PDA

View Full Version : latin samples

tekara
10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
not sure if this has been asked before,

but anyone know where i can find some latin samples? reason why im asking is because it seems like alot of these new techno tracks have sampled latin loops and chants going on and would like to play around and have some fun with similar samples...

thanks!

tekara
10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
gah!!

happened again,

sorry guys this should be in the production forum.

Tiptoe
10-07-2004, 01:43 PM
not too keen o latin samples myself. Been done before and if not done right just makes tracks sound cheesy imo.

Sunil
10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
not too keen o latin samples myself. Been done before and if not done right just makes tracks sound cheesy imo.

Yeah defo, **** Latin samples, they're a load of bollocks and shouldn't have a place in techno anymore, at least not in the way they've been used in 90% of tracks.

MangaFish
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
it might have been more help if you told this guy where to find some samples. :nono:

at the end of the day its all just personal preference and i quite like the odd latin style track. plus tekara might have actually created some thing new, interesting and far from cheesy for all you know :rambo:

Tiptoe
10-07-2004, 03:29 PM
i never said that his would be cheesy i said if done wrong can sound cheesy.

The Overfiend
10-07-2004, 05:52 PM

Yeah defo, **** Latin samples, they're a load of bollocks and shouldn't have a place in techno anymore, at least not in the way they've been used in 90% of tracks.

Being Latin I kind of agree and disagree,
I feel that people really need to have a knowledge of what they are sampling. Some producers are taking incantations and looping parts that language wise make zero sense, also the rhythms are polymorphing into the beat so its not as on time as it should be, African rhythms and afro cuban rhthms have their place in music and i can see that latin tinged flavors fit very well into techno because alot of our music is rhythm based in itself. But I do agree that people sampling cheesy hooks from salsa songs can play out the sound very quickly. I still plan on using those samples but at least I can attest to the validity of where its coming from. but the horns and the latin typical singer is yes very played out, ricky ricardo has left the building.

Sunil
10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
it might have been more help if you told this guy where to find some samples. :nono:

at the end of the day its all just personal preference and i quite like the odd latin style track. plus tekara might have actually created some thing new, interesting and far from cheesy for all you know :rambo:

It may have been more helpful to have given links to samples but hey it's in the Hard/Club techno forum where people are allowed speak their mind.
The latin vocal thing typifies the dire state of much 'techno' at the moment. Beyer did it well with the "Manipulated" remix and a swarm of producers copied it. Some people do it cleverly but being honest about it why is anyone still bothering? zzzzzzz :sleeping: Lobbing random latin vocal samples into straight drum tracks ain't exactly forward thinking.

The Overfiend
10-07-2004, 06:09 PM
[ Lobbing random latin vocal samples into straight drum tracks ain't exactly forward thinking.

Agreed, and the Manipulated thing I didnt think was wow impressive, because ny latin house producers were doing that sound back in 95, morillo and them house kids were doingit since god knows when.

Sunil
10-07-2004, 06:20 PM
and the Manipulated thing I didnt think was wow impressive, because ny latin house producers were doing that sound back in 95, morillo and them house kids were doingit since god knows when.

I didn't really think it was wow impressive either but it was certainly good for a few plays at the time.. was a strong track but perhaps overhyped in the end, although in fairness most of that was done by Prime who seemed to claim it was most important techno track of our generation.

The Overfiend
10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
and the Manipulated thing I didnt think was wow impressive, because ny latin house producers were doing that sound back in 95, morillo and them house kids were doingit since god knows when.

I didn't really think it was wow impressive either but it was certainly good for a few plays at the time.. was a strong track but perhaps overhyped in the end, although in fairness most of that was done by Prime who seemed to claim it was most important techno track of our generation.

You gotta be kidding me.
They can't be serious with that comment.
By no means am I one to slag anyones work. But the most important techno song of our generation?
In the words of the Shonuff Shogun of Harlem
"..... Please" :!:

Sunil
10-07-2004, 06:31 PM

You gotta be kidding me.
They can't be serious with that comment.
By no means am I one to slag anyones work. But the most important techno song of our generation?
In the words of the Shonuff Shogun of Harlem
"..... Please" :!:

Haha, well maybe not word for word "Most important techno track of our time" but they weren't too far off saying it...

The Overfiend
10-07-2004, 06:33 PM
That's so pat ourselves on our back for putting out a hit.
I'm sure by the end of this year there will be another Celia Cruz sample flying around somewhere, In fact. I should do it just to show how Latin tinged sounds right, sounds cocky eh! :lol:

T2
10-07-2004, 07:16 PM
i think there are a few samples on www.fatcollective.com

in the sample area,

also y not download a origonal latin song from winMX (www.winMX.com)
or kazza and chop it up in sound forge or adobe audition. loop it and bobs ya uncle fannys ya aunt. :wtf: :rambo:

T2
10-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Lobbing random latin vocal samples into straight drum tracks ain't exactly forward thinking.

hmm i think it is. techno means forever changing i think and so y not try something new. well it was new back then so i guess it was forward thinking. pushing the boundrys of techno....

but again its down to personal oppinion.

Sunil
10-07-2004, 10:48 PM
hmm i think it is. techno means forever changing i think and so y not try something new. well it was new back then so i guess it was forward thinking. pushing the boundrys of techno....

but again its down to personal oppinion.

We're talking about now not then. Throwing a latin vocal in even the way Beyer did is not forward thinking or pushing the boundaries of techno, it's called making a techno hit which he most certainly did. Beyer made a good job of it and it seemed like a novel idea particularly in a hard techno track, but that was 2001, why the hell are people still at it in 2004?

DJMAYA
11-07-2004, 11:53 PM
because latin samples rock!

i think taking traditional tunes taken into techno tracks is progression. how can it be not?
plus latin stuff makes ya wiggle. it aint bout being hardcore thoigh obviously, its about having a sense of a goodtime and showing people what that means.
i love playing these sorta samples/tracks as for me it brings new people into the scene.

the girls love it!!!
and da boys follow da girls!
;)

The Overfiend
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
also y not download a origonal latin song from winMX (www.winMX.com)
or kazza and chop it up in sound forge or adobe audition. loop it and bobs ya uncle fannys ya aunt. :wtf: :rambo:

saying things like this is part of my point exactly, you guys dont even realize the sample could be saying (f--k your mom) in spanish you just think it sounds oh so cool in reality you are just using it to fill space like when the acid boys use hip hop samples which i dont understand either.

Agent Orange NYC
12-07-2004, 07:30 PM
To say that "there is no place for that (anything) in techno" is really silly. All genre's of edm have come so far and there is almost a place for anything anywhere. The latin sound is a very important part of TRIBAL techno, maybe not the ACID or HARD loop techno alot of people of this board are into. I do agree that when just thrown in uncreativley, it does make a track sound like shite. But that in general defies the #1 rule which should apply for ALL techno: innovation and creativity. Bye the way how many "techno" tracks have 303 or 909 (ride) or 808's in em? :nono:

jonnyspeed
12-07-2004, 07:31 PM
go digging in the secondhand record stores - go in when its quiet and just ask them what is really good latin they love that kind of thing - if they've got decks cool! or just buy a cheap battery powered record player (if they still do them? - must do for Hip-Hop DJ??) and go diggin'

jonnyspeed
12-07-2004, 07:36 PM
[quote=T2]like when the acid boys use hip hop samples which i dont understand either.

This one is definately for he punters - goes down really well because its like taking a really good track (hip hop), nicking a few good hooks and mixing it with something great to dance to when you are off your tits. QED. Okay not very intellegent but as they say... if fackin' avin' it.

Sunil
12-07-2004, 08:26 PM
To say that "there is no place for that (anything) in techno" is really silly. All genre's of edm have come so far and there is almost a place for anything anywhere. The latin sound is a very important part of TRIBAL techno, maybe not the ACID or HARD loop techno alot of people of this board are into. I do agree that when just thrown in uncreativley, it does make a track sound like shite. But that in general defies the #1 rule which should apply for ALL techno: innovation and creativity. Bye the way how many "techno" tracks have 303 or 909 (ride) or 808's in em? :nono:

I was referring to latin samples in the way they have been commonly used in 90% of techno tracks over the last few years i.e. Being thrown in with little thought only for the fact that they sound catchy (Well catchy to some people, certainly not to me). Maybe I am being strong in saying there's no place for them but if I am to be honest I don't see the point in them anymore, they are in no way representative of techno as I've known it or indeed how I generally like it, but then again that's just me. Sure it may seem silly to disregard a certain element completely and not want to hear it again but until I hear a track with one of these vocals that actually sounds non cheesy with a bit of attitude then I'll stand by what I've said. Can anyone point me to any recent tracks of this kind that are actually any use? Because I can't remember the last one.

The Overfiend
12-07-2004, 08:31 PM

I was referring to latin samples in the way they have been commonly used in 90% of techno tracks over the last few years i.e. Being thrown in with little thought only for the fact that they sound catchy (Well catchy to some people, certainly not to me). Maybe I am being strong in saying there's no place for them but if I am to be honest I don't see the point in them anymore, they are in no way representative of techno as I've known it or indeed how I generally like it, but then again that's just me. Sure it may seem silly to disregard a certain element completely and not want to hear it again but until I hear a track with one of these vocals that actually sounds non cheesy with a bit of attitude then I'll stand by what I've said. Can anyone point me to any recent tracks of this kind that are actually any use? Because I can't remember the last one.

Like I said I'm workin on it champ.

DJMAYA
12-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Ant has one out called 'Latin something?' on Yolk,
ithink its really well done.
nice growling synth pervades the sample after a few loopsz...nice :clap:

The Overfiend
14-07-2004, 09:05 PM
:eh:

DJMAYA
14-07-2004, 10:35 PM
well i thought so :roll: :cool: