PDA

View Full Version : ni kontakt

heavy beats
08-07-2004, 03:43 AM
anybody uses this thing? i've collaborated on a few tracks with this thing, but it seems like a pain in the ass to use. any tips or reason why I should use this more often?

h.

Basil Rush
08-07-2004, 02:08 PM
We use it for a particuarly piano sound, but never use it for techno ... couldn't get gigasampler to work though ... what are you trying to do with it?

TechMouse
08-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I always find that for the kind of sampling I usually want to do, Battery does a much better job of it.

I imagine I'd dig it out a bit more if I was wanting more "instrument-y" sounds though.

davcron
08-07-2004, 06:50 PM
two reasons I use Kontakt instead of Battery:

- you can assign voices to "Groups", each of which can be has individual eq/filters and effects

- the modulation section is pretty powerful-- you can assign multiple modulation sources (internal lfos, envelopes, step seqs, external automation, cc's, etc) to almost any parameter.

the net result of this for me is that i can get a lot more done inside Kontakt, which means I don't have to route each group of voices (like hi hats or kix) to a channel in Logic for eq and effects. and I'm pretty pleased with Kontakt's sound doing this kind of stuff..

but I still use Battery for quick and dirty drums.

davethedrummer
08-07-2004, 07:56 PM
two reasons I use Kontakt instead of Battery:

- you can assign voices to "Groups", each of which can be has individual eq/filters and effects

- the modulation section is pretty powerful-- you can assign multiple modulation sources (internal lfos, envelopes, step seqs, external automation, cc's, etc) to almost any parameter.

the net result of this for me is that i can get a lot more done inside Kontakt, which means I don't have to route each group of voices (like hi hats or kix) to a channel in Logic for eq and effects. and I'm pretty pleased with Kontakt's sound doing this kind of stuff..

but I still use Battery for quick and dirty drums.

very infomative thank you

The Divide
08-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Its a ****ing brilliant softsampler. The problem is like you said it’s a pain. This tends to slow things down for me. One of the main reasons I stopped using it as the main sampler in my tracks was....

You know when you create a rack/instrument you setup everything on it, internal fx, modulators and the envelopes. When it comes to actually switching the samples its awkward. Its not the setting up and what not its how you have to re-import a sample to here it in that rack. Thus meaning you have to reset the key map and shit. Or you could rebuild it in another rack. I dunno, I like to be able to flick the samples knowing its going to be processed by that rack and it doesnt do that. Also on my version there’s a problem with the sample browsing which means I have to stop the track for playing to allow me to play the sample. I started a thread not so long ago about this

Halion 2 is worth a go. But its still not very quick however it does support rex files. Sadly not reason refills (i fcuking hate those propellerhead refills, bring on a refill un-packer the cunts!!!)

Battery is quick and easy, love the function "play sample in kit" or something like that which lets you hear the sample as you browse playing back from the location of the sample your trying to replace. I find that it batters my cpu when its loaded up tho. But it sounds amazing.

Actually my favorite samplers & drum machines will have to be the reason ones. again that’s because its quick (those up and down buttons work a treat and it loads samples up really quick). Its also very nice on the cpu although it doesn’t seem to play sounds back in high quality tho. Bigtime drawback

heavy beats
11-07-2004, 09:58 AM
thanks guys.

i'm still learning this program, but I just mainly want to use it so I can chop up loops or sounds and rearrange them easily on the piano roll.

278d7e64a374de26f==