PDA

View Full Version : Worth changing?

FILTERZ
22-07-2004, 09:24 AM
I am thinking of selling my very good EMU sampler and Mackie 32-8 buss mixer and buying a yamaha 01x firewire interface and daw instead,
this looks the nuts, 28 digital channels with eq , compression, gating and limiting on every channel 8 analogue i/o ,motorised faders and such transport controls for cubase , £1000 .
My friend has one but has not started using it yet he is also used to using
analogue mixers.
Question for anyone who has made the switch from analogue to digital desks

WAS IT WORTH IT ? and ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE SOUND?

DJZeMig_L
22-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Honestly??? Wait and check yer friends setup, with a little time U'll c if it will work 4 ya!

I am moving more and more down the digi way...

amazing vst is, 1 powercore + 1 UAD1... what else do I need (mind u I don't do live work)..

Z

messyfuture
22-07-2004, 02:57 PM
i actually had a 01V before i had an analogue desk,

i still have my 01v and a mackie 1604 dont know which i like more they both have there advantages

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

keep your mackie and get the 01X thats the answer

xfive
22-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Like you said.. .both have their advantages.. but maybe this will help your decision:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1576

g
22-07-2004, 07:40 PM
that is, if you like those blokes. :neutral:

"Howlett says that Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned was conceived in his bed and in his garden! His initial ideas were captured using a laptop and five pieces of equipment taken from his studio - a Phoenix valve compressor, a Culture Vulture distortion unit, a Korg Micro Keyboard, a Manley Valve EQ and a 1980s Korg MS20 analogue keyboard. Music was written on the laptop using Reason"

i love how this nearly doesn't make sense. damn journalists

xfive
22-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Heh regardless of if you like him, there's plenty of merit in what was said about the mixer ;)

FILTERZ
22-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Like you said.. .both have their advantages.. but maybe this will help your decision:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1576

:love: i do love my 8 bus,but im tempting

sash
23-07-2004, 12:32 AM
i read an interview with Orbital in Future Music and they talked about how they switched over to digital, and how they could never get the bass right.

Then after a while they went back to their analogue gear (synth and mixer) and everything was fine again.

Dave Clarke uses a yamaha digital mixin desk and he gets crackin basslines.

g
23-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Heh regardless of if you like him, there's plenty of merit in what was said about the mixer ;)
true. and while i think the yamaha thing is great, if i already had a mackie 32/8 (and it was paid for) i'd never get rid of it.

Debroglie
23-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I think my advice would be to keep the Mackie 28/8 Bus cause I had a 1604 and sold to get a Yamaha O1V about 6 years ago and the O1V was absolutely rubbish ! Luckly I sold it for what I paid for it 2 weeks later . Now I use a 28/8 bus and wouldn't let it go for anything ! Also I was using an Akai Z8 until few weeks ago and sold it to get a Digi002 Rack and couldn't be happier , cause not only is it a solid FW interface you also get to use Protools LE which supports Sidechaining which is a wicked bonus for myself and probably anyone else producing Techno. To me the O1X seems cool , but for the price you could do much more with PT. :roll:

DeBroglie

DJZeMig_L
23-07-2004, 03:46 PM
what exactly didn't ya like about the 01v??

Z

Evil G
23-07-2004, 05:07 PM
this is an interesting discussion.

i'm currently running mixerless, with 6 instruments running into the 8 analog ins of my MOTU 2408mk3. i need more channels, and i'm having a terrible time deciding if i should expand my MOTU system with the 24I/O or if i should get an analog desk and bus 8 channels at a time into the computer.

my main question is, if you make an analog fx loop from a digital system, do you lose too much quality from the d/a - a/d conversions? i guess i could always use a patch bay and put the analog fx inline between the synths and the computer, but it would make automation easier if everything was plugged into the computer all the time and i could route from there.

Debroglie
23-07-2004, 06:28 PM
what exactly didn't ya like about the 01v??

Z

I didn't like the sound off it actually , I felt it wasn't as warm as an analog desk,and the effects were lacking . The only thing I can say good about the O1V was it's automation .
None-the-less I haven't tried the O1V96 yet and I thought it was nice they added inserts on each channel .

xfive
23-07-2004, 07:33 PM
this is an interesting discussion.

i'm currently running mixerless, with 6 instruments running into the 8 analog ins of my MOTU 2408mk3. i need more channels, and i'm having a terrible time deciding if i should expand my MOTU system with the 24I/O or if i should get an analog desk and bus 8 channels at a time into the computer.

my main question is, if you make an analog fx loop from a digital system, do you lose too much quality from the d/a - a/d conversions? i guess i could always use a patch bay and put the analog fx inline between the synths and the computer, but it would make automation easier if everything was plugged into the computer all the time and i could route from there.

I don't think you'd really lose much, but you're dependant on how far the MOTU can be pushed, because you are feeding directly into a digital signal before you even hear the output. This may not be the case if it has the ability to monitor without passing though the convertors first, but then you aren't hearing what the computer is actually receiving (because it may be clipped upon conversion).
If you rig up the mixer correctly though, you should be able to hear what anything sounds like at any stage of the process. Pre-computer, post-computer, pre/post fx.. whatever. All simultaneously too. The thing about mixing it all in the console first and then sending the 8 outs to the computer, is that everything stays analog and you can push those Mackie's hella.

One of these days I need to upgrade my Mackie 16/8 in favor of a 32/8. I really want to run my aux returns back into real channels.. which I can't do now because I'm using them all up.

Automation wise... yeah you're going to be lacking there.. but if you are really hell bent on having it you can get a couple of those Niche Automation Stations http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=1788
and control stuff via midi.
Mackie also had some system that plugged into their 8bus consoles that allowed automation... I forget what it was called though.. and it was a bit expensive (maybe not anymore though..).

If I were you I'd definetly go for the console... the sweepable EQ is also way nice :)

DJZeMig_L
24-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I guess it's all a mater of method...

If I was working with just a simple sequencer I'd treasure my 01v cuase I'd have far more detailed eq, automation, full recall, efxs, dynamics... sure the sound can't b the same if u just think about what has been crammed into such a "tinny" budget.
In my actual setup, evrytime I use midi I get pissed off cause it sounds out off time... so most of times it's adat straight into sx and the seq. all there in audio... My 01v96 is highly underused... but nothing beats total recall when workinbg live or different tracks!

I like mixers that can mess my sound on a pleasant way.. Mackie is a bit 2 clean 4 me (just like the 01v sounded at first)..

Ps I luv the 01v channel overdrive! :)

Basil Rush
26-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Had a lot of experience with 01vs in the past, we had two in a studio for a couple of years.

Generally, 01v feature wise fantastic, however the converter qualitity wasn't fantastic, overall it added a harsh agressive quality to stuff passing through it. The warmer mixes came off the Ghost.

Not used the newer stuff but I think it's going to come down to the quality of the convertors.

That said if anyone wants an 01v we've got one left that's for sale.

FILTERZ
30-07-2004, 10:24 AM
gonna keep my desk and get 2 motu 828 thingy`s and use audio tracks instead of my sampler so i will have 16 channels of audio through my analogue desk, but wont have to **** artound with sampler anymore (even though i love it )
this is the way forward for me i think ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==