PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers For Techno

Trip Head
25-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Due to constant blasting and excessive bass, my speakers in my bedroom, which I use with my decks and computer, are now producing nasty kick sounds when turned up to loud and generally distort a fair bit.

So Iam going to get some new speakers. Wasn't really sure what to look for that would be good for techno, so thought I'd ask anyones opinions on here. I was going to shell out on some monitors for production, but due to limited time to produce and money, I'm just going to replace my current speakers, which are Celestion F20 100w floorstanders (from richer sounds).

So basically any suggestions on speakers to mix techno on, and play other music, for £250-£300 would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed the best place to put it.

Evil G
25-07-2004, 07:59 PM
note that when matching speakers to amp, a strong amp into weak speakers, but turned down, will cause them less damage than a weak amp turned all the way up into strong speakers. it seems backwards, but most times it's the shape of the wave, not the amplitude, that damages speakers.

RichieV
26-07-2004, 05:38 AM
my girlfriend recorded a mix on my studio monitors ( genelecs ) and **** is techno loud and obnoxious . Neadless to say i was worried about my speakers.

Basil Rush
26-07-2004, 09:05 AM
As far as I can tell Genelecs are indestructable. Certainly mine scare the neighbours and make people in the same room convulse before they break. Once I ran them till the little red light came on saying they were overloaded and they turned themselves off for a few seconds. But I had to sit a very long way away to cope with the volume.

This doesn't answer the question tho.

yorkie
26-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Genelec's certainly rule for monitoring,

i don't own any but used some in Uni and they're amazing,

http://www.genelec.com/products/2029a/images/b_2029a.jpg

these are th ones i used!!

yorkie
26-07-2004, 10:14 AM
i think there about £350-400.

would love a pair :twisted:

Trip Head
26-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Cheers for the responses,

but are monitors any good to mix on and play your music on?

Because they are suposed to produce a flat response, are they still as good for mixing techno, when you want loud bass?

Do other people have another set of speakers as well as monitors? Any suggestions on these would be great

Basil Rush
26-07-2004, 03:11 PM
My genelecs sound great with the decks, only problem is that shite production on records really shines through on them. Crap sounds crap whereas with some PA speakers and a big amp almost anything is fun to listen to.

Great records on the other hand sound ****ing wicked.

Actually the 1029/2029s (pictured above) are pretty forgiving, mostly 'cause the bass response only goes down to 60Hz or something, it's when you've got your bass response down to like 30Hz with the big genenlecs (or the mackies which sound identical for the most part) that you start to hear a lot of funny bum in peoples records.

None the less if it's just more bottom you're after you can always turn the bass control up and as long as you've got the headroom then you'll have an exciting club experience.

278d7e64a374de26f==