PDA

View Full Version : fruitly loops

MangaFish
13-07-2004, 09:28 PM
i've a complete novice in producing so thought i would start my journy with fruity loops (learn the lingo and get to grips with filters etc) before moving on to something a lot more professional

needless to say i've already run into a brick wall. i cant for the life of me work out why my kick drums have no punch to them :bash:

i've spent hours tweaking compressors, pass filters and eqs (although i must admit i have no idea what the settings on the compressors or filters should be set to) with little improvement :cry:

any hints guys?

audioinjection
13-07-2004, 11:00 PM
layer your bass drums, or use different ones

MangaFish
13-07-2004, 11:24 PM
tried all that.

i've just downlaoded some new samples. hopefully these will do the trick

dan the acid man
14-07-2004, 12:11 AM
the brickwall setting on the compressor in fruity is a good starting point,
i usually set my attack to zero, release to 1ms, ratio usually set quite high, but it depends on the track and the threshold quite high.

EmotionComplex
14-07-2004, 12:15 AM
(although i must admit i have no idea what the settings on the compressors or filters should be set to)

theres your answer :lol: , compression is very subjective and im only starting to get the hang of it properly now but as far as kick drums go you are wanting to emphasise the snap to the beggining of it whilst controlling the volume of everything after meaning the kick peaks at the right place and stays controlled afterwards

although just guidlines try setting your compressor up liek this for a kick drum then you can work subtle changes around it till you get it sweet

attack = 2-5ms
release 10-20ms
ratio 10-1
- 15db
then make up the volume with the compressor gain

whilstthe punchyness of the kick is determined by the actual kick you will find any snap to the begining of it will be greatly emphasised and should push through the mix nicely. also try eqing the kick drum, lower mid boost of about 2-3db can help emphasise that snap but again its all dependant on the kick.

like audioinjection says layering can be good to, i sometimes put together a kick in soundforge by looking out for certain charectoristics of other kicks isolating them with eq and forming layers which you can then put together, its a good way to give the kick a lot of pressence by having a deep bottom end and punchy mid and once compressed in the mix youl end up with a tailored punchy kick :)

MangaFish
14-07-2004, 12:20 AM
nice one. will have a play about after work tomorrow :clap:

TechMouse
14-07-2004, 01:19 AM
I tend to find a much longer attack on the comp (e.g. 30ms) gives much more of a punch to your kickdrums.

EmotionComplex
14-07-2004, 01:51 AM
I tend to find a much longer attack on the comp (e.g. 30ms) gives much more of a punch to your kickdrums.

i shall have a go :)

tracatak
15-07-2004, 03:06 AM
as far as kick drums go you are wanting to emphasise the snap to the beggining of it

can u please elaborate on this/.....do u mean the kicks has a louder soudn at the begining of it?

professor
15-07-2004, 01:42 PM
ratio of 10-1? holy smokes!

DJZeMig_L
15-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Major tips are quite simple...

Use the panning 4 all yer sounds except basslines and bassdrums...

this will imediatelly make u fit more stuff with out sounding muffled and mashed..

Pay close attencion 2 yer DB meter everytime a new sound comes in, make sure u don'tn have yer kick way 2 loud. Most of times akick will sound powerfull because of the tone of the track/ kick, it's relative level and how it cuts thru other sounds.. it is now a matter of how loud can it go... also make sure I are now keeping all yer levels at red!!

Give the music some room 2 breathe and use yer power amp 2 make it louder...

Sorry if this is a bit 2 obvious but a lot of probs come from simple things like this!!

Z

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 04:41 PM
the brickwall setting on the compressor in fruity is a good starting point,
i usually set my attack to zero, release to 1ms, ratio usually set quite high, but it depends on the track and the threshold quite high.

oh so true

DJZeMig_L
15-07-2004, 04:44 PM
trackatak ... answering yer last question.. 2 bring out the clicky start of a BD just use a slightly more open attack setting and some resonably heavy comp ratio...

Z

MangaFish
15-07-2004, 10:29 PM
superb stuff people :clap:

DJ Ze MigL: it may have been obvious, but i deffinatly needed reminding. cheers mate

tracatak
16-07-2004, 03:12 AM
i agree ..you guys are great...thanks Ze MigL :clap: i am currently using a little attack with a ratio liek that as well...plus i experiement as well..im starting to layer my kicks....and place my compressor last in chain (fruity loops) ..i guess it makes i throbb better (IMO it totally does..)...im gunan post a new loop to show u my progress since the last one...soon...i just gotta get the clipping to stop...i think its going to much into the red..so i add a waves L-1 ulramaximizer+ ...its a limiter i think/..peak controller ..etc..so its sorta doing the trick..but i got a ways to go ..so no rush..gotta crawl before i walk....anywho thanks for the advice....
:cool:

MangaFish
16-07-2004, 11:11 PM
i feel your pain!
clipping is the bastard child of digital music :evil: :doh:

mcvicar
17-07-2004, 11:59 PM
i sugest using fruity free filter , set type to high pass , set q to 4 bars or 5 , and edit events to get the right frequency to want ....

thats all the advice i can give on filtering .. cause thats all ive learnt so far , but its seems to pay off ...

tracatak
18-07-2004, 01:29 AM
i never understood what the Q stood for...any1 know?

p.s. a friend of mine jsut came over for a pre party to the event im spinningn at tonight and he saw what sight i was at ..hes liek OMG THEY GOT SICK RECORDS...hehe...i havent had the pleasure yet....but wheni start to spin techno i will def...purchase some...

if any1s bored check out

WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/TRACATAK (LIL OL ME)

DJMAYA
27-07-2004, 10:25 PM
learnt a lot from this...nice bits of advice people.

my question aBOUT FL's is to do with the pattern length.

Is it possible to extend the length of the pattern from 4bars to 8 bars?
surely you can but ive spebt hours looking for it so far and no joy.

Barely Human
27-07-2004, 10:31 PM
learnt a lot from this...nice bits of advice people.

my question aBOUT FL's is to do with the pattern length.

Is it possible to extend the length of the pattern from 4bars to 8 bars?
surely you can but ive spebt hours looking for it so far and no joy.

Deppends what version and iff you want to change every pattern lenth or just single ones??

If using fruity 4, you can change a single patterns lenth by changing the number in the box at the top left of the step sequancer..

In all fruitys from 2 upwards, you can change the lenth of all the patterns by going "Options/Project General Settings", you can also change the timebase and the amount of beats in a bar.

tracatak
29-07-2004, 12:22 AM
post what u do in FL when u start a track...and some steps u find urselves going thru ..i use layer like 4 kicks ...first two on fx #2 and next 2 kicks on fx 3....i set different compressor settings for both to get two differnt PUMPS i guess...(i add comprssor aat the botttom of the fx windows #8...)...i also put a limiter and a paragraphic eq with certain setting so no clippin accurs a friend gave me a set of settings/numbers he uses ..cuz i was getttinga lot of clippin b4....this may not be correct but its all i learnd so far..and i would like to share set up secrets ...so i can learn more...and get a sound i enjoy...not what im currently ending up with.....also after ido all this i start to add basic hi hats and have them on their own channels ...liek the first hi hat on fx #4...and another hi hat on fx #5.....

please comment on if u think im doing something a lil backword or leaving a step out...cuz somehow all this isnt gettign exactly what i want.....ty..any help would be great....

p.s. even if u dotn use fruity loops what is a basic way ud start off a track...(even if you may start differet everytime..canu give me a kick/percusiion set up...) for instance..do u doa regular k-h- k-h- k-h- k-h- basic beat the compress like hell or the sidechain then compress..etc...tyyyyyyyyy...u guys are the best :twisted:

DJZeMigL
29-07-2004, 02:08 AM
I start with sounds/ sequences... the rest follows...

Z

The Overfiend
29-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I start with atmospheres and rhythms first way before I put a kick in, I let the rhythm decide what the drum pattern is going to be unless I'm going the loop approach.

tracatak
29-07-2004, 11:28 PM
what is the loop approach..u make a loop of percussion first then add a kick drum..?

djsirround
31-07-2004, 10:23 PM
I have a template which I created my self, db meter, paramteci eq, free filter, filter, and some other stuff, it makes is easier for me to have it as a template instead of set it every time

303vs909
01-08-2004, 04:17 PM
does anybody know how can I slave FL at sync mode?

DJZeMigL
02-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Please explain better what U need and what U want 2 hook up!!

Abraços Portugas,

Z

303vs909
03-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Please explain better what U need and what U want 2 hook up!!

Abraços Portugas,

Z
I need to sync a TR 909 to fruity loops - the 909 as master and fruity as slave..

DJZeMigL
04-08-2004, 11:40 AM
damn' bro I don't think U can do it just that easy, Unless I'm missing something (I might) U can't have fruity slaved 2 something else... BUT u can rewire it 2 Cubase and then cubase 2 yer 909!!!

Z

303vs909
06-08-2004, 01:27 AM
damn' bro I don't think U can do it just that easy, Unless I'm missing something (I might) U can't have fruity slaved 2 something else... BUT u can rewire it 2 Cubase and then cubase 2 yer 909!!!

Z
yeah..Fruity cant be slaved :cry: only master..Iam syncing a 909 & a 707 at fruity..

tracatak
10-08-2004, 11:07 PM
does fruity have a way to reverse a sample add an effect liek reverb...then reverse it again..so it saves the reverb effect stays in teh reversed mode not reverb on the forward version as if u never revrsed it..that make sense..it werks in soundforge... :rambo:

Barely Human
11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Yes, put your sample in, open the channel properties, reverse it, add fx, render as wav, insert new wav into a sampler, open channel properties, reverse.... :cool:

tracatak
12-08-2004, 12:30 AM
thanks IQ i got it to werk...def werks well..hey is EXPORT-WAV the same thing u said as RENDER AS WAV?

DJZeMig_L
13-08-2004, 01:17 PM
yep

tracatak
13-08-2004, 10:49 PM
ty ze

278d7e64a374de26f==