long and make wikkid stuff and then in the morning my father comes in adn sais :"what a beautiful song!" and we dance the day away.

techno_smack
07-07-2004, 12:01 PM
so im not the only one! :shock:

Col
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
i must admit, a spliff or 2 does stir the imagination. imo it is a very good source of inspiration. moderation is the key though, i find that if i get too stoned i cant be bothered.

TechMouse
07-07-2004, 03:18 PM
I used to smoke weed when I was producing, but I found I ended up churning out 8 or 9 minute tunes which had good sounds, but never really went anywhere.

bornaa
07-07-2004, 09:15 PM
sometimes when im in the studio i shoot up some heroin just to get bit more focus on the track....dunno, i guess that does it for me.

eyes without a face
07-07-2004, 10:13 PM
good topic

im always smoking pot so when im doing my music i tend to always be stoned, but this is usual for me so i do think it affects what i produce, the reason being that when im stoned the last thing i want to be hearing for hours on end is really hard techno, i want something thats gonna b making me groove and something thats easy on the ears, but interesting too!

Maybe this is what helps people develop their styles? hahahaha who knows, all the hard techno producers may enjoy a big bag of speed before there studio sessions hahaha

Basil Rush
07-07-2004, 11:41 PM
i get messy in the studio. because i can!

dirty_bass
08-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, I used to make my music when I got back from doin the parties, so I was normally chemically enhanced.
I used to argue that the music was made for people in that state, so it would come across better.
Then I gave everything up, and also came to the conclusion that, If you can make your music give you a rush when you are straight. then anyone on chemicals is gonna feel it even more.

So I write most of my stuff when straight.

BUT drugs have taught me how sound can work on the brain at high volume.

heavy beats
08-07-2004, 03:47 AM
just to see how the majority of the folks hear it.... I like to test drive my music with a bit of smoke. :cool:

Rog
09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
i have only recently started doing my own stuff, so half, maybe 3/4s of the stuff your all on about is beyond me, however - I like working with another mind of equal ability as you bounce of each other..

stella / fags / coffe - job done ;)

Louk
09-07-2004, 07:37 PM
done quite a few tunes hammered

Louk

StoQ
11-07-2004, 11:59 AM
OK, so after reading all replys, now I'm sure WEED'S THE BEST FOR STUDIO WORKING :)

Louk
11-07-2004, 04:02 PM
or stella

Louk

DJVirulent
11-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I haven't done any drugs for almost 4 years, besides drink. Occasionally I'll have a bit of spirits to relax the nerves, but for the most part I'm such a perfectionist that I can't imagine doing tunes chemically-altered. About 90% of what I work on never gets finished or put out because I think it sounds like crap when I listen later, so I'd think it would be even worse writing stuff while you're off your rocker. Just the way I see it though, probably works well for some people.

Dustin Zahn
12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
I personally prefer to be sober and either wide-awake or incredibly tired (the mid-afternoon slump/siesta is a bad time). I say wide-awake or sleep-deprived because it usually puts me in a more focused and/or relaxed mood...which is when my best music comes out. I have close friends who need to smoke their brains out because they can "focus" better. That's cool I guess but I also watch them try and sequence a song and it takes them twice as long. The music also tends to lack depth sonically as well. Whatever tickles your fancy though, as long as you have some responsibility.

The whole point of my music is to make it sound just as surreal and trippy sober as it would when you're actually f.u.cked up...so I guess it's a good idea to be sober when keeping that concept in mind. Sometimes I'll come home from a party or a rave in the early morning hours after partying all night, that's also a really enjoyable time to make music as well. I don't go out to parties that much though, so those times are few and far between.

Komplex
12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
straight as a pole.

but I guess its whatever works for the individual.

networkacid
12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I once sat up for 14 hours solid smoking crystal meth and made a tune from start to finish - after having no sleep for about 24 hours beforehand. It was a weird kinda acid tune, some of the weird sounds I came up with through sheer experimentations at the time are some of my best yet and I found I really concentrated on each little bit of the tune in miniscule details, but very very quickly... It just put me into such a singular headspace (I was practically obsessed - didn't even get out of the chair!)and that was a unique experience for me, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time, as I'd probably end up freaking out :lol:

Most of the time I'm totally straight or I will smoke a scoob and happen to be playing around - I don't set specific music time, just whenever I feel inspired.. and I might maybe smoke 2 - 3 joints in a month.

One time I do often feel very inspired to make tunes is after a big night out when I will have maybe had pills or speed or whatever, then I like have this track in my head which is the conglomeration of all the sounds I heard that night, like a theme song or something... That's when I like to smoke up and really try and bring out the essence of the night in La La Land ;)

It's definitely a very personal thing and it's interesting to see all the different opinions and choices!

FILTERZ
12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
i go down with my mates in the studio and get loads of smack and we trip all nite long and make wikkid stuff and then in the morning my father comes in adn sais :"what a beautiful song!" and we dance the day away.

smack allnight and your not just sleeping , gauching and scratching your nose :twisted:

Miromiric
12-07-2004, 11:31 AM
i tell ya, its best to grab some good heroine and smack it intravenously. it really helps you focuse on what u r doing. but if u dont have an idea in your head you r ****ed anyway! :nono:

Buttman
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I really like doing music just after giving a rimjob. That musky sweaty anal juice taste goes very well with techno music.

FILTERZ
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
I really like doing music just after giving a rimjob. That musky sweaty anal juice taste goes very well with techno music.

so very very wrong :lol:

Komplex
13-07-2004, 01:23 AM

**** man, I was eating breakfast :(

Evil G
13-07-2004, 02:31 AM
so for future reference, ass licking is better flame bait than shooting heroin?

Buttman
13-07-2004, 02:11 PM

And/or probing.

FILTERZ
13-07-2004, 02:17 PM

And/or probing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metadog
13-07-2004, 05:34 PM
always used to have a fat spliff on the go when i was working but have mostly pack reefers in for pipes now and don't feel the urge to cane the weed any more, studio or not -

never really worked on a track on chems except once years ago

these days i find myself regularly avoiding getting too twatted at parties on saturday so i can have a relatively clear head in the studio on sunday (one of my regular days) and get a decent amount of work done

i love to listen to a completed track after caning the ket tho - really opens up the sounds

:clap:

Komplex
14-07-2004, 01:21 AM
I like to OD and twitch around, randomly hitting the keys on my synths ;)

TripleX
14-07-2004, 07:02 PM

**** man, I was eating breakfast :(

at leats he didnĀ“t post no pic this time :nono: :lol:

DEVICE
04-11-2004, 03:34 PM
I find that the day after a good lsd trip always good for mixing/producing. My mind is clear and I have a grasp of how the sounds will affect people in an altered state.

JE:5
04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I must admit when I used to do live sets I used to leave it till the last minute, take some speed and write the whole thing in a day, worked fine for me.

neilried
04-11-2004, 05:30 PM
tried that once. ended up listening to a 1.2 second loop for 4 hours. :(

Ha ha many a time, infact have a feeling my evening may go just like that.... tonight!!!! :doh:

RDR
05-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Write sober, enjoy drunk/stoned.

fatcollective
05-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Chemically Enhanced studio sessions are sometimes fun although can get rather complicated :shock: there are good points and bad points and one being, its sounds amazing at the time but the nextday sometimes very dissapointing....its good to do it straight and if then you feel the music and it makes you wanna jump around the room....i think you have cracked it!

tocsin
05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
i work on tracks sober and listen to them drunk :clap:

Haha! That about sums it up for me as well. Though I have done a number while I was drunk but, unless I spend a lot of time cleaning up the ideas later, it is kinda obvious that I was in the mindset. Sometimes it works (if the track is supposed to have that drunk silliness or anger) but most of the time it's not a good combo. ;)

spididdy
05-11-2004, 07:07 PM
smoking a lil herb does make the music come out a lil better imo....well....a lot better.

acidsaturation
25-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Hmmm...

It's easy to make stuff that sounds good when yr f*cked, isn't it... But then its good to get an idea of how it sounds when yr wrecked too...

Play about with it in what ever state you fancy, but do the hard work straight.

Weed - I tend to get bored and listen the the same four bars over, just not too productive!

Acid - did a really good jam once, all wierd and swirly with Absynth and some live bits and bobs... Still sounds great, but it's 65 bloody minutes long!!!!

K - Are you mad!!! Tried it once when my mate shoved his laptop infront of me. Somehow managed to write a drum loop, but at the time the Laptop was mutating into a swamp complete with crocodiles! And it make it all sound tinny.

Beer - Tend to get bored and want to look at tits on the net instead...

BloodStar
25-11-2004, 12:57 PM
I like to smoke weed, when I'm producing. It's good for me, when I'm playing with synths, tweedling all the knobs :lol: or making some drumloops, whatever.
If it comes to mixage, I'm trying to stay clear.. :twisted:

I don't use chem.drugs when i want to sit to my comp- and make some music, but sometimes, when I'm out for a party and then come home, detroyed with some forbidden instances, I love to make music, and it's very nice to hear the track next day, when I'm sober and my head is clean..I can find very interesting ideas in it, or sometimes a totally ****ed up track. Mostly there is some interesting idea in the track, even the rest isn't perfect and need rework..

daviec
26-11-2004, 11:27 AM

Haha, been there, yep! :clap: :clap: ;)

fatcollective
26-11-2004, 01:52 PM

Haha, been there, yep! :clap: :clap: ;)

:lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==