PDA

View Full Version : was i sleeping?

Adverse
20-07-2004, 03:58 AM
http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF152324-01.htm

is this techno? i'm actually asking you guys honestly.

dirty_bass
20-07-2004, 04:15 AM
sound like 90`s era spiral teknival techno to me.

dan the acid man
20-07-2004, 08:44 AM
i dont know what it's classed as, but i personally would'nt call it techno

killarava2day
20-07-2004, 09:02 AM
What's up with that crap? Sounds like Gabba V Psy?

Is this Highball's new direction, haven't liked much of their latest releases anyway.

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 05:11 PM
http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF152324-01.htm

is this techno? i'm actually asking you guys honestly.

yes, yes and yes - Thomas Nordstrom is a legend.

This is one of my favourate releases at the moment - just pop it on the decks actually - thanks for reminding me ;)

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Man! How funy is that - Juno have the recording on 45 RPM - rather than 33

No it dunt sound like that. All 4 tunes are dark as you like.

:shock: :lol:

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 05:18 PM
here's proper samples

http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platte_details.artist-Chip%20Tronic.titel-We%20Came%20In%20Ecstasy.articleid-516954.go_back-true.html

schlongfingers
20-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Man! How funy is that - Juno have the recording on 45 RPM - rather than 33
:shock: :lol:

hehe thought it seemed a biiit quick for those guys

The Divide
20-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Hahahahaha jokes. Sounds good on the right speed

dirty_bass
20-07-2004, 07:24 PM
eeek, that`s even worse at the right speed.

professor
20-07-2004, 09:15 PM
i'm with dirty bass on that

dan the acid man
20-07-2004, 10:24 PM
still not a fan

jonnyspeed
20-07-2004, 10:33 PM
you'd probably have more luck discussing this is the 'Dark/Experimental Techno Forum'

bit wonky for this side me thinks :lol:

Miromiric
20-07-2004, 11:05 PM
lol what a crap.

Tiptoe
20-07-2004, 11:10 PM
no don't like this one am affraid :nono:

The Overfiend
20-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Does this even belong here?
I'm in awe as to Highball being the label behind this.
Any one in it's defense?

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 12:47 AM
In its defence the samples in no way do 6+ minute tracks justice. The EP is just up my street and just shows the quality of Highball, imo.

A pleasent change from bang bang slushy loops that normally passes for techno releases - they make my yawn not smile and push no boundaries. The pace and programming in this EP is wonderful - maybe not to the average club-heads taste, but far from 'crap'

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 01:04 AM
There's another release from Thomas Nordstrom and Michael Forshaw called Fist of Fury on Chan'n'Mikes w/ a particularly good show on 'Hanky Panky' and 'Car wax 3000'

http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platte_details.artist-Tomas%20Nordstr%F6m.titel-Dist%20Of%20Fury%20EP.articleid-463313.go_back-true.html

Komplex
21-07-2004, 04:42 AM
****en hell, thats the worst ameteur shit i've ever heard. how do these people get signed up?

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 12:10 PM
you dissing Michael Forshaw? :shock: :lol:

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 12:35 PM
It's alright, not the best example of the style but hardly crap - jesus there's a lot of pricks on this board, all pile in and have a go because it's not quite your cupatea.

Komplex
21-07-2004, 01:12 PM

I dont really care who it is that wrote that stuff. It could have been lekebusch or liberator and I still would have said its shit.

we're all entitled to our oppinion.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 02:04 PM

I dont really care who it is that wrote that stuff. It could have been lekebusch or liberator and I still would have said its shit.

Hey you're right - I just had a listen to your 1mb sample of your live PA - I could say the same as you have about the record above - but it's generally nicer to keep on the positive tip by just leaving comments to the people that do like it, especially where something as subjective as music is concerned.

What's the point in posting a topic if you don't like something Adverse, do you lead a very dull life by any chance?

TripleX
21-07-2004, 02:14 PM
wtf dude :eh:

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 02:29 PM
wtf dude :eh:

What?

It's just my opinion after all . . .

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Opinions are almost as overrated as crap music. IMO, of course.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Opinions are almost as overrated as crap music. IMO, of course.

IMHO you arrogant ****

:lol:

death on a stick
21-07-2004, 02:38 PM
There's nothing H about my O.

ncw
21-07-2004, 02:59 PM
You Ho.

Adverse
21-07-2004, 04:14 PM

What's the point in posting a topic if you don't like something Adverse, do you lead a very dull life by any chance?

i love people like you.

Adverse
21-07-2004, 04:18 PM

my question is valid, i heard the release on the wrong speed you ****ing dwarf.

The Divide
21-07-2004, 04:20 PM
hahahahaha now now ladies

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 04:35 PM

my question is valid, i heard the release on the wrong speed you **** dwarf.

Not really - it was clear you didn't like it from the title of the topic. Wrong speed or not.

Dwarf, hmm.

Timothy.

dirty_bass
21-07-2004, 04:40 PM
What is it with these records. If they cleaned up the production, it would be better. Distortion does not make something hard.
It just makes it distorted.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 04:50 PM
What is it with these records. If they cleaned up the production, it would be better. Distortion does not make something hard.
It just makes it distorted.

Can work brilliantly sometimes, the Chan n Mikes track posted above is a good example of this - yes sometimes distortion wrecks a track, but sometimes it works well too.

Production values, I'm only impressed to a point, what counts for me is sheer inventiveness and experimentalism. Ruff sometimes sounds wicked, how many class tracks have been pressed from bad recordings? Enough to show there's more to good music than shimmering production that's for sure.

eyes without a face
21-07-2004, 05:09 PM
just had a listen to this.... and to be honest its records like this that give me hope and inspiration.... because it assures in me the fact that if people can get these tracks released then im gonna have no trouble getting my stuff out hahaha

seriously, these are imo terrible! a number of reasons, mainly the lack of any feeling in the music, lack of good ideas and mainly for me the level of production. I dont claim to have the highest standard because i dont ( i cant have!) but i wouldnt be happy putting these out.

as Dirty said, distortion doesnt make it hard, just distorted! i really really dont like these tracks and for a label as revered as Highball in the hard techno world, i find this very strange

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 05:11 PM
You listened to the Chan and Mike release EWOAF? I think it's a different story there. I can see your points on the track in question but think the TSR one that Jspeed posted is a fantastic record.

eyes without a face
21-07-2004, 05:18 PM
yes i listened to all of the tracks in the links

not impressed :(

sounds unimaginative, and "off the wall" just for the sake of it!

not good

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 05:23 PM
hmm, completely disagree - this rocks http://www.music-head.de/sounds/nph-sound.ram?labelcode=CHAN08&setno=1&trackno=2

Anyway, just have to keep going to different clubs innit. then everyone's happy.

Miromiric
21-07-2004, 05:26 PM
it all sounds to me like the crime-prod. sound they are pushing.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 05:29 PM
it all sounds to me like the crime-prod. sound they are pushing.

Crime is a relatively new label, this sounds been developing for years. Subhead and Landstrumm influenced. Who is 'they'?

Wierd though, most techno sounds to me like the dull loop sound they are pushing.

Room for everyone - I wont buy what you like, you wont buy what I like, that's all it comes down to in the end.

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 05:31 PM
I think we have to agree to disagree on whether you like it. As for whether Highball made a mistake with this release when they are so reveared in hard techno circles... hmmm... i don't think so.

eyes without a face
21-07-2004, 05:36 PM
hmm i disagree, i can see its appeal, it sounds fun etc etc

but i just dont dig it at all, the mix sounds wayyyy too busy and cluttered to me, and that bassline also reminds me of something altho i cant think what hahaha

im not putting these people down in anyway personally, i just like the music they are putting out

as someone said i think we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one!

Esox Lucius
21-07-2004, 05:48 PM
liking the first nordstrom track :cool: it's really an acquired taste...nordstrom is a fantastic producer, dist of fury on chan n mikes is awesome.

Adverse
21-07-2004, 05:56 PM

my question is valid, i heard the release on the wrong speed you **** dwarf.

Not really - it was clear you didn't like it from the title of the topic. Wrong speed or not.

twit. read the goddamn thread. i had no idea upon initially posting that it was the wrong speed. don't play that ambiguity game with me.

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Whatever :dontevengothere: if you need people on a message board to tell you what techno is, that's your issue not mine. Like it matters anyway.

Twit? Twat.

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 07:24 PM
...and breath out.

Downwards' contribution is more the spirit. And imagine a world where everybody liked the same music.

I also thout the comment about is sounding fun was exactly the point.

peace.

:cool:

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 07:32 PM
"Les Dawson, whose piano-playing delighted the nation with its missed notes and sudden mad cadences, was in fact a gifted player. The secret to doing things badly is to be able to do them brilliantly first."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/400/lesdawsonshow_1.jpg

QED ;)

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Whatever :dontevengothere: if you need people on a message board to tell you what techno is, that's your issue not mine. Like it matters anyway.

Twit? Twat.

Sorry, having had half an hour to calm down I regret saying that. Fair enough you did hear it at the wrong speed - I've just got a bit tired of coming on here recently and feeling very downhearted at comments by a few members, and it often seems to be the same people, that just pile in and say I don;t like it, I don't like it, I don't like it, It's shit, It's kids music, it's ameteur etc etc about music that I do like.

I feel the same a lot of the time about music that's posted or discussed on here, but what's the point flying in and saying it every time something I'm not into gets mentioned? Would it be a nice place to chat if every user posted 'I think it's crap' about every piece of music they didn't like? It seems really divisionary, like if everyone here was in a club there'd be small groups of trainspottery blokes huddled and slagging off every other group - sad when I know techno people aren't like that at a party.

Anyway, sorry Adverse, I'm in the wrong getting arsey at you.

Miromiric
21-07-2004, 08:30 PM
- sad when I know techno people aren't like that at a party.

http://www.djthecrow.de/Extacy.gif

schlongfingers
21-07-2004, 08:40 PM
- sad when I know techno people aren't like that at a party.

http://www.djthecrow.de/Extacy.gif

No, i don't think so Miromirc. I'd say most the parties I go to a lot of people are straight - it's when I go to a loop techno night that it's full of druggies.

Anyway, can't be bothered to rise to you, I have fun, I'm sure you do to. Enjoy your cynicism.

Adverse
21-07-2004, 08:46 PM
it's ok.. personally i don't like the music... but i'm trying to only post about things i do like.

i recind my stupidity as well. i think this topic should be locked as well. it's nonsense.

Komplex
21-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Schlongfingers, its ok that you genuinely like those tunes, you don't need to explain yourself and/or try to convince anyone. Let it go.

I personally don't like them and I'm not going to explain myself either. Its a waste of time.

People either like it or they don't. Simple as that.

Do you know of more tracks that are similar to that which we could have a listen to? (just to get the full picture)

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Do you know of more tracks that are similar to that which we could have a listen to? (just to get the full picture)

...be my pleasure:
- Cannibal Cooking Club (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.filter-alle2.sort1-titel.eq_artist-Cannibal%20Cooking%20Club.html)
- Michael Forshaw (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.pl?filter=alle2&filter=no_equpmt&suchfeld=michael+forshaw&suchbereich=alle&go.x=0&go.y=0)
- Bill Youngman (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.pl?filter=alle2&filter=no_equpmt&suchfeld=bill+youngman&suchbereich=alle&go.x=0&go.y=0)
- Mark Hawkins (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.pl?filter=alle2&filter=no_equpmt&suchfeld=mark+hawkins&suchbereich=alle&go.x=0&go.y=0)

jonnyspeed
21-07-2004, 11:19 PM
oh and not forgetting Esther Ofei (http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platten_gefunden.pl?filter=no_equpmt&suchfeld=cannibal&suchbereich=alle&ok.x=0&ok.y=0)

:love:

dirty_bass
21-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Cannibal Cooking Club
- Michael Forshaw
- Bill Youngman
- Mark Hawkins

All good stuff there. I`m into this grungey wonk, the only thing is they let themselves down quite a lot with the production. It`s like they sacrifice wackyness for clarity. I know some of it is supposed to sound lo-fi, but a happy medium can be made. Tube Jerk does this well, but his production is allways really phat and clean

slavestudios
21-07-2004, 11:58 PM
thats hatstand.

tbh, i dont like techno thats synth led, but thats just me. dont mean i think this is 'shit' or 'crap' or anything like that, but i just dont dig synth led trax...

and then theres the 'loop bashers' who are no better than anyone...

theres a lot of attitude these days... i blame the weather

:hmm:

schlongfingers
22-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Schlongfingers, its ok that you genuinely like those tunes, you don't need to explain yourself and/or try to convince anyone. Let it go.

I personally don't like them and I'm not going to explain myself either. Its a waste of time.

People either like it or they don't. Simple as that.

I understand people either like it or not, and am fine with that - I'm unhappy because I don't see any productivity in comments like 'it's shit', fine if you think its shit you think it's shit, no point saying anything really - I've overreacted here, but it's cos every single time music that's a bit rough around the edges is posted, there's a tirade of dissenters.

Anyway.. consider it left.

For music to listen to

Subhead
The Aphorism
Bill Youngman
Marcin Czubala
Ibrahim Alfa

All made some top music in the last year that's on this tip.

slavestudios
22-07-2004, 12:08 AM
i like my dirt. and i like my clean..

theres a knack to doing both...

and anyway, its all subjective...

so what if a few ppl think 'it sux pole' or whatever...

the guy who made is happy & the label liked it or they wouldnt have pressed it

;)

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Yeah, exactly, distortion can be well produced and badly produced.

jonnyspeed
22-07-2004, 01:09 AM
..and this guy is pretty impressive on the wonky grime front.

DJ Pejot - ob clubbing.pl (http://www.clubbing.pl/v3/autor_detail.php3?id=26)

well worth a visit - really long , very high bit rate mixes. Killer.

massplanck
05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
yawn. obviuosly i was sleeping to have missed out on this little ruckus.

Alot of people who slag this music (havent listened to the clip) are extremely ill informed yet sort of right at the same time but wrong really.

I'm off to do a mix to shut you cunts up...

The Overfiend
05-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Buncha lil girls sometimes, BUT LIKE WE SAID IN THE RULES OPINIONS THAT ARE CONSTRUCTIVE ARE FINE BUT BLATANT DISSES ARE NOT FOR HERE. SO GET YOUR PANTIES OUT OF THE BUNCH AND HAVE A COKE AND A SMILE AND SHUT THE F*CK UP TO ANYONE WITH THE HATEFUL SHIT> ESPECIALLY TOWARDS OTHER BOARD MEMBERS.

And yeah I'll even say this wasn't Forshaws best. So what. Did someone force you guys to buy it. NO. :evil:

278d7e64a374de26f==