PDA

View Full Version : hip hop dj's/ techno dj's....

sash
14-07-2004, 11:58 PM
I was just wonderin if someone could tell me what makes a good hip hop dj?

I constantly hear people say "real dj's r hip hop dj's". I understand all about scratchin and what they do at the DMC championships but when it comes to a mixed set (to get the party goin on), just how technical is a hip hop set compared to a techno set?

Ive heard a few hip hop set's from so called hip hop legends and i found it weird how the tracks just cut from one track to another (ending the previous track without any sence of flow). I realise it's all about cutting and timing though. Maybe I'm just too used to the smoothness of a beat mix. Do hip hop dj's beat mix?
I think there's something i'm missing here. I don't mean this post to be a hip hop vs techno debate as i love both genres.

Any thoughts?

DJ SPUDIE
15-07-2004, 12:04 AM
I just thought that hip hop dj'ing was mixing basiclly one simple beat into another :eh:

Rhys
15-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Hip-Hop DJs beat match but tend to employ more of a cut and paste mixing style. Scratching and tricks are all well and good but if they spend 90% of the time scratching and play dull records it all get's a bit boring.

For a good example of a hip-hop 'set' try d/ling the DJ Shadow BBC Essential Mix from 2003.

sash
15-07-2004, 01:22 AM
are they known to keep the cross fader in the middle n mix with their volume faders?
It's interesting on Dave Clarke's world service techno cd, a lot of the time he will just kill a track n bang it onto the next track though it all flows so well. When i try it, it just sounds whack :cry:

sash
15-07-2004, 01:27 AM
For a good example of a hip-hop 'set' try d/ling the DJ Shadow BBC Essential Mix from 2003.

Cheers i will hunt it down :)

sash
15-07-2004, 01:30 AM
I just thought that hip hop dj'ing was mixing basiclly one simple beat into another :eh:

beat mixin or just a straight cut crossover? When they do a straight cut crossover, do they still match the speed of the tracks? Maybe not always im guessin.

Dustin Zahn
15-07-2004, 03:08 AM
Hip Hop DJs lean more towards scratching/beat-juggling/and cut and pasting tracks rather than beatmatching them most of the time. Ironically, if you want to hear a cool b-boy mix, check out Prodigy's Dirtchamber Sessions mixed by Liam Howlett, it's nothing like Prodigy at all and it has some classics. Cari Lekebusch also has a really sick b-boy set up on his set as well.

AcidBastard
15-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I was just wonderin if someone could tell me what makes a good hip hop dj?

I constantly hear people say "real dj's r hip hop dj's". I understand all about scratchin and what they do at the DMC championships but when it comes to a mixed set (to get the party goin on), just how technical is a hip hop set compared to a techno set?

Ive heard a few hip hop set's from so called hip hop legends and i found it weird how the tracks just cut from one track to another (ending the previous track without any sence of flow). I realise it's all about cutting and timing though. Maybe I'm just too used to the smoothness of a beat mix. Do hip hop dj's beat mix?
I think there's something i'm missing here. I don't mean this post to be a hip hop vs techno debate as i love both genres.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think what makes a good hip hop DJ is, well.... the only skill a hip hop dj possesses, their ability to "scratch" records into each other.
That is all a hip hop dj learns to do, and their mixing techniques makes me laugh :lol:

But seriously, when it comes to mixing two records into each other, a hip hop dj has no chance in comparing to a techno dj ;)

Esox Lucius
15-07-2004, 08:57 AM
shadow is more turntablism than a hip hop dj, check some jazzy jeff mixes for a real hip hop mix :cool:

here's a link for a jazzy jeff mix (in 2 parts)

http://massiveselector.com/mp3s/00_JazzyJeff_Summit/JazzyJeffSummitPart1.mp3

http://massiveselector.com/mp3s/01_JazzyJeff_Summit/JazzyJeffSummitPart2.mp3

both excellent :cool:

gumpy green
15-07-2004, 10:08 AM
a good hiphop dj will be able to do it all.......mix, juggle, skracth, cut an paste....the lot.

Ive heard plenty of good mixin/beatmatching from hiphop.

One that sticks in my head is qbert an MMM - they mix goldfinger(shirley bassy), a theme tune from a cowboy movie(yall know the tune if ya heard it), whilst skratching over it....brillient...

But the reason most dont beatmatch every track is cos how wants to heard 2 folk speaking at the same time....plus they would rather use higher skilled mixin processes.

gary_human
15-07-2004, 12:17 PM
You wanna check out Darlington's (UK)!! finest K-Delight

he got a few mixes available at:

http://music.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cpc_150701_vtl_artist_c15426210.html

Very original in a DJ Yoda style!!

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 03:23 PM
shadow is more turntablism than a hip hop dj, check some jazzy jeff mixes for a real hip hop mix :cool:

here's a link for a jazzy jeff mix (in 2 parts)

http://massiveselector.com/mp3s/00_JazzyJeff_Summit/JazzyJeffSummitPart1.mp3

http://massiveselector.com/mp3s/01_JazzyJeff_Summit/JazzyJeffSummitPart2.mp3

both excellent :cool:

You rock for these treats Downwards.
And a good hip hop dj is made by his track selection and access to exclusive tracks or even remixing.

Traxx
15-07-2004, 03:25 PM
the link dont work for me on those jazzy jeff sets :eh:

says it cant find the file :roll:

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 03:28 PM
the link dont work for me on those jazzy jeff sets :eh:

says it cant find the file :roll:

Grrr I spoke too soon. Dammit Downy!

Traxx
15-07-2004, 03:44 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh:

:lol: :lol:

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Where's Herman when you need him to break down this topic!

Trip Head
15-07-2004, 03:55 PM
I think a good hip hop dj needs to have a good track selection, but this applies to all genres, as a brilliant techno dj would still be poor or average when playing rubbish tunes.

Scratching is definelty good to watch, but it needs to be skillfully interwoven into the set, as just watching people beat juggle all night won't really make the party kick off!

I'd say definetly in actually mixing, a hip hop dj isn't as technical as a techno dj. I've just started mixing a bit of uk hip hop, and because of my techno backgound I immediately wanted to get the tracks in a mix. But the outro in a hip hop record is really quite short, so you have to be skillful to get the beat match in for that short period. That's why most djs just cut or scratch the kick drum of the next tune in. So most hip hop djs don't really beat match to the extent of techno djs, afterall the records are only about half as long!

I think a good hip hop dj though will keep a sense of flow in the mix through his track selection and order. But also I think the people at the parties arent' listening for mixes, they just want to jump about when a tune they like is dropped in. Whereas at a techno party, the true technoheads definetly listen for the mix, and hear when it comes in, and jump about when the dj starts cutting it up.

gumpy green
15-07-2004, 04:08 PM
I think a good hip hop dj needs to have a good track selection, but this applies to all genres, as a brilliant techno dj would still be poor or average when playing rubbish tunes.

Scratching is definelty good to watch, but it needs to be skillfully interwoven into the set, as just watching people beat juggle all night won't really make the party kick off!

I'd say definetly in actually mixing, a hip hop dj isn't as technical as a techno dj. I've just started mixing a bit of uk hip hop, and because of my techno backgound I immediately wanted to get the tracks in a mix. But the outro in a hip hop record is really quite short, so you have to be skillful to get the beat match in for that short period. That's why most djs just cut or scratch the kick drum of the next tune in. So most hip hop djs don't really beat match to the extent of techno djs, afterall the records are only about half as long!

I think a good hip hop dj though will keep a sense of flow in the mix through his track selection and order. But also I think the people at the parties arent' listening for mixes, they just want to jump about when a tune they like is dropped in. Whereas at a techno party, the true technoheads definetly listen for the mix, and hear when it comes in, and jump about when the dj starts cutting it up.

defo.

btw- anybody ever heard someone jugglin techno really well????.i aint seen it done exceptionally well yet???would like to.

not the best techno juggle but it still sounds good and defo works at a party..

jugglin nervehammer(forshaw) at 1hr18mins approx...checkit (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/SekonzliveatDogmaOct03.mp3)

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Ok dude seriously.
Stick on topic you're always promoting yourself to everyone here and it makes you look overconfident and cocky and isnt really fair to the start up djs here that you're screaming you're the best man. Just some sound advice.
Love ya Sek.

serox
15-07-2004, 04:37 PM
a friend of mine who is really into hip hop, i watch him and think its amazing what he does. I have tried and really cannot do it.

One time he was at my place and i gave him some records to mix (hardcore techno) and when i told him how to mix it (where the records should go etc) he did it perfectly. He found it very easy. He did mix it a bit too fast, but when i told him to do the mix really slow n smooth, he did and it rocked.

He could match the beats without thinking, even drop a record in without even queing it up and fixing the pitch live without it train wrecking.

:clap: :clap:

gumpy green
15-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Ok dude seriously.
Stick on topic you're always promoting yourself to everyone here and it makes you look overconfident and cocky and isnt really fair to the start up djs here that you're screaming you're the best man. Just some sound advice.
Love ya Sek.

sorry man, so does alot of folk promote shit thorugh forums.....was a bit off topic suppose.....but still a bit relevent.

i for one get alot of good stuff through this board....and only want to do the same in return.

I wasent trying to promote myself either----just show some jugglin wi techno.

and i aint the best, never said i was.....will never be.

if it wasnt me that put that post up and someone else then i dont think youd object......

T
15-07-2004, 05:02 PM
I think hip hop djing/turntablism is a hghly skilled business and great to see, watch and bop yer head to, but not necessarily what Id wanna hear on the dance floor all night. Most bad ass scratchy hip hop dj's i've seen have done etxremely intense short sets, but I think electronic music for the dance floor is mixed with a slightly different attitude/approach. Great to hear techno dj's experimenting and mixing it up but doing a 3 hour techno set involves keeping a dancefloor rockin', the beat flowing while adding something extra by mixing.

I think the best techno DJ I've seen fuse turntablist and starightforward beat mixing different styles was Claude Young a few years back. Totally broke the 4/4 up with his 2 copy action, scrtachin and geberal f***** it up on the dex.
Nice smooth beat mxing can be just as pleasant on the ear and dancefloor though.

gumpy green
15-07-2004, 05:12 PM
I think hip hop djing/turntablism is a hghly skilled business and great to see, watch and bop yer head to, but not necessarily what Id wanna hear on the dance floor all night. Most bad ass scratchy hip hop dj's i've seen have done etxremely intense short sets, but I think electronic music for the dance floor is mixed with a slightly different attitude/approach. Great to hear techno dj's experimenting and mixing it up but doing a 3 hour techno set involves keeping a dancefloor rockin', the beat flowing while adding something extra by mixing.

I think the best techno DJ I've seen fuse turntablist and starightforward beat mixing different styles was Claude Young a few years back. Totally broke the 4/4 up with his 2 copy action, scrtachin and geberal f***** it up on the dex.
Nice smooth beat mxing can be just as pleasant on the ear and dancefloor though.

yup word.........check out that set i metioned then (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/SekonzliveatDogmaOct03.mp3).

.....sorry SOS......had to be done....

just a wee bit o banter......promise ill stop it from now on....

mind you this time it is in topic cos the way T discibed mixin is my style...im still a promtin myself wanker tho.....ill admit it.

The Overfiend
15-07-2004, 05:21 PM
if it wasnt me that put that post up and someone else then i dont think youd object......

I'm the same person who told Henry to watch what he says man. I don't discriminate for a split second. Objectivity is key in my position.

borisXHL
15-07-2004, 07:02 PM
one thing here, distinguish turntablists and party djs,

turntablist can blow you away just with simple break and scratchin goin on ones and twoes
as goes for regular djs, when i take into consideration all this mixtapes ive heard the affair seems to be simple, mixin in the key i mean transitions can be simple and short but beats must match together, cuts must sound familliar u can add some nice scratchin over it but its just the addition ofcourse there are some exceptions like dj yoda from uk this sick motherf.ucka is undisputely the best if goes for pasting some samples, rearrangin things life and treats music with fun, like 50cent mixed to manamana song :lol:

Dustin Zahn
15-07-2004, 07:14 PM

We just brought him here last month. Amazing guy and an amazing DJ. I have nothing but good words for him. I brought him to the shop and he bought some records from local artists, then when we got to the party the local artists didn't know so they ended up giving him another copy of the records. Well, by the end of the night he was juggling and scratching those brand new records with his elbows and face precisely on point...and he never even listened to the tracks before!

As for beat juggling I don't see why you haven't seen it done proper before, grumpy. It's almost a rite of passage around here if you want to be considered a decent local techno DJ.

Esox Lucius
15-07-2004, 10:20 PM
techno wise, dj bone knows how to work the decks :cool:

slavestudios
15-07-2004, 10:57 PM
jugglin as in pullin the 12 back to play the same phrase over & over ?

is techno not too fast for that ?

i do a lot of trix with 2 copys (spesh when on a DJM600... u can go stellar) but not the way hip hop dj play a break & rewind while the other deck plays...

seen Bissmire do some nifty thrown & witnessed Claude about 7-8 times in belfast, but none ( and i mean none) of the locals actually juggle the way hip hop guys would.

i would play like an 8 bar intro to 'Aural Exciter' or the like & when the vocal drops, whip the fader to the other deck.. repeat this until you get a threat from a punter then let it rip :twisted:

one thing i used to do was the Mills record on Axis 'the Other day Ep' and use the track with the bif blast of white noise... had a second copy lined so when the first blast finished, drop the other copy & wind the first one back to the start & repeat this as long as i could hold it...

i never seen a hip hop dj blend 2 trax for more than 8 bars though.. except for Noise. who ius a true gentleman & music fan btw

cash Money couldnt beat match for peanuts when he played in Belfast.. :roll:

how i laughed :lol:

Stella Boy
15-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Wasn't Sims a hip hop DJ ?

Tiptoe
15-07-2004, 11:09 PM
as was davel clarke i heard. Oh and the mighty dj sy :lol:

Traxx
15-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Terrence parker come from a hip hop bakground & is the most gifted dj ive seen play (even tho it was house :roll: ) He's seriously got tricks comin out of his ears.... chech this mix where he is mixin funk disco & other shit with no beat & its perfectly in time with all the cuttin scratchin you could want...it will have you scratchin your head :clap:

CHECK IT (its the summer mix vol 1)

http://www.tfunkshun.com/media/media.php

slavestudios
15-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Sims is gifted though. tbh, i believe he blows DC away as far as technical ability is concerned. and general taste. and production...

can u tell i aint a DC fan yet ;)

BUT, its just my opinion

Tiptoe
15-07-2004, 11:22 PM
technically simms is one of the best around but just simply bores me to death.

slavestudios
16-07-2004, 12:12 AM
some of mates feel the same. they respect him but find him dull. strangley, the same guys think DC is the King...

horse. courses.

S E
16-07-2004, 12:19 AM
saw sims for the first time the other week in slovenia... and he was really good... the best dj of the night.... the line up was: Umek, Rush, Carola, Kanzyani etc etc

one of the best djs ive seen

gumpy green
16-07-2004, 08:33 AM

We just brought him here last month. Amazing guy and an amazing DJ. I have nothing but good words for him. I brought him to the shop and he bought some records from local artists, then when we got to the party the local artists didn't know so they ended up giving him another copy of the records. Well, by the end of the night he was juggling and scratching those brand new records with his elbows and face precisely on point...and he never even listened to the tracks before!

As for beat juggling I don't see why you haven't seen it done proper before, grumpy. It's almost a rite of passage around here if you want to be considered a decent local techno DJ.

Thats good to hear DZ....only person ive heard jugglin techno is dj mishima(think hes from new york) and myself....and altho it would be classed as jugglin it aint nuthing like the real juggles trurntablists like atrack/vinroc....etc...ther shit is just on anuther level.

got any links or that i could check...luv to hear it.

Dustin Zahn
16-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Well, Atrack and Vinroc are on another level all together. The DJs around here don't juggle traditionally by pulling back each record with every "hit" so to speak...but at most usually pulling one back while the other plays. I don't really know if any of the locals feature DJ mixes on the net or not. I don't really do recorded DJ mixes either. :doh:

gumpy green
16-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Well, Atrack and Vinroc are on another level all together. The DJs around here don't juggle traditionally by pulling back each record with every "hit" so to speak...but at most usually pulling one back while the other plays. I don't really know if any of the locals feature DJ mixes on the net or not. I don't really do recorded DJ mixes either. :doh:

yeh that what ive saw b4.....more just looping than juggin.....

wanna see someone juggle techno and keep the groove for dancin...one day i aim to do this well....few years to go tho..very hard.

278d7e64a374de26f==