PDA

View Full Version : compression of hats

da hound
21-07-2004, 01:58 PM
do you guys compress your hats one by one or do you you wack them all in a bus and compress them 2gether if so what kind of settings do you use also if any of you know any good sites on the above subject

dan the acid man
21-07-2004, 07:47 PM
i dont compress them

Basil Rush
21-07-2004, 08:46 PM
do it seperately usually, anyone got any bright ideas for making hats sound snappier and more up front, best thing I've managed to do is layer a closed hat on an open one but it's a bit hit and miss. Compressors often seem to suck the life out of the sound before it gets the nice attack I'm looking for and EQ doesn't take me all the way there either ...

Could be I just need a better set of sounds to start with!

Komplex
21-07-2004, 10:39 PM
use the right hats. take the low frequencies out of them.

if you have a muddy or distorted mix, this may be causing them to sound dull too.

make them louder :)

sash
22-07-2004, 12:20 AM
do you guys compress your hats one by one or do you you wack them all in a bus and compress them 2gether if so what kind of settings do you use also if any of you know any good sites on the above subject

I think the best advice is to just use your ears cuz if it sounds right to u, then it must be right.

or you could just add a really short reverb on your hi's, grab all your drums n compress em to make em pump. This should make ur his suck (if that's what u want).
Also depends on what software/ hardware your using. Certain equipment will add a certain character to your sound.

Start out with good sounds for sure. U can't polish a turd as they say.

Buy yourself a Urei 1176 compressor n run your drums through that :)

rounser
22-07-2004, 04:58 AM
take the low frequencies out of them.
What he said...hats can sometimes be fixed by hi passing them.

Another trick, this time to make them more rhythmic: apply an LFO to the cutoff of that filter or to the volume of the hats which oscillates on 8ths, 16ths, 32nds or whatever. DJ Shadow is fond of doing this apparently...

278d7e64a374de26f==