PDA

View Full Version : Is House a derivative of Techno?

rounser
22-07-2004, 05:54 AM
A comment from another board:

how on earth would house a derivative on techno?

the timelines (and sounds) are all out of whack.
Is this correct? I'm not sure whether it is or isn't...

ncw
22-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Techno in it's original form and setting was an off shoot of house.

krakp0t
23-07-2004, 05:01 PM
"how on earth would house a derivative on techno?"

i'd comment on that non-sentence if i understood what it meant.

MangaFish
23-07-2004, 07:45 PM

i was always led to believe that techno was created because a group of people got fed up with house and the arrangement of the music in house music. thus it being a completely seperate entity

i havnt researched into this though i must add. just something i saw on some TV program about early house music

romelpotter
23-07-2004, 08:26 PM
The term house was born of the "warehouse" club where the early electronic music was being played...10 inch move your body anyone !!! (b side was better nice bit of beltram :lol: )

Evil G
24-07-2004, 12:21 AM
the first time i heard the expression "house dj" i didn't know it had anything to do with the music. i thought it just meant a dj who worked for the club; analogous to the "house wine". :)

ncw
28-07-2004, 03:20 PM

i was always led to believe that techno was created because a group of people got fed up with house and the arrangement of the music in house music. thus it being a completely seperate entity

i havnt researched into this though i must add. just something i saw on some TV program about early house music

Rough idea:

House was going on in Chicago, having been born proper by 2 main DJs - Frankie Knuckles and Ron Hardy. Trax records was setup along with a couple of others, as an outlet to release "house" records being made by fanboys in their bedrooms.

Detroit = 5 hours ish drive from Chicago, there were a few isolated kids into electro, synth pop, P- Funk, and house/disco, they began making music to take to the DJs in Chicago, using mostly synthesisers and drum machines. The lack of a club scene in their home city, coupled with interest from UK journalists lead them to come up with various intellectual backdrops for their tracks, and the journalists wanted a name to put up on a banner above this music (it was at this time regarded as "Detroit House").

Juan Atkins coined the phrase "Techno", as in technological music.

To read more check out "Techno Rebels" by Dan Sicko, or "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" by someone or other.

audioinjection
09-08-2004, 03:59 PM
didnt saunderson (sp?) make the first house record?

schlongfingers
09-08-2004, 05:18 PM
didnt saunderson (sp?) make the first house record?

http://www.undergroundfiles.com/history.html - quite interesting reading. Whether true or not, I'm pretty sure Saunderson didn't make the first house record.

serox
10-09-2004, 09:11 AM

Rough idea:

House was going on in Chicago, having been born proper by 2 main DJs - Frankie Knuckles and Ron Hardy. Trax records was setup along with a couple of others, as an outlet to release "house" records being made by fanboys in their bedrooms.

Detroit = 5 hours ish drive from Chicago, there were a few isolated kids into electro, synth pop, P- Funk, and house/disco, they began making music to take to the DJs in Chicago, using mostly synthesisers and drum machines. The lack of a club scene in their home city, coupled with interest from UK journalists lead them to come up with various intellectual backdrops for their tracks, and the journalists wanted a name to put up on a banner above this music (it was at this time regarded as "Detroit House").

To read more check out "Techno Rebels" by Dan Sicko, or "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" by someone or other.

nice reads, but also check energy flash by ray renolds and also Altered state by matthew collins

MARKEG
10-09-2004, 11:14 AM
juan atkins made the first techno record ('clear')

and it's mainly believed that farley jackmaster funk made the first house record.

ncw has it 100% spot on - house was from chicago and techno was from detroit - all were made at around about the same time.

but i've interviewed both juan atkins and farley jackmaster funk and both of them were adamant that they weren't influenced by each other at all. atkins was into kraftwerk and 'spacey' sounds/obscure music. when he bought his first synth he wanted to make something that sounded like you were in space. hence titles like 'no ufo's', 'interference' and 'off to battle'. he'd read a book by alvin toffler called the techno revolution. and called his sound techno. infact, 'clear' is not a 4/4 record - it's an electro-influeced record, which makes me believe even more that juan atkins was not influenced by house.

i say farley made the first house record because that's what he told me. but it's all very controversial and may have something to do with someone nicking a tape. that's all i'm saying on the matter. if you know your shit, you know what happened ;)

i think that house and techno sort of 'grew up' together and techno did eventually become influeced by the house explosion in chicago.

ok hope that's helped.

;)

Ritzi Lee
10-09-2004, 02:34 PM
no!

acidchild
19-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Absolutely NOT! House came from Disco, Techno came from electro & funk. They had influences on eachother shortly after their inception, but neither came from the other.

networkacid
19-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Last night a DJ saved my life is an extremely well researched (and more importantly, objective!) look at the chronology, the influences, the people, the places, the labels, everything to do with the birth of both house and techno, as well as what came before (Disco is NOT a dirty word!) and I recommend everyone into electronic music or DJing reads it.

I have to say though, that something that is entirely missed is the whole industrial/electronic/new romantic/new beat scene in europe in the mid to late 80s - Some of the tracks made then are just pure techno/house/trance but totally uninfluenced by house or techno from america, more directly derived from Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, etc. and I think a lot of people ignore that entirely, which is not so good because it did have a lot to do with the whole euro techno scene that came after (as much as American house and techno did influence that scene as well) Although it could be said there was a lot of "cross-pollenization" during that time in the 80s and that it was a lot more organic than just coming from one place or another.

Evil G
19-09-2004, 05:04 PM
I have to say though, that something that is entirely missed is the whole industrial/electronic/new romantic/new beat scene in europe in the mid to late 80s - Some of the tracks made then are just pure techno/house/trance but totally uninfluenced by house or techno from america, more directly derived from Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, etc. and I think a lot of people ignore that entirely, which is not so good because it did have a lot to do with the whole euro techno scene that came after (as much as American house and techno did influence that scene as well) Although it could be said there was a lot of "cross-pollenization" during that time in the 80s and that it was a lot more organic than just coming from one place or another.

totally. a lot of the stuff i was listening to in the 80's was techno with vocals, and i didn't even realize it at the time. i hated drum machines and thought they were ruining music, but i was listening to them all along! :lol:

OriginalTechnobastard
23-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Techno has lot more in common with electro then house. I find techno to be a just little bit more chaotic and where electro is slower and has emphasis on melody rather then atmosphere like.

DEVICE
04-11-2004, 06:59 PM

Rough idea:

You know your music history. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

robin m
27-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Last night a DJ saved my life is an extremely well researched (and more importantly, objective!) look at the chronology, the influences, the people, the places, the labels, everything to do with the birth of both house and techno, as well as what came before (Disco is NOT a dirty word!) and I recommend everyone into electronic music or DJing reads it.

:clap:

I got this book as an inspired 'secret santa' present at work and it is indeed a very good read.

SlavikSvensk
27-10-2005, 07:29 PM
the chapter in "last night a dj" on techno is okay on facts, GARBAGE on analysis. the author says detroit techno was a subsection of--and lesser than--chicago house. WTF! now, i absolutely adore classic 1980s house, do not get me wrong, and in some ways, today's techno has more in common with tracks like "i've lost control" than "strings of life," but this statement is silly, especially when you consider that Cybotron's "Alleys of your Mind" came out in 1981 and "Your Love" came out in 1983, and not even on vinyl!

the fact is, both cities became aware of each other and vibed off each other starting in the mid 1980s. the detroit guys went to chicago to seel records, and bought records as well.

SlavikSvensk
27-10-2005, 07:29 PM
i do love the house and hip-hop sections of that book though...

DrewDavid
27-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Jeff Mills was producing industrial before he got on board with techno... I think Robert Hood was too.

SlavikSvensk
27-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Jeff Mills was producing industrial before he got on board with techno...

holy sh*t dude...my friend got this record by a detroit rapper named smiley that was produced by jeff mills. from like 1988 or something. really, really bad rapping but decent late 80s hiphop cuts underneath.

278d7e64a374de26f==