PDA

View Full Version : filthy darkness

xfive
21-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Had fun with a new filter and such today :cool:
Not really done yet.. needs some more synths and tweaking. Tell me what you guys think so far tho.

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~chris/music/ecksfive_-_curb_grime-draft1.mp3

Cheers,
-Chris

dan the acid man
21-07-2004, 10:44 PM
lovely filtering, the kick is getting a little lost though behind the bassline

xfive
21-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Cheers Dan
I'll check the kick/bass out.. but on all of the speakers I have tried it on, it was quite thumping.
I'm sure a bit of sidechaining wouldn't hurt tho. Gotta do that in software unfortunately since I use my other two compressors for kick and overall mix.

Can't really do much at all with the computer though until I move next week (great!!.. new studio to get used to :headache: )

Anyone else care to try it on their speakers and let me know if they get the same results?
I have tried on my Yorkville YSM1P monitors, Yamaha YSTMS50 DJ setup, silver Sony headphones, and my Powerbook speakers :)

-Chris

dan the acid man
21-07-2004, 11:02 PM
i'll give it a go on my hi-fi speaker's tommorrow, i know them inside out, im listening on headphone's at the minute

Evil G
21-07-2004, 11:46 PM
lots of interesting sounds and rhythms in here. the sound that comes in at 4:55 made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. nice one.

i agree that the kick drum is a little muddy and could use a stronger attack.

what kind of filter did you get?

xfive
22-07-2004, 12:28 AM
heheh thanks G ;)
I'm gonna fiddle with my compression settings and see if I can't make the kick punchier.

The filter I got was one of the recent Alesis Mod-FX that was price-reduced to a healthy $35! I picked up a Philtre, Ampliton, and a Bitrman. The Bitrman hasn't arrived yet tho - backordered.
I chained the Philtre to the Ampliton so most of the crazy panning and stuff your hear is from that.
Check em out for yourself.. quite nifty little devices.. I was impressed :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040721152628012155116078052886/g=home/search/d=tp?q=mod-fx

Christ that's a long url :lol:

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 12:36 AM
There`s a lot of interesting stuff in here, but as a track I don`t think this works.
It lacks direction or groove, and seems more like you were playing with new toys.

From 4 mins on it settles down and developes a good groove.

Nice tricks and sounds, but I think it needs a direction.

The Divide
22-07-2004, 01:43 AM
I like what your trying to do. It sounds like live jam session at the moment but there’s enough elements in there to make a track out of it. It needs a proper intro/outro. Love that distorted drum sound you have going thro it. What’s that from?

I like that spooky riff at 1.40 too, horror movie styleeee

I like the filtered degradation delays and how they are been filtered like that. Its a really nice trick man. Is it me of do some of the sounds sound slightly out of synch? It could be the delays times. Mind you I am a bit tired at the mo

xfive
22-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

You're all totally right - live jam session using new toys heheh
But yeah what I wanted some feedback on were the elements - gonna slice each part into Live and do the proper thing from there... intro/outro direction etc..

The main distorted perc part is off my machinedrum - it's actually a HH I completely twisted to hell using it's params.
As far as the delays go it depends on which parts you mean. The ones off the monomachine should be spot on.. now the ones coming off the new toys may be slightly drifty because they only have tap-tempo :shock: but if anything it's only in a spot or two.
Heh but that's ok.. when I sit down to record it proper I'm going to make sure its as dead on as it can possibly be.

Thanks again, and hopefully in a week or two I can repost some more final versions, as I will be moving very soon now and can't really bother to dig into it properly the way I want to.

-Chris

278d7e64a374de26f==