PDA

View Full Version : New Dark Techno Experiment

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Another Dark/Experimental Techno thing. I`m not sure where this is going, but I think it`s nearly finished.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/dirty_bass_records/tunes/A_Room_For_Suffering.mp3

Needs some advice on this one, cos I`m a bit lost with it.

Drumsquasher
22-07-2004, 09:08 AM
DonĀ“t need to do anything more on the track, it sounds completly...

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Seriously?
I`m not sure if it has enough force.

dan the acid man
22-07-2004, 09:26 PM
really unique fresh sounds in this :cool:
i did think it was missing something, bet then the voice sample kicked in and it flowed alot better, maybe bring in some little snippets of this before the rest of the sample kicks in :eh: or maybe not.
the production quality sounds as good as ever

dirty_bass
22-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Yep, your right, it needs something in the same frq range as the vox earlier on. Cheers Dan.
I think I might add a little polyrhythmic mid range riff at some point just to add a little more activity. I`ll repost when done.

yorkie
23-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I think I might add a little polyrhythmic mid range riff at some point just to add a little more activity.

my question is how often do you use polyhythms?? and for what precise reason do you use them?? is it to create a more complex percusion pattern? :?:

Spark
23-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Fresh as ****!

Very nice stuff you have here Dirty Bass! I have not alot to say.. my english is not so good.. maybe a Dirty Bass vs Spark in the future ;) :cool:

xfive
23-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Some definite prog crossover potential on this one hehe
Good stuff :)

dirty_bass
23-07-2004, 06:31 PM
my question is how often do you use polyhythms?? and for what precise reason do you use them?? is it to create a more complex percusion pattern?
These days, I find it hard to not use them. This tunes doesn`t have any, which is a rarety.
I use them for a number of reasons. Firstly in a 4x4 - 16 - 32 - 64 environment, polyrhymic parts (both percussion AND some of my lead sounds in cases) takes away some of the predictability of the formula. They also provide a kind of never ending rolling effect that drives the tunes on. Hardfloor made a carreer out of the use of 303`s and polyrhythms.
They do have their downside, they make programming a little more complicated and it makes it harder for DJ`s to mix.
Personally I mainly use em cos I found myself falling into a formula, so I`m going through an intense period of experimentation, and polyrhythms are really interesting to play with and listen too.

Evil G
23-07-2004, 06:38 PM
just curious what timings you usually use for your polyrhythms. do you play 12 steps against 16, lining up every 48 with a big drop at 96? or do you try to keep it tighter, using triplets and having things come back together more often?

dirty_bass
23-07-2004, 06:46 PM
hehe
um
I play 7 steps against 16
17 over 16
24 over 16
whatever, I just make a pattern I like, and bung it over 4x4.
I quite like having 5 bar cyclic riffs or loops over the 4 bar format as well.
At the moment I`m fighting a battle between "yeah, phuk it, that sounds nuts" and "don`t be stupid, who`s gonna listen to that".

Evil G
23-07-2004, 06:51 PM
hehe. cool. no law. ;)

dirty_bass
23-07-2004, 07:01 PM
It is a gamble, because techno is dance music. And although it`s all very nice getting away from the formula, you still need to retain some repetition, becuase it is these electronic mantra`s that lock the groove and work the dance floor. I think the problem with some experimental stuff is, that the dancefloor is forgotten, while the producer admires the inside of their own rectum.
I`m trying to reach some kind of happy medium. But it isn`t easy.

Evil G
23-07-2004, 07:13 PM
agreed. with experimental sometimes the baby goes out with the bath water. i think the beauty of techno is that when there is a solid rhythm to make you move your body, it gives the freedom to noodle around with weird noises to keep the brain interested.

dan the acid man
23-07-2004, 08:28 PM
excuse my noobish ignorance, but what exactly is a polyrhythm, is it just a polyphonic rhythm :eh:

xfive
23-07-2004, 08:54 PM
A polyrhythm is basically a complex rhythm made up of at least two or more completely different rhythms playing off of each other, simultaneously. They are usually (if not always) different time signatures.

African and Middle Eastern music tend to use a lot of polyrhythms in their music, as they hardly adhere to the same "standard" metrics as Western music does. This is what everyone was talking about above where you have to worry about which bars the patterns actually loop and land on.

There are a couple rules for how to subdivide the rhythms so that they work together properly..
A quick google search found me this, which will help explain it much better:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcz/Polyrhythm.html
And another good one:
http://fusionanomaly.net/polyrhythms.html

dan the acid man
23-07-2004, 08:58 PM
nice one, fantsastic, thanks :cool:

Evil G
23-07-2004, 09:30 PM
two (or more) patterns of different lengths played on top of each other. the first beats will only line up sometimes, and the rest of time the patterns will mingle together in strange ways.

The Overfiend
23-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Steve this is Sh*t Smoking!

Evil G
24-07-2004, 04:10 AM
finally got a chance to listen to this. it's awesome.

yorkie
26-07-2004, 11:28 AM
At the moment I`m fighting a battle between "yeah, phuk it, that sounds nuts" and "don`t be stupid, who`s gonna listen to that".

:lol: :lol: :lol: nice1

278d7e64a374de26f==