PDA

View Full Version : Top three legends of techno?

MARKEG
17-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Who are you real legends? I just mean from the last 20 years. People who changed the face of music. List only three.

For me:

1) Juan Atkins - always will be the biggest superstar of them all for me. Sadly techno tends to forget what he did for us all. I think one of the moments where I knew music was my destiny was listening to 'No UFO's'. Juan Atkins was a visionary if ever there was one. One of the proudest moments of my life was interviewing him in 1995. I could hardly string a sentence together.

2) Jeff Mills/UR - When I first heard UR I couldn't believe it. The message in there music was so strong. Then Mills seemed to appear from the shadows. His Waveform Transmissions series was a groundbreaking point in techno music. Then of course there was his DJing. So unique, but just so damn crazy.

3) Aphex Twin - Showed me a totally new side to techno music. And opened my mind to something that I never thought was there. Listen back to some early Aphex releases and I'm just in awe at the difference. How did this man think of such greatness? Were it not for Richard James I'd still be listening to 4/4 kick drums 24/7. God you have to love this guy ;)

Louk
17-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I dont have music by those so for me it would be the following

Kay D Smith + Thomas Pogadl
D.A.V.E The Drummer
Sven Vath

you can see im really a trancer cant you

Louk

MARKEG
17-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Well YES (!!!!) because we need more than just a listing!!! Hehehe. No I'm only joking :)

No seriously everyone, a short paragraph beside what you write would be really helpful I think ;)

Louk
17-07-2004, 11:17 AM
OK

Kramer + Thomas Pogadl because they taught me a kick drum can be a sick evil twisted thing and distorted toms/bongo drums work so well over hard percussive twisted sick filth mayhem

D.A.V.E The Drummer - putting the fun back into the techno and some awesome percussion grooves and the fact he can make the most eclectic sample into something wonderful.

Sven Vath because the funky techno he plays is wicked stuff and I respect the guy as both a trance + techno producer - it's all good

Louk

Louk
17-07-2004, 11:18 AM
p.s all 3 showed me the way :)

Louk

MARKEG
17-07-2004, 11:18 AM
:)

keep going everyone!!!

NooNoo
17-07-2004, 11:23 AM
DAVE The Drummer
Jeff Mills
Lawrie Immersion

dan the acid man
17-07-2004, 11:33 AM
1; ritchie hawtin:

this guys music got me into techno, hearing substance abuse, blew me away, and iv'e never been the same person since. Also his plastikman releases are legendary, artefakts bc still get's played just about every week for me.

2; jeff mill's;

his djing is second to none, i first heard him on a radio show not long after i was starting to discover acid techno, and this guy opened my ears to a more varied selection of this music.

3; D.A.V.E the drummer;

this guy is a legend, his tracks have always had that bit of magic to them, always made for the floor, and the productuion is always spot on.
his live sets are inspiring and his dj sets are excellent.

BloodStar
17-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Glenn Wilson - great work in background of all the labels and for establishing a new standard of pumpin sound in techno releases :lol:
Mark EG - the most furious Dj sets, i could ever seen. great production. gr8 leader of BOA community :clap: :clap:
Jeff Mills can't miss in the top3

azerom04
17-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Joey Beltram - For making so many techno classics, when techno was only a glint in the eye of acid house.

Jeff Mills - I might not like him that much, but he gave techno direction when it was lost in a sea of glam house and trance. That i Salute.

Cari Lekebusch - For producing twisted dark electronic funk of the highest quality.

romelpotter
17-07-2004, 11:55 AM
my 3 are :

1) Jeff Mills - The first Mills stuff i herd was the waveform releases and it blew me away, the the liquid rooms mix came along and this has to be the one thing that has totally shaped my mixing style. I also spent 7 years getting every record off this cd. very costly :lol:

2) Carl Cox - In the early days, he totally influenced me with his old hardcore mix's. seeing him rock at cream week in and week out turned me from mainly wanting to be a rock star, to getting a pair of decks. Nobody can't say that he hasn't done a hell of a lot for techno and electronic music no matter what he is up to at the moment.

3) Voodoo@clear - What a club. To me I was so affected by this place, it defined what my Idea of a techno venue should be (on a small to med scale). Going there every week meeting everybody was something I will always look back on very fondly. To hear that it is about to start up again gives me a rush of blood to the head. :cool:

tioneb
17-07-2004, 01:06 PM
derrick may, juan atkins, kevin saunderson

the true godfathers ....

i would say they are a bit outdated and that hood, mills, hawtin would desserve some more respect becasue they succeeded in staying at the top for so many years.

MangaFish
17-07-2004, 01:18 PM
this is more a personal list than anything:

carl cox: this guy is by far, my most favourite DJ. the guy is psykic!

dave the drummer: probably the artist that features the most heavily in my mixes. nice tough clubby tunes whilst still being funky and having a groove of some sorts. and then there is the label he runs!

picotto: sad but true, BXR was the 1st label i got hooked to. i dont really lokk at his older stuff with the same passion i used to, but the guy deserves some credit for being one of the biggest influences then i was still descovering my sound. he was also the 1st DJ i ever saw play (a 6 hour set @ gatecrasher)

dirty_bass
17-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Jeff Mills: When DJing at his best he is the best, and I am priveliged to have seen him on top form. It`s a cliche to mention the guy I know, but I saw him one time, and his set just went up and up and up and up for hours. I thought I was in heaven.

Henry Cullen. Without this man`s music, I would never have taken the path into squat techno, becoming part of a rig, and then setting up a label. Maximum respect to henry.

Trent Reznor. For pure sound manipulation this guy taught me loads, and still does. He showed me you can make hard electronic music emotional beyond just anger. Mad electronic genius that he is.

Adverse
17-07-2004, 07:19 PM
legends eh? techno is old enough imo to have legends yet.

Patrick DSP
17-07-2004, 07:22 PM
legends eh? techno is old enough imo to have legends yet.

eat it mark,
stop fishing for arguments.

TRB
17-07-2004, 07:25 PM
for me is

D.A.V.E. The Drummer
Glenn Wilson
Mark EG

crazyxray
17-07-2004, 07:26 PM
1) Jeff Mills
because there is no other who plays like he did. No more words

2) Richie Hawtin
he is the one who come close to Jeff. Also a fast guy. May a bit tighter than Jeff. His productions are also just awesome. He is always 2 years infront of the others.

3) Laurent Garnier.
He have to be in this toplist. All his sets are very different and he has always the right tune in the right time.

krakp0t
17-07-2004, 08:27 PM
1. juan atkins - without model 500, i don't think we'd be having this discussion. in my mind he really was the tru progenitor of the sound. "no ufo's" came out 1985. still sounds amazing. juan was making tracks like this when mills, hood and banks were in still diapers.
"off to battle" still gives me the chills.

2. renaat vandepapeliere - founder of R&S records. i can't imagine a more influental record label in electronic music. first release was "can't get enough of your love" in 1982 by big tony when acid house was just a glint in disco's eye. R&S; miles ahead of the curve.

3. derrick may - founder transmat records. personally, i'm not that fanatical about derrick's own work, but where anyone be without his record label? so many classics - "the art of stalking", "ocean to ocean", "energy flash" etc. were it not for "strings of life" altern 8 would've never made evapor 8. props to derrick for taking over demf / movement as well.

krakp0t
17-07-2004, 08:43 PM
if i could make another list i'd put jeff mills, kevin saunderson, mad mike, sven vaeth, rob hood, joey beltram, james pennington, dave clarke, richie hawtin, chris liberator, richard d james, jay denham, carl craig and frankie bones on it too.

some tough choices there.

Buttman
17-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Liaisons Dangereuses - because they are the only people worty of the legend title.

Buttman
17-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Worthy :oops:

Miromiric
17-07-2004, 09:29 PM
thats just being copycatish.

Esox Lucius
18-07-2004, 07:31 AM
DJ Bone
Derrick May
James Pennington/Suburban night

elek7r
18-07-2004, 10:59 AM
1) chris Liberator >>
1rst super-star acid techno dj . His akkktitudd on his sets , his skills , his careeer , experience and influence into the modern underground tekno movment . A true warrior . Original root Boy .

2) Dave Clarke >>
Dave clarke is Dave clarke .. no more Words

3) Chris Liebing >>
Personal way to remix Tracks , his production style , his ownand unique stye. A real super star on german Scene.

and many m0res !

borisXHL
18-07-2004, 11:27 AM
legends of techno :> there are some fine producers but thats all

slavestudios
18-07-2004, 01:11 PM
1.Hawtin - does what he wants & breaks boundaries

2.Speedy J - the greatest live techno show on earth & the most innovative sound & producer. his music NEVER stays in the same place.

3.David Holmes - local boy done good, showed me what REAL techno was about & brought the greatest of guests to Belfast at a time when we were stuck with Cream & MoS bullshit...

Mills WAS a legend, but has lost it... sad but true :cry:

Clarke has went up his own arse... :hmm:

as for the Detroit legends, they once made great music but it aint changed an inch since 94.... :roll:

there are many more who impress me. ppl like Robert Natus & Amok & Wittekind, but will they be legends ? who knows. only time can tell...

i think there are 'soldiers' rather than legends who should be respected. Bissmires & Eddie Richards & Misjahs & Glen Wilsons.... they arent superstars but their duty to the scene is unquestionable.

and the number of grass roots players who put their money & balls on the table every week cos they believe....

THEY are the true legends

zaalmoetlos
18-07-2004, 03:04 PM
ltj Bukem - I know he isn't techno but he changed the way i listened to music round about 91 and influenced me most when i just started playing

Surgeon - He is seriously pushing boundries at the moment and love his sound along side the rest of the downward boys

Hawtin - always changing, always masterfull and always pushing boundries

and also worth mentioning, steve rachmad, laurent garnier, the advent, damon wild, steve stoll, juan atkins, cari lekebusch, adam beyer

scienceofuse
18-07-2004, 03:44 PM
It's hard to say what really makes a techno "legend", but the three most inspirational artists I've come across are:

- Derrick May - the label Transmat and his seminal tracks such as "Strings of life" or "Nude Photo"... 'nuff said... :clap:
- James Stinson aka Drexciya - constantly pushing the envelope, forever experimenting with new sounds, textures and beats... The man is truly a legend because of his dedication and his constant pursuit of something new.
- Mad Mike and Underground Resistance - for their underground spirit, their great inspirational music and their anarchist revolutionary stance... True musical rebels, always one step before everyone else while their existence is still shrouded in mystery... hehe :lol:

jonnyspeed
18-07-2004, 03:55 PM
- Chris Liberator: mainly because of his mass fame even amongst occational techno fans

- Richie Hawtin: technically and emotionally perfect - a true genius

- Crystal Distortion/Spiral Tribe: for the true meaning of rage against the machine

The Overfiend
18-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Kevin Saunderson Aka Master Reese for being on top oof his sound since day one and still being in tune with the times.

Jeff Mills for bringing a toughness to the scene, dont even front!

Matter of fact I can't limit this to three, anyone in here slaggin' the detroit crew needs to re evaluate thier approach on techno because face it without them we would not be here, period. There are different time periods of techno indeed but no matter how much we debate this all roads lead back to detroit. The forefathers in detroit may not be able to make the next hydraulix or mankind record granted but kool moe dee and doug e fresh cant make the next 50 cent album either you dig?

steelgrooves
18-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Carl Cox- This is my favorite DJ on the planet hard or funky he knows how to do it!

Adam Beyer- Beyer and Cari are really the first Techno I discovered.IMO they set the standard for techno today. Beyer with his tight drumtracks and Cari s sick twisted synth work.

Cari Lekebusch-^^^

DJMAYA
18-07-2004, 11:36 PM
1. Dave Clarke
The red series just laid down the rules for me i guess. First real piece of techno i studied and now its still right there teaching me a thing or two everytime i play it.....a techno prophecy.

2. Henry Cullen
i mean i never knew what two turntables could do before i saw this man play and id seen quite alot of djs in my country. He opened my mind so much and still does, incredible dj, top producer, top sense of humour, pioneer.

3. Chris Liberator
absolute techno pioneer and legend, his music and his energy have taught me about lifestyle and attitude, freedom, and standing up for what you believe in.
Also a massive dj and producer:)))

DJPAUZE
19-07-2004, 01:57 AM
In no particular order:

Speedy J- Comment needed?
NWA- These guys just ****in own me, made hip hop what it is today.
Dave the Drummer- I think maya said it best, one of the greatest djs out there, incredible production, very underated in my opinion.

Pauze :twisted:

groover'z
19-07-2004, 02:06 AM
3. Chris Liberator
absolute techno pioneer and legend, his music and his energy have taught me about lifestyle and attitude, freedom, and standing up for what you believe in.
Also a massive dj and producer:)))

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sunil
19-07-2004, 03:09 AM
DJ Bone
Derrick May
James Pennington/Suburban night

Hmm, DJ Bone... why?

Esox Lucius
19-07-2004, 10:03 AM
why not? might not be the first person people would think as a 'legend' but to me he is.

jonnyspeed
19-07-2004, 10:26 AM
NOT Dave Clarke.

not because he's mixed up metrosexual twat but because he always picks the wrong track on an EP to play and ain't actually very good, imo, considering his hype. Actually two of my mates are technically better and don't have bitch-tits - why ain't they famous you ask = because they refused to take coke with tossers like Dave Clarke every day and suck corporate cock - like mr Clarke.

only my opinion.

Stuart
19-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Joey Beltram - Because he's a lengend in his own right.

Frankie Knuckles - We wouldn't be were we're at today with out the likes of him and the early DJ's.

Richie Hawtins and Speedy J - I choose 2 here as the 3rd one because of how their music evolves and I love the rhythms they both produce under all their AKA's

Drumsquasher
19-07-2004, 01:09 PM
This should be no problem, let´s start with:

1. D.A.V.E the Drummer - There is no other...

2. Rowland the Bastard - Bastard mixing...

3.DJ Pierre - I was inspired by his mad mixes @ the legandary german club "Aufschwung Ost" If he had a good day, he mixed 40-50 Tracks per hour... With only 2 turntables... and perfect...

AUYA
19-07-2004, 04:59 PM
- Chris Liberator
- Henry Cullen

ncw
19-07-2004, 05:07 PM
as for the Detroit legends, they once made great music but it aint changed an inch since 94.... :roll:

Try leaving your vinyl in the sun.

Small Paul
19-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Jeff Mills - whether you like him or not, I'd say that you have to admit that he did help bring techno forward. And I've heard it to death but I still like Liquid Rooms

Chris Liberator - undisputed daddy of acid techno IMO, and has promoted the name of underground/squat/illegal parties. The stuff he and the other Liberators did in the 90s with acid techno was groundbreaking. And he's still going strong!

Henry Cullen - one of the best producer/djs/artists to come out of techno in ages. Quality dj, wicked producer and he's written some classics over the last few years. And he managed to inject a bit of fun into techno when it really needed it. He's rightly turned into quite a heavyweight these days.

Rhys
19-07-2004, 05:29 PM
NOT Dave Clarke.

not because he's mixed up metrosexual twat but because he always picks the wrong track on an EP to play and ain't actually very good, imo, considering his hype. Actually two of my mates are technically better and don't have bitch-tits - why ain't they famous you ask = because they refused to take coke with tossers like Dave Clarke every day and suck corporate cock - like mr Clarke.

only my opinion.

Have you mates made any tunes half as good as Red 2?

teknorich
19-07-2004, 05:37 PM
DJ Bone is technically excellent. Sadly he's still playing the same set as he has been for the last 5 years. (Anyone want to hear Flash - Fix???) Gone down the Mills route of just playing the same old tracks. Got tired and dull.

krakp0t
19-07-2004, 06:38 PM
http://stat.discogs.com/A/1000-1080689531.jpg

Sunil
19-07-2004, 11:34 PM
why not? might not be the first person people would think as a 'legend' but to me he is.

Fair enough. I guess I see him more as a messenger than an innovator/legend like Mills or Atkins etc.

ANDROID
20-07-2004, 12:13 AM
1. CARL COX
2. CHRIS LIBERATOR
3. DAVE THE DRUMMER

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 12:16 AM
NOT Dave Clarke.

only my opinion.

Have you mates made any tunes half as good as Red 2?

In my opinion - yes.

slavestudios
20-07-2004, 12:19 AM

Try leaving your vinyl in the sun.

why ? so they can get all warped like cheap detroit vinyl ?

pick a current Detroit 12 form any artist in Detroit. pick one from 5 years previous. can u spot the difference ? i cant. dont get me wrong, i used to love UR etc, when i started djin in 95, but nearly 10 years later its the same old same old... they aint moved or evolved.

anyway, the whole ideal of 'legend' is questionable imo. there are ppl who knock their balls in week in week out running things behind the scenes & they NEVER get the props ppl like DC do...

slavestudios
20-07-2004, 12:22 AM
the true legends are the residents the world over. week in week out, they are there without fail. paid piss all & never fail to show.

i salute them all :clap: techno, jungle, hip hop or house... whatever. THESE ppl are legends.

Stella Boy
20-07-2004, 12:25 AM
the true legends are the residents the world over. week in week out, they are there without fail. paid piss all & never fail to show.

i salute them all :clap: techno, jungle, hip hop or house... whatever. THESE ppl are legends.

:clap: :clap: - Well fukcing said.

dirty_bass
20-07-2004, 02:12 AM

i salute them all techno, jungle, hip hop or house... whatever. THESE ppl are legends.

Yes mate :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn`t be more true :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

djfurness
20-07-2004, 09:12 PM
mine would be

1) the voodoo at le bateau...unbelievable club....back when i was 15/16 this was the place to be...while everyone around me leavin school and that was gettin into scouse house and happycore....i was in here seein what a real good time is!

2) mark eg & ribbz...sorry...but if it wasnt for mark & ribbzy i may well never have found techno....back in the days when i went to every helter skelter...mark & sean were practically the only dj most of the time playing techno in the technodrome....and it took me away from bein a 15 year old happycore lover into someone amazed at this sound that was coming from the technodrome speakers....legend

3) dj rush....say what you like about rush....hes a ****in legend...his set in the voodoo in 2002 was quite possibly the best 2 hours ive ever been in a club...hes incredible....just fierce stormin techno....just what i like!

sash
21-07-2004, 12:48 AM
1) Dave Clarke - The mix he did in Melbourne 2001 changed me forever. Yeah sure he loves wearin leather pants n shitt but who cares. When he wants to, he rocks the crowd like no other, though i have seen some of his sets that sucked.

2)Vitalic - That pony ep just opened up a million doors in my brain. I can't even begin to describe the inspiration that ep gives me. Even my sister likes his tracks and she hates techno. Everyone loves Vitalic...don't they?

Lawrie Immersion - He just produces the most amazing music. I can't imagine more perfect techno. He should b locked up :)

sash
21-07-2004, 12:57 AM
sorry for postin again but i gotta give special mention to 3 other artists.

Vangelis - At the end of the film Blade Runner when the credits r rollin, that vangelis track just sounds amazing. when i was a kid in the 80's, i saw that film once and that track just sounded like the future.

The movie 'the warriors' - the music that plays throughout the film the warriors is also like future techno music or something. It's just perfect and it's made in like 1978.

Tangerine Dream - In the film 'the sorceror' starring Roy Scheider (dude from Jaws and Sea quest), Tangerine Dream just make the most amazing music. I can't describe it.

These 3 moments in my life were the beginning of techno for me.

mek
21-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Well being from California and fairly new to playing techno (about 3 years) my influences aren't as old-school.

Julian Liberator - First acid techno dj I ever saw, I saw him perform in San Francisco with Chris and Aaron, this was around the time of the earlier 4x4 releases and I had never heard anything like this set before. Being a trance dj at the time it made me realize that Techno was just more quality and had a "bigger" sound than Trance. This was the best set I've ever seen hands down.

Chris Liberator - Saw him blow it up with Aaron and Julian and got turned on to my favorite label of the first few years I played techno, Maximim Minimum. "Process Yellow" was my favorite track for about a year!

D.A.V.E. the Drummer - Once I was turned on to the SUF family of labels I started checking out his releases and getting turned on to tracks with more funk to them. I never thought electronic music could be so funky and driving at the same time.. amazing!

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 09:26 AM
1) Lawrie Immersion - No one made acid techno like the stuff he produced. The early Routemasters are fu*king awesome! None of his tunes seem to age IMO. I still go completely mental when I hear tracks like Piston, Sonar, Lock, In the forehead, etc; He seems to be able to turn his hand to all forms of techno & be amazing.

2) Helter Skelter's Technodrome - Ok, I know its not a DJ, and its only a room, but it was legendary and I heard some amazing sets there over the years, from Lenny Dee & Producer's sounds right through to Aztec & Ribbzy and M-Zone & Mark EG.

3) All at Stay Up Forever - Henry, Chris, Guy, Ant, Aaron, etc. all produce quality music, are top blokes & are like a little techno family & thats what the scene needs more of IMO.

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 10:15 AM
For once I agree wholeheartedly with MARK EG. Atkins, Mills, Aphex. Just about every strain of techno can be traced back to these people.

Anyone who mentioned Glenn Wilson, Mark EG, Immersion, any of the Liberators or DAVE the Drummer is either very badly informed or just living up to the BOA policy of unashamed sycophancy. No matter how much you like them, these people are completely insignificant in the context of this thread.

neko
21-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Anyone who mentioned Glenn Wilson, Mark EG, Immersion, any of the Liberators or DAVE the Drummer is either very badly informed or just living up to the BOA policy of unashamed sycophancy.

thats a bit harsh.
surely everyone is entitled to form their own opinions. just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean they're badly informed.

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 10:26 AM
thats a bit harsh.
surely everyone is entitled to form their own opinions. just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean they're badly informed.
What do opinions have to do with it? Of course if someone lists DTD, Liberator and Immersion as the top 3 techno legends, it's because they don't know what they're on about.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Anyone who mentioned Glenn Wilson, Mark EG, Immersion, any of the Liberators or DAVE the Drummer is either very badly informed or just living up to the BOA policy of unashamed sycophancy. No matter how much you like them, these people are completely insignificant in the context of this thread.

Who the fu*k are you to knock what myself & others have typed? The people I mentioned got me into techno, so that makes them pretty legendary in my books.

neko
21-07-2004, 10:30 AM
if you read what mark has put, it says 'who are YOUR real legends'.
so people have written who 'THEIR' legends are.
what gives you the right to come in and say they're wrong?
its not about who's right and who's wrong. i'm sure the point of this thread was for people to share their opinions with others, not for everyone to come to a decision.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Exactly! :clap:

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Not exactly at all.

The title of the thread is "Top three legends of techno?". MARK EG did not say "who are YOUR real legends" anywhere that I can see. He did say "who are you real legends" but that's meaningless. He also said "I just mean from the last 20 years. People who changed the face of music. List only three.". So I repeat, anyone who listed DTD, Liberator, Immersion etc, simply does not know what they're talking about. None of those people have changed the face of music. A temporary zit, perhaps.

And Si, who am I to knock what you and others have typed? Someone who isn't as ignorant as you and others, I suppose.

neko
21-07-2004, 10:55 AM
The title of the thread is "Top three legends of techno?". MARK EG did not say "who are YOUR real legends" anywhere that I can see. He did say "who are you real legends" but that's meaningless.

that was obviously a spelling mistake.
as far as i can see, you're the only ignorant one around here.
i havent posted in this thread because quite simply i havent liked techno long enough to decide who my real legends are. but if i'm quite honest, its people like yourself who deter me from posting in this thread and this section.
why does this snobbery have to exist? at the end of the day we all love music. who cares that someone elses taste is different to mine?
why cant people be a bit more open-minded?

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:01 AM
juan atkins
tony surgeon
toky and dalo

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:02 AM
why cant people be a bit more open-minded?

if they were, this wouldnt be a techno forum would it? ;)

death on a stick
It has nothing to do with snobbery and nothing to do with taste. It's a question of understanding the point of the thread. If you get all upset because someone points out a few facts you'd probably benefit from staying off forums and communicating with humans altogether, as this happens quite a lot. It's part of the thing we call life.

networkacid
And Si, who am I to knock what you and others have typed? Someone who isn't as ignorant as you and others, I suppose.

Or pretentious, or egotistical, or born old skool like you must have been :lol:

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Really? Do you want to explain why you see me and 'others' as ignorant? You do that, and I'll explain why I think YOU have an attitude problem. Why do you feel the need to say that anyone who has listed DAVE the Drummer, Lawrie Immersion, Chris Liberator, etc; doesn't know what they are talking about? Your comments always seem to be challenging someones views, like you want an arguement all the time. I typed who I see as legendary, the people & places that changed my life. Its is MY opinion. I am aloud opinions & I am aloud my own views, same as you and everyone else. YOU have your own opinions on who you see as legenday. I'm not going to diss you for what you type, so why feel the need to diss me and 'others' about what we feel on the subject matter?

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Who are you real legends?

I read that as 'Who are YOUR real legends?'

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Why do you feel the need to say that anyone who has listed DAVE the Drummer, Lawrie Immersion, Chris Liberator, etc; doesn't know what they are talking about?

too easy.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Explain then!!

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 11:26 AM
It's because they are not the top 3 legends within techno, and they have not changed the face of music, they have just added to the pile that gathers beneath those who actually have changed the face of music. Therefore, anyone who cites them as the top 3 legends in techno DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Understand now???

neko
21-07-2004, 11:27 AM
It has nothing to do with snobbery and nothing to do with taste. It's a question of understanding the point of the thread. If you get all upset because someone points out a few facts you'd probably benefit from staying off forums and communicating with humans altogether, as this happens quite a lot. It's part of the thing we call life.

so you think it is a 'fact' to say that someone is badly informed and a sycophant (sp)?
I'm sorry but I think you're the one who has misunderstood the point of the thread.
And furthermore I find your comments very insulting and belittling. This section can be daunting enough for someone like me who isnt as 'clued-up' about techno, without your pretentious attitude.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Sir yes sir! :roll:

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:29 AM

That was for Mr Death on a Stick by the way, not you Kitten! :lol:

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:30 AM
maybe they are legends of london squat party techno.

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:31 AM
london really has f*ck all to do with pure techno at this point.....

neko
21-07-2004, 11:32 AM

That was for Mr Death on a Stick by the way, not you Kitten! :lol:

:rambo: ;)

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:34 AM
maybe they are legends of london squat party techno.

Yea they are.

london really has f*ck all to do with pure techno at this point...

Is this going to go off on a "purist" techno tangent? :roll: :lol:

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:38 AM
LONDON IS A JOKE.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:38 AM
:eh:

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:46 AM
seriously though. almost all the people go out and order champagne so they can look upper crusty, they go to some "superclub" and drop some of whatever the next trendy pill stamp is, and dance to jim masters and crap like this all night.

the rest go roll around in human waste in "squats" and listen to the next "big choon" with a 16 bar breakdown and some "clever" vocal sample from a film or tv show.... thinking all the while that they are sooooo underground.

London is a patchwork of rip offs from the worst segments of almost every culture.

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 11:48 AM
so you think it is a 'fact' to say that someone is badly informed and a sycophant (sp)?
If it's true, then yes, of course!! Why would it be anything else? What's the point of your question? If you feel insulted and belittled because I choose not to ignore the reality of a situation, I really don't think moaning at me about it is going to improve your perspective, or mine.

and deafmosaic, I really don't need your support on this one. Going on about "pure" techno and saying London is a joke relegates you to the dummies' corner along with people who think Glenn Wilson is one of the top 3 legends in techno.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Whats the problem with London / Acid techno? It got me listening to other forms of techno. It was a stepping stone for me.

gunjack
21-07-2004, 11:55 AM
who said i was supporting you? shit, you can eat polla too for all i care. :love:

btw, "relegates" ??????

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 11:59 AM
OK thanks.

rel·e·gate
tr.v. rel·e·gat·ed, rel·e·gat·ing, rel·e·gates

To assign to an obscure place, position, or condition.
To assign to a particular class or category; classify.
To refer or assign (a matter or task, for example) for decision or action.
To send to a place of exile; banish.

Eddie
21-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Dave Clarke :- Got me into techno in 2000, am yet to hear him play a bad set.
Surgeon:- For his ableton live/ final scratch sets, possible some of the best sets i have ever heard.
Jeff mills:- Wasnt really a massive fan and thought he was highly over rated until sonar.

Right now how interesting was that? Am sure everyone of those names have appeared in this post 3 or more times each. Fair play to everyone who has listed Glen wilson or the Liberators, and although they may not be a legend to everyone they still may be to some people.

I did not notice your top 3 techno legends death on a stick?

G-whizz
21-07-2004, 12:05 PM
seriously though. almost all the people go out and order champagne so they can look upper crusty, they go to some "superclub" and drop some of whatever the next trendy pill stamp is, and dance to jim masters and crap like this all night.

the rest go roll around in human waste in "squats" and listen to the next "big choon" with a 16 bar breakdown and some "clever" vocal sample from a film or tv show.... thinking all the while that they are sooooo underground.

London is a patchwork of rip offs from the worst segments of almost every culture.

I see you make it over here quite alot then aye ...

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 12:09 PM
You should probably pay more attention then, but don't worry, you're not the only one.

Whoever got you into techno seems slightly irrelevent to me. In fact, this whole thread should probably have been locked after the first post, as MARK EG already answered his own question!

gunjack
21-07-2004, 12:10 PM
OK thanks.

rel·e·gate
tr.v. rel·e·gat·ed, rel·e·gat·ing, rel·e·gates

To assign to an obscure place, position, or condition.
To assign to a particular class or category; classify.
To refer or assign (a matter or task, for example) for decision or action.
To send to a place of exile; banish.

http://www.templeofblood.com/~ncc386/ubb_images/arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

neko
21-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I could try and explain the point of the thread til I'm blue in the face death on a stick, but you've already made your mind up so what would be the point?
it seems to me that you're just looking for an argument, in which case i'm not going to participate further in this thread. I come on here to chat to like-minded people, not argue.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Word!

Eddie
21-07-2004, 12:17 PM
You should probably pay more attention then, but don't worry, you're not the only one.

Whoever got you into techno seems slightly irrelevent to me. In fact, this whole thread should probably have been locked after the first post, as MARK EG already answered his own question!
It may be irrelavant to you but it is not to me, he introduced me to techno so he will always be a legend in my books, so who are YOUR legends? All i have seen you do is slate people for what they have put and agree with mark on the detroit boys.

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 12:39 PM
It may be irrelavant to you but it is not to me, he introduced me to techno so he will always be a legend in my books, so who are YOUR legends? All i have seen you do is slate people for what they have put and agree with mark on the detroit boys.
Jeeez!!! Let me try and spell it out for you...

I agreed with MARK EG because Atkins, Mills and Aphex are the top 3 "legends" within the field of techno. Aphex is not a "detroit boy", he's from Cornwall...but along with Mills and Atkins you can take just about any modern techno record and work your way back to one of these 3 people. That's it. What Dave Clarke or Laurie Immersion or Geezer or any of the industrial bods or Sven Vath or whoever else did is all very much secondary to this. Who your favourite producer, or whichever DJ introduced you to techno is entirely IRRELEVANT.

These are the people who have had the biggest influence on techno as it is today. Arguably Mills has shaped techno more than any other person, but Atkins paved the way. Aphex exploded the whole thing completely. They all did this many years ago, and to an extent everyone else is following in their footsteps, however much individuality they are doing it with.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Top Three Legends

Subhead

Frankie Bones

Saskia Slegers

The Divide
21-07-2004, 01:36 PM
You could say that the likes of Steve Reich, Stockhausen deserve a legendry status. Fair play I guess it’s easier to categorize these people as legends of 'electronic music' but they did set the ball rolling for the likes of Jeff Mills and so on. Shit how about Kraftwerk? :lol: Jeff Mills took the previous ‘electronic music’ influences and helped style a genre of techno

Underground Resistance shaped a sound of there own. Not sure how long they have been around for mind you?

Aphex twin took the rule book and reinvented it. Has he been around that long tho? Seriously I dont know. How long has he been around? Pioneer or legend? Or does it matter?

:doh:

I would like to add Joey Beltram to this list. I think his contribution to the techno scene in the late eighties and early nineties deserves a mention.

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Aphex twin took the rule book and reinvented it. Has he been around that long tho? Seriously I dont know. How long has he been around? Pioneer or legend? Or does it matter?
Aphex is both. His first record came out in 1991 I think, and still sounds incredible, far better than anything the London acid scene has ever produced. His stuff in the late 90s and since has been patchy to say the least, but his seeds were already sown, we hear his influence in a huge segment of all electronic/techno music in one way or another, and that's why he has that status.

dirty_bass
21-07-2004, 05:06 PM
[/quote]It's because they are not the top 3 legends within techno, and they have not changed the face of music, they have just added to the pile that gathers beneath those who actually have changed the face of music. Therefore, anyone who cites them as the top 3 legends in techno DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Understand now???

That`s a bit worng mate and based on opinion more than fact.

The SUF collective were part of a burgeoning new scene within the uk, of free parties.
This scene exploded, ending in the HUGE party of castlemorton, that had a major contribution to the law changing in the uk. (so, here is one example of how they changed, or were part of, chang in music).

The music they made, was a new type of techno, that had a raw edge, with more attitude, and aimed more at the dance floor than the head. People heard it, and went nuts. Thousands of people started going to squat parties, at their height, the free parties in london were pulling from about 1 - 3 thousand people a week in london alone.
The music pulled in people from hard house, trance, psi, all sorts, gathered together dancing to the sound of acid techno.
This scene then exploded across the world, giving rise to techno sound systems and parties everywhere, put on by the people who had come to london and experienced the acid techno parties.
The fledgling techno scene of Brasil is a good example of the influence these guys had.
Chris, Henry, Lawrie etc, had a huge effect on the music and how it changed. They were there at the beginning, created a new style of techno, and influenced boat loads of people, to make techno, or to get into techno. And still have an effect today, the forming of curve pusher and curve pressings being another way they have affected the music, and the scene.
Now I`m not really into the London Acid techno sound any more, but I would definitely say these guys could count as legends, within the niche that is techno. And to call their effect nothing more than a "zit" is a comment made without any fact or intelligence.

dirty_bass
21-07-2004, 05:07 PM
damn quote buttons

G-whizz
21-07-2004, 05:11 PM
It's because they are not the top 3 legends within techno, and they have not changed the face of music, they have just added to the pile that gathers beneath those who actually have changed the face of music. Therefore, anyone who cites them as the top 3 legends in techno DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Understand now???

The SUF collective were part of a burgeoning new scene within the uk, of free parties.
This scene exploded, ending in the HUGE party of castlemorton, that had a major contribution to the law changing in the uk. (so, here is one example of how they changed, or were part of, chang in music).

The music they made, was a new type of techno, that had a raw edge, with more attitude, and aimed more at the dance floor than the head. People heard it, and went nuts. Thousands of people started going to squat parties, at their height, the free parties in london were pulling from about 1 - 3 thousand people a week in london alone.
The music pulled in people from hard house, trance, psi, all sorts, gathered together dancing to the sound of acid techno.
This scene then exploded across the world, giving rise to techno sound systems and parties everywhere, put on by the people who had come to london and experienced the acid techno parties.
The fledgling techno scene of Brasil is a good example of the influence these guys had.
Chris, Henry, Lawrie etc, had a huge effect on the music and how it changed. They were there at the beginning, created a new style of techno, and influenced boat loads of people, to make techno, or to get into techno. And still have an effect today, the forming of curve pusher and curve pressings being another way they have affected the music, and the scene.
Now I`m not really into the London Acid techno sound any more, but I would definitely say these guys could count as legends, within the niche that is techno. And to call their effect nothing more than a "zit" is a comment made without any fact or intelligence.
[/quote]

:clap: :clap:

nicely done mate !

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Just thought - surprised noones mentioned Spiral Tribe.

I don't think you can argue that Liberators haven't had an influence DOAS - even if they haven't influenced you - I've met no end of people who will say 'Ah Liberators' if they find out you like techno.

An ex of mine thought they were all brothers with the same surname. Sweet (but dumb)

Adverse
21-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Jeeez!!! Let me try and spell it out for you...

I agreed with MARK EG because Atkins, Mills and Aphex are the top 3 "legends" within the field of techno. Aphex is not a "detroit boy", he's from Cornwall...but along with Mills and Atkins you can take just about any modern techno record and work your way back to one of these 3 people. That's it. What Dave Clarke or Laurie Immersion or Geezer or any of the industrial bods or Sven Vath or whoever else did is all very much secondary to this. Who your favourite producer, or whichever DJ introduced you to techno is entirely IRRELEVANT.

These are the people who have had the biggest influence on techno as it is today. Arguably Mills has shaped techno more than any other person, but Atkins paved the way. Aphex exploded the whole thing completely. They all did this many years ago, and to an extent everyone else is following in their footsteps, however much individuality they are doing it with.

****ing a. thank you mr. death.

AUYA
21-07-2004, 06:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: from Brasil!!!

Nice example!!!

Take a look at these pics and see what they done down here!!!
http://www.spgroove.com/foto_festa.asp?id_evento=14

Understand now???

:clap: :clap:

nicely done mate ![/quote]

dirty_bass
21-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Really the legend to me aren`t anyone in techno.
I got into techno via Industrial, throbbing gristle, kraftwerk, kodeIV, Swans, Voltair etc, and they come from the Sturm and Drang origination of electronica, rather than atkins etc, who come from the house origins.
So I would say personally, Atkins and Aphex, have no effect on me whatsoever, so are NOT legends to me.
This whole topic is subjective, their is no answer any more valid than any other.
The real legends are people like Bob Moog and co, for inventing the early and crazy synthesisers and drum machines.

Ahhhh good old compurhythm.

conflict
21-07-2004, 06:48 PM
top 3 legends for me would have to be (in no order)

carl cox
easygroove
adam beyer

had to include easygroove cos he was the number 1 techno dread!!

Frank Dogshit
21-07-2004, 08:03 PM
what have you started here mark?? :doh: ;)

for me..

carl cox,my first steps into techno listening to my sisters tapes from park hall,angels and bowlers as a young lad.

richie hawtin,as someone else said his musics evolving all the time,also decks fx 909 and closer to the edit have had a massive influence on me.

dj rush,1st visit to the orbit and he was on battering it out like ive never heard techno before.

slavestudios
21-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Atkins, Mills & Aphex ?

Glen wilson STARTED the Swedish scene DOAS, so, to me he is a legend in his own right. he went there & opened the 1st record store & got Beyer into techno. if that doesnt deserve a medal of honour, i dont know what does.

DOAS, not everyone is you. DTD has moved his sound more in the last year than Mills has in his entire career...

and what about Trax Records ? no mention of them. or Basic Channel. or Rob Hood. or The Chicago & New York jack pioneers. Ron Trent was droppin records with a drumachine under them in 85 ffs... long before Aphex kicked off.

and Marshall Jefferson...

some of your views are subjective & your own, which is fine, but TELLING other ppl who they should respect & hold dear is insane...

Trent Reznor gave me more of a flavour for hard angry electronic music than anyone else, but i guess that dont matter a jot to you...

groover'z
22-07-2004, 12:28 AM
OK so if the SUF crew is not a legend now, they will be in the future...
Go on Chris, Henry, Guy, Ant, Aaron, don't forget Aaron...

davethedrummer
22-07-2004, 01:59 AM
chas n' dave
sex pistols
r.d.f.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 03:34 AM

Understand now???

I just had to repost this cos I ****ed it up last time and it looked like I had made the shitty comment at the top :doh:

Must remember to use the preview button. :roll:

Dustin Zahn
22-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Glen wilson STARTED the Swedish scene DOAS, so, to me he is a legend in his own right. he went there & opened the 1st record store & got Beyer into techno. if that doesnt deserve a medal of honour, i dont know what does.

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe he doesn't have hits like strings of life or the bells, but he got the swedes started off on the right foot. If it wasn't him doing that a lot of techno wouldn't be the way it is today (which is a good or a bad thing, it's a touchy subject that we shouldn't deal with at this time).

Determining the exact roots of techno is pointless.
It was happening with so many people all over the world at various times that it wasn't just one or two guys who made things happen. It was this combination of people from different backgrounds all doing shit at the same time. So, quit giving credit to a few sole people even though some had a lot more to do with its roots than others.

Legends are generally an opinion.
One person's top 3 techno legends will obviously differ from anothers. Knocking them for their choices isn't really fair, even if they are wrong and as stupid as a box of rocks.

I will say that having the opportunity to go to Detroit, listening to tales for the old schoolers, and getting to hear the classics in their own environment really does put it into perspective why the music is timeless. I didn't really understand the Detroit hype at first, but it's much clearer now. Unfortunately, Detroit people are subjected to this stuff all the time so it seems they've grown tired of it and lost the whole idea behind it.

G-whizz
22-07-2004, 09:42 AM
top 3 legends for me would have to be (in no order)

carl cox
easygroove
adam beyer

had to include easygroove cos he was the number 1 techno dread!!

Easygroove was wicked !
my mate still got this tape of him where he started off with some ambient trance sort of stuff and built it all the way up to hardcore techno ...
love that tape and still listen to it now :)

G-whizz
22-07-2004, 09:46 AM
OK so if the SUF crew is not a legend now, they will be in the future...
Go on Chris, Henry, Guy, Ant, Aaron, don't forget Aaron...

and Julian ;) :lol:

tioneb
22-07-2004, 12:54 PM

Like it was said, its very hard to find a unique root to techno. If there is one, well almost everybody will agree it comes from detroit, whoever is assciated to this city. Ill also add Aphew Twin, though he came a bit later, but he DID innovate.

Th thing about all these london techno people : they are certainly lengends to their fans, but as said death on a stick, they got some inspiration from the earlier techno artists, whoever they are. I dont say they were their only influnce of course.

So thats it, though some originators of techno have become weak since that time, that's THEM who are hte true techno legends. An ingoring that, IS ignorance.

So for the London techno fans, dont feel frustrated of this. Keep beleiving in your own legends, but as death on a stick, you are ignoring a part of techno. And ingoring means "purposely disconsider" and not "not being aware of".

So to concluse let's stop this fith. I think everyone has agreed there are some people who orginated techno, though the list will be over than 3 people. But saying death on a stick is pretentious is a shitty attitude. Is it the only argument you have found to say what he says is not valuable ???? Do you have to consider the people's attitude to explain you disagree with waht they say.

Hey come on, human behaving and musical tastes have nothing to do. So please lets stop fights, we are here to share ideas and respect what each other says.

MARKEG
22-07-2004, 01:45 PM
just not happy about some of the arguments here. i wish certain people would just chill out :rambo:

anyway. if you took practically all the names listed here by everyone and listed them one after each other it would probably read as a great little intro to someone not into techno wanting to find out about people who've found there own niche within certain areas of the sound. people who done more than your average techno producer/dj and really influenced alot of people. fair play to absolutely EVERYONE mentioned here.

i don't think however it would read as a list of techno 'legends'. ie people who, in 100 years time, will be in the history books when someone describes 'techno music at the turn of the 21st Century'. i've mentioned why Mills, Atkins and Aphex are legends, but this topic has always made me think. especially with all the arguments. to a certain extent, these three are the ultimate commercial legends of techno.

if you track all techno music back, it will always boil down to atkins. if you take all hardness, attitude or atmosphere in techno music, it will always go through mills. and if you take all the mad wierdness in techno it will always trace back to aphex. and these are the three factors that make up alot of the music we discuss on this board. and these factors apply to most strains of modern day techno music whatever style it is.

so no matter what techno you are into, these three have influenced it. that's why to me they are the real legends. not the libs, not dave clarke and certainly not me (hehe - maybe one day eh).

it all depends how you read the question. if we're talking 'your' hereos of techno (which is how alot of you read this) then well, those we some interesting answers and it's nice to see who's been influenced by what. but to be fair i really did mean true pioneers/legends. anyway the damage has been done, i really should have written the question better but hey, this is turning into quite a good thread anyway! let's keep going ;)

Gloomy
22-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Like somebody before me said it's pointless to say what's right whats not so I'll just post my favs and write down why. if u like it ok if no than I don't give a ..... ;) (sorry mark)

1. DJ RUSH (everybody is talking about detroit... i say CHICAGO... him and armani were making some seriouselly wicked drum trax way back & I belive rush defines the deviancy in techno with his vocal shit & hard beats)

2. GLENN WILSON (needless to say why I belive so i'll just say PLANET RHYTHM)

3. SPEEDY J (everything he did from the begining of the 90's till now is just wicked and I ain't just talking about dance oriented shit I'm talking about the experimental stuff aswell)

that's it :)

peace

ncw
22-07-2004, 03:06 PM
if you track all techno music back, it will always boil down to atkins. if you take all hardness, attitude or atmosphere in techno music, it will always go through mills. and if you take all the mad wierdness in techno it will always trace back to aphex.

Don't think that you can really expect to get away with such a generalising comment, do ya? All points are very disputable.

OK, firstly - Atkins did not single handedly invent techno, it is disputable (and disputed, read Dan Sicko's Techno Rebels) that No UFO's was really techno, in intentions or outcome. Nude Photo is often cited as the first "real" techno track. Thats by the by. The fact is that there were many people in Detroit at that time making music that later became identifyable with techno, and just cos Atkins was a little older and releasing music first doesn't mean he can be hailed a techno "legend". Maybe in other ways he can, but Derrick May, and more so Kevin Saunderson were instrumental in taking the music to a global audience and being influential - May through his DJing, Saunderson through Innercity.

Mills I will agree with you on, although not using the universal terms you use. He was the biggest influence on the techno scene in the UK, many current "stars" took direct influence from his performances and began their own techno adventure, e.g Surgeon, Ruskin, Oliver Ho, Max Duley, Rob Alcock. Mills brought techno to Europe in a major way, and I think he continues to maintain high standards (thats another debate though).

Aphex? Well, considering that he was making what were in effect mutant forms of hardcore, Detroit Techno, Acid House, and nothing too "weird", at least, it wouldn't necessarily bend your mind anymore than other stuff that was about. So, he's traceable back to Detroit as well. By the time he started doing stuff that was properly far out (apart from Selected Ambient Works vol.2 from 1994) Warp Records had already established it's weird shit clientelle. In terms of the freaky shit thats about now, Warp as a collective has had a much bigger impact than Aphex.

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 04:06 PM
and if you take all the mad wierdness in techno it will always trace back to aphex

I kinda agree with everything apart from this comment, which is based on your own respect for aphex, and not really in fact.
When he start outed he was merely a poor carbon copy of the european mad electronic industrial noise producers, and true experimental electronik body music had been going on since the late 70`s and early 80`s, so his sound can be traced back to Throbbing Gristle, and possibly NON, Clock DVA etc

But this is all subjective, we all have our own legends, and this question is subjective, their is no true answer. You can keep tracing things back, until really you end up with the inventors of the equipment.

serox
22-07-2004, 04:11 PM
hard to name 3 people, but here goes

kraftwerk
ahpex twin
marc acardipane

azerom04
22-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Don't you have to be dead to make legend status or at least not doing what gives you potential legend status.

If this is true, I don't think any of the names mentioned here would make it. YET!

These people may have made some genius music or played some legendary sets.

But at the end of the day they are still practising what they preach and in this modern day of music you are only as good as your last single or set.

MARKEG
23-07-2004, 01:57 AM
> until really you end up with the inventors of the equipment.

TOTALLY! :lol:

dreadnought
23-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Kraftwerk - Made music 20 years ago that still sounds a million times more futuristic than anything made today. Influenced nearly all the big name Detroit boys. Listen to It's more fun to compute - proper dark electro. In fact the whole computer world album is seminal.

Jeff Mills - Enough has already been said but he brought a hip hop style to playing techno that revitalised it. As a producer totally rewrote the rulebook in the mid nineties and has written a ton of classics. Has spawned a horde of imitators.

Warp Records - Label that inspired, put out, influenced a generation of artists and labels. Slightly off the boil now but are an integral part of the vast pantheon of electronic music.

The Overfiend
23-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Clock DVA

Havent heard that name in a brutally long time.

dirty_bass
23-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Havent heard that name in a brutally long time.

Hehe

the thing is, I picked up a mint copy of Clock DVA`s "Sound Mirror" 12"
this week. From a fine boutique in london that stocks loads of experimental and industrial.
I`ve been listening to it. And it`s feckin excellent.
Then I stuck on BMB stuff. And thought, hmmmm is techno really going forwards any more?
The Sound Mirror EP was made in 1989 and sounds fresher than the new makaton stuff.

278d7e64a374de26f==