PDA

View Full Version : Dave Clarke moves to using CDs...

massplanck
27-07-2004, 04:05 PM
DC Press release:

The Move from Vinyl to CD

After some time (I wanted to move to CD in 1997) I
have finally got a machine that i believe is sonically
and technically up to the job of replacing the
hallowed and much loved 1210. I was originally asked
to demo the Technics CD deck in New York at the
beginning of the year but i didn’t have the space in
my calendar, however after finally getting my hands on
one I have concluded that I will now switch over to
cd’s in the short term, this will take some time and
allow me to road test the machine in clubs. Initially
I will bring my own, but would appreciate any
promoters that read this and have budget to either
hire or buy, to supply 2-3 of them, eventually my
technical rider will change and any one with questions
can send either an email to my office or speak to my
road manager direct. Please note that Pioneer/Denon or
other makes of cd decks will not be used, furthermore
technical 1210’s will still be needed.

I know some of you flat earthers will be upset, but
whilst i love vinyl its’ time has been written on the
wall for ages and i felt that Final Scratch and
Albeton live wasn’t for me in terms of interface and
sound quality (although some djs have their own valid
and difference opinions). In my mind at the moment the
pro’s outweigh the cons, it will speed up the both
mine and other producers music to clubs (being cheaper
for smaller labels/artists), the bass frequencies will
be fatter and stereo (in non bridged systems), the
flexibility in mixing techniques not available to
vinyl (and some computer systems ) are exciting, and
it uses a standard that is already tried and tested.
The only cons that i can think of are slower load up
time than vinyl and inability of titling each cd with
vdu outlet to a central LCD. I believe these are not
unsurmountable problems.

I must also say that this is an entirely professional
decision, I am not sponsored by this company.

Finally............
Notice to promo/record companies and artists:
Please from now on can you send both vinyl and cd of
all singles/albums that you feel suit the material
that i play out e.g.: Novamute, Ruskin, inigo Kennedy,
Victim, end2end, twilight, 76, turbo, Birmingham Boys,
DiskoB, Gigolo, electrix etc. etc. etc. Can all cd’s
please be labelled clearly as cdr’s without
writing/print can easily be lost, also please don’t
forget to finalise, and if it has been professionally
mastered please label “production copy”. Only 16bit
44.1 will be played, mp3 will be ignored. Finally, if
you can afford to, than please send any back cat on cd
if you know i have been a fan!

Many many thanks
Dave Clarke

ampassasinbirmingham
27-07-2004, 04:44 PM
clarkey finally comes off his stool----Well sort off

doc12inch
27-07-2004, 04:54 PM
the technics one is shite - the cdj/denon kick its ass all over town

anx
27-07-2004, 05:12 PM
the technics cd deck is pretty close...like playing with a warped vinyl
i still remain a vinyl supporter tho :)

DJMAYA
27-07-2004, 10:15 PM
the idea is kool buit i think id go with final scratch if i had the choice.

romelpotter
27-07-2004, 10:45 PM
NONONONONo records all the way, its part of the culture in my opinion, for me will never be replaced by cd, maybe the cd can be added in somerespect the my records will be with me always

romelpotter
27-07-2004, 10:48 PM
using cd's to play my own stuff would be usefull, i would rather use one of the technics cd players than a final scratch i think
mind you i have neither used a technics cd player or final scratch so i guess i am basing my ideas on falic marketing. :doh:

PDT
27-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Interesting...I support the move (hey, i started on CDs 10 years ago and then switched to vinyl :P).

Would love to see how it all pans out.

djvartan
28-07-2004, 01:01 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

plus he picks a AWFUL cd deck.

:::::PUT DOWN THE CDS ! PICK UP SOME RECORDS !::::::

:cool:

dirty_bass
28-07-2004, 03:28 AM
At last the tides are changing.
Vinyl is so poor as a recording medium.

Komplex
28-07-2004, 03:30 AM
As a muso, it will make it easier to get music out. Especially in this part of the world, vinyl pressing is too expensive and distribution costs are too high for it to be a worthwhile outlet for electronic music.

But yeah, for the older guys its hard to change or adopt a different way of thinking and playing music...

It's all good either way, because vinyl will still be around for the people that prefer it for its qualities.

Komplex
28-07-2004, 03:32 AM
At last the tides are changing.
Vinyl is so poor as a recording medium.

I was going to say this too, but I don't want to start that vinyl vs cd thing that people often have arguments and punch ons about :)

Dustin Zahn
28-07-2004, 03:36 AM
I don't mind collecting vinyl, but travelling with it and playing in clubs blows. The only reason I still mix vinyl is because its so easy to mix beats when you have a 12inch diameter to space out the beats. Who cares what they're doing, make your own choices and do your own thing.

TechMouse
28-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Who cares what they're doing, make your own choices and do your own thing.

This is it really...

As long as what's on sounds good I don't care if it'd vinyl, CD's, mp3 - christ, even cassette if it takes the fancy of whoever's playing. They can stick a Casio "my first keyboard" on demo for all I care as long as it sounds good over a soundsystem.

Keep your eyes (and ears) peeled for my soon to be unveiled arse-kazoo set. Flappy techno.

g
28-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Who cares what they're doing, make your own choices and do your own thing.
indeed, indeed. wise ye, grasshoppah.

but i wonder if there is some connection between the new technics cd decks and mascara?

;)

doc12inch
28-07-2004, 09:53 AM
this is a link to prove how shite the new technics decks are

http://wizbitwonderland.com/video/361_technics01.mov

denon wins hands down - im still going to get a cdj tho

Heroes
28-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I think this can be a heavily debated subject which can be argued from both sides, personally ive never liked the thought of carving a djing career from cd, i bought final scratch to aid my live sets but quickly sold it after audio quality, getting problems and also seeing sets from dj's infront of 2000 clubbers come to a grinding halt because of crashes. Ive seen the impact that mp3 has on the industry and i think if dj's move to cds as a major percentage of their media it will spiral where it wont be financially possible for new breed producers to work, or labels able to pull new talent, piracy will be out of control with cd burners currently being a part of everyday standard computer these days, with internet connection speeds on the rise full blown tracks will be as easy to swap as top trump cards in the playground. I understand that there are concerns about record prices from most countries, but i think we have to look a bit closer at distribution and shops also, i mean if you imagine the average import in countries is probably what £7.00 to £8.00, for most records i sell i have recieved a distributed price of between £1.90 - £2.00 per unit with pressing cost of about £1.00 per unit, you have £1.00 profit and we havnt even got to paying out any running costs of the label yet, phone bills, royalties, elctricity, insurance, mcps, promotion, postage, etc, etc ,etc. As you see if you could sell 10.000 units of each release no problem but thats far from the case in a scene at the moment where selling 2,000 units is considered a major result. So its fine for Mr Clarke to ask for cds for nothing more that a handfull of reasons, probably accumulating to

1: you can programme a start point

2: you can programme a loop, "isnt theres a handfull of stuff doing that anyway"

3: you can save the valuable time getting through customs helping you cram in 2 gigs in a night @ €20,000 each

but probably the most inovative ground breaking use is

4: you can carry your set in your Louis Vitton or Burberry wallet

Now this is not a direct attack at Dave personally because i know that its probably a scene shift, an evolution of technology call it what you will, but mostly it comes from people who have been rewarded plentifully from the scene, Final scratch same thing "Mr Hawtin & Mr Acquaviva" nice idea but the technologies not there to stop the piracy, so why not try to preserve a little of that for the next generation to encourage a flow of inovating talent to shine, or if not who knows what will happen. I mean if Dave had missed his birth slot by 20 years he would have seen its easier keeping "The Wolf" from the doors building the clubs than playing in them.

just a few thoughts no offence

gumpy green
28-07-2004, 10:45 AM
heroes- thats spot on.

Ill never swith to cd, im just a traditionalist/purist/whatever.

I luv vinyl, simple.

Id maybe consider adding cd to my 2 deks but only to play my own stuff that i cant afford to get put on vinyl.

"fuk the cd, real djs use vinyl" - got that scraped into a cd on my bedroom wall........NICE.

Each to ther own tho, fine by me....

.....like to see some turntablist tricks get done on it tho.

And at that price why buy a turntable imation thats more expesive than the real deal......

fitipaldi
28-07-2004, 11:27 AM
And at that price why buy a turntable imation thats more expesive than the real deal......

It's hardly an imitation mate, the control system may be similar but the functions on those cd players are far superior to any vinyl deck. I would love to add a cd deck to my setup but the cost is a bit prohibitive at the moment.

gumpy green
28-07-2004, 11:40 AM

It's hardly an imitation mate, the control system may be similar but the functions on those cd players are far superior to any vinyl deck. I would love to add a cd deck to my setup but the cost is a bit prohibitive at the moment.

suppose its got some functions V doesnt....but vice versa aswell..

anx
28-07-2004, 06:44 PM
the way is see it is that Vinyl has been an excellent medium for decades, and still is an excellent medium.

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

i see no need to replace vinyl....

tioneb
28-07-2004, 10:06 PM
this is a link to prove how shite the new technics decks are

http://wizbitwonderland.com/video/361_technics01.mov

denon wins hands down - im still going to get a cdj tho

i have doen the same things with the technics and MY OWN HANDS and they didnt do that... i geuss that was aprototype and they fixed the bug, or some anti technics guy did that

i tried to scratch as fast as i could with the Technics, and there was NO digital effect ...... So i guess you should igve a try before beleiving this video

jonnyspeed
28-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Dear Promoters...

Please buy 2 or 3 CD decks for me to use when I play and send me your whole catalogue on CD. And forget thinking you can send 1 CD full of mp3 that I can re-burn in a couple of minutes for playing out. I aint doing shit like that - only cd-audio.

chop chop...

Davie

p.s. Oh and a create of Ginsters pasties

S E
28-07-2004, 11:02 PM
very well said mr Wilson! I think it is something everyone should thing about

Dustin Zahn
28-07-2004, 11:07 PM
That video link is bullshit. There is a new movie on floating around on the net called "the truth" that demonstrates that this video isn't real.

Dustin Zahn
28-07-2004, 11:11 PM
I found the video...taken from another forum:

Nope! It's now been noted that the "361_technics01.mov" video was made by someone who had continuing Denon sales in mind - and they were purposely not usign the DZ correctly.

The DZ is designed to provide as a suitable turntable replacement - and as such is NOT supposed to be used in Pitch Lock mode for scratch effects and such. The SL1200/1210 decks do not have pitch lock - so why should a digital replacement have one??

Put bluntly, the "361_technics01.mov" video was made to divert sales away from the new DZ through incorrect use.

There is now an independent video available called "truth.mov". Download the below vid (bout 50meg) and see a grass roots comparison done correctly by someone who actually happens to own a Denon - and has not yet purchased a DZ, but now wants to.

It's a great video to watch - and really illustrates how accurate a DZ truly is when used correctly. (link below) The main fact with the DZ is that the platter does not lose it's cue point position like other products - even when using an mp3 audio file. It's an amazing piece of equipment when used 'correctly'.

www.702dj.com/truth.mov

http://www.702dj.com/truth.mov

miss bass
28-07-2004, 11:24 PM
i have never actually used cd decks yet, would like to try though, i know they cant be too difficult lol, but its something else to play with :)

MARKEG
28-07-2004, 11:39 PM
i say heroes had some very interesting points. computers are in every home but laptops for club/dj pa's are not. they soon will be but by then there'll be new ways and new things you have to buy. vinyl was always so good cause it was so accesable to jo public. i agree with heroes. dave clarke wants convieniece. but jo public wants accesability. sure cd's are accesable but surely we need accesability WITH a touch of exclusivity? vinyl is all of these rolled into one. cd's are not. i really don't know what the future of music is but it sure as hell isnt cd's.

dan the acid man
28-07-2004, 11:45 PM
plus you cant smash cd's over your head :lol:

miss bass
28-07-2004, 11:50 PM

:eh: that would hurt

Tiptoe
29-07-2004, 12:30 AM
i think it probably comes down to boredom for him as well. He may just need tomething fresh to try to keep him interested because there must be that point when you can't get any better or do anything more with vinyl. He has been dj'ing i bet for at least 15 years and might just be bored with vinyl. I don't think cd's are the future either though. I think in the future we could see some lab4 type techno performers now that would spice things up a little

MARKEG
29-07-2004, 12:31 AM

i'd have a go :)

miss bass
29-07-2004, 08:58 AM

i'd have a go :)

:lol: ouch

subsonic
29-07-2004, 09:06 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: mark you utter nutter

da hound
29-07-2004, 12:23 PM
he just wants 2 use c.ds to make life easier on his self **** that vinly will always be number 1 i.m.o

Sunil
29-07-2004, 02:39 PM
The options of playing CDs instead of vinyl has been there for years, I don't give a **** if the new super dooper CD deck pulls pints for me while I'm playing, the fact is that I prefer the physical action playing records , not to mention preferring vinyl over CDs anyway.

serox
30-07-2004, 10:20 AM
something about the 12" that drives the girls crazy anyway.

serox
30-07-2004, 10:26 AM
why has he said he would not use anything other than the technics cdex?

if he really will not use any of other cdex, many places will have to go out and buy them. + all the fans will want em for xmas eh.

is there really much difference between the models with the cdex?

doc12inch
30-07-2004, 10:56 AM
why has he said he would not use anything other than the technics cdex?

if he really will not use any of other cdex, many places will have to go out and buy them. + all the fans will want em for xmas eh.

is there really much difference between the models with the cdex?

the denons are the best out of all table top cd decks why he uses the technys i have no idea.

maybe they payed him some money to endorse them.

i heard the technics being used - theres digital distortion when the platter is moved backwards and forwards.

imagine if your scratching and you can hear that crap going thru your sample.

surprised technics launched such a shite product.

cdj's all the way for me

ampassasinbirmingham
30-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Just imagine mr clarkes + maybe someone like roger sanchez + a few other big name artists make such a request =

technics in most clubs therefore becoming the infamous "Industry Standard", blowing all competition out of the water.?????

Tony
30-07-2004, 12:57 PM
please send any back cat on cd
if you know i have been a fan!

if you've been a fan and have peoples records then record them yourself, considering you probably didnt even buy them then copyright is out of the window anyway.

lazy bastard!!

gunjack
30-07-2004, 01:03 PM
deafmosaic would like to announce that as of today, Gunjack will only be playing exclusively with the hip bones of party girls. we realize that this may cause quite a stir with the vinyl loving public, but ask that you please send ONLY top party girls, with your tracks recorded on their hip bones. this way i can touch lots of sexy girls and will not have to bring my records overseas any longer. thanks for your attention. :cool:

Dustin Zahn
30-07-2004, 06:53 PM
i heard the technics being used - theres digital distortion when the platter is moved backwards and forwards.

imagine if your scratching and you can hear that crap going thru your sample.

surprised technics launched such a shite product.

cdj's all the way for me

Obviously you've never played on them and only watched the shit movie which is false. If you look above at my other posts, there is a movie proving that hoax wrong. It shows that you can indeed use it for turntablism if you turn off the one of the buttons.

278d7e64a374de26f==