PDA

View Full Version : Final Scratch and what do you think of....

icb
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I`m getting more and more interested in final scratch, want to play some stuff that hasn`t been released yet, need your opinion on it, is it really good, and so on?

TechMouse
09-07-2004, 03:41 PM
The technologys is great, and seeing the tune go past on the screen as a wave is really helpful - especially in a dark club.

But - I do think it encourages some people to just download music and never buy any. I understand completely that it's great for people who produce etc. who want to play their own stuff or their own edits - this is how I would use it mainly - but I know a couple of people who have it and just see it as their ticket to "never having to buy a record again". Which is a bit sad.

death on a stick
09-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Final Scratch seems to be becoming a thing of the past. An outdated technology. But we don't need yet another thread about it, just do a search and find the many threads that have already been posted discussing FS and non-vinyl DJing technologies.

gary_human
09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
As far as I can see - i have never used it - what is the point of imitating something which plays records when there is no records to be played? Why didnt Stanton just use their technology and develop something which did somethin new and innovative?

I love decks because of records and if every one plays final scratch there will be no records - so why imitate something that would not exist without the 'BLACK GOLD' ??!!

Im not into it because of the principle and never will be (Old git!)

Gimme some new 21st century technology which doesnt imitate anything else,

DJ ing is about playing records. There would be no DJs with no records.

Long live vinyl :lol:

g
09-07-2004, 04:36 PM
if you're shopping FS you may want to also look at the Rane/SSL system. a lot of people seem to think it improves upon the FS system in a few detail areas.

techno_smack
09-07-2004, 06:41 PM
has any1 tried the Ms. Pinky one???

jonnyspeed
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
...great - so long as it ain't an excuse to rip off artists by never buying their tunes or going to see them play. Fair enuf if stuff is deleted and you honestly missed it but otherwise buy their records.

Best use, I think, is to mix your own stuff you knock up on Fruity/Reason/Pro Tools/Cubase whatever...

g
09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
there's a lot to be said for being able to play your own edits of stuff you like

MangaFish
09-07-2004, 10:08 PM
but isnt that the point of cd decks?

never used either so i cant really comment

xfive
09-07-2004, 10:10 PM
I have hated every cd deck I have ever used in comparison to vinyl..... that being said.. the new Technics ones look pretty dope :lol:

jake
09-07-2004, 10:52 PM
miss pinky is cool for a couple reasons..
1. its cheap
2. works with maxmsp (if u know that kinda stuff)

reasons it sucks
1. super ugly interface (guess u can make a new one though)
2. need to buy pre amps for it

g
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
miss pinky is cool for a couple reasons..
1. its cheap
2. works with maxmsp (if u know that kinda stuff)

reasons it sucks
1. super ugly interface (guess u can make a new one though)
2. need to buy pre amps for it

and 2/2 potentially negates 1/1

sash
10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
How the hell do they invent stuff like that. that's what i think :roll:

Evil G
10-07-2004, 12:03 AM
but isnt that the point of cd decks?

never used either so i cant really comment

the two major drawbacks of cd decks are:

a) no tactile control - you can't touch the cd while it spins

b) 16 bit sound - 65,000 degrees of amplitude

with final scratch, you get to touch a record, and you have the option of playing 24 bit files (16 million degrees of amplitude), which, imho, sound much fuller and warmer than cds.

if you are playing tracks ripped from cd or downloaded from the net, they wont be 24 bit, but if you produced them yourself though ought to be.

i do tend to think though that ableton is going to supercede final scratch. nobody cares about beat mixing anymore, because anybody can learn to do it in a couple of months. so the direction a lot of people are taking is, forget beat mixing, spend more time tweaking filters and fx.

mindgame
10-07-2004, 02:12 AM
a) no tactile control - you can't touch the cd while it spins

the new technic one is pretty nice though..its got a small platter with the same grips on teh side as a normal tech dek.
i was surprised..alot of $$$$$$$4 though.

im a much bigger fan of vinyl but FS was fun to use..as mentioned before teh screen is nice to have..
i kept wanting to pick up the record to put it on the otherside if i dident like the track i was hearing ( i was going through someone elses data bank of tracks.)

i dont like the records though..too thick..but i guess thats so they dont wear out to fast//

icb
10-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I see what you`re all saying,I was thinking about it also, but I was merely interested is the feel the same as real vinyl, cause of some latency and all? Is there really no difference between real record and FS record? thanks, anyway

Miromiric
10-07-2004, 01:06 PM
its an exciting new technology, i rather use FS then vinyl.

miasma man
10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
I've not tried FS it does sound good in principle, dunno tho, i reckon with vinyl there's a certain romance and simplicity with the plastic that can't be beat ?

Miromiric
10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
ofcourse it can.

miasma man
10-07-2004, 01:20 PM
possibly - depends who/what you are and how you feel, down to the individual ?

Miromiric
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
man you are so yesterday :roll: :lol:

miasma man
10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeh you're probably right, but not all of me is about yesterday (i hope)

MangaFish
10-07-2004, 03:24 PM
man you are so yesterday :roll: :lol:

but if something works for someone, why should they have to upgrade to the latest toy. newer <> better

Miromiric
10-07-2004, 03:34 PM
i was joking.

killarava2day
10-07-2004, 04:26 PM
As far as I can see - i have never used it - what is the point of imitating something which plays records when there is no records to be played? Why didnt Stanton just use their technology and develop something which did somethin new and innovative?

...yeah, like develop a turntable worth paying money for.

g
10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
I've not tried FS it does sound good in principle, dunno tho, i reckon with vinyl there's a certain romance and simplicity with the plastic that can't be beat ?
the romantic and simple thing about FS is that it uses exactly the same methodology and harware. exactly. the difference is you're digging in a computer rather than a crate. and saving your back some considerable aggravation.

NooNoo
11-07-2004, 12:06 PM
I've got mixed feelings on final Scratch.
It is brilliant, in that you can carry your entire record collection with you on a laptop. No more searchin through your box thinkin, shit, I wish I'd fetched that tune with me.
Bad points though, I do think it encourages piracy and downloading of tunes, rather than buying them. Also, its not nice being at the mercy of a laptop, I don't think dj booths are the best of places for tempremental pieces of equipment like pc's, being full of smoke, vibrations, danger of beer spillage ect.

karlo
11-07-2004, 01:31 PM
So where do we go with that? i will either play with my cdj100s :protest:

DJMAYA
12-07-2004, 12:03 AM
doesnt FS link to a turntable anyway?

karlo
12-07-2004, 12:52 PM
doesnt FS link to a turntable anyway?
yes, but theres no changing vinyls, just 2 vinyl and laptop..thats it...

xfive
12-07-2004, 06:04 PM
the new technic one is pretty nice though..its got a small platter with the same grips on teh side as a normal tech dek.

It's a 10" platter for all those turntablists out there ;)
10" records are easier to scratch with.

Dustin Zahn
12-07-2004, 06:23 PM
FS pisses me off. It can be an excellent tool in the right hands for people who actually could utilize it to its full potential. Unfortunately, I've noticed its just a bunch of wanks with no responsibility who end up buying FS. They stop buying records and come up with a few common excuses. Some of the most common I've heard are:

"Well, I just had a kid and I can't afford to buy records, so this is good for me!" My reply...now you can't afford a sports car either, doesn't mean you can steal one.

"I've been buying records for years. I've dropped thousands of dollars, I think I deserve a break from being broke all the time!" No you don't. You don't think anyone else has spent as much as you over the years? It's an expensive hobby, learn to accept it.

I think F.S. is the final nail in the coffin for this scene.

The Overfiend
12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
:clap:

Miromiric
12-07-2004, 06:49 PM

thats a good thing, no?

The Overfiend
12-07-2004, 07:04 PM
you are the coffin miro ;)

DJMAYA
12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
haha....

final scratch is just another progression.

the scene cannot die, and wont. not very often in human history does a scene die! they just reform and readjust as the world does around us every day.

sash
13-07-2004, 12:25 AM
It would b good to back up all your vinyl onto cd's incase ur house got robbed and they took all ur precious vinyl. That way u can get FS and still mix in the normal traditional manner.

There's a bunch of pricks goin around my side of town robbin houses stealin mainly computers n dj equipment. It's pretty hardcore at the moment. I fukk'n hate thieves but what do u do?

slavestudios
13-07-2004, 12:34 AM
i want FS, but only so i can play my studio prods in clubs.

the idea of d/loading to save money stinks to high heaven.

davethedrummer
13-07-2004, 06:10 AM
i've been using final scratch a bit recently and i have to say i love it.
but mainly because i produce and i just want to play my stuff out a bit sooner. also you have so many options open to you if you are actively involved in music making.

ie: personalised bootlegs , exclusive remixes etc
it could be viewed as being an alternative to a live set.

obviously there is the risk of people downloading trax and never buying vinyl
but they'll do that anyway and play it off cd, so what's the difference?

it's a good program which is getting better with the new updates
and the possiblities are endless, so it aint dead yet.

also i'm finding more and more clubs have it installed
which means you don't have to do that unplugging thing with the dex , which is its greatest drawback i.m.o.
youm can just jack straight into the usb of your laptop and away you go

anyways as .d.o.a.s. said
we've had enough threads about f.s.
maybe if you need to know more go back and check some earlier posts.

anyone who wants to talk about f.s. is welcome to pm me

G-whizz
13-07-2004, 01:45 PM
FS pisses me off. It can be an excellent tool in the right hands for people who actually could utilize it to its full potential. Unfortunately, I've noticed its just a bunch of wanks with no responsibility who end up buying FS. They stop buying records and come up with a few common excuses. Some of the most common I've heard are:

"Well, I just had a kid and I can't afford to buy records, so this is good for me!" My reply...now you can't afford a sports car either, doesn't mean you can steal one.

"I've been buying records for years. I've dropped thousands of dollars, I think I deserve a break from being broke all the time!" No you don't. You don't think anyone else has spent as much as you over the years? It's an expensive hobby, learn to accept it.

I hear what your saying but dont forget a lot of labels have started making there tunes available for download as mp3`s for £1-2 which make it cheaper for those poeple that dont have much money... I`d rather pay £1-2 then trying to search around the net for a techno tune I wanted to play .

g
13-07-2004, 06:07 PM
i disagree but only because the attitude/habits you describe are not going to last long. we could have a long philosophical discussion about technology adoption and behavioral learning curves as to why. consider what people thought of automobiles at first. or home computers.

anyway, it might be the nail you speak of but something new is being built on top of the coffin. it's not as though the people who love this stuff (us) are about to pack it up and go home.

MangaFish
13-07-2004, 08:51 PM
i was joking.

ah sorry. disregard my post then :lol:

icb
13-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Why it hurts you so much? Time is changing, people are changing... personally I think I will get myself a FS, won`t stop buying vinyls, but will play some stuff on it that can`t get anywhere on vinyl... use its full potential:)

Dustin Zahn
14-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Why it hurts you so much? Time is changing, people are changing... personally I think I will get myself a FS, won`t stop buying vinyls, but will play some stuff on it that can`t get anywhere on vinyl... use its full potential:)

The problem I have with it is that most people won't use it to it's full potential. I don't mind putting music out and not making much money off of it, but I do mind putting music out when I have to pay for it out of my own pocket later because little shits are too cheap to buy it. That's my only complaint.

Iolo Fitzowen
14-07-2004, 02:46 AM
I've seen Richie Hawtin in a couple of very nice gigs with F.S., nothing against it. Even Chris Liebing did an 11 hour set here in Brazil two years ago with F.S., and it came out correctly.
But if you want to see something like The Wizard @ WJLB (1987) I don't know if it's possible...perhaps the most experient ones can answer!

;]

g
14-07-2004, 08:45 AM
you've seen them do decent gigs because they are good djs. fs doesn't do a damn thing one way or the other in that department.

icb
14-07-2004, 11:13 PM

The problem I have with it is that most people won't use it to it's full potential. I don't mind putting music out and not making much money off of it, but I do mind putting music out when I have to pay for it out of my own pocket later because little shits are too cheap to buy it. That's my only complaint.
fair enough.. you do have right, I think I will try to set myself somewhere in the middle of this, working as I see it works best for my presentation of techno like buying FS, but staying true to vinyls also...... passion is something you cannot override....

slavestudios
14-07-2004, 11:30 PM
i want FS to play my studio shit but i aint recording all my 12s to a lappy. no way sir. i'll trail that box around where ever need be.

278d7e64a374de26f==