PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Audio Software

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 12:33 AM
how's linux set-up for audio software?

kinda thinking of it as a platform - anybody got any links, news, advice?

ta...

jonny

TechMouse
20-07-2004, 01:38 AM
From what I understand VST is poorly supported on Linux.

That is, there is a version of VST available, but Steinberg don't want to licence it for inclusion in any sequencers etc. for Linux. Which is fair enough, given most of them are open source.

All that said, there is some very good / interesting software available (mostly for free... have a poke around on freshmeat (http://freshmeat.net) if you're interested), and the OS is rock solid compared to Windows.

slavestudios
20-07-2004, 01:41 AM
FS runs on Linux i think

DJZeMig_L
20-07-2004, 03:05 AM
not anymora... at least the latest versions!

Z

TechMouse
20-07-2004, 03:28 AM
FS runs on Linux i think

The initial release of FS installed itself within it's own version of Linux.
I'm not sure how well it would have operated from within any old Linux distribution.

But yeah, it's all based on the Traktor engine now, and runs under Windows.

dirty_bass
20-07-2004, 03:39 AM
It`s a shame, I`d switch to linux in a flash if audio software would run on it

g
20-07-2004, 05:28 AM
FS runs on Linux i think

The initial release of FS installed itself within it's own version of Linux.
I'm not sure how well it would have operated from within any old Linux distribution.

But yeah, it's all based on the Traktor engine now, and runs under Windows.
yep, it was embedded linux, not an actual distro
and technically the first version of fs was on Be ;)

mux
20-07-2004, 06:50 AM
I've been using Linux exclusively for about ten years now, and professionally for about eight.

I dual boot one of my machines into Windows XP for "studio mode". This is the first Windows I've used since Win95 service pack A - skipped Win98 and Win2k altogether. :)

It's not the platform, it's the software - yeah, Windows sucks ass, but Logic and Soundforge and Wavelab are not Microsoft products. If those softwares were available for Linux, I'd use them there, but really, it's not the OS that matters, it's the music.

I've fought the Linux vs. Windows battle *faaaaaar* too many times to care much anymore. Windows just isn't enough desktop computer for me - I don't use it to check email, or surf the web, or watch media, or chat, or work (especially work), but for music there's just better software available for Windows.

xfive
20-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Muse actually just recently got win32 VSTi support.. but good luck on getting a usable latency...
And as mux said, there are far too many apps/plugins/whatever on Win and Mac and not nearly enough (functional ones) on Linux to make it a viable audio workstation. Who wants to reboot just to use a Wavelab?
One other thing to remember is audio drivers. Linux has very asstastic support for professional cards.. and even if you do find some, they are either buggy or contain only a subset of the total functionality of the device. Meh
It's hard for me to diss Linux because it is part of what I do everyday to make ends meet... but in the end... I would not be caught dead using it to make music.
Linux coders... you can still prove us wrong, but right now you are at about the level of Cubase 3.0 .... :roll:

http://lmuse.sourceforge.net/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=83

-Chris

TechMouse
20-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I'd be interested to see how well you could get audio software running through Wine.

I doubt it would work properly, but you might get something going.

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys - what a top answer!

Shame on the Linux front. I've been reading about Rosegarden - but that sounds like using an Atari

FILTERZ
22-07-2004, 10:39 AM
It`s a shame, I`d switch to linux in a flash if audio software would run on it

me to :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==