PDA

View Full Version : How to get the REGIS shuffle/ flam rare triplet feeling?

analfreaked
14-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi all;

I am new to this great forum and I´ve been collection analogue gear and producing all over 8 years.

My question is,

I just can´t get that strange flam/ triplet kind of feeling that Regis/Surgeon get on their drums of their last records

I am been using logic for 4 years now, I mastered the shuffle function by far with my 909 but now it seems trickier.

Thanks in advice ,folks

I know that there is a bug on Logic quantize as it only affects to the second bar ( as I saw in sonikmatter)

p.p.d.d. Greetings to ZE MigL nice stuff yours!

g
14-07-2004, 08:48 AM
damnit, go ask this on LD will ya??

heh.. sorry, couldn't resist ;)

analfreaked
14-07-2004, 04:27 PM
[quote="g"]damnit, go ask this on LD will ya??

Whaaaaaaaat?

g
14-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Little Detroit, DJ & Production Technology [East Side] forum

analfreaked
14-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I post wherever I want to, you wise pr*ck

professor
14-07-2004, 09:44 PM
so quick to jump!
problem with written responses is that you can never show real sarcasm (or other emotion), if it does exist...
g could'a been joking here...and you called him a wise prick?

analfreaked
14-07-2004, 10:06 PM
It sounded like a provocation or insult ,translated to my languaje.

Especially since instead of giving me an anwser or being shuted up, he recommneds me to post t another forum. Sorry, if it doesn´t mean to be a wise pr*ck,What is it?

Now instead of polemic childrenes,please give me advices.

Thanks

slavestudios
14-07-2004, 11:12 PM
c'mon, wheres the love ;)

i think its just down to clever programming & use of delay on Regis part.

i think...

g
14-07-2004, 11:53 PM
yes it was a joke. it was a joke BECAUSE you (or someone who just happens to coincidentally call themself analfreak...) recently posted this same question on LD. something i thought would have been obvious. sounded like a provocation or insult, eh. so in your language provocations and insults are accompanied by "sorry, couldn't resist ;)"?

good to know.

John Ferraris
15-07-2004, 01:39 AM
:eh:

analfreaked
15-07-2004, 05:45 AM
I don't know, I don't speak english very well ,but I can tell you that in the slams I use to spin, if someone talks to another guy that way, he goes straight to the floor(or the hospital) Sorry but the south is the south!

About the Regis stuff, and don't guess that delay is the key,there are some Mark Broom as Rue East records with the same groove/quantize and the sounds are dry( without any fx)

And Analfreak is me,I posted this here too since some guy from that forum told me about this forum,go there and see it by yourself

Dustin Zahn
15-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Actually...I think its drums from other sources (industrial, experimental, etc.) that are placed in the track without and real quantization, layered and layered...I think that's how you get the really floaty and rapid feel. I just did it on a recent remix and got real similar results.

slavestudios
15-07-2004, 02:25 PM
well, u can run a hat thru a delay unit on insert points & push the mix to 100% wet with very lil feedback then using the timin to slew the sound either way. that works btw

DJZeMig_L
15-07-2004, 03:13 PM
maybe some bit redution, sometime it makes things sound like they're slightly slown down.. give it a go in Ableton Live as it has just the thing ...

I would say that some sounds are place and quantized 2 triplets or 64th positions, also some of the old stuff was quantised to 64 like that!

Z

MARKEG
15-07-2004, 03:21 PM
analfreaked we don't speak like that here. and definitely NOT in this production forum. in fact, i can't remember a single time when anyone in this forum flew off the handle like you in the years that it's been running! we're all here to help each other, g was having a laugh with you and you took it the wrong way. then you go talking about knocking people out and sending them to hospital. if you want to stir up shit like this, please leave the forum immediately if not, let's all apologise to each other and get back to making music ;)

analfreaked
15-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi all;

I don´t mean that I would send him or another to the hospital, I will never do that.I meant that that is the way people handle that wise answers in my block. Sorry guys!

Now another question;

I am stuck on the TR's, where can I get Regis kind drums? I own tons of drums cd and never heard anything like.

Some guy said industrial scene but I have no idead about that ...

DJZeMig_L
15-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I say let's fuc* sh*t up.... oooops jus kiddin' ... been 2 london, so U can help sucking some of that punk attitude lol

camon' guys simples misunderstanding... soon he'll fall into the Boa spirit/ black Humor!

Sorry m8, almost forgot 2 say thanks 4 the props! :)

I would look 2 standard old "real" drum samples, stuff like old "rock" drum machines and real drumset samples...

Z

Miromiric
15-07-2004, 05:58 PM
they all sampled LD, thats where the shuffled structure s comin from.

analfreaked
15-07-2004, 06:41 PM
What is LD? Little Detroit again?

or Liasons Dangereuses?

I downloaded some tracks from them and yes the white noise hat was there but no shuffle, all straight as in 80´s music

Miromiric
15-07-2004, 06:47 PM
yes its liasons. and yes there is shuffle. but its kinda weak to sample.

analfreaked
15-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Could you say me the name of the exact track?

I will try to get it

Thanks a lot man!

g
15-07-2004, 10:57 PM
And Analfreak is me,I posted this here too since some guy from that forum told me about this forum,go there and see it by yourself
ok maybe we are just having a language issue... yes, i know that was you. that was the crux of the whole good-natured joke that it was.

back to the topic, dustin's advice is very similar to my comments in the LD forum: layer layer layer. as before, i believe the sound you are looking for is the product of experimentation with quantizing, tuning, bitrate; multiple instances of the same sound, processed differently. miro is right that so much of that stuff is sampled from LeDang but it's obviously been processed to death. it's the processing you need to delve into, not the sample origin.

Miromiric
16-07-2004, 12:23 AM
miro is always right.

Liaisons Dangereuses (Hit Thing) - avant apres mort or dupont i do not remember any more.

slavestudios
16-07-2004, 12:26 AM
do u want to know how he does it or do u want your trax to sound the same ?

not a slur, jus wondering

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 02:48 AM
[quote="perpetual"]do u want to know how he does it or do u want your trax to sound the same ?

I been already asked about that... Honestly,first I want to have those sounds to try to do my own Regis quantize template, the " feeling " is the only think that I want to copy,not the sounds.(As I don´t want to be another Reeko :nono: ,When I get the trick I will replace his sampled sounds with my own similar ones

I have tons of dark strings/soundscapes tracks with TR sounds that sound "too old fashioned" and are just waiting for the " strange tripet flam " grooves

THe option to extract groove from audio both from logic or recycle never worked fine to me, I couldn´t extract any template properly, Does anybody....?

g
16-07-2004, 03:43 AM
so now we're on to dissing reeko.

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 04:14 AM
I would say that some sounds are place and quantized 2 triplets or 64th positions, also some of the old stuff was quantised to 64 like that!

I am tryng it right now with Logic, but What do you mean by 64 positions?

That I have to put the grid to 64 instead of 16?

Or the advanced quantice options ;Q-RANGE to 1/ 64 ? ( it means tiping 60 in that screen)?

sorry, I know it might sound awful but with my english...

Thanks again

jake
16-07-2004, 05:16 AM
how is sounding like regis a bad thing? the downwards sound is undoubtedly inspiration for reeko... i find that chopping up loops and using similar sounding but slightly different snare sounds and fiddle with the decay lengths does the trick with a lil delay and/or chorus/flange

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Yes, I have been all night looking for convincent snares and pitching them(
God I wish I hadn´t sold my TC Fireworx, it had an impressive pitch shifter) :cry:

I now can sound a bit like Reeko,but what about Surgeon?

Tresor 117 Force and Form, track ;Remains of What once was, another triplet or was only wise speed velocity? I never knew after those years stuck on it

I mean that quantize that has been copied to..

Tresor 117 Force and Form, track remains of wHat once was, another triplet or was only wise speed velocity? I never knew after those years stuck on it

I mean that quantize that has been copied to.. ( see Gaetano Parisio)

Any help ?

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Tresor 117 Force and Form, track remains of wHat once was, another triplet or was only wise speed velocity?

Sorry I meant midi note velocity programming

Buttman
16-07-2004, 08:22 AM
:bash:

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2004, 01:26 PM
try the grid at 64 and play/ program with that, also u can use an autoquantize 2 that grid when playing... if need slow down yer music bpm wise so u can get each position right!

Z

eyes without a face
16-07-2004, 04:44 PM
trying to emulate someone's sound for educational purposes is great... but i think that maybe u should spend ur time trying to develop ur own sound and techniques instead!

i agree with Buttman, its like banging ur head against a brickwall trying to copy someone, there is always gonna be something that they've added or used that you just wont get... and as ive hinted at above, there's not much point to it!

;)

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 06:59 PM
C´mon guys, I am not a copycat, I just wanna learn all the tricks to develope my own sound, as I told you before, and quantize is something advark with logic( I think it doesn´t work properly as it did on cubase vst)

ANy of you uses it on Logic properly?

professor
16-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I've never hada problem quantizing with logic. Do you select (highlight) all of the notes to be quantized before you push the quantize button???

analfreaked
16-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Of course I do, and sometimes they move and change the sound when you change the advanced Q options in the main arrange and some others NOT
it is a curious thing.

tracatak
16-07-2004, 11:46 PM
refresh me what quantize is again..is it when u make the drum rolls go really fast..like makes the notes closer together...thanks

DJZeMig_L
17-07-2004, 08:47 AM
It's when U define a certain Time/ Musical Grid, then u grab yer notes and u make they're start shift (move) 2 the closest grid line 2 each note. It's basically a way 2 correct the timmeng of yer performance 2 absolute mechanical perfection.
Then Steinberg Introduced this concept called Groove quantise, which basically means u can program a certain delay/ advance in some grid lines so that the notes become a bit more loose and funky... aquire a certain groove!!

Hope that clears it m8,

Z

Dustin Zahn
17-07-2004, 08:50 AM
FLStudio has some really nice groove/quantization templates in their Scores folder in the program. I recommend it to everyone really. It sounds really nice with hi hats and smaller sounds. Gives it a thicker, more fluid and analog sound.

professor
17-07-2004, 06:07 PM
SWING!

analfreaked
17-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Fruity is not available for mac.

Could somebody help me with the Surgeon Quantize that I told before?

Thanks

Miromiric
17-07-2004, 08:19 PM
why not just placing snare few miliseconds after the kick?

analfreaked
17-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi;

I tried with white noise snares too, but it´s not the sounds but the swing itself, I just can´t get it whatever I do

Buttman
17-07-2004, 09:24 PM
I am getting a feeling that Analfreaked is taking a piss with us.

analfreaked
17-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Again, another wise answer?

Thanks for your "help" man

analfreaked
19-07-2004, 03:50 AM

I am getting a feeling that Buttman likes men. :dontevengothere:

Buttman
19-07-2004, 08:24 AM

I am getting a feeling that Buttman likes men. :dontevengothere:

OUCH that hurts :lol:

No but really, why do you even try to make what they do? I see no practically nor theoretically good reason for that.

analfreaked
19-07-2004, 07:05 PM
It´s funny to hear from you ,another Broomie sound pupil , that thing,

Greetings from Greece

g
19-07-2004, 09:34 PM
you need to listen a little more carefully.

does homophobia cause earwax build-up maybe?

analfreaked
19-07-2004, 09:43 PM
That I am from Greece doesn´t mean that I practice " Greek" too often :clap:

Another question regarding this Why all the Regis tracks does reference to homos? eg It´s a man world,Penetration,get on your knees, the Female producer,etc

Just curious

Buttman
19-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Another question regarding this Why all the Regis tracks does reference to homos? eg It´s a man world,Penetration,get on your knees, the Female producer,etc

Just curious

I got it explained as the "pink pound".
I will not elaborate.

What am I a pupil of you say?

professor
19-07-2004, 10:19 PM
re-dick-u-lous.

now what were we talking about? oh yah, why not just sample some surgeon and/or regis loops and throw them in your tracks?
"thumbs up!"
WORD!

professor
19-07-2004, 10:19 PM
i couldn't resist

analfreaked
19-07-2004, 10:49 PM
I got it explained as the "pink pound".

What is the "pink pound"? sorry

What am I a pupil of you say?[/quote]
Birmingham sound

Buttman
19-07-2004, 11:53 PM
What is the "pink pound"? sorry

Birmingham sound

I said I will not explain.

A pupil of the Birmingham sound?
Why is that so?

DJZeMig_L
20-07-2004, 03:10 AM
c'mon guys,

Stop it! If very natural 2 try and understand how a certain producer did that sound/ sequence, etc... We've all been there.

Z

analfreaked
20-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Stop it! If very natural 2 try and understand how a certain producer did that sound/ sequence, etc... We've all been there.

Thanks Z,the only " unnatural " guys are those men,What can you expect of one guy whose avatar is a couple of men asses? ;) And only give wise answers? :roll:

Once again; Why all those Regis fag titles? Is he of the same block as those guys? :lol:

Dustin Zahn
20-07-2004, 04:41 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe he comes up with the names just to get people like you riled up? Or maybe the fact that he like suckin' a little dick here and there?

rounser
20-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe he comes up with the names just to get people like you riled up?
Reminds me of Billy Connelly calling his purple beard an "asshole detector". :lol:

(not meaning to imply anyone involved in this thread is an asshole, cept perhaps yours truly, mind you ;) )

Miromiric
20-07-2004, 09:11 AM
balcans are homophobes (read=not certain about their own sexuality).

DJZeMig_L
20-07-2004, 11:18 AM
PEOPLE...

We are here about the MUSIC... So IT's YOUR ASS and U can do with it what ever U 'damn Well Please!!! This goes for every1!

Now get back on topic pleeeeeeease...

Gay gag or Gay Lover the downwards camp does good minimal music...

I wish I could help more with the regis feeling but all I can think of is what I sugested!

Lets stick 2 topic and helping each other cause that's what we are here 4 !

Z

Col
20-07-2004, 10:30 PM
That I am from Greece doesn´t mean that I practice " Greek" too often :clap:

Just curious

:eh: i dont see how those titles can be viewed as references to homosexuality. perhaps its a case of wishful thinking on your part?

analfreaked
20-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I forgot to mention Regis and "female2“ suspicious ehhh got together a record called gay scene.

And his latest records with surgeon looks very " sadomasochist " Don´t they?

Miromiric
20-07-2004, 11:07 PM
thats just moma s boys playing tough guys whilst drinking out the hot cocoa and looking out the window during the cosy snow storm.

g
21-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I forgot to mention Regis and "female2“ suspicious ehhh got together a record called gay scene.

And his latest records with surgeon looks very " sadomasochist " Don´t they?
COULD YOU PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC
take this to http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7 if it's so damn important to you

analfreaked
21-07-2004, 08:54 PM
and the polemic goes toooooo;

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=241745#241745

Gandalf The Grey
22-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

It is a great disappointment to read such comments. Analfreaked has be warned once by admin - he will be warned no more. Off with you my boy, until you become a man and learn the ways of this board. Everyone is welcome here. Sex, race, whatever. It is is of no importance! Rejoice in our love for music!

Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,
Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather,
Reeds by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter!

Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties!
Hobbits! Ponies all! We are fond of parties.
Now let the fun begin! Let us sing together!

tracatak
25-07-2004, 06:47 PM
what does the title of this topic mean..is it a style of techno or a producer..i think this may be what i been askin to do all along..haha..

278d7e64a374de26f==